36 Smallest Consequences
310 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Tokito POV>

Rubbing my forehead, to my dismay my migrane doesn't abate, but it’s not as horrible as the beginning. Going by what the mouse said,  it’s for the best we move on and meet up with Belace later. Especially since I can’t think straight right now.

Not that I think straight all the time to begin with…..

Geeeeeez….

Now I’m starting to crack bad jokes to myself! Fuuuaaaaghhhh! Man, I’m way too stressed these days! I need to talk with my psychiatrist and my freaking pills!

Standing up, I see Makamae and my kids dragging the neglectd bag over to me. Picking it up, a letter flutters from the opening falling to the ground.

A notification rings.

 

Ding!

[Transfer of the chaos artifact: Jewel Creation Sack complete! You are now the owner of a Lv. 10 of a Unique Resource production bag! There are 9 empty slots left! ]

Buzz!

[Beware! Anyone who tries to use this item without your permission will be cursed with a permanent random debuff!]

 

What the hell!

I quickly open the letter.

 

-

Ah My Cute Crossbreed!

If you are reading this, that means you must've accepted my mediocre gift of the jewel bag. For whatever amount of chaos you put in it will give you an equal exchange for any precious stone you want in return. I understand this isn’t what you’d need since you don’t value monetary resources, but I couldn't think of what you’d like or want (and in all retrospect, thinking of what I might've done might be taken as an insult given the circumstances). But as a dgin, I believe you may have use for it someday..... And please, don’t assume this is payment for me taking our children. I simply wanted to compensate for not arriving earlier causing unnecessary harm via negative karma. Now you must be wondering, "why o why he must’ve abducted the children"….. Regrettably, matters dictating the survival of our race implores me not to tell you. Know this though, while under my care no harm shall befall them.

From Amahte

P.S  We'll meet again soon!

 

 

My anger grows with each word, and upon reading the last words, I throw the bag far afield.

….Screw you! Who wants your money!

 It ends up flying far into the grass. My migraine thumps more intensely, stopping me from taking heed that the children quickly runs to retrieve the discarded bag, I begin trekking the dirt road.

Walking at an unhurried pace, we eventually near crowds of travelers on the cross paths passing the city gate. Being in the throngs of many people, my heads spins even worse. If as to say that wasn't enough, my mind is nearly obliterated as Calamity's voices remind me of my other tame.

“Tokito, remember to put Makamae in the chaos space before someone decides to snatch him away…. By the way, it’s about time you let Ele'ele and Alaula out before they get sick. Unless… you know…you don't mind them going insane from staying in the chaos energy for too long.”

 

Paying little attention to the fact we're in the middle of the road, I swiftly trade Makamae with a sad ele'ele and vexed Alaula.

“Waaauuuggghhh! Master you’re so mean! Why did you leave me alone with the crazy she stag and scary people?!”

“OH, you’ve got to be joking! Not only did I have to endure this rat’s boo hooing, but there was hardly anything to eat while in that horrible place! Ah! My poor mane shriveled from not getting any sun beams!”

 

Ignoring the two’s stupid tantrum, I motion everyone to walk along the path by the city wall. People traveling in the opposite direction steered clear of us as they didn't want to be trampled by the large neighing horse.

 

Aaaauuugh….Alaula is attracting too much attention, but not fair to put her back in the chaos space….,

“Alaula go run around for a while… I’ll call you when if there's any trouble….” Saying these few words sapped my mind, making me extremely exhausted.  I have to lean against the city wall to keep from falling over. Alaula neighs in displeasure at being told what to do, but runs ahead into the grass field after seeing my sick figure.

 ….You’d think she’d be happy to run around freely, but noooo. She has to give me attitude… OOOOOhhhhh, my head. The words slip out before I realize it'

“I wish I could find some place to rest.”

Suddenly, I hear a thud from behind. The children cry out pointing in the direction of the crowd. Trying to stand properly, I see a small figure running holding the bag I threw earlier.

 I know I should stop that person, otherwise something terrible might happen…., but I'm so tired. Both of my kids take me by my hands and pull me off the wall, spurring me into action.

Aaaaawww, my kids are so nice! Trying to help me is getting me an energy boost. Now I just need to push through this crowd!

Sending ele'ele ahead, with great effort I pursue that rapscallion against flowing traffic. 

Slowly catching up, the thief spots me rounds a corner splitting off the road, to an empty back road behind the city. When we're about to pounce the thief, they slow to a stop, and along with ele ele suddenly disappear into thin air. Running to where they stopped, I find nothing that indicates where the two vanish. Tempted to give up, I lean on the wall tired, but fall as nothing catches under my arm.

Wha-

On the ground, I see where I fell through has hole that wasn’t there before. The kids quickly run past me after the thief.

What the hell! Did he just make the wall fade away like in H@rry P0tter! Dammit! These thieves are good! I swear if there’s a magic cloak that makes people invisible, Calamity's gonna have to tell me how to get one !

…….

 

<3rd POV>

 

 Tokito quickly ran after the thief, never saw that glowing glyphs circling the opening. Not far behind where Tokito and the kids were but moments ago, footsteps could be heard. Four guards walk the perimeter of the city wall, investigating every corner, seemingly pursuing if anything is amiss. On their shoulders, metal blobs constantly change from silver to purple. The leader motions his squad to stop the pursuit as they found nothing abnormal in the surroundings.

With the slivers no longer reacting, squad lead orders, “Turn back, we'll convene with group A. They must’ve found a lead in the south plain by now.”

One of the younger guards protest.

“But sir! There must be something nearby! Otherwise why would the slimes bring us all the way here?”

“Then please, enlighten me to where the chaos could possibly be coming from?!”

Raising his arm to point to the wall and open fields the lieutenant yells, “Because all that’s here is grass!” Feeling that the argument was wasting precious time, the leader starts walking back.

Not wanting to be punished for disobeying orders, the guards step in toe right after him. They nor their silver slimes spot the glowing glyphs, pass the entrance by, heading to the city gate.

……..

 

<Tokito POV>

Pacing, I sprint around bends, jump over crates, heed the street becoming very grim. The crumbling houses reminded me about the places in town mom always told me to avoid. The street slowly turn to a covered mess of (what I hope is) stinky mud, making a ghastly unkempt scene. The lamps, bent out of shape flickering off and on, brought the headache I've been ignoring, back to the fore front .

Slightly dizzy, I run faster, to catch up to the kids and thief. Not liking this eerily quiet place, with haste I want to recover bag and get out of there. Maybe my adrenaline rush finally kicks in, but I finally manage to reach my kids and ele'ele, who happen to corner the pickpocket in front of an old abandoned house. Closing the gap, I see the thief was a small frightened malnourished boy. Shaking like a leaf, scared of us closing in, but wanting to protect his stolen goods, menacingly glares at us, clutching tightly onto the bag. I'm tempted to let the kid keep the damn bag. But, there nothing good inside, only pain .

Fuuuuuuu……kid, be glad I’m not a sociopath; otherwise I'd gladly give you that stupid bag. Besides, it doesn’t hold the food or money you hope for-.

But, as if my body wants to remind me of my exhaustion, my ears ring and vision shakes. Black dots pop up wherever I look.

Aaaaahhhhh my head.

Too tired to reprimand the kid, I snatch the bag, and then vomit inside. The bag, must’ve of taken it for chaos energy, as a bunch of different colored diamonds form from the sludge.

Groggy and sleepy, I dazzedly stare at the malnourished thief.

“Hey kid, you want this?” The boy surprised that a gem came out of puke bag, nods his head. “Then let me rest at your place.”

Oh yup, there goes my adrenaline rush….

Unable to keep my eyes open, I collapse into unconscious.

*******

<Belace POV>

 

Back at the Adventure Guild…..

 

After both Stozo and Sila sat me and Gilbert down, they told me what’s happened since separating from the caravan, and why they needed us come back.

 “So you’re tellin’ me tha’ Merc guilds withholding your cargo, claiming sincethose raiders made a move on ya, tha’ your caravan could be carrying somethin’ dangerous…… I don’t see how that’s bad…. Except, arresting an’ separating anyone from your caravan has to be a crime since there ain’t any proof yet of your people doing illegal activity. And Stozo, the guild shouldn’t be able to suspend your merc’ license whilst you’re also under investigation. As long as you stay near the city, doing such a thing is going overboard, even from my point of view.” I look at the two mopping over their drinks. Not getting a reaction, I ask, “If you don’t like the decisions made against you, then why not simply file a complaint to the mayor’s office?” I ask Stozo and Sila.

They look at me like I asked the dumbest question in the world.

Taking a swig from of his beer, Stozo lays out to me why this wouldn’t work.

“Alas, comes as it may, the mercenary guilds orders are technically playing by the books. Although excessive, in the eyes of the law their actions can be are seen as upright.” Stozo shakes his head in bewilderment. “Honestly I don’t mind that my card was suspended. Right now, I’m more worried about the people that were taken away. Most of them were offspring kin and pure fox beast men.” Stozo looks at me with a sad expression. “I think we might have to assume the worse possibility we might not get them back.”

I stared at him ….. No….the mayor wouldn’t allow such things to be permitted! Especially to kids that haven’t been proven to have committed any crimes! I look at Sila, hopeful she would tell me my thoughts are wrong. Instead my nerves heighten in fear, she looks down and grips her cup until it cracks.

Sila calls for a new cup along with the guild strongest alcohol, “The most likely result of the investigation will be that we're found guilty. Someone insignificant will be planted with incriminating evidence, which will force us to stay until the whole caravan doesn’t have a single coin to leave the city. The offspring that’s been taken for ‘their protection’ will be sold in the underground market as debt slaves….. the mayor won’t be able to help. The truth is we’re just a small caravan….and her being a beastman… it won’t look good if she helps us for no reason…..  Or she'd at least need the approval from half of the council and governor to make a move. But everyone knows that exact half of the council will have their grubby hands in this.” sighing in disappointment, gulps down her drink, then stares at me with sour eyes, “Even with the enforcement of the new equality laws, quite a few underhanded dealings between the races continue.”

After digesting that sordid news, I took a hard swig myself

….My hopes in witnessing the day everyone would be smiling, with peace in their noggins after making these fangled rules finally arrived …. But someone always has to find a way to bend them.

What will you be doing in the mean time?”

 

Shruging her shoulders, Sila responds.

 “The caravan's permitted to request for our guards to protect our merchandise. We intended to ask your comrades and the young Quabet to  counter them in the event the mercenaries plant an items on us… but I'll have to give up that option since they're NOT HERE!” She angrily growled at me.

I stare her down, not backing even an inch. Maybe it was the tension, the drinks or…or possibly she saw the centuries of the crap I’ve dealt and witnessed in my life. Sila backs off, no longer wanting to quarrel, stands to leave the guild. Before managing to enter through the doorway, I mention, “Despite how old I may look I capable of protecting your people… all you to do is ask….” I finish my drink, then head to the guilds spare guest rooms, the quiet follows Gilbert not far behind.

Stozo who simply watches our argument, smiles as the doors slam one after the other.

“I guess I'll stick around here to see how everything plays out.” He continues to drink alone.

……..

Getting ready to sleep for the night I wondered how Tokito's fairing being so close to a city.

I pray Tokito be fine right now. Even with no monsters around the city there are lots of people that would give him trouble…. Maybe it'd be best if he broke the rules and stay here for his safety… Especially if he continue haggling, he needs visit the merchant guild and receive a small merchant permit…. I’ll try convincing him tomorrow if he be nearby….   

With that thought in mind, I lay down my weary old bones for the night.

******

<3rd POV>

Despite plans going array, the malnourished boy still able to retrieve a prize from his shenanigans and thankfully wasn’t beat after the weird tall strangers caught him. Unfortunately, his happiness didn’t last. The minute he wriggled his pinky toe into the block kids hideout (added to boot with three strangers), his peers scold him harshly. To make matter worse, their automaton caretaker Mr. Hatter was particularly displeased with him. The automaton made an extra long sermon about the rules all orphans must obey to stay safe.

“You-ou mi-i-ight have be-e-en ki-i-illed i-if these f-o-olks we-e-re fro-o-om the merchaaaant gu-il-ild! Now-ow-ow doooo you-ou-u u-u-uuundersta-a-and the mista-a-akes of your fa-a-alley?” Hatter voice breaks. The boy nods vigorously, not wanting to stay a second longer,  fearing he’d lose his ears and arms. He clearly forgot Hatter dishes out weird punishments of bucket holds when conducting lectures. And with his stutter never fixed, cause the punishment ten times worse since it means holding the buckets up longer.

“Hm-m-m-m…. Ve-e-ery we-e-ell. You-ou-u-u may- ay leave- eave-eve. Gooooo keep-eep wa- atch of our-ur gu-e-est.” Mr. Hatter leaves the boy to find a dealer to sell the jewel so it didn't trace back to them.

Certain the automaton left, the malnourished boy drops the buckets as if they were dumbbells.

“OOOOhhhhh my arms feel like they’ll fall off any second. Why the heck does his lectures have to be so long?!” Rubbing his arms, the boy runs off to check up on the weird strangers. In the empty wine cellar, he discovers odd colored kids hadn't moved from their tall friends side placing him on the dirty matt. The boy inquires where they were from, why they chased him, and why they wouldn’t remove their mask. But each question receives the same answer; with them pointing at the tall man every time. The boy keeps questioning, but is utterly disappointed. The odd colored children refused to let out even the smallest of peep. Bored out of his mind, the boy snoops around the unkempt room, sees in a corner the small flying mouse that flew over him before. In between the mouse’s long teeth was the bag he failed to  steal, then considers if there were even more valuable jewels inside.

Suddenly, the boy hears a a girl and boy yell from behind him.

“Don’t even try it buster!"

"Yeah! Don’t you think you’re in enough trouble as it is.”

The malnourished boy looks behind him to see, the blonde haired, green eyed, human Haris and skunk beastman Coyle returning from the mercenary guild.

Should I increase the amount of chapter per week? Or just write faster period?
  • Audience "Yes you should!" Me "but this might affect my quality!" Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Audience "No! Keep the pace your comfortable!" Me "hopefully my quality will get better" Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Audience "please write faster..." Me "I'll try, but no saying quality went down" Votes: 1 7.7%
Total voters: 13
10