Chapter 36: Courage
207 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 36: Courage

When one's life comes under threat, selfishness rise yet no one can blame anyone. In front of death, all are tested. Even one's humanity must undergo constant forging, to know which are true and which are false.

In the age of chaos. Life is such.

"Hic. Hic. Help them. Mom, Someone. Help Dad? Dad! Elder Brother. Hic." The little girl continued to call, asking for help at the top of her lungs. She fell on her knees, tears flowing down like a waterfall. Her face covered in soot and ash, on her hands was a dirty and ragged doll. She cried yet the passing crowd simply ignored her as if she doesn't even exist.

The obvious signs of stitching showed how old the doll was. The little girl's family was among the refugees - the poorest in Basil street. After all, the street was known to be the home of new refugees. The city of Trent was one of the rare cities which accept and integrate refugees. Homeless people in this era were abhorred by other powerful city-states. Who would want a piece of heavy baggage in this era? After all, most city-states only wished for power, influence, and money.

The muffled voice of the little girl reached the ears of the young officer, making him stop on his feet. He felt his frozen heart thawed by the heart-rending cries. "Sh*t! Argghh. Chief why?! Hah, damn it! You got me. What the hell am I doing man?! Damn, old uncle! I can run, but I definitely can't ignore this sh*t!"

The young officer shifted his gaze around, looking for the source of the voice. The young officer called Don caught sight of the little girl. He immediately dashed, ignoring the fact that he was supposed to run for his life. Fighting against the rushing tide of people, he arrived at the front, protecting the little girl from the rushing people.

He went on his knees and looked at the crying little girl. Don was really bad with words. He was bad at expressing himself so he couldn't find any word of comfort. Being in the middle of the flames, lightning arcs above, and chaos in their midst. It's a gargantuan task to get the little girl to stop crying. He took a deep breath and used what his old uncle always does when he bawls. An old memory drifting into his thoughts.

The young officer moved his hands, reaching towards the head of the crying little girl. He ruffled her hair, making it a bird's nest. "You're safe now. Don't cry."

"Hic, my mom. Help." The little girl raised her head, her tear-stained cheeks glowing with caution. And of course, a little light of hope. Someone had finally come to her aide.

Somehow, Don felt a spark of bravery after seeing those crystal clear eyes. He was starting to understand how his old uncle feels when he was a kid. After all, he was also once a crybaby kid. And once, he was part of the fleeing refugees. "Okay, calm down. Do you know where are they? Did they leave you?"

"No, hic. They got trapped by a falling wall," cried the little girl, tugging the hems of the young officer's shirt. "Help them, uncle."

Fleeting memories drifted into his mind, a time long ago. An old uncle also reached out his hand for a young orphan. Embers of determination flooded the young officer's heart. "Tell me where I'll do what I can. Do you know where they are?"

"Y-yes, old uncle."

"…"

Don's useless ego was pricked after getting tagged as an uncle. Well, he's only 25 this year. He sighed before ruffling the bird's nest-like hair again, a punishment for calling him, uncle. "Bring this older brother to them. I'll do my best to save them."

"Yes, hic. Thank you, uncle. Really, hic, than-" The little girl's eyes turned into a fountain. "I promise to tell the weird uncle candyman to give you some candies. I promised!"

"No worries, let's go now. I'll carry you on my shoulders tell me where they are." He smiled before lifting the little girl, putting her on his broad shoulder. "Hold tight on my neck, okay. Tell me the directions"

"Kay, hic."

"Let's go."

"Go over there, straight." Moving against the human tide, the young officer forced his way. Tiding through the chaotic crowd as he followed the little girl's directions. "T-then left. Another left uncle. There, it's our house."

The young officer looked at the place the young lady was pointing. Yet, he couldn't see any house. The old walls seemed to have fallen, rubbles over rubbles it was. It's more like a ruin. Only one old wall remained standing still.

"Here?"

"Y-yes, old uncle. I-I think it is here, pointing at the stack of rubbles." Sniffing as she pointed at the stone rubbles.

Even so, the young officer moved. Time makes a difference in rescue. That's what he learned in his officer training. The fallen walls and large stones pitting against each other gave him a headache. "Could someone still survive here?"

Don raised his head. He saw the thunderstorm and loud grating sounds turning fiercer and fiercer. It was getting worse with each passing moment. He got no more time to waste.

He looked at the girl for a moment before moving the stones on the top one by one. Digging on manual as fast as he could with his hands, seeking for any signs of life within the rubbles. Whether the girl's family was still alive.

After removing a few, he found a small gap between the fallen stones. He then shouted, "Anyone, here? Anyone!"

He moved his ears towards the hole, trying to find any signs of survivors. After a few shouts, he still heard no reply. He heaved a sigh of regret. It seemed like he was too late.

"He-lp."

His ears pricked, he felt like he heard something. He put his ears on the small hole again.

"Help! We are here! We can hear you! Help! Help!" Hearing the voice, Don felt a burst of happiness and hope to bubble in his heart.

"No one is hurt here, but my wife and kid are trapped! Help us please!" A man's voice echoed within the fallen debris followed by a lady and a kid.

"Yes wait for me, I'll try to find some help and remove all the stones!" The young officer roared towards the small opening. "Stay still and don't move too much unless needed."

Don smiled at the little girl, pointing at the small opening. "They're here. We'll ask other people for help. We need a few more arms to remove all this rubble."

"Really." In the innocent eyes of the little girl, a glint of hope appeared. She immediately ran towards, taking a look. "Mom! Dad! Brother!"

Muffled replies echoed back calming the little girl.

'Creak.'

All of a sudden, the last old wall still standing trembled. Slowly, it shook and fell. The shadows loomed over the head of the excited little girl. Everything happened so fast, making the young officer too slow to even react. The right words stuck in his mouth.

The sight of the falling wall and the little girl made the young officer's heart lurch. He felt like his heart was being twisted. Everything in front of him was playing in slow motion. He was like an ant playing under the fingers of mother time, falsely thinking that he was already out of its grasp.

The young officer felt like he was being tortured as an unknown feeling bubbled up from the depths of his soul, breaking out of its shell.

The little girl's smile of hope as he slowly ran towards him. Yet, he himself discovered how this little hope was about to be squashed. A life puffed just because fate wanted it to be.

The young officer knew life was unfair long ago. But he never knew… how unfair it could become. No! He wanted to save the little one. With all his strength, he pushed forward with gritted teeth. His eyes turning bloodshot. His reason told him that he will not be able to reach the little girl. But…to hell with reason! Most of the time, excessive thinking doesn't help people. Not in front of falling debris.

The young officer stood up, his legs brimming with strength. Putting forth all his strength and hope on his legs, he jumped towards the little girl. A little push could save the girl. His mind was roaring, telling him to save the little girl. A light waltzed towards his heart. It was the light of bravery and hope.

He reached out his hand, despite the fact that he wouldn't be able to push the little girl away. He knew the fact but his heart had another thought.

"Just a little more. A little more! I can reach it. Yes! " He roared in his mind.

All of a sudden, the young officer felt a certain force moving outside of his body. A few inches before he could reach the little lady. A unique force flew out from him, advancing towards the little girl. It nudged the little girl lightly, sending her away from the falling wall. The little girl flopped on the side, her mind full of questions.

However, it was now his turn. He was under the crosshairs of the falling wall. He felt like accepting fate. A proud feeling burst out of his heart. A smile then bloomed on his face. So, this will be the day that I die huh? Well, it's not bad. Not bad at all.

Then, he closed his eyes, waiting for his inevitable end. He never thought that death could so warm. Wait. Warm?

He opened his eyes and felt a wind blur catching his waist and body with care. In mere milliseconds, he saw himself drifting away from the falling wall. He watched it zoom out from his sight like everything was a dream.

Don knew that he was safe. But who...

He raised his head and saw his savior. The young officer's mouth went "O". He felt like he saw an angel. No, he felt like he finally found his destiny.

Short black hair drifted in the wind, caressing his face until it felt itchy. He could feel his face burning in shame. After realizing that his big frame was being princess-carried by a not-so masculine angel. A tinge of embarrassment flung his mind in disarray, making him squeak.

"Ah."

Sasa caught the young officer's expression and found it interesting. She flashed a smug smile at the officer, a gallant yet cool grin on her lips. "Fallen for me?"

And… the officer had fallen deep.

[Thud.]

To the cold solid ground, near the little girl.

"Take care of the kid for me. I'll do the digging you punny officer." The young lady grinned, showing her small biceps like a bodybuilder.

The slim lady rushed towards the hole. She lifted the boulders better than all the construction workers Don knew. After throwing the big one to the side, the lady took out two sharp daggers. Not even those heavy-duty machines could compare to the ladies swishing daggers.

With each slash, the boulders turned into chunks of tofu. The boulders fell prey to the lady's blade. A blade - akin to a stone grinder. The lady knew what she was doing, the intricate slashes were not without thought, it avoided what must be avoided. Not letting any chances of accidents to occur.

Don soon heard, crying voices coming from below. It grew louder and louder.

"We're safe! We're saved! Thank God." The cries of the little girl's family rang, waking Don from his stupor.

"Dad! Mom!" The little girl freed from the officer's arms, jumping towards her family.

The reunion was enough to lift a big boulder on the officer's heart. He shifted his gaze and walked towards the lady. "Thank you!"

"No worries officer!" Laughing she tapped the officer's shoulders, powerful enough to make him stagger.

"Oh, congrats on your awakening." The lady winked. " I saw that! Time to go."

She then jumped onto a roof, gazing around for new people to help.

"Wait what's your name!"

The lady stopped for a moment, turning back with a witty salute, "Sasa! Bye, see you later officer!"

And just like that, the lady went away after soloing everything as Don stood dumbfounded. He clenched his fist, knowing what he had earned through the short ordeal, "A gift."


Thanks for reading. Don't forget to click the heart shaped button. ^^

8