46 The Auctions Labyrinth
178 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since a certain step-parent chaos god wasn't very forthcoming on how to live in this world, Tokito takes advantage in this auction. Besides buying Zeenubrih, he purchases; three debt slaves for to complete wish quest, a couple of weaponized toys for Nahele and Aukai, the latest artisan tools to finish his repairs on Hatter, and an ancient world history book to learn some common sense. 

After paying one platinum and 2,050 gold coins, Tokito exits his private booth and promptly joins Stozo at the venue. 

'Tokito, look behind you, I think I’ve spotted the axes buyer.' Calamity relays. Following its tentacle, Tokito's keen sight spots the cursed ax laid on the buffet table surrounded by a half humon/cat lady and several beastmen officers.

<Tokito POV>

 I look to Stozo and my won prizes, "Stozo, remember the plan and find me at this address. Be careful with my purchases."I requested, then walk past him.

Worried, Stozo tried to keep sight of me but loses me as presence and scent mix in the crowd.

I walk casually behind an aristocrat family so as to not appear suspicious to the squadrons of mercenaries and guardsmen lining the venue until nearing the exit. Separating from the family, I hide in a recently dark vacated private room close to the ax's buyer. 

Now, which one of you is bringing that baby home? I use (keen eyesight) to read their lips, but blocked by people walking past. Tsk, I can't tell what they're saying. And there's no way to get closer with those guards so close to her.

'Tokito, Is the space between those two ear holes empty?! You have (acute hearing)!'

'Oh yeah!' Using (acute hearing), I struggle to listen in on the lady's conversation.

"City... night patrolmen... tal-..."

 Too many voices are speaking at once though. All I could hear was gibberish.  I can't hear what they're saying. 'Calama-'

'No' Calamity firmly denies my question.

Fine..... 'System give me a suggestion on my current objective.'

[Your objective?]

'increase acute hearing.'

[System suggestions: 

Make a wish

Use meditation method to increase skill

Wait 30 minutes]

Obviously, I can't do the first option since I'll have to pay a random price. And the last one is also a no-go since that means having to struggle to snatch it in the dungeon. So meditation it is. 

Before I could begin meditating, Calamity flies from beneath my dress shirt to stare me down.

'Tokito, that was a cheap move.' 

'What!? It was the only thing I could think of-' my rebuttal is squelched as Calamity pridefully pats my head.

The god states, 'I'm so proud of you,' tears stream as if to say if I grew up.

..., You're so confusing. First, you scold me for not thinking on my own, and then congratulate me for asking the system for help- 

Ding!

[Sysetm acknowledgment - Intelligence slot unlocked]

[Intelligence ^ 23]

[Int. 58!]

..., Hold on. Don't tell me you've ignored me these past days to force me to question the system. And for what! To unlock this slot! That is- 

I breathe deeply to calm myself because I know if I didn't, I'd smash this gleeful god in its stupid eye-filled mouth. Once done, I began emptying my mind and concentrating all my thoughts on my (acute hearing) until finally.

Ding!

[Acute hearing lv 6^ 2 -> Acute hearing lv 8]

The voices became clear.

...

"Lady Chesis. Are you sure this artifact is what's been plaguing our search parties efforts?" Detective Cornus nervously asks her boss whose been gorging down the expensive funa cocktails. Cornus wanted the investigation to end within record time, but not at the expense of missing vital clues. In addition, the timing seemed too perfect. How is there such a convenient answer just fall in our laps? A cursed artifact just happens to be sold in this exact auction during the busiest selling season. And all while investigating the very mercenaries that are protecting this place. Cornus couldn't help speaking her mind, "My lady, this is too simple to be a coincidence. And don't you find this strange? Our metal slimes are acting differently to the artifact than what our officers described! If this artifact was the cause, then the metal slime should be turning to a dark black hue color, not a blood red." Cornus expresses her concerns, looking at lady Chesis for feedback.

Chesis appreciated the detectives' efforts, but she believed in the compass her uncle gave her. Wiping the funa's blue sauce from her mouth, "Detective, sometimes the best answers are the simplest ones. How about this, I'll bet my favorite catnip that this-" Chesis response stops as her whiskers twitch. Her instincts screamed, bad bet! Which could only mean that this ax wasn't the artifact causing the chaos disruption! If that's the case, why is the compass reacting so violently... Chesis stares at the compass spinning crazily atop the ax.

 Unable to think of what it could mean, Chesis twiddles her whiskers in annoyance, announces, "I'll listen to your advice. Keep the investigation going and report back if any more strange creatures or occurrences happen. Also, check the auction master and see who put this artifact up for sale. In the meantime, I'll bring this to uncle's alchemist for safekeeping." She places the ax on her back and leaves the buffet table.

.....

  

Tokito cuts off his acute hearing. Perfect! I know who I should tag now. 

Honestly, the only thing I could think of to acquire the ax was... to forcefully purchase it without the original buyers' consent. Regrettably, committing a 'switcheroo' maneuver here though would most likely cause terrible misunderstandings if caught. So I'll have Luxtin follow the carrier and 'buy' it when they're by themselves. 

 I become vigilant upon hearing Chesis's entourage approaching my hiding spot. Taking the goo gone from storage, I kneel close to the floor, ready to spray her shoes.

  Since this goo-gone is a one-of-a-kind item, this Chesis lady probably won't be able to recognize it. I just hope her shoes won't change color,... hold on. What are these guys investigating? Chessis's conversation had me piqued.  Wait, isn't this woman that jailed Stozo and Belace? Toktio shakes his head. This issue doesn't have anything to do with me. I nod my head in resolution. I swear, once I complete these dumb quests, I'm outta here. Belace or no Belace.

Calamity coughs before pointing a tentacle to Chesis standing 12 feet in front of me. Swift, I spring forth for the hit.

Warning! 

[danger sense heightens]

 But immediately crawl back and protect my head as I feel a rush of air from above.

Bang!

 Despite the fast retreat, my suit and mask become shredded beyond recognition. Pinned under the broken chandelier are a wounded paralyzed Chesis and guards. 

Out of nowhere, Calamity perceives a massive amount of blood lust emitting from the ax. The chaotic god eyes' the ax's blade pressing into Chesiss' back, draining her of her blood, unlocking its seal. It warns,' Tokito, you need to pick up the pace. The curse just got feed the perfect meal of blood and destructive chaos. Quickly heal Chesis and cut off the ax's food source before it enters a critical state of semi-consciousness or worse, find a proper host.' Both of us panic as my arms limp, numb. 

Warning!

[your arms arteries damaged by 90%!]

[Your arms will be in a paralyzed state until completely healed!]

 'I can't! My heal isn't a high enough level to save her and fix my arms at the same time.' Tokito hides behind a plant, keeping sight of Chesis and the ax's development. 

'Then hurry! You have less than 10 minutes before the dungeon erupts!' Calamity's eye then apprehensively looks behind me. 

Oh geez, what's wrong now?! I turn and almost weep when I see the answer. 

"Ok, everyone, this is a stickup! On your knees! Now!" A woman in a purple cloak holler at the panicking crowd.

 Scooting the potted plant aside, I can see through the slit of the door a massacre brews. Maniacal laughter reverberates as people get blasted running to the venue exit. Within two seconds, everyone close to the gate was shot dead without a chance to plead for mercy.

 These guys are assholes! I curse internally. Using [heal] every second I can is taxing my mana to the extreme. I glance at the woman who continues to shoot people without a care in the world. 'Shit, Calamity isn't there supposed to be a two warning shot?! Why are they killing people without more forewarning?!'

'Technically, they did.' Calamity emphasis Chesis bleeding figure.

'No, a warning shot is supposed to be two shots in the air without hurting anybody! That right there is being an a-hole!' Simultaneously to recall what I've done since entering this building, my head snaps back into the wall,' Somethings off. The alarm system didn't go off when these guys clearly have unpermitted weapons brought in. Only guards and mercenaries were approved to carry arms. And any other weapons were heavily encased in unbreakable ruin containers. I look back out to find that robbers' rifles and knives seem to be in uniformThat means someone had to give these guys approval to carry their weapons and hid them somewhere before the auction started. But who? With too little information, I have no choice but to wave these thoughts away and watch. 

 Outside, everyone ceased their escape attempts, allowing the robbers to relieve them of their valuables. Soon I can hear doors slamming to the far side as a henchman drag people kicking and screaming out from their private rooms. Footsteps closing, I quickly activate [camouflage] to the room's decor and hold my breath. 

" Knock knock, anybody home, " the henchmen snickered, then walks in, missing my foot by a narrow margin. But he was disappointed in seeing nothing but a lavishly decorated room. Leaving, the henchman kicks over the plant before kicking the door close. In case the henchman decides to backtrack, I keep my camouflage on and resume healing my arms. 

 

Ding!

[Arms healed]

[Heal lv ^3 -> Heal Lv 5]

[Stealth earned]

[Stealth lv^ 5]

 

With five minutes to spare, I crack open the door. The henchmen's reporting to the purple-cloaked woman, and low and behold, the woman standing right over Chesis's group.

 The woman smiles gleefully, pressing her foot down hard on Chesis's head as if was her favorite toy. 

Ouch. That's going to hurt later. I wince, contemplating what my next move should be. Well, there goes plan A, B, and D. Luxtin better be in position for plan C, or else we're screwed. I lament my luck.

 Nothing has gone right ever since meeting that perverted mango face. I must've gotten a negative luck punishment or something because this is just getting ridiculous. 

 

"Night has fallen as the moon comes hither. So sleep, my lovely. Sleep." 

 

[Your Enchantment resistance pushes you awake]

 

 My luck hasn't left after all, as I can hear Luxtin's beautiful lullaby singing the next second. 

Puzzled, the tied-up guards, customers, and slaves looked around the room. Who, if anyone, could think of singing in this tragedy? Perplexed by the situation, no one noticed when one by one, people fell to the floor, asleep.

The robbers panic. 

They were notified in operation planning that a singer would be here but that she'd gagged for sale. Their informant said another singer was in the city, but he's cursed mute! Why bother to bring earplugs. But now they're running back and forth to stay awake since none of them had sleep resistance! But it wasn't enough. The only other way to block a lullaby was to either wear rune encrusted earplugs or mute the singer.  

 

Feeling sleepy, the cloaked woman and robber rip clothes from their victims to plug up their ears, neglected to see a child rushing towards Chesis. 

The cloaked woman shouts, "Stop that twerp!" But it was too late. The lullaby effects show rapidly as two lackeys run after the kid falls to the floor lose grip on their rifles. Shots fired into the lights sending the whole venue into darkness.  

 In the pitch black, my night vision sees the child unaffected by the lullaby and closing in on Chesis.  

Calamity panics, "oH No! Hurry and grab the ax!" its many voices scream furiously. 

I dash out the door, ramming aside robber and pedestrian alike. But I'm too slow as the boy grabs hold of the axes blade just as I reach over Chesis.

"So Hungry!"  

Warning!

[Dungeon breach immanent]

[Starting system autopilot for maximum survival rate]

"What?!" Calamity voices screams are the last thing I hear as chaos explodes into an endless mist engulfing the entire auction house.

 

 


 

30 minutes later  

<Belace POV>

Dreaming.

"Mama, When will I see papa?" a teenaged Belace ask as she climbed to the high treetops of her mothers' body.

In answer, a green-leafed child of auburn unmolds from the tree trunk and climbs to where Belace sat eating an apple.

"My own kin, thy fath'r is nigh and far, but thee two can nev'r meeteth. The age of pure blood is ongoing. To meeteth anon wouldst cullionly c'rtain death."  

The nymph hugs her child to comfort and mourn the loss.

"But I shall at each moment beest h're, so wipeth thy drops of sorrow and beest not depress'd.

The nymph proceeds to grow a flower from her hair and tickle Belaces' nose. Laughter bellows over the valley replacing oncoming sadness.

Belace giggles and cries from the flowers' strong scent and tries to back away from her mothers' antics. Only she found her back hitting something,...solid? Unable to get away, the flower's scent grew irritatingly stronger.

 Eyes watering and nose becoming itchy, Belace laughingly begs, " HahaHa, ma! Scent too sweet! It stings! Mama?" For every tearful blink, the form of the nymph blurs. Her voice lowers several octaves at a time as the flowers' scent strengthened, "-ake up! Miss Bel- wa- up!"

"Miss, please wake up!" 

 

......

 

Ding!

[Your drugged!]

[Your body will sluggish for the next 10 minutes unless cleansed]

I blink heavily at first, then rapidly as my mother's nymph form melts away to reveal... a male waiter? "Wha- what's goin' on?" I ask anxiously, trying to sit up but pushed to lay down. 

"Please don't move, miss. My smelling salts will wear off before the effects can keep." The male waiter explains, then inspects my eyes to see if I'm aware enough before sitting me up himself.

Limbs like noodles and brain fog, I could barely tell that I was sitting in one of the VIP booths. Kanos Grace! Who blasted the auction house layout with a smoke bomb and twirled the world upside down after I hit the hay?! "Blimey! Why's chandelier standin' from the floor?!" I exclaim.

The waiter cautions me to lower my voice then explains how the auction house transformed into a constantly changing, unescapable Labrinth. Everyone in the blast radius got teleported to who knows where. "I've been running and hiding whenever I can. You're honestly the first person I've seen since-" 

Crunch!

The sounds of glass shattering stop the waiter in his tracks as fear strikes both of us.

 

"I'm sorry Miss, but it seems I've brought you trouble." The waiter says, thinking the creature must've followed his awakening salts. 

 

"Bar boy, don't call me Miss. That's for young gals on the way to make their nest. Call me Belace" I try to lighten the mood before grabbing a monster repellent from my waist bag. But the waiter stops me, "Don't! The repellent will induce higher-level monsters to come here! Besides, even if it leaves, your body won't be able to evade attacks without falling behind." The waiter hands me a cloth dampened with smelling salts. "Here, a few more whiffs should keep you awake enough for you to crawl out of here. I'll lure that monster somewhere else long enough for you to make a getaway." The waiter's words tremble out with every step of shattering glass. Before stood to leave, I muster the strength to grab his hand and pull him back.

"Did I say I wanted you to rescue me? No, I didn't!" I furiously barked into his ear, causing a powerful rush of energy to permeate my body.  

I rise, still jittery from the drugs, but better than when I first woke up. Assessing the stunned bar boy and surroundings, I decided that it's best to barricade the room.

 "Listen here bar boy; it's my job to protect whippersnappers like ya' from these death traps. Now help me tie these handles, then wait for my signal." I hand him my whip. 

 A few minutes after baring the door with any furniture not nailed to the floor, we push our back against the wall to prepare for what's to come. I unsheath my belt knife and break off a chair leg for bar boy to use as a club. I explain how we'll ambush the oncoming monster. I signal 'quiet' as the shattering gets closer. 

Our hearts pound fast as the crunching stops right behind the booth's door. 

Nothing seems to move for ages.

The tense atmosphere reminded me of when I first started taking D rank quest. My occupations in stakeouts quest practically developed needed patience and tolerance. But for every single one I took, I was made to realize time and again, never underestimate the environment or overestimate my partners.

 And regrettably, reality decided to knock me over once more as I look over to bar boys face.

  He was petrified, and it showed more and more as seconds rolled, feeling like hours sitting, waiting. Finally unable to take the maddened silence, Bar boy ignores my signals to stay still. He removes a piece of furniture from the door to stand on his tiptoes. He looks through the keyhole only to see a red pupal look back.

Crash! He's smashed back into a standing chandelier!

"Bar Boy!" I shout, worried as I see blood glass fragments fly haphazardly. But there's no time to check his injuries as a white giant foaming rat tries to slam its way inside. 

Ding!

[Barricade damaged by 22%]

Clawing the door with no success, the rat eventually pushes all its weight on the door until a small gap opened, and thrust its head to get a clean bite.

No way buster! I stick its throat then back away. 

Ding!

[You injured starved rat!]

It scrambles wildly to escape the knife, not realizing the door was catching the handle, pushing the edge deeper. 

Ding!

[Starved rat at 22% health]  

Feeling its life slipping, in a last-ditch effort, the rat bites through my whip and runs back to the hallway. But in its haste, the rat didn't notice it bled too profusely to survive much longer. Before it could take 2 steps into the hall, poofs leaving a bloody tooth and chipped knife.

Ding!

[Starved rat defeated!]

[aim lv^2 -> aim lv23]

Dang! Just how strong is this dungeon to spawn a rat at this level?!  I question, picking up my fraying whip and chipped knife. 

I move away from the broken furniture and rush to the waiters' side. Oh thank Kanos, he's alive! But good grief, he's conked. Dammit, I don't have enough strength yet to carry him, and with no map, there's no place I can find to heal quickly and come back in time for him. We're sittin' ducks here!

I pray nothing else minds us, but my prays are unanswered. The door hinges screech, and my hand instinctively grabs my gun and fires at the trespasser.

"Ahhh! Shit!"

A curse wails from behind the entrance.

My face pales. Did I just shoot someone?! I turn around to see a humanoid mouse in the door. 

  The humanoid mouse curses clutched his side. "Mezmor, fuck me. Did I miss the memo that today is shoot fureaking Luxtin day?! Because if so, I want a redo on my wish! Memzor why-" Luxtin whines dramatically falls to the floor. Rushing to give first aid, I move the boys' hands, only to see a mark of burned-off fur and light scaring.

Oh, You've got to kiddin' me! 

.....

After giving a piece of mind about not scaring the elderly, Luxtin gave me a quick rundown of why he came to me. Apparently, Tokito was here helping this lad when they spotted Stozo and me. They planned to get me out of here after finishing their purchases, but I guess they didn't come up with a contingency for this.

"Kano's fury. This lad has the worse luck! It's no wonder his tribe forbids him from entering the city. Especially with this track record of dungeons popping left and right of him, it's a wonder that boy hasn't been locked up and used a dungeon master! Let's go find him quick and get outta here!" 

Luxtin and I took a shoulder and haul ass into the labyrinth.

.....

 

<3rd Pov>

 

"Hey, Luxy dearest, no offense, but do you know where we're going? I mean, I'm glad we haven't run into any monsters, but I think I've seen this knight statue a bazillion times now." Belace remarks as they pass a familiar hallway for the fifth time.

"Duh. Girl, we are in a labyrinth. Everything looks the same, but trust me. There are subtle differences in the halls we've passed. You simply can't smell it. Damn. Part of me wishes I didn't either." Luxtin covers his nose, wanting to escape the stench of death and despair. 

Luxtin shouldn't and didn't want to smell such things, but after Tokito sprayed him with that accursed weird colored can, his six senses have been on the fritz. The sweat of fear, the blood of the innocent, and the chaos they emitted from being eaten; he smelled it and saw it like it just happened.

  

But there were benefits. Luxtin could tell when monsters approached too close, thus avoiding unfavorable confrontations. But roaming the labyrinth with engagement will inevitably cause the dungeon core to set traps. In a worst-case scenario, it will send high-level monsters to fight them directly.

Hence, Luxtin ignored the blood, sweat, and tears and chased the thickest traces of chaos, hoping it was Tokitos'... or at least the dungeon boss since there's a break room right before it.

Zigzagging in and out of corridors and occasionally fighting {Starved rat} and {mimic chandeliers}, Belace and Luxtin suddenly hear a familiar voice.

"What have you two done?!

"Is tha' who I think it is?"

"If your thinking whom I'm thinking of, then most like it's the same person-"

 

"AAAAHHHH! Give me back my robe!"

 

An astonished expression appears on our face as we book it towards Gilberts voice.

 


 

 Meanwhile

 

[Loading...]

Loading...]

Ding!

[Receptivness is at 75% capacity]

'Hmm? What's that? System?'

[Receptive parameters is at 100% capacity]

[Disengaging System autopilot....]

Wha?! When did I get autopilot?! 

[ Reingaging host....]

[Reingaging at 25%...]

[reingaging at 50%...]

[Reingaging at 75%]

  

'Calamity, why am I feeding fruit to a kid?' Tokito confusedly sits in front of a full-course buffet table watches a ragged boy.

'.....'

'Really! I thought the silent treatment ended-,' Tokito stop his rampage upon apprehending why Calamity was quiet. Sitting across the table, the kid guzzling food into his gullet, a dark red aura and gown covered half his body and growing.

Warning!

[You have entered the Boss room as a guest. Please be advised that any conflict will result in terrible consequences.] 

Warning!

[Boss stability at 57%]

[ System advises:

*Continue feeding the cursed vessel to complete transformation

*Purify the curse to terminate transformation (this will automatically reduce to mission failure)

* Make a deal]

 

'These are the best choices you could give me?' Tokito unamused pulls his fork away from the waif's mouth and pulls the buffet table into his chaotic space. 

Ding! 

[The curse has noticed your intentions. Be mindful of your action to no increase instability and cause soul damage] 

'Gee, thanks for the input. Now please, shut up!' Tokito stands before the hungry pleading waif.

" Choose little one," he says, placing before the waif a bottle of poison, a sharp knife, and a rotten Gaunda. 

Confused, the waifs clutch on the ax tightens. 

"Die fighting, run in vengeance, or live in bitterness. But know no matter what your choice is, that ax will be mine." 

But before the waif could respond, the Boss's door burst open.

Who has opened the door?
  • Belace and Luxtin: no effect on waif choice Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Stozo and slaves: waifs choice will be poison Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cloaked woman: waifs choice will be knife Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the chef that brought him in: waifs choice will be gaunda Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a semi-naked Gilbert running after Nahele and Aukai: ?????? Votes: 3 100.0%
Total voters: 3 · This poll was closed on Aug 12, 2021 11:08 PM.
6