Chapter 7: The Three Heroes
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The growling of the black wolf minion seemed to close in on Axel, spelling the doom upon him. His breathing was so erratic that the lungs were so wet on the inside that he almost suffocated. He had been running for over 3 minutes at a rate of 30 miles per hour. This was faster than any world ranked 100 meter sprinter back on earth, and he had been pushing himself past his human limits. He knew that his stamina would not last a few more seconds, and he was prepared to be defeated in battle if the worst scenario came. This was a pack of black wolves, and each of them individually could overpower him like stepping on an ant.

As he raced near to the spot where Deian had tended his sheep, he finally stopped and took a defensive stance with his wooden club. Axel was extremely nervous, and felt like acid was churning in his stomach. What came next was quite surprising. The black wolves stopped after he stopped running as well. All they did was stare at him closely and circle him, as if waiting an order from the Giant Black Wolf.

Seeing that it was not a good idea to just stay there motionless, Axel took up his arms and swung the wooden club at the closest black wolf beside him. Of course, the evasion speed of the black wolf was astonishing, and only an afterimage of it moving could be seen. Immediately, the black wolf that had been attacked, jumped up towards Axel's face and Axel responded accordingly by letting the bite sink into the wooden club.

The bite had struck at the last of the lifeline of the wooden club, and seeing this made Axel desperate about the situation. Axel could not shake off the wolf's teeth, and his only choice was to wait for the borrowed weapon to be shredded to pieces after.

Just as the wooden club started to show cracks in the top part of the wood, Axel tried to pushed the black wolf back, as if he had entered into a wrestling match. Obviously, Axel was not on par with the wolf's combat strength and was slowly getting push backed himself.

Right before Axel was about to fall on his knees, a thin gray vapor appeared in the air and headed towards his direction.

"Sssshhhhiiiiiiii!!!!"

The air pressure sound seemed like a propane tank leaking gas. Except Axel knew that this was not Earth. As if he knew the lethality of the unknown vapor, he quickly discarded the wooden club and ran as if his depended on it in the opposite direction of where the gray smoke was heading.

"DOOOOOONNNNNNNMMMMM!!!!!"

An explosion comparable to a grenade wiped the entire field where the black wolves had been. It was so loud that Axel who was running back almost went deaf as his eardrums slightly ripped.

When the smoke from the explosion cleared, there were dozens of piles of black wolf corpses, and all of the sudden the pasture had become an eerie graveyard. Axel knew immediately what the gray vapor was when he had seen and heard it. This was a medium tier magic spell in Mabinogi, Fireball. The fire spell consisted of gathering large amounts of mana from within, and storing it into a flame ball like shape. When the magic caster released the fireball, it was equivalent to releasing a cannonball, and defeated large numbers of monsters in the radius of 800 meters. The caster could release the spell as far away as 2000 meters.

Axel was still running away for a few minutes until he saw the magic caster. It was a pink-haired girl with twin tails hair, and wore a black magic robe that covered her entire body. In her hand was the most basic fire wand, which was required to cast fire type spells. As Axel stopped a few steps before her, she asked,

"Are you okay, little newbie?"

"I'm fine, you really saved my a*s out there." Axel gasped.

He was so exhausted from blocking the attack from the one black wolf and on top of running away suddenly he feel on his knees and looked up once again.

"Weird, how can a newbie like you know when to run away when a rare spell like Fireball is being fired?" questioned the mage girl.

Axel averted his eyes away and thought, "Is it that rare in this world to use magic? I'd better keep my knowledge of the previous Mabinogi a secret for the time being."

"I don't know, I was just really at my limits from the fight with the wolves, and kind of ran off at the last second. I guess I was lucky not to be hit by such a powerful magic attack. Forgot to say my name! I'm Axel, and um, may I ask what your name is?"

"I'm Isabel, but you can call me Bel for short! Let's get out of here before the Field Boss comes to chase us down!" said Bel.

Right when Axel got up, he saw two other people behind Bel. He had been so focused on running that he failed to see the other people besides the mage girl in front of him. On one side was a young knight donned in silver plate armor with medium brown hair and a stern look about him. On the other side, was a slightly older man, with a heavy goatee with short black hair and covered in leather armor and a bow behind his back.

"Oh, these are my party members, Max and Kaiser, Max is the warrior in our party while Kasier is our archer." Bel responded when she saw the confusion in Axel's eyes.

Axel nodded and they went their way back to Tir Chonaill. Max and Kaiser lent their shoulder to Axel the whole way as he was in no condition to walk anymore.

...

Back at Tir Chonaill, the four of them headed to the healer's house in the north part of town. As they walked past the bridge that was between another segment of the river, they reached a cemetery. The entire place had a bit more than a few dozen tombstones, possibly the deceased of the townspeople's family members or ancestors. After transversing through the cemetery and found a small cottage ahead, they quickened their pace and opened the door suddenly and yelled,

"Ms. Dilys, we have a gravely wounded newbie here!" Bel shouted.

Soon after, a slim and beautiful woman in her 30s appeared from the curtains in her clinic. Her short round hair and pristine skin made Axel feel a sense of comfort after a long day at the pastures. Max and Kaiser slowly led Axel onto one of the beds in the clinic and stepped away.

As Dilys the healer slowly examined Axel's wounds she said,

"You have several strained tendons in your legs and arms. I will bandage parts that are bleeding, and concoct a low-grade healing potion to help you slowly recover."

As Axel heard those soothing words, he finally couldn't keep his consciousness in check and drifted off in a deep slumber.

1