5.22 – The void’s path
519 8 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5.22.png

Aurora and Redline Racer skirted the area together, though Redline led the way.

 

To be certain that she wouldn’t be spotted in the sky, Aurora dimmed her forcefield as low as possible, though she couldn’t completely turn it off. It would be unwise to do so.  Aurora dropped down to skim across the terrain after the speedster and shadowed her as though she might have a chance of hiding in Redline’s shadow, but considering that Aurora’s wings were spread to either side, flapping.

 

When they neared the cave’s entrance, Redline gestured, pressing a hand towards the ground. Aurora nodded and held onto Redline’s shoulders and let herself land to match her pace.  As they stepped to the front, what Redline said she saw earlier was still apparent, flashes of red in preternatural darkness.

 

Aurora felt the energy inside at the edges of her aura, the pure blackness and a more peculiar signature.  This darkness inside the cave felt a little like Black Angel’s void energy.  It wasn’t quite the same, but it was actually frightening despite that.

 

Seeing Aurora’s reaction, Redline pulled the angel to the side and put a hand to her chest. “Are you alright?” she asked softly.

 

Aurora shook her head. “I’m fine… I’m just picking up some weird vibes in there. Maybe off the ship too.  The way it feels… it’s scary.  Like Black Angel, but scarier for some reason. I don’t know how to put this…” Aurora pursed her lips, thinking about what Black Angel had told her back in the Acropolis.

 

“… something special has awakened.  Darkness incarnate.  Leona, you’ll be drawn to it soon… and in the end we’ll be together.  It will be a marriage of epic proportions. Trust me when I say that you’ll be very safe, nestled deep in my heart and I’m sure that you’ll cherish me... “

 

Redline nodded, wetting her lips. “Eh… scary stuff’s pretty standard in the Sentinels.” She chuckled softly with a gesture with one hand she said,  “Come on.”

 

Aurora nodded and followed around the corner and with caution, they plunged into the depths to the darkened area.  “Can you light this up?” Redline looked over her shoulder at the softly glowing heroine.

 

With a slight frown, Aurora nodded. “I’ll try.  I've been suppressing my aura to hide, but we’re inside now.” With a sigh, she loosed the bonds on her aura and her luminescence went from a dim flickering to something like nearly the luminosity of the sun.

 

“They’ll probably see us in no time now,” Aurora warned. “It’ll get dangerous when they do.” When the deep darkness was barely illuminated by this level of radiance, Aurora sighed and created a light-emanating construct of a lantern to float with them.  It lightened things a smidge, but again not by much.  Shaking her head at the oppressive void energy, Aurora led the way into the passageway and within moments she felt something that accompanied it. With every step, she felt a bit heavier as though the deeper they plumbed, the more the tension elevated.  

 

Redline darted ahead. “I’m the senior member here,” she said dryly. “I should take the point. I can react faster and warn you.”

 

Dearest one… Black Angel crooned softly in Aurora’s mind. You’re almost there… can you feel it?

 

Aurora groaned. “Of course she’d wake up again.”

 

What do you want? Something here’s already got your attention?

 

Is this any way to ask your love a favor? Black Angel teased.

 

At least be useful and tell me what woke you up.

 

Aurora walked after Redline, though she was keeping far ahead, barely within sight. I told you already.  Pure darkness. Dark Angel musically laughed.

 

Stop beating around the bush! TELL ME SOMETHING I DON’T KNOW!

 

For a change you actually want me to talk? Fufufu… very well.  It’s incredibly dull when you won’t have a conversation worth anything with me, sweet one.  What you’re approaching is actually a part of the Oubliette Nebula. Didn’t I show you it in all its grandeur in your dreams, or perhaps you forgot it in all this excitement? It’s a piece of our greatest source of power. It scares everyone who first glimpses it, but given time and familiarity…  you’ll come to understand how it’s come to become the heart of the people of Empyr. Power. Unrestrained. Unchained by… principles… True freedom.

 

Aurora shook her head, swallowing as Black Angel finished,  Fufufu… stay on your guard.  I promised you that I wouldn’t make any offers, but I couldn’t help.  Think of this as a prophecy, so to speak.  I’ll be near if you need some help.

 

Redline slowed and returned to Aurora’s side, looking into her eyes. “Why are you walking so slowly?  Something’s on your mind.”

 

“Literally.  Thanks for your concern.” Aurora sighed again. “Redline, there’s a connection between this ship and the Empyreans.  I have Black Angel’s power, just the light side more accurately. But there’s something I haven’t told anyone but Mistral yet. The villain’s riding along up here.” Aurora tapped her right temple. “Black Angel.  Mistral says it’s just some kinda side of me deep inside, if I let go. This isn’t something I really want to advertise. Long story short, what’s inside there beside the villains is a fragment of the Oubliette Nebula matter.  I’m anxious about it because that’s the energy source that made them what they are today. I’ll have to be extremely cautious to make sure that doesn’t happen to me.”

 

Redline looked at Aurora for a long moment.  Her eyes narrowed and she looked up at the ceiling of the cavern, her eyes far away for a short time, but she looked at Aurora to say, “You should wait outside for Bombshell, in that case.  No one told us this was Empyrian stuff.” 

 

Redline forced a smile and squeezed Aurora’s shoulder. “Go on. I’ll be okay, even if it’s pitch black.” Redline stepped away again and her outline became hazy and hazier as she moved away.

wingsbreak.png

“A trial is now upon her,” Dragonmage muttered.

 

“You’ve been muttering that for a while.” Vanguard laughed. “Don’t worry so much, my green friend.”

 

Dragonmage shook his head as he stared at Ouroboros’ coils. “It becomes more clear the more I decipher his scales rippling.” The typically impassive mage turned his eyes on Vanguard and licked his lips. “And yet, everyone must remain here. This trial is hers.  There are two clear paths that lead from this juncture.  One leads to the destruction of Earth and the enslavement of this world.  The other, salvation.”

 

“For you to be so anxious is uncharacteristic, to say the least,” Vanguard mused, rubbing his chin. “I trust your judgement and your gut feelings.”

 

“I don’t have such base ‘feelings.’ You are right about one thing, however.” The Dragonmage nodded. “All will be as our karma ordains.”

wingsbreak.png

34