Chapter 25: Revenge
248 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 25: Revenge

"Haha, there's actually a bastard who dares to take zealots as a pet?" Zhou Qi burst into loud laughter. Yet his insides were blazing with disgust and hidden anger. And it was consuming him. His eyes turned bloodshot as he traveled back into his early memories of the void calamities. "Tell me the other things I still don't know."

"T-the visitors are coming from all places. Rich and powerful men are coming from other cities.” Sensing the glint of madness hiding in the depths of the loan shark’s dark pupils, Wuren stuttered. He decided to tell it all. “There are also locals. Most of them come from the city hall. Powerful and influential men!"

"Those damn coddling bastards!" Zhou Qi cursed in his heart. He felt a headache after realizing that it’s not only one coddling bastard. After all, to pull this bull requires a lot of bastards. “No wonder this place could escape the radar.”

Zhou Qi remembered the familiar faces he saw in the bar. A glint of understanding twinkled before his eyes. Lieutenant Chu and the big boss of Trent would definitely want to eat them alive. Zhou Qi sneered in his heart.

Meanwhile, the eyes of Reine grew a few inches bigger. She was silently listening to the two guys' exchange.

She finally had an inkling of what was happening. She heard the news about a lot of kidnappings happening throughout Trent. Nevertheless, it seemed the news was not reaching the top. So that was why!

Now, she feared what would happen to her brother.

Wuren stretched his neck and looked at the young lady. "The game would start at 2 am. It's only 1 am. Your brother is still in luck. He will be fattened up by all delicacies before facing the boss' pet."

Zhou Qi took a deep breath. He finally understood why the system considered this as a high-grade death mission. He was bound to fight a wielder. Then catch corrupt bureaucrats. Destroy an illegal establishment. And last but not least, save people.

Anyway, he wondered where those politicians got the guts to go against the Boss of Trent. Maybe, it had been too long since the current City Lord showed his strength.

Many people on the ladder had forgotten how scary the city lord was. If his guess was right, the city lord might already have improved his abilities once again.

The dumb politicians were too soak in power and money, losing their way in the process. Or maybe the wielder inside the establishment gave the assurance?

Anyway, Zhou Qi could already see a bloodbath coming.

The old city lord was someone who hates getting cheated. He's an odd old man who was willing to entrust everything to those who have skills. But once someone crosses a specific line, the old man wouldn't stay still until you're caught and dead.

Zhou Qi then tapped his earpiece.

"Fatty, I know you hear me. No useless talk. Send what you hear to the Lieutenant. If possible, tell her to inform the city lord. Let's wipe this place clean."

"Affirmative."

Zhou Qi turned his head, casting his gaze on Wuren. He pulled a brown chair lying beside a table cabinet. He stretched his arms a bit before comfortably putting his hand on his chin.

"I know there's something I don't know. Come on, spit it out. If I'm please, I won't kill you."

Hearing the promise of Zhou Qi, Wuren's dead eye blinked with hope. He also knew that once the loan shark promises something, he would do his best to make sure it would happen.

The loan shark was a man of his words.

An ember of hope glinted on his panda eyes. "Really?"

Zhou Qi showed a grin, the edges of his teeth flashing. "Come on. You know me since I'm a kid. I keep my promises. I even paid you and offered an interest-free loan after you sold Stupid Bu."

"Anyway, you got nothing to lose. If you talk, you got my promise. And if you don't …that's another story." Zhou Qi's bright pearls lit up the room. However, his hands were making various gestures. The first gesture was a slit throat. The second one was also slitting a throat. The third one…Wuren couldn't understand anymore. No, he refused to understand!

Wuren dropped his head, his white hairs building its way to the top of his head. The man closed his eyes, thinking of all possibilities that could lead him to a soft landing spot. He was indeed a sly old fox.

Wuren opened his eyes. It seems like he already got a way out. He raised his head and looked at the loan shark with closed eyes. "I believe you won't kill me! But your friends and those officers playing in the police station, will not let me off. I swear I will tell everything if you guarantee that she will not be the end of me. Maybe, some jail time is good enough."

Zhou Qi's eyes widened. This witty fox! He clearly knew what to ask. Thinking for a moment, it wasn't a bad deal. "Haha, you're still good with your words. Alright! I'll guarantee that the Lieutenant will not put her hand on you. But…! You must add more juicy information. If I'm satisfied, you won't even have to pay your old debt."

In Wuren's heart, one of the knots was now untangled. A soft sigh echoed along with his heartbeats. But in a few moments, Wuren grimaced, his mouth wrinkling as if he would die as soon as revealed the secret.

The damn loan shark still remembered my big debt! The bastard is squeezing me dry. Anyway, as long as I survive. I believe I could bounce back and get even in the future. He needed to maintain the act. He thought.

The room went soundless. There was a pin drop silence vibrating throughout the room.

Wuren's face changed colors. His brows furrowing and twitching.

Wuren looked as if he's in a dilemma as if he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. It seemed like he was in a struggle.

This guy was indeed a good actor!

After Zhou Qi saw this, he smiled. If he didn't know the guy's character, he would have already added some nice things for him. The guy was stalling for more benefits.

Zhou Qi knew what Wuren was trying to do. He wanted to get the higher ground on this negotiation. Even he's already a bullet away from death; this old bitter grass still dared to negotiate, trying to maximize what he could get.

Crack.

Zhou Qi frowned, his voice turning more profound and more in-depth. "Come on, Wuren. I know the game you're playing. But the thing is… I don't want to play. There are only two choices. You'll talk, or I'll make you talk!"

Reine was a bit startled by the cracking sound. She saw the arms of the chair where Zhou Qi was sitting, shattered. It was crushed using the loan shark's pure grip.

On the other hand, hearing the grating sounds, Wuren lifted his head. The crushed wood on the loan shark's side made him gasp in cold air. He remembered how Zhou Qi man-handled his puny head. He saw his head popping under the force of that grip. The powdered wood on the hand of Zhou Qi made him remember that this wasn't a negotiation. His fear was like a cold bucket of water splashing over him. It woke him up back to reality.

Wuren could only smile wryly. "There's a wielder within the building. He is the boss protecting this place. Although I only met him for a short moment. I knew that he's more relentless and ruthless than Old Bu. He's willing to use any means to achieve his goal. You better not believe anything he says. If my tongue is like a lying snake, that guy is a king cobra. He'll spit poison to your face."

After saying that, Wuren peeked at the face of the loan shark. He then nodded. "Come to think of it. He's the complete opposite of you."

Fear gripped the heart of the young lady sitting on the bed. The one who caught them was a bonified madman. Was she really supposed to hear this sensitive information?

She peeked at Zhou Qi, only to be met by a nod. "Consider this information top secret. It is also your fortune to know this. Maybe, you could use it to protect yourself and your brother in the future."

The words of Zhou Qi calmed the young lady. It wouldn't hurt to hear some more. After all, she and her brother were among the victims.

Zhou Qi acted as if he wasn't affected at all. Nevertheless, he was quite curious about this guy. Out of the whole City of Trent, he only managed to meet a handful of wielders. Most of them were working for the city government, while some were protecting the city within the shadows just like him.

Of course, if there's a good guy. There's bound to be rotten eggs. Luckily, most of these wielders were already hunted and killed. Some kept themselves hidden, thriving in the shadows. The few rotten eggs that survived were either lucky or powerful.

Zhou Qi slipped out a hollow laugh. He walked, "Good answer, but I already know about the wielder."

Wuren knew that the loan shark wasn't joking. He has a good eye for judging people. One looked, and he knew that Zhou Qi wasn't lying.

"Where did you--."

Zhou Qi immediately put his fingers on his lips. An unfathomable smile formed on his mouth, winking. "It's a secret. And if I tell you, it's not a secret anymore, right?"

Wuren took a deep breath. "Alright. I guess you already caught sight of the councilors and businessmen inside. You even killed this guy from the other city. Do you still need me to talk about them?"

"Now we're talking!" Zhou Qi focused his eyes and ears. He reached out to his ears, clicking something on the earpiece. "You could now talk. Oh, please don't talk gibberish, Fatty and the Lieutenant could double-check for me."

A wry smile appeared on Wuren's face. "I'm wondering if there's a fate between us. Every time you're taking down someone, I usually end up the one selling them to you. Maybe once I'm free, I should just join you. It looks like working for you is not that bad."

Zhou Qi eyed the sly old man for a moment. He thought that if it's workable, why not? Nevertheless, after a moment, he shook his head. He peeked at the young lady at the bed. "No, I won't allow it. This time you really broke any remaining faith in you. I can't trust someone who sells kids for money."

Wuren could only break a smile in reply.

"Commissioner Ram Makesh."

"Councilor Lee Han."

"Secretary of Treasury – Alfred Roadfield"

"Undersecretary of Internal Affairs – Rudolf Choi."

"Minister of Necessities and Supply – Chu Rong."

The list continued. It was quite detailed. Zhou Qi took a deep breath. He felt a chill rising from the bottom of his heart. It seemed like the hands of the enemy had already corrupted a lot of influential people.

"Fatty, you know the drill. Send it quickly."

"Are you sure boss? We could earn quite a lot from this list. How bout’ I blackmail a few first?"

"Don’t and I'm sure. Let's consider this a gift to our dear lieutenant. We must never be too greedy. We still could get a lot from this. Maybe, not money but influence!"

Zhou Qi could hear rapid typing from the intercom.

"Fine, fine, you're the boss. Although I already know your answer. I just want to be sure. Sending… and done!"

"Haha, you're the best! I loved you Fatty!"

Zhou Qi heard a spitting sound from his earpiece.

"Yuck! Get a girl boss. I don't swing your way!"

"Come on, don’t be so shy!"

After finishing his buddy chat with Fatty, Zhou Qi turned his head back to Wuren.

"Wuren how do I use hotel service here. This place has that right?"

"Just dial two on that telephone. As long as it's not some unreasonable request, they could do it." Wuren answered instinctively.

"Thank you!"

A friendly grin danced on the loan shark's facial muscles.

Soon, Wuren felt a chill invading his heart. He could feel the murderous gaze scratching his instinct. His body shook, he tried to run to the door and shout. Unfortunately, the figure of Zhou Qi flashed before his eyes.

"You! You! You promise not to kill me!"

A cloth gagged Wuren. A light fist soon arrived at his stomach, making him squirm on the ground in silence. A sour smell poured out, a sour stench accompanying the puddle.

"Hmff. Hmph!"

"Don't worry. I will keep the end of the bargain." Zhou Qi walked towards Reine. The young lady was still dumbfounded by what she heard. "I won't kill you, and I won't let you die on the hands of the lieutenant."

Zhou Qi pulled out a small pistol from his pocket.

Wuren saw the pistol, and his eyes widened two-fold until it became bloodshot. There was a mixture of anger and fear in the greedy bastard’s eyes.

Zhou Qi took the pistol and gave it to Reine. He then put the small handgun on the girl's hand.

"This one doesn't make any noise." Zhou Qi made an okay sign with his two fingers.

Reine realized what Zhou Qi wanted her to do. Her hands shook for a moment. Fear gripped the young lady's heart.

Zhou Qi touched Reine's shaking hand. "Your brother…"

The words of the loan shark struck her like lightning. Light flashed before her eyes, her shaking hands stop. She made up her mind. She found a reason.

"Do you want me to teach you?" Zhou Qi asked.

The young lady nodded with determination. A silent confirmation.

Wuren's eyes went blank. He saw Zhou Qi and the young lady walking towards him. His heart almost leaped out of his throat. He regretted not making his request clear enough.

Slowly, he saw the small gun moving near him. His eyes could see the muzzle aiming at his temple.

"Hmnn, if you pull the trigger. It would be a direct hit. At this range, you will absolutely… not miss. Oh, do expect some blood splatters hitting your hand. I'll put some tissue here after you pull the trigger, kay?"

Wuren's mind went blank. He saw all the bad things he had done in his life. It was flashing like a cinematic movie of the old times. He was watching himself from his childhood until the first white hair grew from his head.

With a gasped, his nerves involuntarily shook.

"Okay, are you ready?"

"Y-yes," Reine uttered, her voice trembling a little. “Am I holding it right?”

“Add little support, yes that’s perfect!”

Wuren felt he was being tortured. If only he could speak, he would say. "Faster! Faster! Shoot me! Shoot me now!"

"Take a deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. In a count of three, pull the trigger."

"One."

"Two."

"Three!"

Pshh!

11