Chapter 3: Box to Win!
124 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night sky seemed to stare back at Axel as he stood there in silence. He took a moment to recollect himself and went to the request board to check if he had really fell unconscious and was automatically revived in the nearest town.

In the original Mabinogi, players that lost all their health points in a fight with monster had two basic options for revival. One was to revive in the nearest town away. The other option was to use a 'phoenix feather', which was a revival item that Milletians could restore their consciousness on the spot. Milletians were essentially immortal following these two options for revival.

Axel assumed that all players were Milletians and by logic in this world Axel should be immortal as well. When he peered over at the request board, he noticed that the two requests he had taken were indeed gone, and when he went into his inventory bag, he found that the request papers were still there.

This was mind boggling for Axel. He thought to himself, "So I auto revive in the nearest town if my health points hit zero, and so far there is no information about there being phoenix feathers existing or not in this world."

Seeing that it was already nighttime, Axel went back to the Dunbarton Church where the alluring young nun awaited him.

As he opened the twin door to the Church, he saw Kristell lighting the candles to illuminate the inside of the cathedral. He walked over and greeted the nun,

"Good evening Ms. Kristell."

"Good evening Axel." replied Kristell as she finished lighting up the last candle by the organ.

"Zero haul for today." said Axel as he opened up his arms and shrugged.

"Don't let a few setbacks get to you. I pray that you will have a bountiful harvest in your adventures tomorrow!" Kristell giggled.

Her mellow smile could captivate any normal male to submit to her. It was as if Axel was never slain by the White Spider and all his worries was purified in the holy aura of this seductive nun in front of him.

"....Thanks, I sure hope so!" said Axel with a shy voice.

Kristell waved goodbye and Axel went to the nearest church bench to lie down for the night. His eyes seemed to weigh upon him and he drifted off into the dream world.

In his dreams, Axel was running a few Shadow Missions solo in the original Mabinogi. He would always run 'Defeat the Shadow Wizard' as it had a lot of mobs and netted a good amount of experience points for leveling purposes. As he hit the orb inside the Shadow Realm, walls went up and a new wave of monsters were summoned. With a sudden burst of energy, he then pulled out a set of swords and used 'Final Hit'.

'Final Hit' was a Human-only secret skill that could decimate enemies in a torrent like fashion. One would dual wield swords and hack at their enemies and be able to teleport to the next monster to keep on attacking. The time limit for 'Final Hit' was 40 seconds, and this was more than enough time for Axel to destroy the 5 waves of mobs that appeared upon hitting the orb.

When Axel was done eliminating the last monster in the 5th wave, he noticed that the walls didn't come down as usual which was alarming. Soon after, a black ball of energy electrified in the space, and a Dark Knight with a large two-handed sword appeared out of the warp gate.

Axel had just finished using 'Final Hit' and this secret skill was now on cooldown for 240 seconds. With his trump card sealed, Axel could only use 'Bash', which was a condensed strength attack that dealt the equivalent of one blow used in Final Hit, at the cost of lessened attack speed.

As the Dark Knight zoomed in on Axel, it seemed to prepare a stance for combat. Axel took the initiative and used 'Bash' on the Dark Knight. As the blow was about to hit the Dark Knight's armor, a dark energy circulated around the Dark Knight's armor and bounced off Axel's attack.

"I can't believe this! This monster must be a special mini-boss or something." Right as Axel backed up and took a defensive stance, the Dark Knight swung his large two-handed sword towards Axel's kneecaps.

Axel couldn't block in time, and had evade the attack by jumping back. Just when he thought he had dodged the attack, Axel felt a dark energy ball hitting his chestplate. The next thing he saw was his vision blurring and the Dark Knight taking steps near him.

...

The morning bell in the Dunbarton Church gonged on time, and Axel woke up in a startle. He was sweating heavily and got up to get some fresh air outside. As he left the church, he moved towards the main plaza where the people were gathering around the request board.

While slowly glancing over the request board, Axel thought to himself, "I'd better do a request that's a bit easier this time, and not as far away from town."

After staring at the board for awhile, he saw one request that seemed to fit his current status as a newbie adventurer.

"Defeat 3 Brown Foxes and collect their pelt. Location: Outside of the North Dunbarton Gate. Reward: 250 gold."

Brown Foxes were the easiest monsters to defeat in Mabinogi. While this world was different from the original game, Axel thought that he did not want to die again from the White Spider to just collect a few cobwebs.

He quickly tore off the request and headed towards the North Dunbarton Gate. Upon passing the North Dunbarton Gate, he saw two infantry soldiers standing guard as usual. He traversed onwards a bit further and soon after he saw a few brown foxes loitering around the plains.

Like last time, Axel hid behind the tall grass, but this time he did not have to wait to collect materials. In a single motion, Axel took out his wooden stick and ambushed a brown fox that was idling next to the grass.

What happened in that collision almost made Axel want to shed tears of blood. The wooden stick snapped in half as if it was made out of scraps. This made the brown fox quite agitated and Axel had to take a step back in a hurry.

"Sh*t!", cursed Axel as he threw the broken wooden stick aside. With no options left but to engage in hand to hand combat. Axel took a boxing stance that he remember from watching a YouTube video, and did a charging strike at the brown fox.

"Whish!" A jab missed the brown fox, as it ducked away, but Axel followed up with a strong right and it luckily slammed into the lower abdomen of the fox.

The brown fox was down, and it seemed to be gasping for breath, as if its life was trickling away like quicksand. Axel saw this moment of weakness, and jumped on the fox's body and knelt down.

"BAM! BAAM! BAAAAT!" Blow after blow landed on the fox as Axel's fists were glazed with hot steamy blood. After a few more attacks, the fox stopped moving as if it had become a puppet.

"Phew!", yelled Axel as he took a deep breath and tried to gather all the air into his lungs. This had been a tiring fight for Axel who had the lowest stats while being only Level 1. Then he looked at the sun which was hanging high in the sky, which was slowly drying the blood on Axel's hands. Then he smiled widely as he examined his first kill,

"Well it's a first step to making something of myself in this awful world."

2