Chapter 15 – Chosen
50 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The beam lasts only a moment, emitting a powerful pulse of electromagnetic energy. The Eldest explains their actions by propagating a rudimentary understanding of how the alien vessel functions. The craft harnesses the same fundamental force of electromagnetism to power itself that the Flock does, albeit in a rather convoluted way.

The Eldest’s intentions further clarify themselves as the low frequency beam shoots towards the craft at the speed of light, due to arrive in less than a single revolution. The rampant energies of the beam will surely cripple the strange construct. To what end though? Why not simply destroy it?

Again, almost as if in direct response, the Eldest’s next thought answers my queries. Reconnaissance. The Eldest supplements the concept of the proposed clandestine intelligence gathering expedition with the reasoning for this course of action.

During the Eradication, the enemy attacked with all their numbers in a straightforward manner. However, these new invaders have sent only a single vessel. To displace the Flock with this lone invader would be impossible. This makes their intentions unclear and thus, a danger.

A meager few elder’s make some tepid objections, but it is clear the Flock has accepted the Eldest’s decision. The next thought from the Eldest sets the congregation to raucous raving once more. Volunteer.

I consider my options. There are venerable elders and ambitious juveniles bombarding the congregation with pleas to be chosen to undertake this pilgrimage. For along with the great risk there will surely be great reward. The new and novel information from completely foreign life forms will be lucrative indeed. What is more, the value of the memories from the chosen one’s pilgrimage will be incalculable.

The young are not expected to speak during congregations. However, for an opportunity such as this, it is worth breaking with tradition. And so, I ever so faintly, project my desire directly to the Eldest. Me, I plead. It seems to go unnoticed by all. Once more, a bit less timid. Me! To the shock of all the Flock and most of all, myself, I am honored with a response. You?

I find myself unable to process information for a moment. I was not actually expecting a reply and had not even made considerations for what to do in the event of a response. I gather my wits and marshal my arguments, then send it into the congregation where it is heard by all.

I am young, I tell them. I am expendable. Yet I am capable, competent and uniquely equipped. I capitalize on the congregation's temporary silence and transmit conceptual knowledge of the technique I traded with the elder. I follow up with a demonstration as proof. Unfortunate, as I was planning on saving it for more trades.

I sense the atmosphere of surprise about Flock, directed at me. Their credulity has turned to curiosity. They are surely privately wondering how one so young created such a difficult and dangerous application. Just as I feel the gathering of power for the Eldest’s proclamation, another mind interjects itself into the forefront of the congregation.

The elder who I traded the secrets to my technique makes themselves known. They share with all the Kindred that they too, have access to the finer mechanics of this technique. By virtue of seniority, it should be they, not I, that is chosen. The following stillness of the congregation is tense and uneasy. The Eldest makes no move to object.

I must do something. I must prove to the Eldest that I am the most worthy. A flash of insight makes me realize how to remove the elder from the path to prestige I seek. With all the power I can muster, I transmit a demand. Show us. A concise but damning thought. It brings the smug elder up short and leaves them squirming in discomfort.

The method I developed for phasing through solid matter, while not particularly useful for life among the Flock, is exceedingly dangerous. Molecular structures, and atoms themselves are mostly empty space. There is more far empty space in an atom than the subatomic particles that constitute it. The reason the subatomic particles cannot move between these spaces, is the negative change in the orbiting electron cloud. While weak, the effect is the same as aiming two negatively charged magnetic fields at each other. The two fields repel each other.

To phase through solid matter, one must, with great care, lightly weaken the charge of the electron clouds that orbit our bodies atoms. Weaken the negative charge just enough, and it will allow the atoms of one's body and of the solid matter to pass right by each other.

But, the negative charge is also what keeps atoms together as well as bond molecules. Use too much force, and the charge will be completely disabled. The entire structure will atomize into nothing but a cloud of unordered particles. I know this, and so does the elder.

While they may know the mechanics, trying to achieve a fully phased state without killing themselves on their first try is impossible, and they know it. Only after revolutions of careful and controlled practice could they reach the level of proficiency that I have. But, perhaps out of pride, perhaps out of desperation, the elder begins to stifle the charge of their electrons.

They come close. For a first try it is an impressive effort. It illustrates the difference between the elders and the youth. However, inevitably they lose the balance. Feeling the lack of success, the elder pushes harder on their electrons. Disaster strikes as they overcompensate and completely neutralizes the negative charge. Starting from the tips of their appendages, the elder begins to disperse.

Slowly at first, the elder seems to transform into vapor before the congregation's very eyes. Just as the gaseous transformation reaches the elders head, the Eldest, who had been quietly watching, intervenes. With a lash of power along the mental tether, the Eldest instantly overwhelms the elders mind and takes full control of their faculties. In an instant the phasing process freezes. The elders form is left clear for all to see.

Their tentacles were atomized and blown away by the Great Founts solar wind, lost forever. What is left is a pitiful sight. The elder is completely without appendages, only rather pathetic looking stubs are left. The Eldest relinquishes control of the elders body and is silent once more.

The elder, in addition to shaming themselves by exposing their hubris, is now woefully lacking in mass for their age. They will need to cannibalize much of their size in order to regrow their limbs in a timely manner. But by then, it will be too late. None will commune with such a wretched specimen. So small, so lacking in eyes and now shamed before all of the congregation. The moment of their ruin, immortalized in the memories of all.

Now, without the chance of ever earning a scribe, the elders' fate will be to slowly enter a catatonic state as their cerebral matrix runs out of space to store their vast collection of memories. They will be doomed to spend eternity at the pole opposite the Eldest with the other failures. Forever lost in the confusion and madness of their own minds.

The elder transmits feelings of betrayal and hopelessness. Then, with what little dignity they have left, withdraws from the congregation. Normally an extreme break in etiquette, but pity keeps any from objecting. The elders' skin turns the inky black of despair as they latch on to an anchor and propel away from the upper pole.

I feel a twinge of sympathy, but I resolve not to let the elders' damnation detract from my moment of triumph. And triumph I do, as the Eldest address me directly once more before all the Kindred to see and fills our minds with his declaration. Chosen.

4