Chapter Eighteen: My Mirror in Silver
60 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a week since Choice had arrived at Loth and she had not yet met any officials of the Moon Shrine to begin her pilgrimage. The only time she met one of them was when she had stumbled into the town dizzy and groggy from the loss of blood from her injuries. Surprisingly (and luckily), one of the priestesses was there waiting for her at the gate

She had taken Choice from Robert and reassured him that Choice would be taken care of. The experience they had gone through seemed to have helped in improving their relationship as Robert had been worried about her. Nothing like a bit of terror to smooth things over.

Still, that had been a week ago and Choice had now healed. Although she could not purposefully heal herself, her body’s healing ability had improved and sped up. Three days ago, she had healed but the shrine had requested for her to wait before she could pay her respects. So here she was waiting at a house close to the Shrine. The priestess had even told her that she could stay for free.

As she wondered about the reasoning of the shrine priests and priestesses, the tea in her cup rose up. She looked at the floating liquid and smiled. This was a change that was very welcomed. She did not know whether it was because of the fight or the priestesses care but her abilities had drastically improved. She’d never had such impeccable control before apart from her awakening and when she had entered that odd state at Internationale.

This was the reason why she had not complained much when the shrine had delayed her plans. She just could not get tired of moving the liquids around her. And most importantly, it didn’t seem to matter what her mood was. Frustrated, annoyed, irritated, happy, joyful… It didn’t seem to matter. She could control water in anyone of them. Yes, she still seemed to control water the best when she was at her most placid but at least she could now use her abilities in whatever mood she wanted.

“You know that doesn’t stop being freaky no matter how many times I see it,” A voice said suddenly. Choice put down the book she had gotten from the Internationale library and the tea went back into the cup. She smiled at Robert who’d entered the room the shrine had lent to her.

“Hmm. This. It’s just water. No need to be freaked out.”

“You’re right I’m not freaked out, I’m fucking scared. That ‘just water’ killed one of the best warriors I know,” Robert answered with an exaggerated expression on his face. However, although he spoke jovially, his stood stiffly and warily.

Choice laughed and ignored his actions. Regardless of whether he was scared or not, she was pleased at her victory. She’d broken past her limits and surpassed her expectations. What was not to like?

“I guess business went well?”

“Yes.” What business it was and how well it had gone went unanswered. Choice tapped her fingers on the table next to her and the tea in the cup moved according to the rhythm.

“I guess it’s good that I saved you.”

It was that maid of yours that killed the people blocking the road, Robert thought but did not voice.

“Thank you for keeping me safe. As a way of appreciation, here’s a token of gratitude for you,” Robert said and put a pouch of money on the table. Choice did not look at the pouch but kept on tapping the teacup. She shook her head and breathed in before taking a sip. It was cold.

“Let me guess. It’s all the money I gave you throughout the trip.”

“All of it and then some.”

“What’s that? Fifteen gold? Twenty?”

“Thirty gold.” At this amount, Choice stirred her cold tea and put it down on the table. It was unfortunate that she couldn’t change the temperature of water but she was certain that she would be able to do in the future.

“I’m beginning to wonder what kind of business you had in such a small town that you are able to give up thirty gold so easily. Aren’t you merchants more stingy than this.”

“It’s because I am a merchant that’s why I can give it up so easily. I know the kind of people to mess around with.”

“Hmm and you think thirty gold is enough to do that,” Choice asked a strange smile still on her face. Robert purposefully did not flinch but shrugged. “How much is your life worth Richard? How much would you price it. Thirty gold? Forty? What about a hundred?”

“I don’t think I can give you a hundred gold,” he replied evenly.

“I don’t want your money Mr Cloister or should I say Mr Overrun. Perhaps, it is better to say I don’t want just your money.”

“Cloister, please,” He said with a bite in his voice, “Overrun is an old memory. And what do you want then?”

“Yes, the Overrun merchant family is an old one and it is becoming a bit of a memory. It spans countries but it’s too big and there’s too much infighting. I bet in a few years, there’ll be nothing like the Overrun family. But I guess a second born like you does not care what happens to such a family.”

“What do you want?”

“Even a hundred gold is not going to buy your life back. What do I want? I want your willing service. If you’re so grateful show it with your actions.” 

Robert scoffed at this response and shook his head. “Me and the Overrun family have nothing to do with each other anymore. Whether it becomes a memory or not is nothing to me. It’s better to collect money from me. I don’t know if my willing service is anything to you.”

“What do you think about this country?”

Robert looked confused at this segue.

“It’s...fine?”

“Fine? Heh. Robert Cloister, the Overrun family might have outgrown this country but they came from Legume and you were born in Legume. You should have some loyalty to your country. Does it look fine to you?”

“Well, I’m getting by alright.”

“Hah alright. An Overrun has to be forced to sell unsavoury products to get by. There are bandits or rebels, whatever you call them, so close to the capital and apparently there is a starvation crisis in the nation and nobody seems to know or care. Is that what you call getting by alright?”

“I don’t see what this has to do with my service,” Robert said laughing nervously. He was becoming increasingly disturbed by the way the conversation was going. He had no idea what Reka was talking about but his instincts were telling him that this conversation was important.

Choice got up from her seat and paced around the room.

“Since I healed I have been walking around town. There are people openly starving. Not here close to the gate of course but if you can smell them you can see them.”

“Surely, you didn’t go to the slums,” Robert said in a hesitant voice.

“Nah, I know what I can do. If I had gone there — a rich girl like me — they would have torn me apart.”

“Well I’m glad you know that,” he said relieved. 

Choice looked amused at this.

“Aw I didn’t know you cared so much about me. That is so heartwarming.”

“You saved my life. I’m just wandering about my benefactor.”

“Fine, let’s cut to the chase. I represent the royal family. A new breed, a new generation of royalty. I care and I want to make things better so won’t you help me, Choice Legume, restore this country to its rightful state.”

Robert paused at this revelation and looked up at the smiling Choice. He sighed and dropped down to a chair before putting his face in his hands.

“I need a drink,” He muttered, “And definitely not tea which by the way, your tea has gone fucking cold.”

“I don’t drink alcohol, sorry. Do you want me to call one of the priestesses to give you a drink?”

“No. Thanks but no.” No alcohol? Robert thought, Well that explains a lot.

“Oh well, I was just offering.”

“I mean to your offer of ‘restoring this country’. Restore to what. It’s always been like this just slightly better. This is supposed to be a paradise for food but it is forbidden to till the land until you have received a permit and necessary food crops are not allowed to be planted. Instead the land is reserved for more exotic crops that aren’t shared with the people. You think Legume reached its current state in just one generation. It’s been building up for years and years.”

“So join me and help me fix it.”

“No offence but no thanks Your Highness. Whichever prince you represent is not here now, are they? They’re in their palace or receiving the best education not out with the people knowing their struggles. Besides, I’m quite fine with my life. I don’t get involved with politics.”

“Hmm,” She said smiling wryly and raising an eyebrow, “For someone who doesn’t care about politics, you seem very passionate about what is going on in this kingdom.”

“Ah forgive this subject, your highness but this is how people normally talk in this kingdom. It’s not political in anyway.”

“But you are not an ordinary person. As an Overrun, your voice is valuable.”

“I’m not an Overrun. I don’t belong to that family. I am my own person with my own company.”

“You say that now but isn’t that because you have been chased out. I’m certain that if you get back on your feet, the Overrun family would be pleased to have you back.”

Robert scoffed. “It looks like to a noble person like you, the words of a commoner like myself do not matter.”

“I know right. If that’s the case why don’t you do what I want,” Robert glanced at her to see her smiling. It looked sincere. “You didn’t deny what I said. Wouldn’t it feel great to control the family that chased you out? They tossed 

you aside like nothing but you would decide the life and death of that family. Whether they prevail or perish would be decided by a sweep of your hands. Now doesn’t that sound appealing.”

Robert clenched his fists remembering his past. He would be lying if he denied that a part of him longed for the past when he was a part of the respected Overrun merchants. When he knew his place in the world. But it had been a long time and his mother and the person he had loved were dead. All because of that damn family. Robert breathed in and eased his fingers.

“Control… Control sounds good. I thought you just wanted me to join the family again. Still I am the second child. I would never inherit the family.”

“Ah, you sound interested. See, didn’t I say it was very appealing. You may be the second child but your mother was the official wife. You should have a claim.”

“My mother is dead. My stepmother is officially his wife.”

“She was a mistress when you were born. Technically, your elder brother is illegitimate. Perhaps in Borei where the Overrun merchants are based, he is recognised but in Legume, you would be seen as the heir. And the Overruns have to pay attention to your status in this kingdom. After all, no matter how far you leave, your birthplace is still your home.” Unfortunately, those laws don’t recognise women or I would be recognised as a possible heir to the throne. Still at least those archaic laws can be useful for something.

Robert stared at Choice for a moment before smiling. The smile grew wider and wider until it eventually turned into laughter. It was sardonic, mocking laughter.

“Ah, I'm certain that my family doesn’t know this,” he said between gasps, “They’ve spent so much money to make my brother the rightful heir but they didn’t touch the foundation.”

“The Birth and Heir register is not something that can be changed easily just by bribing someone. Only the top aristocratic families can see it and it can only be edited by the cultural secretary after a lot of investigation. If anyone could just change it, it would be a threat to every noble family.” 

At Robert’s expression, Choice gave a small smile. “Aristocratic history and culture were compulsory subjects at Perpetual. I was blessed to have a good memory.” It was the Devil’s ass but I wasn’t going to go to hell and learn nothing from it.

“Perpetual. I’ve heard things about it,” Robert said carefully, paying attention to her expression. Choice shook her head and twitched her finger. The tea moved.

“It’s either everything you heard or nothing you heard. But enough about that. What do you think about my proposal?”

“What proposal? All I’ve heard are insinuations.”

“Really? Fine, let me be clear,” Choice said and walked closer to Robert till she was just in front of him, “I want you to work for me to make this Kingdom go back to its former glory and even surpass it. This way you can pay off your life debt. You won’t get nothing from this, I will support you till the Overrun family falls in your hands. Such a simple proposal. Isn’t it appealing?” Choice smiled and held her hand to him.

Robert looked at the smiling woman in front of him. Frankly, he’d had an idea of what the Princess of Legume would be like - a beautiful, charming, gentle woman. Just like a princess in one of those stories. Choice certainly was not beautiful, somewhat pretty yes but nothing stunning. As for charming, maybe in the way that fire is charming when you are a child. It entices you to touch it and then burns you. There was no way she was gentle, not with those eyes full of malice. For a moment, he wondered whether he was making the wrong decision and if he would regret it later.

Robert noticed the tea was floating in the air again and saw Choice hide her twitching fingers behind her back. The tea fell back into the cup. He suddenly grinned at the sight. So he wasn’t the only one feeling the importance of the moment. Looks like her highness is also nervous. Maybe she wasn’t like fire after all. If he was going to die, he would rather drown than burn. It wasn’t like he could avoid it anyway. She had claimed a life debt and although many Boreins dismissed them as archaic supernatural bullshit, he had seen too many things that couldn’t be explained away as just being natural effects wild mana. Maybe it was the Legumian in him. He didn’t want to be attacked by the spirits or wild mana.

He stood up then shook her hand.

“Let’s walk well together then. I can’t wait till the Overrun family is in my hands. Although I wonder what will happen afterwards.”

“Afterwards?” Choice asked and smirked. The tea came and hovered over her hand, changing shapes into what appeared to be different types of weapons. “I’m sure we will be very good friends.”

Robert glance at the changing liquid. “I’m sure.” Choice shook her hand and the tea disappeared but did not go back to the tea cup.

“It was cold. There’s no point to cold tea.”

“True that. But cold alcohol is great. Hot palm wine is great too. I think you should rethink this no alcohol thing.”

Choice laughed at this statement. The atmosphere returned to how it was before they started talking about the fates of Kingdom and families.

“By the way, I forgot to ask. But what prince are you - and I - supporting?”

“Ah, well. Remember how I said that you are working for me? Well there is no prince. There’s just me.”

“You? How are you going to change the country on your own? Won’t it be best to have a future King helping out.”

“Robert, you know your service is actually a repayment for your life debt but I promised to help you with your dream. It’s because you remind me of myself. We’re both born to the legitimate wives but are ranked second. Isn’t it annoying?”

“D-don’t tell me?”

“Yes, I am the one trying to be the future King. I guess we will both be trying to inherit from our fathers at the same time. I wonder who will get there first.”

“Ha. Fuck I really need that drink. How many fucking revelations are going to happen in a single conversation?”

Choice laughed at his actions but hoped he did not react negatively. She had put in so much effort in saving his life, she did not want to hurt a person that she actually liked and thought she understood. Although, would anyone really believe a disgraced Overrun that a Princess would have such contrary thoughts?

My mother might. I haven’t seen Rachel since that day. I know I told the priestesses to lie to anyone looking for me but she did not even come to Loth. I’m certain she’s out there somewhere. If she told my mother that Robert and I met, my mother would believe him and then… No! I’m not ready to confront my mother yet. If he rejects my offer, I’ll have to… I hope not. 

...I wonder when I began to see murder as an acceptable answer.

“Seriously, you’re having me on. Just say gotcha so I can move past it.”

“No I’m serious, I plan to be the next King. I’m surprised you’re surprised. I know some of the minor and even major families in Borei have female leaders.”

“Yeah but even that is rare and I was born in Legume. We’ve never had female leaders here not to talk about a female King. It’s unprecedented”

“Well get used to that with me. Disgraced second sons don’t control respected families either. That’s what’s fun about this.”

“Fun? Try insane,” he whispered incredulously. Choice’s smile grew wider. He sounded shocked but it looked like he was thinking about it.

“Yes fun. Now don’t think I’m doing this for the thrill of it. I’m doing this because I think I can be a great monarch. But even though you’re surprised and freaked out, aren’t you excited. We’re going to be doing something that has never been done before. If we win, our names will be left behind forever in the annals of history.”

“I’m not excited. I’m fucking scared.”

“Really? Maybe you are but if you aren’t excited why are you smiling? Yes you are smiling.”

Robert raised his hands to feel his raised lips. His heart was racing and beating fast. “Ah I really am smiling. It’s true what they say about youths. You guys don’t fear anything.”

“I guess old people like yourself need a bit of youthful energy.”

“Hey I’m only twenty eight. Don’t call me old.”

“Ah and here I thought you were thirty two. It’s that horrible beard.” Both of them laughed and joked around. Choice inhaled in relief. She wouldn’t have to kill him after all. He had not disappointed her.

“It’s going to be difficult though. Almost impossible.”

“Yes but I can win if I have money and power. Enough to overcome anyone and anything.”

“I guess I need to work harder than before.”

“Yes, I believe we have money covered and as for power,”— she raised her hand and the water from her jug rose up in the air— “I have all the power I need and it will just get better in the future.”

“Well to the future your majesty, I wish you all the best. May we conquer our respective families.”

“Yes may we receive blessings from the spirits we deify.”

“Um…”

“Don’t tell me you only worship the One.”

“Well, I guess it’s my Borein side.”

“Fucking Boreins.”


After an hour of joking and arguing about the difference between acknowledging the existence of spirits and worshipping during which Robert pulled out some wine from somewhere (a space device, looks like Robert has more secrets than I thought), Robert finally left. Choice gave him some pieces of cloth and connected him to the magic device she received from Lee. Now that had surprised him, the Overruns might be based in Borei but they weren’t a major power. It was only in small countries like Legume and Centrum that they had immense influence.

He’d joked that she had gotten herself a wealthy sponsor - well he said sugar daddy but she chose to ignore that, Lee was not a daddy in any way - and Choice wondered again at the reason why Lee had given her something so expensive. Yes, the Quan family could afford it but he must be aware how expensive and useful it was. Such devices would be able to buy the loyalty of many people. Surely, he wouldn’t use it just for romantic purposes.

Choice shook her head and decided to stop thinking about what a rich boy from a weird country was thinking. She should just enjoy the gift. She closed her eyes and started to focus on herself.

Since she had recovered, she had noticed that her ability to sense mana had improved. She had been able to notice the truly excessive amount of wild mana surrounding the Moon Shrine since she had arrived at Loth. She did not try to absorb any of the wild mana. Although, her borrowed book of mage basics has suggested it as a way to quickly replenish mana, that was for mages. She did not know how her mana would react to the infusion. Besides, the book advised caution as wild mana was different to the refined mana which mages had.

If even mages were careful with wild mana, what could an ability user like her do. So she did not touch it. Still, there was more to be happy about. She had also discovered something different about herself. When she was meditating, she had been able to get a clearer view of the amount of mana she had and when she moved water, she had been able to sense how much mana she was using. She could not do it all the time but as long as her consciousness was in contact with her mana, she could sense it and these days a part of her consciousness was always touching her mana.

If she could see her mana level and could know how much mana she was using, maybe she didn’t need to go through proofing? It was frankly expensive and Choice did not want any organisation to have any record of the details of her magic. Choice was not naive enough to believe that the Internationale only knew when and how many times her brothers proofed. She decided to wait a bit longer. It’s not like she had ten thousand gold coins on her anyway.

There was a knock on the door.

“Who is it,” She called.

“The Shrine is ready for you, Your Highness,” a voice responded.

Choice rushed to the door and opened it to see a tall hooded figure standing in front of it. This person was covered so thoroughly that she could not see even a hint of skin.

Choice looked up to the sky. “Well the Shrine does excellent timing. Or is it excellent dramatics.” It was a full moon tonight.

The figure shifted and although Choice could not see their face, she felt that they were amused. “A moon day is an auspicious day. Would you come with me? The head priestess is waiting. Everything is prepared.”

“Yes I will come with you. It’s all my pilgrimage is about.” The figure nodded and stepped back.

“Now? Huh, I guess now is alright. I have everything on me anyway.” Choice shut the door after her and stepped out of her room. She walked behind the figure and they walked out of the compound.

The priest or priestess did not say anything so Choice was content to walk behind them thinking about the allies she had already gathered and on what she would say at the Shrine.

It took only five minutes to reach the Shrine. When they reached the Shrine gates, the figure raised a hand. They stepped forward and stretched out their hand to touch the gate.

Choice raised and eyebrow.She had thought that the figure was a Minute Spirit sent to escort her. Although she had much better senses than others, she had not been able to hear a heartbeat or their breath. Surprisingly, they were human. Choice was once again reminded that the power of the spirits’ closest followers was not to be taken for granted. There was much of the world that she did not know.

The figures hand remained in the air for a minute and trembled before it fell back under her cloak. What was the point of all that? This Shrine is just too dramatic. She hadn’t finished thinking when she felt it. The wild mana surrounding the shrine had been one of the first things she had noticed when at Loth. And now at a gesture from a priest(ess?) all that mana was moving.

Frankly, it was overwhelming. Choice bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from staggering. The amount was so much that she could not focus on what the mana was doing just that it was there. Choice put more focus on her consciousness and distracted herself just barely with the flow of mana within her.

A few seconds later, it was over. The mana had settled as if it had never moved. But there was a difference.

Before the gesture and the mana, she had been able to see the grassy plains behind the gate and the Shrine behind that but now the view had changed. The grasses were softly glowing and a silver road with a crescent moon had appeared out of nowhere. The road led to the front door of a Shrine that was now softly glowing. The glow pulsed in tandem with her heart beat and there was a familiar feeling coming from the building. It felt like it was waiting for her and only her.

“Special entrance for special people,” The figure said in that still soft, stale voice. They paused and seemed to look at her. “Sorry,” they added. It was an apology for the wild mana.

“No need to apologise. This sight is worth it.” A nod and then the figure moved in front of her.

“Follow me.” Choice watched the figure before a grin broke out on her face. She had told Robert about power and affluence being important to get the throne. But they both knew that it was not enough. Legumians were superstitious people and the monarch was seen as important to the wellbeing of the state. Even if she had gotten the throne, keeping it would be difficult when fighting against tradition and culture. Any issues would be seen as a curse because the head of state was a woman.

She needed influence. She needed the power to have the people believe her, believe in her. This was the area she lacked in the most. Even Forrest had his own mystique going on. He was a commoner who became a prince. People love those kind of stories. She would be seen as just an entitled spoilt child hungering for power she did not deserve.

This was her influence, this would contribute to her mystique. If the Moon Temple - what all the Shrines were called collectively - decided to support her. She could touch the minds of the people, make them support her. She could have the divine on her side. Now she just had to convince them.

Choice looked at the figure walking ahead on the silver road. Out of nowhere, the full moon shone down on this view and everything looked silver. 

Choice smiled and stepped forward.

1