Chapter 24: Fate At Play
295 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24: Fate At Play

"It's okay so can you stop?" Zhou Qi wore his best gangster face on.

But instead, the sobbing grew louder, until it reached the four corners of the room.

The heck! Of course, she wasn't to stop because I asked her to stop. Why so dumb me?! Zhou Qi grumbled in his mind.

The system could provide a higher IQ through INT stats. But not EQ.

The loan shark slid into an awkward position. He wondered what Sasa and Lieutenant Chu would do when they accidentally saw this. They wouldn't blame him, right?

Inside the Law Bar's Underground Armory.

Fatty was already recording everything through the earpiece. With bated breath, Fatty Jhin chewed on a few chips he got from the fridge.

A peaceful smile bloomed on his face. Then, it turned sinister! He finally got some dirt on Zhou Qi. Everyone would definitely love to see this. He'll send this to the lieutenant if Zhou Qi dares to blackmail him. It'll be a party.

No one could threaten him now! You dare play with me!? I'm going to turn the game around. Oh, wait let me check the pudding I just made. Okay, I got the right temperature!

...

Not knowing what to do. Zhou Qi could only scratch his head.

All of a sudden, an old memory flashed before his eyes. The sobbing girl made his heartache. An old wound was suddenly opened within his heart.

The visage of a crying little girl and this young lady overlapped.

Zhou Qi stood in the room dumbfounded and lost, not knowing what to do.

He unintentionally walked in front of the girl. He sat on the soft bed. Zhou Qi reached out his hand towards the young lady's head. He ruffled the girl's shimmering black hair.

A comforting smile appeared on his face. A deep voice bubbled from his heart. It was full of conviction and power. The word resonated with the loan shark's heart. It wasn't anything superficial. The words came from the bottom of his heart.

"It's going to be alright. Trust in me." It was what he always told her sister.

The long eyelashes of the girl flickered. The sobbing stopped.

The young lady raised her head, he saw the sincere eyes of the man. A few strands of dark-ink covered Zhou Qi's eyes. Even so, the light of hope shining on his eyes couldn't be hidden. It was carrying an untainted and well-lit galaxy.

Spellbound, the young lady stared at the eyes of the loan shark.

She was also lost in her world.

The two of them stared at each other.

No words were needed.

Time stopped.

The grains of sands passed through the fingers of the two.

From there on, their fate became intertwined.

No one knows, when everything ended.

Zhou Qi was the first one to awaken from his stupor. He shook his head left and right. He saw the visage of his sister manifesting on the lady.

"Cough. I'm sorry young lady. I made a mistake."

The young lady was also awakened from her stupor. Even so, she showed no signs of being shy at all. She acted as if nothing ever happened. Her breaths clear and relaxed.

She simply continued to stare at Zhou Qi with curious eyes. "Reine."

"Reine?"

"My name is Reine."

Zhou Qi laughed after hearing the name of the girl. "Oh, it's a nice name."

Hell! Of course, that's the only thing Zhou Qi could say now. He never felt so awkward!

The young lady named Reine looked at Zhou Qi expectantly.

"I'm Zhou Qi."

"Zhou Qi…?" She uttered as if it was a question.

Zhou Qi stood up from the bed. He remembered the mission that he must finish. "It would be best for you to stay here. Help is already coming. I need to look around first and send information to the team."

"Reine? Do you know how to use guns?" He lowered his head, trying to search for something. Soon, the loan shark caught sight of the pistol from the dead Mr. Dior.

Shifting his head, Zhou Qi saw the lady nodding.

"You do? Where did you learn that?" It's rare for someone as young as Reine to know about guns. His inquisitiveness was piqued by Reine's reply, a smile showing on his face.

"My dad and mom."

"It's good then." Zhou Qi picked up the pistol of Mr. Dior. He checked the bullets. After confirming that the pistol was still in good condition. He reached out his hands, giving the pistol to the young lady.

Reine watched the pistol being handed to her. A few question marks appearing above her head.

Maintaining his smile, Zhou Qi stood before the young lady. "For self-defense. I must go around after talking with Wuren."

"Oh…"

Reine received the gun with two hands. She was careful and swift. It seemed like the lady knew how to handle guns well. The way she holds the pistol only comes through experience.

"Anyway, I could help you contact your parents."

Reine raised her head and gazed at the loan shark with a conflicted look. "I-I…I already don't have my parents."

Recovering a little, Reine remembered something. In a flash, she reached out her hands. She caught the sleeves of Zhou Qi. Her words stumbling a little. "M-my brother he needs help!"

Catching the agitation of Reine, Zhou Qi ruffled the girl's hair once again. "Was he also kidnap here?"

"Yes." Reined pointed her finger towards Wuren. "He was tricked by that geezer. He told my brother that if he could pay 20000 zeals. He could find a donor as soon as possible."

Zhou Qi furrowed his brows. "Donor? For whom?" Wait why does this story sound familiar.

A thought flew into the loan shark's mind. It felt like a puzzle slowly being completed and answered within his brain. The blurry fog disappearing from his thoughts.

With pursed lips, Reine straightened her body. "For me. B-but that guys sold us here instead!"

Zhou Qi raised his right hand massaging his wrinkling forehead. He turned his back and gave Wuren another good kick.

"Ugh…"

"What's the name of your brother? I'll save him if I ran through him." Zhou Qi knew where the conversation was going.

"His name is Zh--."

He scratched his head and looked at the tears of the young lady starting to feel her eyelids. "Don't' tell me it's Zhai Baiwu?"

Reine jumped from the bed, excitement shone from her eyes. "You know my brother!?"

Now it's confirmed!

With a wry beam, Zhou Qi replied. "Of course, I know him."

Of course, I know everyone who owes me money! Duh! How could I forget?! The loan shark retorted in his mind.

"Really!? Th-then please save him if possible. I'll owe you a big favor!"

It seemed like fate was playing with Zhou Qi. He saw his old self in the kid, Zhai Baiwu. Now, he also saw the visage of his sister on Reine. From the looks of it, his destiny was tied with these two.

Is someone playing with me? Zhou Qi thought. The hidden pain in his heart throbbed once more.

In the end, he looked at the smiling young girl. "Alright, but take care of yourself. I'll hide the body in the comfort room. Anyway, do you need to use it?"

A burst of crimson crept on Reine's face. Her once pale face bled like freshly picked tomatoes. "Y-yes. Please."

She stood up slowly before tip-toeing to the bathroom. But before entering, she threw a sharp look at Zhou Qi despite her face being a red apple. It was a warning saying "No peeking!"

The loan shark couldn't help himself but show a skewed smile. His eyebrows twitching. It was telling "I'm not into little girls!"

Nevertheless, he decided to turn his head away. He gave Wuren another kick, making him spit some blood. It was followed by a cold threat. "I know you're already awake. You better not play dead with me. I might accidentally make sure your dead. I'm not joking with my threats."

Hearing the cracking fist of Zhou Qi, Wuren dare not shout. If he squeaked even a little noise, he was sure that the loan shark would make him a dead man.

Wuren gritted his teeth. When things were already looking good, this reaper had found him. A bit of fear pricked the heart of Wuren, he could only choose to agree. "Yes. But, please spare me. I-I want to still see my kids."

"Good boy! Well, I already researched everything about you. Don't play words with me. I already know that you have no family left."

Soon, Zhou Qi heard the doors of the bathroom opening. Turning his head, he saw the still red-faced Reine walking towards him.

"You done? Felt good?"

Reine ignored him. She waltzed and found herself back to the bed.

This savage! Wuren rolled his eyes. The loan shark doesn't even know a bit of decency. So wild and ruthless in the choice of his words. Not that he could talk.

Zhou Qi dragged Wuren by the mouth again. He opened the bathroom door once again. He dragged the cold corpse by the feet, throwing it inside before returning to the bedroom.

Now, everything was perfect except for Reine.

Zhou Qi pulled out a knife, scaring Wuren to death. The loan shark gave him a cold gaze, before pinning him on the wall.

Wuren gave an intense yet futile struggle. He couldn't even muster any strength due to some of his cracked bones and ribs. The kicks of the loan shark shook a part of his innards.

With his every move, intense pain followed. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead as snot flowed freely from his nose.

"Hmff. Hmff. D-Don't"

Reine trembled in shock, she covered her eyes. She feared what was about to happen next.

With a slow swished, Zhou Qi swung the dagger with a backhand grip.

Pshh…

A deep voice echoed within the room.

"You're really in luck, Wuren! Damn, lucky! Haha."

Zhou Qi slashed the curtain with his sharp dagger. With a light pull, a part of the curtain fell on the ground. It was a makeshift cloth to bind Wuren. He picked it up before tying Wuren.

He put the sobbing man on the side, turning his head towards the young lady. "You could now open your eyes, Reine. I can clearly see some eyes peeping."

He saw Reine stealing a look through the sides of her fingers.

Realizing that she was already caught, the young lady bowed her head. She dived into one of the pillows, hiding her face.

With a sigh, Zhou Qi dragged Wuren into another corner. He took a chair from the room and sat on it, facing the sobbing man.

"I believe we could now talk. Just to be clear. I'm the only want who could ask questions. If I'm not satisfied, I might accidentally break some of your fingers. Clear?"

Wuren shook, his voice shaking out the words out of his mouth. "Yes, yes, yes…"

"First question, what's this place?"

"A paradise for criminals." Catching his breath a little, Wuren uttered his answers like a rapper. "This place is a drug den, prostitution den, slaughterhouse, underground arena, gambling house…"

Zhou Qi was dumbfounded by the rap-like answers. If only this guy doesn't love money so much. He might have chances in the music industry. He furrowed his brows after realizing that he was still only scratching the surface.

Wuren continued to babble everything he knew.

"Stop. I get it already. For the next thing, let's see." Zhou Qi held his chin, thinking about what he should ask next. "Oh, where's the brother of that young lady over there."

Zhou Qi stooped down near to the ear of Wuren. He softly uttered something only the two of them could understand.

"Tsk, I heard from her that you now even sell kids? Your new business venture? Well, I won't really be shocked. After all, you even sold your former boss, right?"

Wuren's eyes froze in fear. The cat was already out of the bag. He knew that the loan shark was a righteous prick. A severe one at that. So severe that he was willing to dirty his hands.

He could only move his empty eyes on the girl sitting on the bed.

With a shaking voice, he could only raise his head and buy some time. Maybe, someone would save him. "He's going to the arena."

"The arena!"

Hearing the word 'arena,' Reine stood up and ran towards the door. Her eyes widening in horror. As she ran, the blood on the floor made her slip. It was fortunate that Zhou Qi caught the lady before her fall.

He was carried like a princess before being lightly thrown back into her into the bed. "Calm down! You wouldn't even be able to help your brother! At most, you'll be a big burden"

Reine ignored Zhou Qi. She jumped out of the bed again before slapping the face of Wuren. Her eyes were filled with wrath and indignation. Yet, warm tears fell on her face like a flood. "Damn monster! My brother trusted you. Yet, you sold him there!"

"I-I…"

"Sold?" Before Wuren could even answer, he saw the furrowed brows of the loan shark. Any wrong move or word, he would definitely die. "What's the arena? Wuren, please do answer me?

Wuren knew the loan shark even more than Sasa and Cheng Shi. He saw Zhou Qi growing up from a young boy into the new boss of the slums of Trent. He also witnessed the death of Zhou Qi's sister.

The tragedy that changed the innocent young man.

Wuren felt the shadow of death looming above his head. He knew that if he lied and Zhou Qi found out. It would be an agonizing death.

Wuren gulped a mouthful of thick saliva and salty tears. "Th-The Arena is a massacre show. The kidnapped people would be thrown in the arena to feed the pet of the boss."

"What kind of pet does the owner of this sh*tty place have?"

"A zealot."

"..."


Edited and decluttered chappy.

12