Chapter 4: First Paycheck!
94 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After his first kill, Axel was on a roll where he went and assaulted a few more brown foxes. Every time he tried to keep the fight 1 on 1, which allowed him to grasp a close victory. He continued until he could hear the gong of the Church Bell sound in the distance, signaling that it was 6:00PM. The sun was setting in accordance, and he quickly gathered the last brown fox pelt which he had skinned off skillfully.

As Axel moved towards the North Dunbarton Gate, he saw that the two infantry guards stationed there had switched off with two new guards. He nodded as he went in through the gate, and headed towards the main plaza to turn in the materials for his quest.

Eaven was standing tall and strong at the front desk, as if she was an immobile statue that belonged behind the counter desk. Axel went up and brought out the pelts from his inventory bag,

"I'd like to turn in these pelts for the rewards."

"Please wait a moment!" exclaimed Eaven as she took the pelts and counted them carefully.

"1 pelts, 2 pelts, 3, 4 pelts! I've received 4 brown fox pelts in total! Since there is an extra pelt included, you will get an additional 100 gold for your hard earned efforts!"

Axel almost jumped with elation when he heard this. If it was anything, he was in dire need of gold to fund his leveling as well as acquiring new equipment.

"Now place your hand on the Elemental Orb to assess your adventurer rank progress." asked Eaven.

In a single motion, Axel put his bloody paws on the orb and a faint green glow shined out.

"Congratulations! You have advanced to Level 3 and bronze 2-Star rank! Just a few more quests and you'll be able to level and rank up accordingly." Eaven gleefully said.

Axel was bit surprised by the result. He had fought that many brown foxes and it only brought up up a meager 2 levels. He sighed and then asked,

"Do you know how many more Star ranks until I can move up to the next adventurer rank?"

"You will need to reach bronze 10-Star rank in order to rank up to Iron rank, which is the minamum requirement to enter low level dungeons, which I recommend that you always do in a party of more than 3 people." replied Eaven.

"Thanks for the tip!" said Axel as he collected the gold reward and headed off into the main plaza.

The brightness in the sky seemed to dim ever so slightly as night fell upon Dunbarton. Then Axel heard a loud grumbling noise. He looked down to see his flat belly, which had digested the stale loaf of bread that came along with his wooden stick and beginner overalls.

"Time to grab some grub for supper!" he yelled. Now that he had finally made some gold, he was able to buy food to sustain his hunger.

Axel quickly ran towards the the food stall in the main plaza which was opened by Glenis, a middle-aged woman in a traditional long dress.

Sensing that a new customer had arrived, she yelled,

"Welcome to our small stall! Please take a look at any food that you may need!"

Eyeing the stalls that contained bread, bacon, rice, and cheese, he decided to take 2 loafs of bread for 50 gold each as it was the cheapest supper that he could afford for the time being. He passed 100 gold to Glenis and went his way back to the Church.

Axel quickly wolfed down one loaf of bread on the way and felt a small sense of sastifacation.

"Wow, I must have been starving after fighting those brown foxes." he thought.

When he entered the Church, he went straight onto the church bench and fell asleep. It had indeed been a long day and he didn't even bother to wipe off the blood off his hands and arms.

...

The morning bell sounded right on time and woke Axel up with a startle. This time, he didn't have a weird dream like getting completely overpowered by that Dark Knight in the Shadow Realm. He sniffed and suddenly wished that he had all his godly stats and equipment in his possessions as he came over to this world.

Axel went about his usual routine, arriving at the request board to see any jobs that he could take on. Upon glancing through, he saw a rather difficult request that required a minamum of bronze 2-Star rank:

"Defeat 1 Gray Wolf and collect its pelt. Location: The grasslands in Tir Chonaill. Reward: 600 gold."

Although it was only 1 Gray Wolf, the beast was several folds stronger than a brown fox or even the white spider. It could use basic combat skills such as 'Smash', 'Counterattack', and 'Defense'.

All of these skills could prove to be fatal if one did not tactifully fight. 'Smash' was a condensed strength attack that could one hit KO any normal human if one was unguarded. Even the 'Defense' skill could not block 'Smash'. The only way to block a smash was to use 'Counterattack' which would reflect the damage dealt to the existing target.

Another way to deal with 'Smash' was to time the moment before a 'Smash' could be dealt and hit the other party with a normal attack to stop the 'Smash' skill from being executed.

With a hint of bravado, he took off the request from the board and headed towards the Dunbarton Moongate. Those similar ranked Bronze adventurers who saw Axel storm off in that direction thought he must be crazy to challenge a Gray Wolf at his level. Even most other Level 10 adventurers would hestitate to fight a Gray Wolf, much less a Level 3 adventurer like Axel.

By the time Axel reached the Dunbarton Moongate, he had just remembered that this Mabinogi world went by the old system, where the Moongate only operated during night time.

"Oh well, how about I finish up that other request to collect cobwebs while I wait for the night time to come." Axel pondered.

He certainly did not want to walk on foot from Dunbarton to Tir Chonaill. Considering that it took 20 minutes to walk from the main plaza to the Dunbarton Moongate, the time it would take to travel between two towns would be astronomically high.

Once again, Axel went to the nearby plains and hid behind the tall grass. He saw a group of White Spiders spinning cobwebs in one place. As if a devil had taken over his mind, he charged forward in a boxing stance and did a low sweeping kick.

"Spoolsh!" The wide ranged kick managed to knock off 2 of the 8 legs of the spider. The arachnid growled furiously as it clumsily crawled over to attack the human before him.

Unfortunately, with only 6 of its 8 legs functional, it lagged behind in speed and Axel was able to kill it with a strong jab to its seemingly soft shell. Green juices splurted out of the fresh corpse, which almost made Axel vomit out the bread he had consumed last night.

"Aaaaaccckkk!!!!" Axel trembled as he tried to get the bug juices off his shirt.

"Ugh, what a waste of energy to kill these." Axel thought as spider corpses would not profit him in any way. He decided to just continue staying in the grasses to collect cobwebs until night arrived in time for him to warp to Tir Chonaill using the Moongate.

1