Part 7 – Equilibrium
251 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
Part 7 - Equilibrium 
 
 
####
 
 
 
Leaving Candace to her...herself, we made our way around to the main area which usually contained a sizable, elevated stage. A dozen laptops were connected to a fountain of cables. An edited video of some brightly-colored team competition with guns and lasers played on all the screens.
 
With Lina's name-tag, we managed a booth close to the action. Our server told us, "The owner apologizes for how you both were treated when you arrived and you can order anything off the main drink and main appetizer menu on your tablet over there till closing tonight."
 
She held her device against the tablet and entered a quick code to make that so. The selection was limited but eh, free stuff. We both hadn't eaten since the small pizza we split for lunch but, while I was eyeing the shrimp cocktail and a sweet lime margarita, Lina gazed at the competition area.
 
"Would you like anything to eat, Lina?"
 
She looked back as I held up the tablet for her. Scrolling along, she remarked, "Wanna keep my hands not-sticky, so stew and salad for now. You should get bangers." She smirked.
 
Sending the order through, I answered, "I do have a sausage limit." I was still gonna get them though, just later. Lina giggled and looked back at the game area.
 
The only girls I could see were ones with the Salty Lemon logo on their tops. No wait, long dirty-blond hair over on the right. Oh, that was a guy too. But, damn, I needed whatever salon he went to. Aside from the laptops, there were colorful devices set nearby and a bunch of wireless controllers. 
 
I watched Lina with her half-gloved hands up near her face. Her smile beamed through them. With a smirk, I asked, "So, having fun now?"
 
She giggled again and said, "I had no idea there was anything like this in Frostwell. Maybe over near Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor, where there are conventions, but not our area. And yeah! This is awesome!" I could see her legs wiggling under the table like she was swimming in water.  
 
With a deep breath, she declared, "I don't even mind the trouble we had getting in. You were awesome. And I was like a moment away from just declaring I was an Allwetter. Forget that it was wrong. Forget what people might say. Wear it with pride. I was but the future will be different." I smiled, though my heart gave a dull ache.
 
When our food arrived, Lina ate carefully and with lots of napkins as she picked out the most solid parts of her stew and the driest parts of her salad. I enjoyed the fresh tingle of my drink paired with a "shrimp" almost the size of my hand. 
 
The music from the competition area changed. Over speakers, they announced, "Competitors for the Salty Lemon's Gaming Admiral...get prepared to battle. Teams of six versus six for the first event. Teams will be random. May the winds of fortune be at your sails!" Lina hopped in place and clapped her hands. I downed the rest of my margarita and thought about my second drink. The Red Mutiny with rum, vermouth, bitters, and cherry sounded nice. 
 
"R! If your last name starts with R, as in riggings, come on and prepare to be the first challengers to the Admiralty!" Lina clapped with the others around as a few people came up. A guy with a really dense, dark beard behind thin glasses and a baseball cap. He flexed and stuck out his tongue for a group off to our left. Soon, he was joined by the guy with long hair I thought was a girl. Damn, amazing hair and a decent ass too. And then...an Amish? 
 
Pretty-clearly Amish. Beard like the first guy but lighter. Those clothes were obvious though. Homemade look, light colors, and slacks with suspenders. He had an old-fashioned hat in his hands. You saw a lot of Amish around town with smartphones. A lady in a bonnet off to the right clapped for him. 
 
The last fellow to come up looked a little like Greg. Same flop of hair I missed so bad. Same little bit of scruff. Only he seemed more doughy than beefy. 
 
Lina cupped her hands around her mouth and waited for the next call. 
 
"H! If your last name starts with an H, as in helm, get your landlubber behind over here and take up the challenge of the Admiralty!" Did they really have a different bit themed for each letter? Lina sunk her hands deeper around her mouth but still put in a few hearty claps.
 
This time, first up was a big guy with his eyes down and his hands clasped behind him. He was maybe in his 40s with silver, stringy hair around his face. He could use a hairpin too. The next one had no use for them. Virtually bald with just a light fuzz. Looked like some soccer player as he pumped his fists. He had a sport shirt on with a number and a name that meant nothing to me.
 
Next guy was jacked. You could see his pecs through his shirt and the veins on his forearms. He could probably bench the two of us without breaking a sweat. His legs were etched into his jeans. Lina paid attention to him too. On top of all that was his dense, handlebar mustache. 
 
He was followed by the first girl I'd seen. Her top was game-themed like Lina's. It showed a vaguely-familiar critter with a flower on its back in a field of tall grass. She had short brown hair which looked recently-trimmed. And lastly, the youngest guy of the group so far. He seemed in his teens. Dark, short hair was pasted against his face by a glimmering sheen of sweat. And he'd just stepped into the lights.
 
No more came up. Six on six and they already had nine. 
 
Lina attempted to distract herself with a bit more salad but just wound up stirring it. I was about to say something when the announcer spoke again.
 
"O! If your last name starts with O, then come ON BOARD with the rest of your crew and stand ready to meet the ultimate challenge!"
 
He didn't even need to finish his whole statement. Lina was up and out. She held onto a toothy, eager smile and waved her half-covered hands above her head at me. Fucking yeah! She was up and she was gonna play!
 
I cheered and clapped and generally wore myself out just a few seconds in. Two other guys came up too. Some black guy almost as short as Lina with a close-cropped afro and another guy with light-brown hair in a mop and a stringy body like John's. Smaller mop, less wet hobo though.
 
But, whatever, Lina was up! Wooo! Hell yea! Down my new drink!
 
The announcer explained the rules. Best players had an overall score for prizes. Scored on stuff in the game like kills, assists, objectives. I would just watch Lina to make sure she stayed happy.
 
They gave her and everyone else white-and-red headphones. Then, they were seated at the laptops. Lina sat about in the middle between mop guy and handlebar. Baseball cap was talking a lot. Team stuff? Lina nodded and looked relaxed. On the near end was the small black kid with Amish guy on the other side.
 
Some more stuff from the announcer about cycling games and fighting matches. Lina told me all that before. I ordered up something called the "Stormy Night" and the "Crusty Dog".
 
The game looked interesting, but I had no idea what I was watching. Lina picked a blond, angel/robot-looking lady as her character. 
 
Finally, the competition began. I whooped it up for her. I sat on the edge and clapped for whatever. Music with a nice beat filled the air. Lina had her eyes locked on the screen and a grin on her face. 
 
Baseball dude was barking orders and so was the Amish. Lina's character had a stick that glowed yellow and blue, but it was also a gun or...I had no idea. But she was quick. And she just had a laptop keyboard and a mouse. It went over my head right there how to do all that stuff with a keyboard. She was kicking butt or healing butt or both.
 
With the Stormy, my mind wasn't as clear on everything as before but they were playing in a factory. Sci-fi factory. Pastel colors. Kinda pretty. 
 
"Go, Lina!" 
 
The overhead screens kept switching but I was happy whenever Lina was up. One was for the running score. Lina was in the middle but still had a big number. And she flew! That was so cool. More shooting. A lot of jumping. I just cheered and tried to figure out what made my dog crusty. Oh, garlic-and-cheese-crusted bun. I liked dogs in buns. Nice, hot meat. 
 
Oh! A big score flashed on the screen. Go, Lina! She was hunched close to the laptop now. I'd never really seen her like this before. Well, we played a game but she was teaching me and, with the cards, she was distracted because I pulled out my dicks. 
 
The black guy was so stoic. Hard to see the other side of the table but I heard the other girl say something. Mustache was kicking ashe...hehe. It was sweaty. No, I was sweaty.
 
High five between Mop and Lina. Aww, I wanted a high-five from Lina. From Greg too. More than five. Greg was much more than five. Mmm, I could use a pickle too. Hehe, use it... 
 
Wow. This Storm was turbulent to finish. I felt more with it last Friday. Those drinks had more water. Beer. I needed an ale or a beer. And a glass of water too. No. Just the beer. 
 
Lina's screen was all glowy. Right on! Big claps! She saw me. Yeah, you get that other team of robots, ghosts, and apes! Mop was getting close, leaning right next to Lina. I couldn't hear him. Nooo...don't get in on my man. She's...he's just temporarily t-temporarily inde-ind...shortly an innie.. yeah.
 
Mopper fucker. Keep that cleaning utensil away. Okay, I was starting to get back to myself. I hit those drinks hard and they hit me. Definitely beer. Okay. Tablet. Very slippery tablet. 
 
Drinks. I need more. More but less in more. Less that, more other so I don't pass out. Geez, they don't water them down here. Yeah. That's why I come. But very pricey. Their specialties were like the same as doubles at any other place...oh. Oh. I'd had three doubles.
 
Crap! Something loud happened. Big tank? That wasn't Lina. Big thing though. Better clap cause her side was happy. Go, girl! Wooo. 
 
I needed fish. No. Fuck fish. Not literally. Bread, I needed bread. Yeah. Okay, play nice little tablet. No flopping around. Ordered for the longboat of beer and a mug of bread. I can do things. 
 
Lina was doing so much. Her light stick was all over. But don't lean over on my man, Moppy. Hmm...if I bet him to beat Lina and he loses, he can be a girl too. Hehe. And Lina gets a playmate without an active joystick. But, if Lina wins, she can bet she becomes both Lina and Greg. Then they split in two, break physics mass laws, and I have my bestie and my man. 
 
Can you take that, fuckers? Take that bet. Lina wants to BE. She can live. Other Lina gets the confident twin sister to help her be stronger and a player-two who understands her totally.
 
But you fuckers don't do anything worth goddamn real shit. You just gudking...fucking make dumb bets happen that troll people and take my man away and doom my friends and fuck me over. Pub guy scrammed...scammed you, didn't he? Made more of a little bonus and fucked you hard. That's why bets don't really do much. Teasing us with real magic but just enough to excite. No finish, ya limp dicks.
 
"Ma'am, are you alright? Here's your order."
 
Oh god, how long had I been muttering? No one looking at me but the server. I made sure the beer wasn't a double beer. The taste of vomit wasn't a good taste. He got me a water and that longboat too. Good work.
 
Oh! A match won. Not Lina's group but she was really high overall. Best of three? Cheering again! Aww, she smiled then raised an eyebrow. Sipping the beer. Take it easy. 
 
She was still the angel but the others switched. One a robot and a smoke gunslinger. Not like I can even see their faces. Why am I bleeding on my arm? Oh crap. I scratched something too hard. It was the tablet. Machines rising against us! Gotta go scare Deb.
 
Ugh, bitter swallow. Ok, dab a napkin in the water and clean up. I didn't want to miss Lina winning. Mop was still horning my man. 
 
Last strike. You're gonna get it. First, gonna cheer, then imma gonna make you one less. The betdicks can take away a man, so can I. I bet I can do it. Wanna take that?
 
Ok, watch. Oooh, look at that. Moppy. Oh poor, Mop. Your mop is all sleek like brownie on the other side. You two can share hair care. Bands of tans and brown like a wet-dry mop. Your wide smile is with swollen, red lips. You're the smaller friend now. Don't worry your prettied-up lil head, your new game-friend is gonna show you dicks that'll make you not pine for adapters on your new buttons but a long, hard joystick sliding in. You're not gonna mop about it, hehe.
 
Cheers on this side. They approve. Siiiiip. This tastes like ass and water. Siiip. Still does. Siiip...
 
"Go, Lina! Kick butt!"
 
Poor Mop with her slight cleavage and crossed legs. She straightened up and played. Not by my man. Got one. 
 
Scruff barked at the group. You should be a bitch. You get to be really small, like a chiiiwhohaaawa. All the scruff goes to your locks. Like a dome, dark and sleek around your head. Classy, unlike you. It tickles your shoulders. Voice still firm but soft. A girl who knows she can command without yelling around. Not an extra hair anywhere.
 
Small up top and skinny down there. You wear NASA panties. And birds on your sleeveless top with a dent of a bust and a flappy skirt.
 
So no more loudy. No more leaner. But can't do it to Mustache. Those fucking muscles. What Adonis did he have to kill to get those? Okay. Flip it. Amazon.
 
Pushing you to six and a half plus heels. More woman. Back muscles that can still rip logs. Mouth muscles that can make any man melt, but not my man. Legs that can cradle or crush. A black velvet dress that snakes across your figure. A dip to show your gentle cleavage and powerful chest. 
 
Nearly through. Little guy up front, you're stuck in with the Petites. Big, girly afro. Lips to make your sisters jealous. Hips to dance out the team win. And a smile to compliment my Lina.
 
And Amish. You can keep the style, but your lady friend may not smile. Sorry, girl, I feel that loss too. Your new bonnet-bud can raise a barn too with her farm-worn arms and sit softly. God, I half-assed that one. We good though? 
 
I blinked. They clearly didn't take my bet of men for my man and my girl for keeps. I could do it myself. Just gotta let my mind powers grow in. That'll really freak out Deb. I knoooow what you're thinking, Debraaaa!
 
Wahh what? Wooo! They got one! Lina in second! You go! You got this! You heal and kill then heal and rekill the shit out of them! Oh crap, people looked my way. I must've said a lotta...too much. Quietly kiss my beer some more.
 
Ooooh, they're getting up. "Round one is done! Our top points-getter is...Randall Hunter! In second...Lina Owlswatter! In third...Justin Olson! Great job, everyone! Round two begins next!"
 
Lina stood up and made her way back to the table. I waggled my arms and whooped. She settled down on the other bench and smiled at me. "Thanks for the cheers! I actually heard you through my headphones." She snickered and I blanched a little. 
 
How much of what was in my head had been said aloud? Thankfully, not everything. At least as far as Lina admitted. I'd cheered some really random stuff though. As that last heavy drink was starting to clear with my beer, the room felt closer to normal.
 
Quietly, I apologized and she waved a hand at me. "No way! You were the reason I kept going as hard as I could. They recently made the character I used, one that supports others, less powerful but I was just as strong as all those past plays because you were MY support." God, I could hug her right there.
 
She nibbled at her now-cold stew as Moppy ambled over towards our booth. He offered a raised hand and a quick, "Hey!"
 
Lina turned, dabbed her mouth, and answered, "Oh, hey! Did you wanna talk strategy for the next game?"
 
He chuckled. "No need. That would be Decay Rate. That's only semi-cooperative. If they get to it. You play a great Mercy. Is she your main?"
 
With a shrug, Lina offered, "I like to try everyone. I dunno if I have a true main but I use her quite a bit." I didn't really follow but I listened the best I could as Mop talked about his preferences. Lina nodded politely but said just a little. 
 
At this point, he finally said, "Justin Olson. That's me. If you ever wanna match up online...for a match. Meet up for one, I mean. Then we could exchange account names ...and stuff like that."
 
I narrowed my eyes. You were supposed to be a pretty girl with no interest in my currently-indisposed man. Lina gestured to her name-tag and smiled pleasantly. "Just that there."
 
He repeated and entered it into his phone before noting, "That's a cool last name, like something from a fantasy book. Lina of the Owlswatters, high priestess of the arcane arts."
 
So fucking obvious. Lina giggled and said, "I dunno. It's just me. I live and work around books, not in them." 
 
With his hands slipping into his pockets, he dug a little deeper. She revealed she did IT at the library. This was complicating things. I could've chimed in that she had a twin sister but I was not in the clever phase of being drunk. I was probably closer to the bitchy phase of it where I'd tell him to go "main" some other girl. But not yet.
 
Lina introduced me as "my best friend" and I did a little finger wave to Justin. He showed only the faintest interest in me before returning to Lina. 
 
"So, this is my first time coming down from Mitchellville with my buddy, Randall. This place is wild. I've never seen an event like this. They have like fifty more people for just one game. Getting through three of them and then two-player fighting matches is going to be impossible. Betcha it's gonna end in a raffle." He crept closer to the cushion on Lina's side.  
 
Pouting, Lina let out a bummed whimper. "Oh no. I can see it though. Round two is just starting and the first one took more than thirty minutes. Maybe...I mean Kart goes much faster and Decay Rate can be over in just a minute or two, depending on the gravity wells."
 
Mop pointed to the seat and asked, "You mind if I sit a sec?"
 
Yes. "Not at all. Please." Lina chuckled and scooted her salad and remaining stew off to the side. 
 
So, there he was. Sitting with that big...grinny grin that cut deep into his mouth with bloating around his teeth and a jutting chin. Siiiip. I needed to go back to the stronger shit.
 
Lina used the tablet and Justin chimed in, "I'd skip the stuff here. It's too expensive."
 
"We have a...well, it's free for this table tonight because we had trouble getting in."
 
He noted the pubs nearer him in whatever piece of shit town he said he was from. Siiip. Right eye twitching again. 
 
Persisting, he added, "I'm a local, small-business entrepreneur. Owner, operator, and shareholder of The Game Farm. We have so much stuff. You should come up and see it. I can get you ten percent off anything." He even had a business card at the ready.
 
Lina just said, "Cool..." as she cleared her throat. She looked over at me.
 
With a smile, she said, "I should use the gulls' room. Be right back." He waited till she was right next to him to scoot his ass out of the way and stand up. When it was just him and me alone, I set my hands on the table and declared, "Take a seat, Justin."
 
He looked at me and said, "Nah, I'm good. I'll just wai..."
 
"Take. A. Seat. Or I will flip you upside-down and use your head as a goddamn push-broom."
 
He sat and answered, "Listen, I mean no offense. I just think your friend is cool. And you obviously have had a few drinks in you."
 
"Six drinks. I have had six, hard drinks and a shitty beer and I am a force to be reckoned with stone sober. Imagine what might happen with my restraint dialed down."
 
He looked away and said, "Just relax. I'm a nice guy. I just want to get to know Lina. It's a long night and it will be a while till round one comes up again."
 
"Oh, fuck off. 'Nice guy'? Who the fuck says that? Go buy a fedora for that fucking mop and get out of here. Lina is here to play games and kick ass."
 
He tapped on the table. "Well, I'm a top-ranked player. And I'm sure I could show her a thing or two. You're just a drunk bitch. How about you fuck off and leave Lina to decide how her night goes?"
 
I really wanted to crush his junk with my shoe, but I was lucid enough to know that would be assault. "Yeah, I'm a drunk bitch but you're sober and still an asshole."
 
He sighed through his nose and shook his head. "I pity you. You poor, vain thing. Bet you have to control every aspect of her life. Some friend."
 
Okay, I was definitely gonna smash his balls. Damn the consequences.
 
Before I could respond, Lina returned with a blank expression. Justin smiled at her and said, "Oh, hey. We were just chatting about your amazing performance. Definitely top-tier."
 
"Leave, Justin. Right now." Her face turned stern.
 
He cleared his throat and asked, "Something wrong?" 
 
"I didn't actually go to the gulls. I've been standing about five feet over since I left. Nice couple in that booth."
 
Justin mouthed a swear to himself and rapped the table. "Well, I'm a competitor. All kinds of stuff gets said. It doesn't mean anything."
 
Pressing her hands to her hips, Lina said sharply, "Go now. Or I will ask the owner to remove you."
 
Justin scoffed, "Woah. No need to be like that. Besides, I'm cool with the owner so...I don't think so. And..."
 
"Justie? Babe? The fuck are you.... What the fuck are you fucking doing with these goddamn cunts!?" A familiar voice. Becky, with fire in her eyes and her claws out. I almost felt sorry for Justin as Becky struck, dragging him from the table and, presumably, back to the pits of Hell. He didn't even get a word out. But I gave him one last finger wave.
 
Lina just marveled and said, "Well...uhh...oh, I should go pee for real now." She slipped off her gloves and hustled away. Siiip. My eye stopped twitching.
 
Justin was right about one thing; three games was too ambitious. Mario Kart got moved to the end of the night at 1 AM. The round two people were just finishing their second match when Lina returned.
 
I took a deep breath and asked, "You okay?"
 
Lina nodded, sliding her gloves back on. "Yeah. I just wanna play games. Fun games. Hopefully they can get the two-player fighting matches going. Also, I kinda want a drink. Any suggestions?" She smiled gently.
 
One above all, "Order a half serving." 
 
She wound up with a drink called "Sandy Shore" with triple sec, peach schnapps, vodka, orange juice, and coconut juice. Her expression when taking a sip was adorable as she said, "Wow. Okay, plenty for now. I need to be lucid if I want to keep playing." 
 
We finished off my longboat as I kept sipping my beer. Now for some bangers. Dark sausages, no mash. More like little meaty pinkies than the show-stopping sausages of some meals. Still plenty juicy. Lina nibbled at one on a fork. 
 
The numbing-effect of the drinks was wearing off. I felt the stiffness in my feet of all those hours at the OWL. A lower-back throb perched way down near my butt and my right wrist felt like something had taken a chunk out of it. But my eye wasn't throbbing.
 
Lina still looked perky. She snuck the occasional peek at the third group starting their game. Behind the main table, some of those other electronics and controllers were getting organized. No announcement though.
 
If it were just me, I would've been satiated by that epic first round. Kicked some ass, took down a two-timer, and ate some free food. Time to head on back and sleep for work on Thursday.
 
But Lina. She had been over the moon for this since I told her. She was clearly counting the minutes to this time. She had been outwardly accepting of spectator status with Becky's bitch move but, inside, I could tell it was like cancelling Christmas. 
 
Clearly, my situation called for more alcohol to make it through. A Blue Lagoon could do the trick. But no downing it. Careful numbing. For a full release of energetic Super-Baba and my special and ultimate moves.
 
"Babs? Are you okay?"
 
Somehow, I had my cheek pressed to the table with my eyes shut. Strangest thing. I coughed slightly and told her, "Snap nap. Just a quickie to get my second wind. Did I order my Blue Lagoon?"
 
She shook her head. Ah, the sneaky tablet had slipped away from me. Well, I was gonna make sure I got it this time. Maybe a coffee too. Coffee saves everything. Coffee and alcohol.
 
As I ordered, Lina set her hands on mine. "I can take you home. You don't have to stay. It's clear they won't be on to the next thing for at least maybe an hour and a half, so there's time. I can go with you and get back."
 
Sure, it was a nice pub and not some cheap dive but there were Becky and Justin still around and who knew what else lurking. And then her heading back alone? No way!
 
I slipped out from under her hands. "I'll be fine. You worked hard to get to this night. This is your night. And my job is to cheer you on. I'm not quitting until you're finished."
 
She flashed a quick, friendly smile and softly answered, "Okay. But it looks like a lot of downtime yet."
 
As I confirmed my order, I proposed to her, "Well, tell me about your most exciting matches you can remember and I'll cheer those to get ready for the next one."
 
She sat up. "Ooooh! I have lots of stories! But it might get kinda complicated."
 
Tapping my chin, I resolved, "Well, in that case, just tell them the way it felt."
 
She beamed. "Alright!"
 
----
 
"Everyone bottlenecked at the end of the line to halt the devastating cargo...a weapon bound for its final destination. We couldn't let it get through. I boosted everyone. I held the enemy off by sneaking through a corridor. But there were so many of them and they just kept coming. One after another, my friends fell. The strong, the fleet, and the other protectors. It was just me, all alone. But I had a chance to do what I do best: heal."
 
She gestured all around the table and spoke firmly above the game being played. She complemented it while it provided the background mood. Even the current match evoked the one she was recounting for me. 
 
"With a wave of my hand, I restored my allies, my friends. My light spread across the map from a hallway of darkness. But we were still out-matched and besieged. We pushed, again and again, to keep the weapon safe from their hands. My life and light was for others, to give them strength, to give them hope that this was not the end. We only needed to hold on. Just a little time to persevere in the darkness with the candle of hope. But the enemy was a gale. I had to hold my light close, near my heart, pushing past safety. I fought with everything I had inside. I had to live. I had to survive for the others. They may fall but they will rise again. What is lost is never lost forever. It is remembered. It is loved. It endures no matter what challenges, no matter what hopelessness. Always fight on. Never surrender to a dark fate. Fight on with certainty of victory!"
 
She took a careful breath and finished, "And so the seconds ticked off. Though the dangers held us to the ledge, we did not fall. Though the challenges were many, we did not waver. Though the tears were ready, we cried them in joy. We held the line and we won!"
 
This, her third recounting of a match, was easily the most triumphant so far. She was really getting into it. I pumped my fists and cheered as she took a breather. I sipped between my Blue Lagoon, a cup of coffee, and the wretched remains of my beer as I mused aloud, "Have you ever read for the kids at the library? I think you'd be good at it. Very dramatic."
 
Eyebrows raised, she adjusted her golden hairpin, fanned the collar of her top, and worked on tying her windbreaker around her waist. "I was asked. Once or twice, when the normal readers had strep and a thrashed throat. I had the opportunity. But I said I was too busy updating something. So, they found someone else. I wonder...if I had stepped out of my own little quiet darkness, would more of my life feel like this past week has felt? I dunno, but I intend to keep going."
 
Fuck me. It hurt to know. Almost as much as it hurt to say. An accidental Lina with a fleeting existence. Why did you have to be so amazing? No, don't dwell on the darkness. She still held onto the light for however many minutes she had left.
 
My nightmares of what came next were inconsequential. Greg was amazing too. I just hoped he didn't cry when he awoke on the day this was over. He loved Lina so much. But we'll be able to lavish the perfect sort of joy on the unsuspecting first one. 
 
Not that I was giving up on this Lina yet. The coffee was working. Wooo! I had at least three more hours and a marathon in me!
 
"Babs? You're snuggling the table again. But I get to play another game!"
 
Jerk up and look around. Seize that adrenaline! "Hell yea! You are! Go, girl! Go, Lina! Hooot hooot! Owl for the win!"
 
She smiled and giggled as she made her way across the room. Oh wow, they finally set up the kiosk things and it was only...crap, it was that late? Well, my phone was a known source of evil and a liar, but it felt that late. Oof, my shoulders. But I could loosen them by raising them for Lina and cheering!
 
I could do this. I cheered for longer stretches than this in high school! I was also...nearly a third younger. But that didn't matter. What mattered was Lina was playing. One-on-one with a controller and a screen, like we played the other night. It looked a little like the fighter she put on my phone. Prettier but about the same.
 
Lina's opponent was the gray-haired guy. He still had his head down. Nothing personal but I hope she beats your ass to bloody piles! No wait, that was gross. Beats you dizzy with cuckoos and crying for your pillow! 
 
She approached him with an extended handshake. He didn't take it but bowed his head and gestured towards the game. Odd fellow. Maybe he was a germaphobe? We sometimes had patients who desperately wanted to make sure every last thing was sanitized. Well, your body is forever swarming with germs and exposing yourself a little helps.
 
The other kiosks nearby were distracting but at least the overhead display of her fight was easy to see. Sips between all my stuff. Let's go Lina, let's go! Time to play hard and put on a show! Lina!...doesn't rhyme with bite but let's keep up the fight!
 
He was mashing down her bar. She seemed to be able to dodge but not fast enough. Already down to half. Turn him into some platinum blond lady! Nah, I wasn't the right sort of drunk to get into that again. 
 
First round against Lina. She chatted briefly with the guy as she flashed a smile. The second round, she held the bar from dropping for a good bit and launched a really cool-looking attack with whirlwinds. Ultimately, my cheers just led to a loss. 
 
With a little clap for her competitor, Lina said some quick words. Before she turned to leave though, the man offered his hand for a shake. She gingerly took it and he even gave her a smile. 
 
As she headed back, I clapped for Lina. "You'll get the next one!"
 
She smiled and shrugged. "No worries. It was fun. He plays that game every single day. I never stood a chance. He holds a couple of different records and has even done some streams for autism charities. Cool guy."
 
Lina eroded half her Sandy Shore in one gulp before realizing it. She held her mouth open like she'd swallowed a hot pepper and squinted with one eye like a pirate. After a sip from my water, she managed, "My gosh, the back of my throat almost feelth snum." She cleared it and shook her face.
 
I set her drink off to the side and asked if she wanted a regular pop. Still flexing her mouth, she sniffled and said, "Just some water. I have energy drinks in my bag but, at this hour, they'd just keep me up way too long into the morning."
 
It was the beginning of Thursday and I was definitely feeling it in my body. It was saying, "Hey? You know that thing we do where we sleep? I really think we should do that now." And I was still telling it, "FUCK OFF! Suck on this coffee and alcohol! My girl needs cheers through the rest of this!"
 
Fortunately, the fifth round of the first game was finally done. The setup for the second game seemed underway. It was the fast one, based on a popular series Lina mentioned. 
 
Home fries in cheese sounded nice but I had a stomach which wasn't ready to take more. I'd held my liquor though. I'd survived my liquor...was probably the better way of putting it.  
 
John hadn't managed that last week with Greg. Of course, Greg hadn't managed to resist a redhead. But we had one fun Friday night. This weekend would make up for it. No bet to cut short high-quality sex. 
 
Although, as I looked across the table at Lina adjusting her video game clothes and watching the area, I felt weird to think like that. My man. My girl. Salty, sexy dick. Sweet, gentle friend. A passionate, dedicated boss. A passionate, energetic upstart.
 
God, why did it all have to be so complicated? Why not just...I meet Lina and we realize we're meant to be friends and then she does all the same stuff. Only John gets off his ass and apologizes to her. And Greg and I never leave the bedroom all weekend. Why not that?
 
Oh well. A long sip of Blue Lagoon plus coffee would put it out of mind. 
 
Lina smirked. "Go easy. I don't wanna see you crash again." Her salad and stew were finally finished and taken away by a server.
 
With a wave, I assured her I was fine. Mostly.
 
The first call-ups for the second game started with K-E-C. To pass the time, I propped my chin up with my hand and asked, "Whatcha thinking?"
 
Lina bowed her head and smiled. "Hoping I haven't wrecked you for Thursday. I mean I've been up late before on a work night, but I can dose off in the library. What are you gonna do?"
 
"It's one night. I'll be fine. What about you? No sleeping in reception. And your scrubs are back at your place." 
 
Her expression tightened. "Oh. Well. It's one day. One thing Greg also taught me was a sufficiently-nice body spray can cover up clothes worn an extra day."
 
Aww, Greg didn't need to cover up any of that though.
 
With a deep breath, she brushed at her top and offered, "Or you could make Thursday casual and I could wear this for a little longer. Maybe we'll encounter more people than you and Candace who actually find it cool."
 
Well, I was the boss this week. I could do anything.
 
I could...I could...do uhh. Well, I could have Deb dress in a witch's outfit, but it was not stated in the contract-related dress-code. So, she could ignore me and file a formal complaint. But there was nothing against a short-term receptionist having a casual day.
 
I raised my highball glass. "Sure! Make it casual. Just for Thursday."
 
Lina added, "And things should go back to normal on Friday and I can finish off the week in scrubs."
 
I smothered my thoughts with a long but shallow sip.
 
Finally, Lina got called up. Second round. Much faster than the last game. Forget my drink! Cheer again! Stomp my feet. Shake my boobs! Gooo Lina!
 
Holy crap, I was getting achy all over though. Could be I hadn't used the gulls' all night. Could be nearly twenty hours conscious. Whatever it was, I refused to let my girl lose another match! Win win win! Fight fight fight! Do...whatever the heck the point to this game is!
 
Near as I could tell, it was a city with bubble weapons turning off gravity. Okay! You flip-off physics as hard as you can! 
 
Lina gave an easy grin. She moved fast. She clicked all over the place. I still had no idea what she was doing but her name was climbing out of the middle of the pack till, swiftly, she was the lone survivor!
 
I clapped so hard my palms stung but it was worth it. I went over to hug her when she got up. Her name in first with no Justin clinging to her ass!
 
Maybe it was the alcohol flooding my system, plus the stories she shared with me, but this moment felt huge. Like end-of-a-movie stuff where the crowd roars, emotional music plays, and everyone goes nuts. The victory is won! The bad guys are overcome!
 
However, I was pretty much the only person celebrating and Lina was just along for the ride. There were still three rounds left and the third game to finish. But, fuck that, she kicked butt!
 
I didn't mind the looks, but I took the party back to the table. Lina gave a slight blush but with a sense of joy and relief on her face. She said, her head dipped, "That map is sooo hard online. I got real lucky."
 
Holding her hands, I said, "That was incredible. I have no idea! You did great."
 
She chuckled with my reaction and downplayed, "I did good enough. I've seen people do better. Gravity well placements, distortion field strength, and where you get dropped. It's wild."
 
As I calmed down, she offered some background on the game. Spin-off, I knew. Based on a four-installment series with some shorter "episodes" in the middle. Alien superpowers with Earth caught in the middle. Time and gravity messed with. Rewriting history with unforeseen consequences.
 
Lina explained, "It had a lull between parts. If not for lost bets, who knows if it and other series by the game developer, Valve, would have ever been finished." 
 
Well, maybe there was some good to be found from bets. "Is that your favorite?"
 
Lina's eyes widened. "Favorite? Gosh, I can't pick one, game or series. My favorite is reserved for some future title probably. That said, I really love the one on my shirt. Portal 3. If I had to pick right now, then that's it. Easily the best game I can think of. It takes everything I loved from the ones before it and makes it bigger yet more intimate. I could gush about it all night."
 
And she kinda did. She told me snippets of the story, gesturing to the image on her shirt to help illustrate it. Open world, adventure, and puzzles. Blisteringly funny yet sharp melancholy. She added, "When I get the chance to stream it again, you should come over. I can show you my favorite parts."
 
I numbed myself a little with a smile and a long sip of my drink. "Sure thing!"
 
After we decided against the home fries, Lina leaned back and cracked her neck. Just a little while left till the last one: Mario Kart 8, some special edition. I cracked the sore parts of my bod, stretched my feet, and inquired, "So, that's your favorite. At least for right now. What was your first game?"
 
Lina held her eyes on me. She took a deep breath before offering, " It's...a...it's a long story and I dunno if I could tell it... except to say my first game made me fall in love with games ever after that." Her expression was tense and evasive. Shitty, drunk questions from Babs.
 
I quickly apologized and she was even quicker to correct, "Nonono...I just know I can't answer your question the way it deserves right now because there's so much on my mind and I have a touch of the spirits too. But soon, I promise."
 
In the meanwhile, she realized she had a phone with her and it had a camera. I'd forgotten that as well, but I preferred not to tempt fate and my heart for photos I actually wanted to keep to get tossed in the belly of my brimstone beast. She took a few quick snaps of the play area, the pub, and our table with me flashing a few smiles and goofy looks. She even took some selfies standing and sitting right next to me. 
 
She admitted, "It's a limited camera but I should be able to off-load them to my computer when I get back." Another complication but I held my smile, especially as they finally called her up for the last game. 
 
The race itself was flashy. The world shot rainbows all over the place. She flew around curves and tossed all manner of projectiles at everyone else. I just cheered, with the last bit of oomph I had, yelling her name from my raw throat and clapping my achy hands. When she crossed the final finish line in second, like she began the night, I met her with laughter and my arms wrapped around her.
 
My girl definitely kicked butt!
 
I polished off the last of my drink and, before I could warn her, so did she. Another wide mouth and a cough as she smiled and said, "Woooo!" 
 
So that was it. No more games to play. Some left to watch and the score to be counted.
 
Lina slipped her windbreaker back on and gathered her bag. I raised an eyebrow. She told me, "I'm good. I had fun. I played. You were here. And we made it to the end. And we didn't have to spend anything. That's really all I needed. Unless you want another drink or some more food?"
 
God, no. I was done. We got up from the booth and our server thanked us for coming. I left him a tip and my thanks. Lina snapped a few quick photos on the way out and asked another server when the next one might be. Before Thanksgiving but after the middle of November. She entered a quick note on her phone along with the number of The Salty Lemon.
 
Outside, it felt late, later than I was used to. The nearest cross-street was desolate aside from the occasional car puttering through. The music from inside trickled through the door. The parking lot was still cramped but no one was trying to leave. 
 
There was enough of a chill in the air that Lina's windbreaker looked nice, but I would be able to manage as I was all the way back. We walked beside each other. 
 
The woods loomed off to the left, swallowing up whatever light the twirly, amber lamps cast. Far off, a train whistle sounded. I gave a quick look around as we came to the first street corner. No speeding drunks in any direction. No scary movie cliches either (flickering lights, echoing footsteps, suspicious shadows, or dramatic music). 
 
Lina ducked under the same tree as before. It looked bigger later at night, like the darkness had fed it more than the sun did. It didn't try to reach out to grab my girl as we made our way back to my complex and my front door. 
 
After Lina had a pleasant, quick trip to the bathroom, I did nigh-unspeakable things to the toilet with everything I'd been holding back for the last few hours. I emerged with my lower-bits exhausted but my throat almost as happy as it was a week ago. A little heated milk made up the difference. 
 
Between sips from her cup, Lina asked, "Is it alright if I spend the night?"
 
She even needed to ask at this point? "Always. I can wash your clothes you have on for morning and you can borrow something of mine to sleep in."
 
"Aww. Thank you so much! I'm sorry I didn't even think about how late things would get and not have a change of clothes or a plan. I was...heh...just thinking about the games." She gently massaged the lip of her cup. 
 
I settled next to her on the couch. "Everything okay?"
 
She sipped her toasty milk and sighed. "Yeah. I was just thinking about what you asked. About my very first game. Only Greg and a few family really know that much about it." Another sip.
 
Interesting...
 
With a deep breath, she said, "The very first thing I can clearly remember in my life is sitting in a baby swing as my mother looms over me and says, 'You're going to die'. I didn't understand but I cried as she scowled at me. I felt hot with tears flowing down my cheeks and my diaper getting wet. I knew I was scared and I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what to do."
 
My early-morning tiredness dashed away as I sat up and shot out, "What a fucking bitch! How the fuck could she say that to you?!"
 
Lina cradled her cup against her cheek. "She was...is...a very hard person to spend time with. She didn't really want me that much, at least so far as I can tell. I had a lot of trips to the doctor for one thing or another and she remembered every time and...held me responsible for all that. But then, at age three, I was diagnosed with the worst sorts of...things. Things that still haunt my fears. Things that needed to be removed...but which would leave me 'half' a daughter. She freaked out that I might not be able to have the grandkids she really wanted."
 
She shut her eyes and took a deep breath. "She would always leave me at the hospital and go visit ex-boyfriends for comfort when my father had to work. I'd have nightmares neither would come back for me. I'd often wake up shaking with tears and the bed soaked. But the nurses were the sweetest. Always patient and kind with me. They helped so much, especially Beth."
 
Lina set her cup down on the table. "Beth had a few kids. And one of them got tired of his Gameboy, so she brought it to the hospital and gave it to me. I had never received a gift before and I'd never seen a game either. I was way too young to play but I played anyway. It was Tetris. My very first game. I'd hold the button and launch blocks at the bottom as music played. I could make them fill up the fastest. I would sit in a chair for a long, excruciating treatment or wait trembling on a gurney and it would help ease the pain and fear."
 
She gestured to her side. "Then I got Dr. Beary Nice. He was this lavender teddy bear with a little doctor coat, a plush stethoscope, and a black-thread smile dangling off his face. He was sick too, so they put us together and we played. Somehow, he always beat me...the lucky smirker."
 
I was gonna need a tissue soon but, if I broke down, then Lina would be sad too. So I swallowed, hid my face in my warm milk, and reminded her, "You made it though. And now you get to share what you were given with kids that need it too."
 
Her smile bloomed as she clutched her hands and nodded. "Yup. It's amazing! And...for them and all the rest, we really should be getting into bed so our heads don't snuggle any more tables."
 
Two in the morning and I was sure feeling it. Lina stripped down so the laundry could get started on her gamer clothes. Underneath, her underwear was peach pink with a set of delicate little bows. I knew just enough gaming to note, "So you had Princess Peach too?" 
 
Lina giggled, mostly because we were both out of it enough at that hour to find my lame quip funny.
 
I let her rummage through my closet and I washed up first. Drying off, I found she had groggily-assembled a few things. 
 
The first she showed off was a black, straight pencil line skirt with a plain, white button blouse and a navy cardigan. I hadn't worn any of those in forever. She called it, "The Babs Apprentice outfit with a little librarian."
 
The skirt, with its bright buckle, was big (slipping over her knees) but it fit. The blouse, however, puffed all over and the sleeves swaddled her hands. Not that she minded.
 
Next up was an ill-advised dress I'd tried to forget I owned. It was one-half black sports bra sewn onto a length of decades-old furniture upholstery covered in gaudy flowers. She could definitely take that, so long as she promised never to wear it outside. However, Lina definitely wore it better than that abomination deserved.
 
Last, she showed a fuzzy, fair-pink negligee that suited her nature far better than mine. No see-through bits and a white-lace trim along the bottom. She looked decent in just it, but I recommended a pair of matching leggings from a little further down the closet to keep her warm.
 
As she plucked the leggings off the rack, she noticed my swimsuits all together. "These are cute too!"
 
I smiled gently and advised her. "Those definitely won't fit."
 
Chuckling, she agreed but noted, "If only it were still summer. I love swimming. For years, I used to only feel comfortable in pools. Oh well."
 
Now, wait. No reason to write it off. This was a warm October so far and it was supposed to be quite toasty on Thursday. I also noted, "It's the day of the long lunch session. In the past, I have used that time to go to the pool on Wade Avenue for psychological recovery. Can't promise the weather will abide but we can give it a shot."
 
Lina beamed with that possibility on her way to the bath. I stayed up to make sure her clothes went on through to the dryer for the morning. I doubt she remembered drying her hair as she started to chew on the towel. I got her in the negligee and leggings then she crawled under the covers and was snoring just a minute later. 
 
I set several overlapping alarms for morning, including one I would have to leave the bed and think about to turn off. The night was still and peaceful as I got under the covers with her.
 
She squished her face against her fist. I led it aside so she wouldn't have a sore, red spot in the morning. I brushed her hair back where it had fallen forward and fell asleep beside her.
 
Oh shit! 
 
The storm was already in sight. It wasn't like the others that came across the lake. This motherfucker was a storm between universes. 
 
The clock was ticking. We were standing on a dune which was about to be sublimated. I fought off the Scratchers with just a fallen branch. Lina was at my feet, frozen in pain. Fucking Scratchers!
 
One bad hit from their bulbous, leaky claws and your life was jumbled up with the lives of a dozen different versions of you. You remembered dying in a war which never happened, singing songs from another place, and mourning the love who was your best friend in a different skin. 
 
But Scratchers were just the advance guard. They were opportunistic fucks. We didn't have a name for the others. Where Scratchers just poked the foundation of you, the others excised every trace of you from all realities. One touch and every chance you ever existed was gone. 
 
It made the rest of the team go mad. Infinite realities out of a greater infinity suddenly, forever culled. The Cats were our early warning system but the Scratchers took out our last Cat.
 
"Lina!...God...Please wake up!"
 
I shook her gently but persistently. If we could make it to the emergency shelter then we might be able to wait out the storm. 
 
She winced with a silent scream, as though untold other versions of her had their legs sliced off at that instant. Her eyes snapped open. 
 
"Valkyrie."
 
Not on this world. I corrected her, "Phoenix Rise."
 
Her head rocked, dipping between things she believed to be true. 
 
"Babs..."
 
With everyone else lost, I was in charge. In charge of ruins. But Priority One still stood. The signal could not be allowed to pass through. If it did, then that would be the end of everything. 
 
I set my feet in the sand. This had been where we first met all those years ago. We played, carefree, as the wind off the lake blew through our hair. We never knew we'd both be recruited.
 
Lina coughed, fighting back the dust in her mouth and the labyrinth in her mind.
 
"How did we get here? What happened? Did I oversleep?"
 
If only. I helped her to her feet. The tempest blasted again, gnawing us with sand. Lina clung to me with her arms around my waist. No one and nothing would take her from me. 

 
I stood against the wind, howling with horrors within. We were at the edge, the cusp of an unrelenting maw. I held out my hand. 
 
You will not break her. You will not take her. We will not yield. We will not fall. 
 
The Scratchers were ready for another round and the others for their first. I held my hand and focused. I will protect her with every ounce of my strength. 
 
Then, at the pits of darkness, the sun broke through. It was as pure as golden honey. The shrieks died off and the clouds began to break.
 
It was a beautiful day.
8