39 What’s going on?
202 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ah! I know what to name you guys!

I nod mentally, proud of my brilliant naming sense.

 “These ones names are-” But the names escape me, several hands grab my face then pulls me from behind. The last thing I see are the kids reach for my hands passing the star door, where it immediately shuts, cutting off a stunned Gilbert.

*****

<Gilbert POV>

Earlier…

After leaving Belace, I immediately head to the religious district. Arriving, other than a few temple caterers, the street was eerily bare of prayers for the morning.  

Gilbert never saw a religious district so empty of life and overgrown with vegetation. The only times he beheld something similar was when followers were required to attend a benediction by their leader, but the silent still air told him this wasn’t  the case. Feeling uneasy by the prayer-less dead air, he strides directly to the Monolith of Dakja. Walking past distressingly idle temples and cathedrals, upon reaching the stone archway, a young three horned  charcoal girl stops his path.

 Judgment strains, his face warps perplexed seeing a child at the door, why is a youngling greeting me at the doorway? Where’s the custodian? Gilbert quickly corrects his posture seeing this girl donne the priestess training robes, and bows his head in submission. No one could fake a priestess garb nor would any mess around with a gods authority if they wanted to keep their soul intact. But to see him at the door, this girl must be the highest authority available. But why?

“Blessings brother, how has the moons path grace you to us on this fogged night?” The devil priestess questions.

“My elder, Dakja’s grace brought me, for no matter how the paths cloud, he will show the night as day and return me to tide.” Gilbert remarks.

The devil girl nods then motions for Gilbert to follow. Inside, the monolith was slightly better than the overgrown street. The floor enchanted with scripture and stories were worn to smithereens as weeds pushed through the foundations of the floor and the air was heavy with the scent of mildew and rust. The devil priestess sits on the least molded pew, staring at the rusted moon alter at the end of the walkway, no longer acknowledging Gilberts presence.

What’s happened here? The neglect of the religious district must have gone on for quite some time, and for this temple not to lapse… why is this priestess in training cleaning by herself?

 “Priestess, I implore you, tell me. How did these blessed grounds turn untended? Why is this holy sanctuary of Dakja decaying?” Gilbert appeals distraught.

“The new head of the mercenary guild took office,” her focus doesn’t stray from the moon alter, “At first everything was fine, but after a few months, followers not of the beast race, became targets of discrimination, and received threats against their lives. Despite the temples best efforts, fear over ruled devotion, and worshipers fled one by one. The high custodians stayed to safe gaud the sanctuaries with the orphans not old enough to leave. The threats stopped and the danger seemed to pass, but we were mistaken. Shortly, donations and volunteers from adventurers and mercenaries grew scarce. Being our only income, rations depleted alarmingly fast, and so the district head took out loans along with the custodians to feed the orphans. To keep the interest low we sold low grade artifacts, praying these trials cease soon and our worries lowered for a while. 

However, the absence of donations continued and the loan interest doubled each day. We sent letters to our brother and sister cities for aid, but never received a reply. When we could no longer hold off on paying, merchants came to our doorstep with debt slavers. The merchants arrested everyone who signed the loan, but found miscalculation in their sell value. The merchant claimed that even if they sold the custodians, the return wouldn’t be enough.

 So they proposed a contract to those who didn’t sign and the orphans ‘if they could pay off the debt in half a years’ time, all loans would be forgiven.’ 

I knew what they planned, howeve, for I had seen a similar situation when I was much younger. The scheming merchants would never let us pay off the debt. Despite my trainee status, I used my right as the next highest power and stopped the orphans from signing such a trapped contract.

 The religious district has been harassed on a constant basis ever since.” The priestess eyes glaze, calling to mind the hardships of fending off harassing merchants and slavers trying to nap the orphans. Days pass, locked inside the gods barriers barely surviving off the scraps dumped by nearby restaurants. She prayed for their wellbeing each time for their bravery to leave those scraps, what was left of the worshipers and orphans would’ve starved to death long ago.

This- How could this happen?! None of the sister cities received a plea for money! If they did, they would’ve informed the closest follower about the crisis. The letters must’ve been intercepted! Who has the gall to hinder messengers- The mercenary guild!

Like a volcano about to pop, Gilberts anger steamed off his head in waves, “Damned fools! Do they not understand! Without the religious district, monsters will no longer fear purification and invade the city border!”

“Shhh!” The devil priestess calms Gilbert, “The era of the gods protection is forgotten while man builds their machines to protect themselves. But this false safety won’t last…tell me brother what is it you seek to have Dokja guide you here?”The devil priestess inquires.

“Elder, you’ve told me exactly what I needed to hear, I’m simply disappointed at not arriving sooner to give aid- there’s  one thing that does bother me though. Do you know what happened to those letters?” Gilbert rises from his seat, facing the young priestess.

Finally the devil girl moves her sight to Gilberts, shock twist her tattooed charcoal face. Why hadn’t she questioned it? The church never ignores a plea for help. And if aid couldn’t be sent, a rejection notice would’ve. What happened to our plea letters? 

“I do not know, but I know someone who might.” The devil priestess leaves the musty hall to a side room, but return swiftly with a fairy boy behind her.

 “This one will lead you to a broker, named Hatter. When the temples and churches had to reject taking in more orphans Hatter took them in. He may have the answers we both seek. But have care. Things may not appear as they seem. Always reject the obvious… May Dokja shine you a clear path.” The devil priestess sees Gilbert and the fairy to the entrance. 

 Seeing them off the devil priestess returns to her pew, but beefier begins to pray notices a bag on the moon altar. Picking it up, she finds it’s filled to the brim with gold coins.

  ……..

 On the outskirts of town, I’m lead to an abandoned house. On the back of it, we pass a cellar entrance, and keep to the right wall until the fairy boy stops at a door with a monocle printed above.

“This is as far as I go. You’ll meet Hatter here.” the fairy boy say, then runs off down the dark corridor where yells and shouts of many young ones drown out his footsteps.

  Seeing how fast the boy dash away, Gilbert nervously turns to the door and grasps the handle, “Excuse me, is the informant broker Hatter he- Oh Almighty Dokja!  What in moons path are you doing?!” I yell taken aback. 

I witness Belaces Student, kneeling over a naked automaton. Apparently, I must’ve interrupted them as the Quabet right hand was just caressing the automatons cheek while his left held down its neck. 

Almighty Dakja! Give me strength to endure not beating the crap out of Belaces student more- huh?! Flustered by the sight, I notice too late and am pushed down by many small hands.

…….

Later…

The quabet was kidnapped! And like an idiot, I froze, dammit! The door stuck fast after the quabet was stolen, and with no way to open it, this weird flying rat and I headed back to Hatter’s hideout….

 …

Now…

The orphans locked me up in their wine cellar!

Praying on a dusty cot, I wait… 

Bang! 

Hatter and two older orphans enter the wine cellar with refreshments. 

Not touching the food I rant.“Hatter! What is the meaning of this? You better have a good reason for locking me up!” I whisper enraged.

“I-I-I dooooo. Your frieeeend Bel-l-lace haaaas been caaapturrrred by-y-y the invest-iiiigation de-e-epartmeent.”  Hatter explains. 

The automaton take an uneven chair from the corner then sits facing me, “Your eeeldeeer asked me-e-e to prooootect you. Sooo ple-e-ease stay until ever-y-y-ything is re-e-esoooolved.” Hatter explains the disturbance which occurred at the adventures guild and if Gilbert were to leave now, he’d be arrested as a witness.

Finished listening, concern rushes Gilbert to rescue his friend. He jumps, and using his much momentum rushes past Hatter, but before he’s able to touch the cell door, the orphans block him. Cornered, Gilbert quickly turns to take Hatter prisoner only to black out as his neck is choppedfrom behind.

 

*****

<Tokito POV>

Later that evening…

Plop!

Clang!

Sizzle!

Tokito awakes to the the sounds of Clamoring and bustling. Not moving, he feels nothing tying him down. In fact, he didn’t seem to be wearing anything at all. 

Disgusted I rip my eyes open and see I’m in a steamy room laying on a message table. 

Huuuh? Wha? Who?.....Man! This situation is becoming ridiculous! How many times have I fainted since I got to this city?! Plop! The second I get out of here I’m learning a freaking faint resistance skill! Step! Otherwise, I’ll have no one but myself to blame if mango head catches me while conked out and kisses me ‘til my lips hurts! 

Wanting to cover up, I  begin to climb off the table. Unfortunately my heightened ears catch the sound of footsteps walking to this room. Not wanting to alert my capturers, I quickly lay back down , and just in time as door opens. 

Three colorful strangers walk in.

Whispers…

(How is he so weak but has such a strong aura!)

(Right, right! Even for a low devolved half breed, he is much too weak! His little ones are even stronger than him.)

(.flesmih gnitcejer s’eh ebyaM) 

 Who the heck are these weirdos?! And as soon as I got used to hearing to these strange rhythmic voices-

Clap!

My breathe hicks!

(ekawa si tseug ruo kniht I) Poke!

Fuck! Who’s touching me my leg?! NNN!  Tokito tries to steady his breathing and succeeds, but it is useless as the strangers see Tokito’s upper muscles twitch, thwarting his illusions of sleep. 

They’ll leave if I stay still long enough… Tokito stillsthinkng he’s fooled his capturers.

 (Ooh !I think your right, right! His shoulders are twitching! teehee ) Rub!

Don’t rub my shoulders! Grrrr! I won’t give you the time of day, just move on already!

( Lets see how long this tall brood will ignore us, mmhhh.. I know! I’ll do something naughty to that nice hair! ) Pulls!

That’s it! Unable to take the prodding and pulling, Tokito flips off the table and wraps his arm around the person pulling his hair in the process, grabbing them hostage!

I finally get a clear look at my clothes stealing capturers. The arm massager looked like puffy fluffy cloud wearing a bikini, my hostage/hair assaulter was literally clear glass wearing a white robe, and the one normal-ash guy is wearing a skirt. 

The skirt guy honestly astonished me the most.- Wha? African?! How- Calamity, you have some explaining to do!

   Staring, the strangers colorfull appearance jog my memory - where are my kids? 

“Children!” I yell, hoping something would react in return.

“Tsk, tsk, you shouldn’t be rude tall brood!” Glass lady reproaches. She suddenly tranforms into a snake and slithers out of my arm hold.

“That’s right, right! If you’re going to be mean expect the same treatment in return.” The fluffy cloud lady reprimands. 

Taking a deep breath she spews smoke into my face, causing me to lose my breath. I hack and cough trying in vain to wave away the smoke.

“.seno elttil eht ot mih gnirb dluohs eW. Deracs dna desufnoc ylbaborp s’eh  .hguone s’taht, seidal, seidaL” The skirt guy speaks gibberish, but somehow the two strange ladies nod in understanding. Cloud lady rein-hale’s back all her choking smoke, privileging sweet steamy oxygen back into my lungs, and stopping my loss of conscious. 

After assuring I wouldn’t faint, glass lady leaves the room, but before I had time to ponder where she'd gone to my stomach shivers. I impulsively cover up as I find skirt guy’s looking intently at my junk, instantly changing the deadly ambiance to an awkward stare down.

“….nerdlihc eht nethgierf edun uoy erofeb sehtolc ruoy teg s’teL”, he says, and then rings a bell. 

An old man entered holding my clothes and mask. At first, I thought he was a servant, but upon a closer look I saw he wore an odd shaped horse shoe collar. Is that what a slave collar looks like? But that makes no sense! It looks like he could easily take it off  if he wanted to, but- My thoughts are interrupted. 

The old man tries to help me change, but I refuse his touch vehemently. 

I’m not gonna let these perverts have any more of their way with me. I shew his hands off, then put my pants on. And just in the nick of time, as my kids push through the door to tackle me.

Occupied, I fail to see glass ladys’ return, and the three strangers converging, ““ So what did you come here for?”” “?rof ereh emoc uoy did tahw oS” They demand in unison, as if forgetting their the ones who kidnapped us first!

Dazed by the tackle and echo voices, I figured I’d get to the point since I didn't want cloud lady upset again, “Let’s exchange wishes?” Believing these were the three  wish elementals.

The three strangers stare, bewildered by such a strange request. Before they could ask what I meant, the children tug on my arms and say their first words

“Names!”

Oh yeah! I never had the chance to say your names, did I?  

I pat their heads,“I will name you, my green child, Nahele. And for you, my look-a-like, Aukai.”

9