A008 – Conversation at Cafeteria
7k 29 233
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Real World]

[Kyoto Academy: Cafeteria - High School Division]

Meanwhile, in other place. Two girls wearing their high school uniform, sit across from each other in a 4-seated table.

There are transparent glass separating the table into 4 separate section, with each section intended for 1 person use. These separator glasses was in accordance to the social distancing rule which is still implemented by the government.

They were sitting in the cafeteria, the place where the students went to eat.

Kashiwagi Rena, or Rena-cchi, glanced at the holo-screen displayed from her T-Bracelet before closed it off. Happy expression can be seen clearly from her face.

"Yay! Ruri... Hecate-chan says okay, Emi-cchi! I can't wait until our classes is over!"

"I see, then we can gather at the town square later."

The other girl, Nayaka Emi, nodded without much thought. Her hand silently make a swipe gesture in front of the table, and instantly, a holo-screen with a list of menu appeared.

DING!

Her fingers selectively pressed  "Bubble Tea", "Ice", and then added "Honey" as the finishing touch. The drink in her order list has renamed into "Iced Bubble Tea with Honey." Rena also did a similar thing with her choice, "Iced Carbonated Orange Juice".

The holo-screen let out a nice rippling sound effect each time they clicked the selection. When they are done, both of them pressed the confirm button and immediately pay the bill with a QR-scan from their T-Bracelet.

And then, a few minutes later, a drone appeared from the kitchen area, carrying the drink they ordered in a tray.

"YOUR ORDER HAS ARRIVED!! ...PLEASE ENJOY YOURSELVES!!"

Rena and Emi each took the glass they have ordered from the tray and placed it in the table. After spraying their hands with free disinfectant provided at each table, they took a sip on their drinks.

Having done with the job, the drone quickly went away.

"Mmmm... Delicious!"

Rena praised the drink. But then, there are a slight disappointment in her expression.

"...Too bad Hecate-chan isn't here... It would be perfect if I can *rub rub* her as I enjoyed this wine... Haah..."

Remembering a certain girl, Rena sighed depressingly. With a melancholy expression, she lightly swayed the glass in her hand1The glass used:
. The ice inside kept making a clang sound each time Rena swayed the glass.

Looking at her friend's behavior, Emi could only let out a wry smile. 

'What wine? No matter how I look at it, that's just Orange Juice, right?'

Though, she was truly impressed by Rena's ability to pull off a nonsense. But because of this, her existence was irreplaceable in the guild. As a mood maker and also as a competent healer. No matter how dire the situation in the guild, there will be no despair if Rena was there.

Even Emi herself thought she had been saved countless times by Rena.

"Well, it can't be helped, can it? Poor Ruri... She can't join us even if she wanted to."

"Yeah, it's a pity... Hecate-chwaaan..."

Rena only nodded sorrowfully, agreeing with Emi.

♠♠♠

 

This can't be helped if they have such thinking.

Because it is common knowledge, that students attending the class via Virtual Reality (VR) were students with 'circumstances'. Those virtual classes are meant mainly for students who cannot come to school. There are many reason where students cannot come to school. Such as long distance, sickness, or other factors.

But if it was distance problem, the academy also has Student Dormitory which is cheaper than applying for a virtual class. Although normal students can also apply for attending via VR, it should be noted that their tuition fees will skyrocket after the end of the term.

After all, the costs of maintaining the VR-World was not cheap, and the Academy was not a charity organization.

Except for people with scholarships, or people with too much money, no one would apply for one with no reason. Yet, Ruri, or Hecate, always attending school via VR. Just a glance and it was clear that there was something wrong.

Which one was true, whether she has a scholarship, or too much money?

One and half year ago, Rena quickly found out neither was true after checking it at the school administration office.

- Yasaka Ruri has Leukemia!

The fact that her best friend(?) have a terminal illness shook Rena's mind greatly. Never in her wildest imagination that such a cute girl is on the verge of death's door!

It was then Rena took a great decision that decided her future course. To become a doctor!

♠♠♠

 

Rena reminisced with a gloomy expression. She listlessly slumped down on the table, looked drunk even though she only drank non-alcohol carbonated juice.

"Ruri-chan... didn't say anything about her sickness..."

"...This is almost the hundred times I hear this complain from your mouth. Haah..."

Hearing Rena's grumble, Emi could only sigh.

Thinking about that certain loli, Emi somewhat understand why Ruri would keep silent about that. Not that she could just ramble on about her own illness for the public to know.

There is no way she would say:

- Everyone! I have a leukemia... tehe~☆

What would be gained from that? Pity? Empathy?

Ruri that she know was a strong girl at heart. No way in hell she would like being pitied.

In that case, since the person herself did not say it, then it would be better to feign ignorance... Or that's what Rena and Emi secretly decides.

Emi still remembered the first meeting with Ruri, or more accurately, Hecate.

♠♠♠

 

Two years ago, when Emi and Rena still in the first grade of High School. Like other youths of their age, both of them, along with Kazu were also attracted to trends at that time, the most cutting-edge Virtual Reality MMORPG: Ascension.

They excitedly bought a Capsule Pod, and dive into the game.

Many things happened during their first month. Emi still remembered the excitement at that time. The struggle of clearing the daily quests, exploring the vast areas, searching for a party, and then, leveling. Being a childhood playmate, Emi often partied with Rena and Kazu together.

Eventually, they received an invitation to join the Genesis Guild. At that time, the guild was not as big as they are now.

Genesis Guild was originally considered a casual guild, created by a party who coincidentally get along very well in their hunt. Leon, Astrid, and Grim was the original founder of the guild.

Then after some time, while Emi and Kazu were taking a walk in the market to replenish consumable items, especially potions and arrows, she encountered an unusual player. A little girl who looked like an elementary school girl, quietly sits on a bench holding a plank with a written message.

[T> Your Elixir with my Gold. PM for nego!]

Emi couldn't understand what was inside the mind of that girl.

Elixir was a super expensive premium item that costs  200, or ¥10.000 each. Sure, the effect was great, completely heals HP and MP along with bad status clearance. However, at that current stage where most of the Players maximum HP did not exceed 1000 points, that was an overkill.

Who the heck is so special, that would spent ¥10.000 to buy such item?

No matter how she thinks of it, that was just stupid.

During this period of time, Gold Exchange website has not been established yet. So, there was no cash and Gold coins exchange. If a Player wanted to obtain a premium item without spending a penny, they have to trade with their game items or  Gold coins.

And then, Kazu who seemingly took an interest with the offer, PMed the girl. The negotiation was taken place privately so Emi didn't know the exact details, but based on Kazu's words, it has been agreed that the girl will have to prepare  50.000 first. The girl would come back in two weeks with the money to complete the transaction.

Emi could only be astonished.

At the early days when the Players level were still low, also the main currency were still based on Copper and Silver coins,  Gold coins was extremely expensive. A Low-Potion that heals around 100-250 HP costs between 25 to 75. And then, it would only took 5-7 bottles to refill the entire HP bar to the full.

Even her full set equipment at that time, although it can be considered expensive, but it was not more than  20.000!

Which means, the price of 1 Elixir was more than 2.5 times of her Archery set!

How could Kazu take advantage of such a stupid little girl?

What's more astonishing was the girl did really back after 2 weeks has passed, fulfilling the transaction. It seems during these period the girl keep hunting in a high-leveled area non-stop and auctioned a lot of rare loots. Such a dedication just for an Elixir...

From that point on, the girl, Hecate became their acquaintance. And shortly later, they found out that the loli was actually of the same age as them!

Moreover, she also attending the same Academy!

♠♠♠

 

As Emi reminisced about Ruri, she glanced at Rena again.

Ever since that fateful meeting, this childhood friend of hers seemingly become dumber and dumber. Emi knows that Rena has a certain weakness with cute things, but she didn't expect it to be that bad when it comes to Ruri.

She even dared to apply for a permission to attend some of her classes that overlap with Ruri via VR. Rena did that just to meet Ruri since she will never attend the school physically. 

'I kinda curious how in the world Rena convinced her parents to let her continue attending her class via VR.
Oh... but wait, their class schedule only overlap during Math and Science...'

Emi nodded in understanding.

'If its only two classes, maybe it won't matter that much?'

With Rena's salary from the Guild, she surely can cover the extra tuition from the two VR classes.

But even though Emi understand the reason, that doesn't mean that she was willing to follow. After all, money doesn't grow on a tree. And besides, she can meet with Hecate anytime in the game.

While Emi was deep in thought, suddenly she heard a familiar voice from her behind.

"Ah, Emily! Rena! You're here, huh?"

"Hello Kazu-kun."

Without looking back, Emi replied lazily as she took another sip of her drink. From just the voice, she already know the identity of the source.

Speak of the devil!

It was just a moment ago she reminisced about him taking advantage of a certain little girl.

"Kazu-cchi~~! Good morning~!"

"Yeah, Good morning, Rena! You seem so sluggish today, is something wrong?"

"Nothing to worry about... She is only drunk."

Emi replied in Rena's place as she turned her head towards the source of the voice.

Behind her, stood a male youth of the same grade with his dumb face. A face that screams "Very Ordinary" by Japanese standards of beauty. Not considered handsome, but also can't be considered ugly.

Shirayama Kazuya, 18 years old.

This youth was also her childhood friend, having been inseparable relationship since elementary school.

Rena, despite making important decisions about her future career for Ruri's sake, is still betrayed. Though, neither of them had any knowledge of how the other party's situation was.

  • Ruri does not know Rena's determination since she never talked the reason why she wanted to become a doctor.
  • Rena does not know that Ruri already healed from her Leukemia.

233