5.09 – Bullying for a good cause
529 12 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5.09.png

Aurora walked over to Mocha to wrap arms around her. 

 

“Your situation will be up in the air for a while. Relax,” she said softly, squeezing. 

 

“Hey…” An idea occurred to Aurora and she turned her eyes to Redline Racer. 

 

“You could bring Bombshell here actually, maybe if she’s not in a ‘do not move’ kind of a situation.  The more the merrier, at least.  I might not be able to entirely heal her. I say that because I don’t know the extent of my powers, but I bet I can at least shorten the time it’ll take for her to recover.”

 

Redline nodded. “I know. We don’t all understand our limitations until it’s too late.” She laughed. “I can call Dragonmage and see if he’s willing to teleport her, not that it’d be a gentler way to travel than if I got her.  We’ve all experienced his teleportation skills firsthand, but you have no idea even after seeing our landing. Anyway, mind if I use the computer?” She asked, pointing at it. 

 

“As usual, he’s on monitor duty, so it’ll probably be easier to get him that way, rather than by card communication.”

 

“Why can’t you contact your monitor station with your special card?” Mocha asked.

 

Redline Racer blinked, looking at her. “I can, but I usually either run over to talk directly with someone I want or else I use my personal computer. I don’t use my card that often. It’s usually kind’ve slow by comparison, so I don’t really know how to do everything on it like computers.”

 

“Your card is slow compared with your computer?” the inquisitive fugitive asked.

 

“I know where everything’s on my PC,” Redline said, getting visibly frustrated. “Can I use the PC, or not?”

 

Mocha shrugged and pointed at Aurora, who could only laugh softly while Mocha spoke for her, “Just asking. I would guess that you can since you’re a member of the Society of Sentinels.  Only, I’m not allowed.” Mocha pouted.

 

Redline still waited until Aurora nodded. “Yeah. You don’t even have to ask since this is a clubhouse to be… not that it’s very well-appointed at the moment.  Treat it like one, even though it’s just a few rooms right now.

 

With a blur, the speedster was already typing at lightspeed. “Okay! And here we are!”

 

Dragonmage’s face appeared on the screen and behind him was the inside of the monitor room. “Dragonmage here.  Go ahead.”

 

“It’s me, Redline Racer. Can you teleport Bombshell here now? Aurora can heal her arms! How come she can heal Bombshell you can’t? Don’t you have healing spells?”

 

Dragonmage shook his head. “Using magic to circumnavigate the healing process is not necessary at this time.  It’d be karmically irresponsible to use my magic in such a trivial matter,” he said with a slight frown. “She’ll heal on her own.  There should be no issues.”

 

Redline Racer shrugged and rolled her eyes. “Pfft, whatever. Can you port her here or not? Aurora’s gonna fix this for you.  See, that’s probably what you saw when you looked into the future, isn’t it?” she suggested. “Aurora would step up and do it.”

 

“I don’t ‘look into the future,’” Dragonmage said sourly, “that too is an act of irresponsibility. The future is intended to be unknowable for a re---”

 

“Not listening anymore!” Redline declared, interrupting him. “Please ‘port Bombshell over?”

Dragonmage sighed. “You don’t need her.”

 

“Ah, I see all my views on heroes aren’t completely off the mark,” Mocha muttered.

 

“You’re making us look bad!” Redline glanced at Mocha and stared at Dragonmage on screen.  “C’mon!”

 

“Our reputation isn’t of any consequence,” Dragonmage said dispassionately. “My only concern is maintaining balance and administering celestial justice.”

 

“Look, you green ogre! Are you going to send her or not?” Redline Racer pressed, growling.

 

Dragonmage finally glared, rubbing his temples and sighed. “Fine. I’ll send her over as soon as she reports to the monitor room.”

 

“Thanks, ‘Mage! I knew I could count on you!” Redline said with a bubbly tone.

 

“Dragonmage signing off,” he said curtly as he shut down the connection.

 

Redline spun in the chair she occupied and grinned, giving a victory sign with her fingers. “Bombie’s gonna be thrilled!” Redline exclaimed. “Thanks so much, Aurora!”

 

Mocha looked at Aurora with a shrug. “More ‘heroes.’ The more the merrier, you said.”

 

“No problem!” Redline said, “I’ll do what I can to help you, Mocha…” She looked at the frowning girl to add, “Yeah… but Bombshell is another really cool lady of the Sentinels.  It’s true that some heroes are like the sourpuss Dragonmage… very serious about balancing things, but look at what the Midnight Avenger and Vanguard have been willing to do for Aurora and you today.” 

 

Aurora nodded. “I second that.  Bombshell’s a wonderful person. She’s very cool like Molly here. Everyone's doing what they can to help things turn out for the best. Even if a small percentage of them are like Dragonmage, heroes still aren’t what you expected, right?”

 

The girl didn’t respond. She pursed her lips and frowned.

 

Redline jumped out of the computer’s chair to bolt over to Mocha to pat her arm. “Stop stressing so much, girlfriend.” But the touch didn’t land. Mocha stepped back.

 

“We still don’t know what the Midnight Avenger’s doing right now!” Mocha sourly declared.

 

There was a slightly uneasy silence for a few moments after Mocha brought up the subject. Few people knew what he was up to at any given moment  Redline opened her mouth to respond, but at that moment, the draconic portal reappeared with the same special effects heralding it, just a bit smaller.

wingsbreak.png

38