Xeno Flora: Impact (1/3)
52 6 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was an incoming asteroid that had been announced on the news. It had caused a mass panic as it was big enough to be a dinosaur killer.  Things were already bad enough with us suffering from a lack of fish and food because of climate change. The asteroid split up and small pods spread out across the world, landing into the earth. The news said to stay away from them and let the government take care of them.

 

I didn’t heed those warning since I lived in the middle of nowhere and it was on my property.Speaking to my dog Skaggy I spoke “I don’t want any fed’s on my land. Now be a good boy and come along.” Loading up some basic tools in my backpack for examination I had for farmin, I headed out to my truck, dog in tow. It was chilly outside being o’ five hundred and all, the air was crisp and clean though, which is why I liked it out here than in the smoggy city. Startin my engine, I rolled out to my approximate guess where the pod had landed.

 

I saw it as soon as I came around the hill and was shocked by its size. It was as tall as a maple tree and looked like a flowering plant bulb. The impact shoulda left a much larger crater, but it looked like it only partially planted in the ground. Was this some sorta xeno fona? It had an enormous base with a long steam that came out to an almost enclosed flower. The whole thing was brown at the base but the green top. 

 

Skaggy started barking madly at it from in the truck as I pulled up bout thirty feet away. 

 

Shaking my head, I muttered, “all right boy calm down. It ain’t gonna hurt ya.” I pet him on the back of the head and he calmed down. He was a good loyal lab. Grabbing my pack sitting next to me, I got out of my truck Skags following behind. Nothin looked to off about it, no aliens runnin’ out of it, the air smelt fine, I wasn’t in any immediate danger. I set my pack down right next to the thing and pulled out a pair of gloves. I put my hand to it was rough but warm, it felt almost alive. I saw roots going into the ground and knew these would be my best bet to get a sample. It seemed like a rather bad idea though considerin all those movie where some alien hugs your face to death.

 

Reaching for my belt I pulled out my large bowie knife, I carefully carved into a root I saw. It secreted a white liquid, kneeling closer it smelt odorless. The circular piece I got was white, almost coconut like it was squishy and dense. I put it into a baggy and headed back to my truck, skags took a quick sniff from where I cut and ran bolted back to the truck. I hopped in soon after and we drove back to my place to do some tests. 

 

I ran it through a nutrient machine I had on hand to test my crops.

Poison: NA

Nutrients:   

-----------------------

N, %         3.00     

P, %         0.25      

K, %         1.90      

Ca, %        0.40      

Mg, %        0.25     

            

Zn,ppm        15       

B,ppm         10       

Mn, ppm       15       

Fe, ppm       25       

Cu,ppm         5         

-----------------------

 

Hmm, nothin suspicious, that’s odd. I took it to my pig pen and fed it to one of the older pigs that was gettin on in years.  I observed as its eyes glossed over, it starred frozen still. I checked its pulse which was fine, its temperature was good, no cold sweats or nothin. As I was checkin it, it moved in the direction of the xeno flora. It just stood there staring, not movin’. I tried patting her head and pushing her, but she wouldn’t budge. I had other chores to do and went about my day. I returned to find her still just stand’n there, starin in the direction of that plant.

 

I went to  bed ponder’in what the ramification of the plant would be. I am sure the city folk are freakin out and I know the government is hiding the truth about it. I should get probably get online and check out the news to see what’s goin on with it.

 

When mornin hit with the sound of my rooster, I looked out to see how my pig was doin. She was gone I immediately put my shoes on and headed outside since I was already in my pjs. When i got to the cage, it looked like she’d jumped out and headed towards the plant. 

 

I grabbed my coat and called out to Skags “C’mon boy, we gotta our selves a loose one”. He came barreling out of the house and headed straight to my truck as I met him there. We got in and I floored it with a solid led foot on the gas pedal. I sped off towards the plant.

 

Once there, I search around it and found the pig’s foot tracks leading straight towards the plant then they just disappeared. I looked all around callin out for her and such but couldn’t find her. Skags just sat there growlin at the plant. After about twenty minutes, I gave up and grabbed another plant sample before heading back to my farm. 

 

When I got home, I checked online to see what people were sayin about these plants. There were stories of people goin missin who had been messin with the plants. The government and news agency warned citizens to stay away from the plants. No one could figure out where they had wen’t. After I spent a few more hours lookin around couldn’t find nothin other than a government registry to say if you had one near you or not, but pshhh like I was gonna tell the feds. I headed out to the farm to feed the animals and get some other chores done.

 

Edit: Added Mention of aliens face huger from user @Tendo

0