5.17 – Existential crisis
541 12 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5.17.png

“You’ll have to come along.” Vanguard smiled. “Sorry, but we can’t just let you go for even a day if we go to the beach, can we?”

 

Mocha raised an eyebrow at the invulnerable hero. “Am I being railroaded?”

 

“Basically,” Dynamech said.

 

Aurora laughed. “Except it’s more like a metaphorical ‘freedom train.’” She said dryly. “Cheer up, you!” She patted Mocha’s head.

 

Mocha blushed and crossed her arms. “I’ve… I’ve not been to the beach since I was little…”

 

Bombshell headed for the exit. “Make sure you get her a bikini. No big suits!” She wagged a finger without turning before heading up the passageway.

 

Vanguard put a hand on Mocha’s shoulder, making her flinch. 

 

“Young lady,” he said, “We expect great things from you. If you have inventions you want to deploy, let me know. I may have an outlet for you once I examine them.”

 

“Do you expect me to just hand you my father’s work?” she asked sharply.

 

Vanguard smiled and shook his head. “It’s your choice,” he said. “If you want to better the world, work with us. And we’ll work with you to do it.”

 

Mocha looked at Aurora and then back to Vanguard. “I will never forgive you for what happened to my father.”

 

Vanguard shrugged. “That, too, is your choice, Miss Hearrn, and once this issue is resolved, if you feel you want a stronger measure of justice, perhaps we can talk about that.” He looked at Aurora and nodded as he walked to the exit. “All right everyone, let me know if anything develops here.”

 

“Thank you for coming,” Aurora said softly, watching him go.  “Thanks for giving Mocha so much understanding.”  The girl was quite stubborn, but she was changing.  Aurora gave her a wry look.

 

“What?” Mocha asked.

 

Vanguard turned to salute and left, leaving the remaining members in the clubhouse-to-be.

 

“So now that all the punchers are gone, anyone want to play some cards?” Dynamech asked. “Aurora, have you given any thought to my invitation? I can meet you wherever you like.”

 

“She’s not interested, drop it,” The Avenger said, stepping firmly between the two.

 

Dynamech shrugged. “I’d rather hear it from her, but let’s not argue at this point.”

 

Mocha huffed.

 

Aurora smiled thankfully at the Midnight Avenger and then at Dynamech.  “It’s true what he said.  No offense, Dynamech, but I’m involved with someone at the moment. Like I said, I’m flattered and I hope that won’t affect your offer of friendship and help. I would like to get to know you and everyone else better.”

 

“It was purely offered in friendship,” Dynamech replied.

 

The Avenger chuckled ruefully.

 

Redline rushed to Aurora’s side to whisper into her ear, “I think they BOTH like you,” she said, “But poor Mocha, she’s feeling left out.”

 

Mocha seemed to be mesmerized by watching Dynamech and Avenger quipping at each other.

 

“I hope this clubhouse can be finished sometime soon.” Redline Racer said. “I’d suggest we do what Dyna suggested and play a game or something to pass the time and socialize, assuming we have that time.” She shook her head. 

 

It was strange to think that M.A. still might have a thing for Aurora even after knowing her true age.  The point, of course, was that he was protecting Aurora from unwanted advances.

 

“I hope you’re still feeling good about the Sentinels, Mocha.” Aurora shook Mocha from her thoughts.

 

“Hm?” Mocha blinked. 

 

“Are you alright?” Aurora inquired, patting the girl’s cheek.

 

“I’m fine. I was just noticing how popular you seem to be.  Usually girls as popular as you are don’t much like me.”

 

Aurora giggled at Mocha’s suggestion of her popularity. “Trust me. I don’t have much experience with being popular, if that’s what it really is.  Maybe that makes the difference? But assuming that’s what it is, I’d like to think it’s more about the kind of person that I am. Let’s change the subject and talk more about you, tell me more about your school life.  You mentioned being happy back then.”

 

Mocha shrugged. “I like being in school. I’m smart, so I can pass the tests. I’m not ugly or heavy, so boys like me.  I’m not popular because I do well, but I’m friendly enough that I can make friends. It’s simple and I miss having friends who aren’t complicated.”

 

Redline spoke, “Hey, well, it’s not that complicated with us, is it? I mean, aside from secret identities, of course. Ooooh! Are you going to become her sidekick now? Aurora’s I mean,” Redline asked with a happy grin. “I wish sometimes that I could share my powers with my brother.  We could be a superspeed team together.”

 

Aurora giggled. “You’re just too awesome, Redline.” She looked down at Mocha. “Am I really too complicated to be your friend?” I’ve been asked to take you in and look after you after all this is done.  It’s really just a formality.  I don’t know what the future will hold when everything’s been cleared up.”

 

“Dealing with my father’s death.” Mocha sighed. “Having to carry out his final wishes… that’s the complicated thing I was talking about. And now that I’m not a real girl according to him.” She pointed at Dynamech. “That means that I really won’t get any older than this. That it’s not just good martial arts that keep me young and… I’m actually made of metal under… all this?” She gestured at her body. “I should be honest and just tear this facade off and show everyone my true face.”

 

Aurora winced.

 

“No! Why would you do that?” Redline asked. “You’re a cute girl. I’m sure we can help you age if you want… plus, we’ll need to get you a costume and a codename.”

 

Mocha sighed glumly. “I went by ‘Mechanica,’ in honor of my father.”

 

Redline smiled softly. “Well, you’re your own person. We need to decide on what your new codename will be.”

 

“I may not even want to be a sidekick or even a partner.” Mocha grumbled and kicked at the floor.

 

“Why not?” Redline asked thoughtfully. “It’s a lot of responsibility, yeah, but think about the great feeling you get when you help people.  We all do it because it makes us happy, saving people, putting an end to evil plots that hurt others, going into action. And yeah, we’re not universally loved, but it’s enough for us when people do cheer for us.”

 

“The adulation of the crowds!” Dynamech said, breaking off his traded quips with the Midnight Avenger to join the women’s conversation.

 

Avenger turned with him. “Or how about the satisfaction of having done a job well?” He added quietly.

 

Aurora smiled. “Bottom line, things aren’t exactly going to be the way they were, maybe, but no one is going to force you to be a hero if you don’t want that.  It would be fine to just have you a member of my family.”

 

Mocha shook her head. “If I tear off my skin, I could be a fearsome ally of justice.” She said with a sullen smile. “Who takes a young girl seriously?”

 

Dynamech went to a knee beside Mocha. “Look, you are about the cutest robot ever made.  So, you should stay like you are. You can be a hero even if you’re adorable.”

 

The Midnight Avenger facepalmed.

 

Mocha huffed. “So what am I to you all? A robot? A girl?”

 

“A girl.” All three except for M.A. spoke together.

 

Mocha paused and looked at the Midnight Avenger, who hadn’t commented. “What do you think?”

 

“Both.” The Midnight Avenger shifted his stance. “You’re a robot who is also a real girl. There’s no point denying what is, but you don’t have to be organic to be real, either.  I know a very noble man who happens to be artificial. It doesn’t make him any less noble, nor any less of a man.”

 

Aurora looked into Mocha’s face and smiled. “And I’ve shared my standpoint. Your being a robot doesn’t change a thing.  I knew that from the start.” Aurora took Mocha’s hands to squeeze them. “I think that any person could walk around without a face with the help of surgery and painkillers, but it sure wouldn’t be pretty.  No one goes around showing off their skulls unless they’ve got no choice.”

 

Mocha frowned thoughtfully. “So what, Do I just go to your school and afterwards home every day?  You’re too old for my classes, I think.”

 

Sweat drops.  She’d almost spoiled her secret identity and quickly covered for it.

 

“Well,” Dynamech shrugged. “That’s fairly true. No offence, of course, but there’s no way unless Aurora was held back about three or four years in a row. I highly doubt that’s the case.”

 

The Avenger spoke up. “I already have information. You’ll be where Aurora can keep an eye on you most of the time.”

 

Aurora smiled gratefully at the Avenger. “It’s like he said, we have it all planned out. If you trust us, you’ll find out things will be better than you’re afraid of.  Do you trust me?”

wingsbreak.png

40