Chapter 29: The Frowning Old Man
226 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 29: The Frowning Old Man

Zhou Qi moved his eyes from left to right. He discovered that all the people in the room were following his move. One wrong step and he will definitely be swarmed---

Roarrgg...

"Ah.. ah.."

"For my lord…"

"Sha-ft."

Speak of the devil! And here it is!

Stupid growling noises echoed throughout the vast halls. Even so, Zhou Qi could see the confusion in the eyes of the people. Their actions far from what's on their minds. He knew that they were finally given orders.

It seemed like the mind of some people still refused to follow orders. While some, just went with the flow! All of a sudden, several people rushed towards him like crazies.

"What the heck? Hey!"

Their muddled eyes were a big contrast to their crazy haphazard dash.

"Fast!" Zhou Qi wondered if he owed them something. It seemed like the mind-control enabled them to put 101% of their capabilities.

The loan shark knew that he might accidentally crush some chin or bones. Even so, it must be done. Bending his knees, he drew strength for some high-speed brawl.

"Tsk, that sh*thead." Cursing Shaft, he moved his head at the swarming crowd, dodging left and right. "Woah, not the pants."

Zhou Qi raised his head, wishing that he won’t accidentally kill any innocent. No bat, nor guns. He must use a fist to knock them cold. He was not even sure if he won’t accidentally kill somebody. After all, he was not yet familiar with his latest power-up In this, he was clear.

Nevertheless, he must do his best to avoid any casualties.

"Shaft." Zhou Qi sighed in regret. He should have just punched the man to oblivion. A bullet or two might have been enough to stop this madness.

The crowd of more than five hundred swarmed towards him. All of them coming from various doors and windows. He could see some strong-willed individuals break dancing as they moved around. His eyes flashed. "So it's not total control… unless you cede."

"Let's dance."

Zhou Qi held his strength, shifting it to the minimum. He felt a little cramp thinking that he was giving a big handicapped against a prick. "Let's go for a classic street boxing."

Zhou Qi's eyes widened a little after he caught a thought. After an action movie, am I know on a zombie apocalypse movie? The attacks of the mind-controlled citizens indeed resembled those stupid zombies.

He also realized how dangerous the man called Shaft was. He wanted to lit up some incense to thank the all mighty system for warning him. If he wasn't some smart-ass, he might have already committed murder.

I won't get a virus if they bite right? Ignoring his muddy thoughts, Zhou Qi dodged around before dashing towards the zombie-like swarm.

The first unfortunate burly mutt arrived in front of him. The poor dud went for a tackle, jumping immediately after getting in range. The wrestler within the man's heart awakening with excitement. He could even see the burst of happiness shining in the man's eyes. This man was one weird dude for sure.

Zhou Qi lightly flicked his fist, dashing towards the man's chin.

Bam.

K.O!

Zhou Qi's eyes widened after the man flew in the air, spinning like a doll. The man's saliva spread and flew, gyrating out 360 degrees. A few teeth even flew in the air in a beautiful parabola.

Zhou Qi's sharp eyes could see the exacerbated light on the man's eyes. It was telling him, "Why so heavy-handed bro?"

The loan shark nodded a little with a serious face on. Sorry bro, I still need to adjust my strength. I'm not yet totally familiar with my physique. I've just got an upgrade like a mecha. Anyway, I'll buy fake teeth for you later.

Another man followed, he threw a punch sending the man's pearly whites up in the air… again. It seemed like he added a bit more force this time. Zhou Qi looked at the man with a guilty pout.

From now on, the man will have to chew with his gums! Zhou Qi felt very sorry for this dude. He wondered how will he fix the man’s loose gums later.

The third one to arrive in front of him was a lady. There was despair in her eyes. It seemed like she saw the savageness of Zhou Qi. Legit terror reflected in her eyes.

Zhou Qi wanted to scratch his head after seeing the miserable eyes of the lady. He dashed towards the back of the lady. Giving her, the lightest chop a loan shark could provide.

Zhou Qi sweated bullets, cursing himself as he tried his best to control his strength. "A little, only a little. Hmmnn!" He was like a newbie, driving a ten-wheeler despite not having any knowledge or license at all. The cherry on the top is…he was like only ten-years-old!

The lady's eyes went vacant, flopping on the floor like a dead fish.

The loan shark almost thought that he killed the lady, sending him into a short panic. Soon, he heard soft breaths coming from the lady. "Wew."

Zhou Qi sighed in his heart. Moving his head around, he saw the first and second men that he punched, standing up...again.

This time, he saw true hate in those pairs of eyes. The two were asking, why didn't you just knocked me down like that lady?

Zhou Qi felt a lump of words rising in his heart. He wanted to declare his innocence in front of those two men. Yes, he felt guilty. His lips felt parched, the slits of his mouth squirmed to get an explanation out.

Yet, a sheepish beam appeared on his chapped lips. It was the only thing he could offer.

Then, he moved his eyes away and put on a serious face. He ignored the pricking gazes.

Soon, another batch came. Fear was evident in those eyes. It seemed like this batch was also conscious. They were like living puppets under the puppeteer's strings.

He wanted to move away and find the pricked. But that's for later.

Dashing like a wind, Zhou Qi sped up, hitting the back neck of the swarming crowd. He knocked them out in the cold. He saw gratefulness in the eyes of a few people. Of course, he still unconsciously sent a few sets of teeth flying. He felt sorry, promising that he would pay for their fake teeth later.

The local dentists of Trent will surely pay him thanks later.

"It's reflex really!"

Zhou Qi felt more tired, sweat drowning his eyebrows. He never thought that controlling his newfound improvement was this hard.

"Fatty, what's up. Did you found the bastard?"

"The security system is already under my control. Anyway bro, you sure powered up once again. I'll get a nice dentist for them." Fatty laughed, his words laced with meaning. "He's hiding behind the zealot, behind the stage of the arena. He's moving away towards a big hall. Oh, he also brought a few hostages."

Zhou Qi tapped his forehead. It was clearly a trap.

Did Shaft think I would fall for that? Oh, Wait. Zhou Qi thought of something. "Our boy?"

"You're right indeed! That boy has a great knack for misfortune. He's one of the unlucky ones." Hearing that, Zhou Qi grimaced.

Now, what should he do?

"Any advice?"

"I'm not an-"

Bang!

Zhou Qi turned his head from the source of the loud bang. He saw Sasa pointing her UZI everywhere. The special force police followed suit. He could sense a feeling of dread from them.

All the things they learned in the academy were useless in front of the Cheng Shi and Sasa. The two just rushed ahead, knocking out every enemy they could find.

After all, Sasa and Cheng Shi hated long-windedness. They'll just mow everything if possible.

Seeing this, Zhou Qi couldn't help but laugh.

"They're here." Zhou Qi tapped his earpiece.

"I know."

Zhou Qi signaled his hand towards the police officers. He pointed at the zombie swarm. The mind-controlled crowd was starting to act up once again. Some even standing up despite their swelling faces.

"Don't shoot! They're mind-controlled. Just knocked them out again and again. Put them in a safe place."

All of a sudden, Zhou Qi felt a sense of life-threatening danger. This time, his senses were roaring, warning him about a great threat. One move and he is dead. He felt like an ant in front of a dinosaur. He shifted his head slowly towards the source. It was coming from one of the seats inside the hall.

"Is this Shaft again?" Zhou Qi gritted his teeth.

Zhou Qi shifted his neck. Then, his eyes widened. He saw a thin old man with a bald head. The old man poured juice towards his mouth. His checkered black-and-white suit was stained with orange and red. A long white beard draping his face. It was the old man he just cussed before. It was the frigging frowning old man!

And he was eyeing him.

Zhou Qi felt a jolt in his heart. One look and Zhou Qi felt how dangerous one was. Is this guy also an enemy? He moved his head and saw Sasa and Cheng Shi dripping with sweat, their eyes focused on the old man.

Nevertheless, the police officers nearby just stood there. A few even had their mouths hanging wide open. None of them could utter a sound. All they could do was to deal with the zombie horde in front of them.

The old man stood up from his seat, tapping his stomach. He uttered some incomprehensible words. "I'm full."

He cast a look at Cheng Shi and Sasa, "Don't move."

"This, this…Zho- Q-, th-at….Bzzt. Bztt." Zhou Qi heard Fatty shouting something in his earpiece before being silenced by a static.

The old man ogled him, shaking his head a little. “Not gonna work.”

The loan shark felt terrible. He could feel his legs tingling. No, it was shaking. He put all his strength on his legs to avoid stumbling headfirst. He fought against the pressure with his sheer stats alone. A considerable headache followed, making him want to puke. Is this a mind attack?

Zhou Qi knew that if he fell on the ground, he would definitely lose his consciousness. He was rooted in his feet.

Seeing this, the old man's eyes lit up. He walked towards Zhou Qi, a grin flashing on the old man's lips. He walked around Zhou Qi. The old man squinted. He checked the loan shark's body with a penetrating gaze. His arms, his face, his legs, his hands, and everything including… his…goods…

"…"

Zhou Qi simply felt... Silly! This injustice!

After a thorough eye-check, the old man snapped his finger in the air. Zhou Qi felt a light buzzed in his ear. Then, all the twitching mind-controlled bodies dipped on the floor. Each of them, losing consciousness. He signaled a few officers to move and picked up the people.

He pointed at a few twitching men. "Leave those here with us? Go save the others in the room."

Then, the old man went in front of the loan shark, sizing him up and down. He then tapped Zhou Qi's cheeks until it was cherry red. "Boy? Yar my granddaughter's hidden lover eh?"

Zhou Qi: "…"

8