Sb-4. An Implacable Enemy
2.9k 24 121
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well,” Lydia said, a pained expression on her face, “the good news is there aren’t four Belphegors.”

“What a relief.” I replied flatly.

“And the bad news…” Both of our faces clouded over as we stared at the sensor image Dino Sveta and Kometka were rendering for us.

The enemy formation consisted of one Belphegor and six cruisers. Nothing so tricky as a Beelzebub was present. However, the Defiled cruisers were different, a kind we had never seen before. Just above their upper hull, they each had two long rails that ran from bow to stern, looking as if they were made out of bone. These bone-rails glowed with red light, and every thirty seconds they shot out a kinetic projectile, a bladebug accelerated to unspeakable velocities.

Six cruisers, each firing once every thirty seconds, and with their fire staggered five seconds apart; we had found the cause for the rapid-fire bombardment.

“This is the second time we’ve observed something unprecedented on the battlefield.” Sveta said. “First was the bladebugs.”

Lydia grimaced. “She’s specifically developing new strains of Sarcophage to counter us. Captain Savitskaya was right when she said this was an arms race.”

Komekta spoke next. “Still, the speed at which she adopts new tactics and breeds new strains is unprecedented. Our greatest tactical advantage over the Sarcophage always has been our long-range positron bombardment capability. Under Moby’s command, they’re evolving to outmatch us with startling alacrity.”

“Urgh. If they figure out how to make positron weapons of their own, we are done for.” I mused grimly.

I wondered to myself exactly how tenable the Captain’s confrontational strategy was. With the intelligence of Moby behind them, the Sarcophage were developing themselves almost as quickly as us. Without Zehra’s genius, we would have been overwhelmed already. But if the enemy was going to keep coming up with crazy new shit like this, was it truly worthwhile to make our stand at Eros simply to take pressure off the rest of the front?

“Let’s save speculation for after the battle.” Lydia continued. “Bad news, part two: look at how the Belphegor’s tails are configured.”

Belphegors looked disturbingly like two copulating scorpions, with their twin thoraxes joined at the belly. This gave them sixteen legs and two tails which ended in sharp stingers, along with numerous cilia that lined their body. The tails were capable of manipulating gravity, just like a Beelzebub’s wings or humanity’s drive fins. Previously, Moby had used these tails held in parallel as an impromptu railgun; now the tails were positioned perpendicular to the Belphegor’s body, and broadcasting a wide-range gravity field that enveloped the entire Sarcophage fleet. This made the Belphegor slightly resemble cross, which was intensely sacrilegious in my opinion.

In short, the Belphegor generating a gravity shield, a defensive barrier that would warp any shots we fired, artillery or otherwise, around their fleet.

“Why isn’t she using Beelzebubs this time?” I asked Lydia.

“Because I’m too damn good at destroying them.” Lydia answered without a hint of pride. “When I cut apart her Beelzebubs last time, it made her fleet vulnerable to artillery fire, which turned the tables. But there’s no way I could do the same to a Belphegor.”

The realization hit me. “Which means we can’t rely on our artillery, but Moby can keep pounding Eros until it’s dust.”

“Exactly.” Lydia practically spat the words out. “She’s manipulated the battlefield conditions perfectly to suit her strengths. This is gonna be tough.”

“Frames against cruisers with no artillery support? You BET it’s gonna be tough.” Cutting through the somber mood, I grinned fearlessly. “So what are we waiting for?”

Lydia chuckled dryly. “Yeah. Let’s get in there and kick some ass.” In that moment, Lydia’s aura resonated with mine. We were both blood knights, shaped by trauma and seeking combat as our own twisted form of therapy. I didn’t know the details of Lydia’s life, but she had fought on Mars and at the Third Great Surge, so she had surely seen some shit.

You’re so alike myself and my sister, Lydia. I felt deep respect for her bloom inside me.

Just then, Sveta cut in. “I’m picking up gravity comm waves again.”

Lydia sarcastically mimed checking a watch. “Right on schedule. Sveta, do you have the algorithms Kometka developed for neutralizing Sarcophage gravity fields?”

“Yup!”

“Pull them up and go over them. I’d like you to modulate six of the Velocipedes’ drive fins plus your own, and Kometka will take the other six and our Nighthawk. That way, our entire squadron can pierce the gravity barrier, engage them at close range and do something about those cruisers.”

“I can take more than six Frames, Sveta, if you think that might be too much.” Kometka offered. She was trying to be kind, but I sense Sveta’s pride had taken a hit.

“Don’t worry about it!” Sveta declared loudly, trying to project confidence. “With the X-23-B’s upgraded core, managing six Frames plus my Strike Fins won’t be an issue at all!”

“Right.” Lydia responded. “Sveta, contact the Captain using your relay network. Tell her I’m proposing we change our mission parameters from a reconnaissance-in-force to a disruption-in-force. If we can take out a few of those cruisers, that buys Eros more time to get other X-23s online. In the meantime, Kometka, draw up a battle plan assuming we can pierce their shield with our frames. I’ll distract Moby with some idle chatter.”

“Aye-aye!”

“Yes ma’am.”

And so, the two AI sisters got to work while we opened comms with Moby.

*****

“SWM-01, have you come to join with me?”

Moby’s creepy image filled our screens. As she spoke, numerous sharp teeth glinted.

“Huh? What’s with that weird new term you’re calling me, Moby? Whatever happened to ‘mind of sand and water?’” Lydia asked the Sarcophage girl.

“There are now multiple minds of sand and water. My error in our previous battle was not knowing that. I have designated you Sand-Water Mind 01, and the other Sand-Water-Mind 02. And you,” Moby looked at me, her creepy red-on-black eyes narrowing, “are a third? You are designated SWM-03.”

“I’m flattered.” I replied, grimacing. “Did you hear that, Sveta? We’re SWM-03 now.”

Sveta rolled her eyes. “Just what I’ve always wanted.”

“You know, Moby,” Lydia said, “this has been bugging me for a while. You keep describing us with all these creative terms, but you never call us by our names. Why is that?”

“‘Names’ are unknown to us.”

“They’re NOT, though.” Lydia said, sounding angry. “I’ve told you this many times before, but my name is Lydia. LYDIA. Not water-mind, not SWM-01, but LYDIA. You could at least learn the name of your mortal enemy. Show some damn respect!”

“‘Lydia’ has no meaning. It does not describe you. Objects must be described in precise terms.”

Kometka shook her head. “You’re wasting your time, Lydia. Moby has no concept of self-awareness. She’s like a computer system trying to emulate a human based on extremely limited data.” Lydia nodded her agreement with that assessment.

“‘I know of my difficulty understanding water-minds.” Moby said. Was it my imagination, or did she sound a bit insulted? “That is why I must join with you, SWM-01. I am incomplete. Once I have consumed the remainder of your flesh, I will be completed and finally understand.”

I spoke up. “That’s not true in the least. Understanding humanity isn’t a matter of genetic templates or raw data; it’s an EXPERIENCE that must be LEARNED.” Lydia seemed surprised at my outburst, but Moby looked at me intently.

“‘Learning’ is not known to us, but I can speculate. I have adapted my creatures to counter your new weapons… is this ‘learning?’”

“It is, yes.” I replied.

“Too much learning, if you ask me…” Sveta muttered.

“And using these ‘names’ will help me learn more about water-minds?” Moby continued.

“That, I don’t know. It couldn’t hurt.” I responded warily.

“Then I shall use them… Lydia, Kometka, Sabina and Sveta. Those are your names?”

“Dino Sveta, technically. Don’t ask, it’s complicated.” responded Sveta. The rest of us just stared, rather stunned by Moby’s sudden breakthrough.

“I wish for all of you to join with me. I will absorb much ‘learning’ from your flesh. Come, offer yourselves.” Moby spread her arms wide, as if to welcome us into her jaws.

“Fat chance.” Lydia took control of the conversation again. “We’re here to KILL you. Time for you to learn about death.” She signaled Kometka, who cut the comms.

There was a brief silence, then Lydia turned to me with a sour look. “Do you think that was wise, Sabina?”

“Huh?” I wasn’t sure what she meant.

“You somehow helped her have a breakthrough. I’ve never talked her into using my name before.”

“I think it’s a matter of explaining it from her perspective. You said she’s like a savant child, right?” I answered.

“That’s true, but… we don’t want to explain TOO much to her. The more she understands about humanity, the better she gets at countering us. Her unfamiliarity with our thought processes is a tactical advantage we can’t afford to lose.”

I frowned. “I understand that, but when the Captain first spoke with her, she asked about the possibility of a peace negotiation.” I hadn’t been present for that, but Sveta showed everyone in Maid Squadron recordings later so we could better understand our enemy. I was parroting the Captain’s words, but they tasted bitter in my mouth. The Sarcophage had taken almost everything from me, after all.

“Impossible.” Lydia said firmly. Her tone was cool and even, but her eyes glowed with hatred. “Moby herself said co-existence is impossible. Remember, they’re monsters who eat us alive. Their only purpose is to consume, consume and consume endlessly. The Sarcophage are a natural disaster, not a species. You don’t negotiate with a hurricane or an earthquake, right?”

“I’m forced to agree with that assessment.” Kometka added. “Even if the appearance of Moby indicates the development of intelligence and the possibility of peaceful coexistence, I don’t think we should take it. We’re balancing the scales of human deaths by the billions. There can be no forgiveness for that.”

“You’re both right.” I responded in a small voice. Frankly, I had heavy doubts about Captain Savitskaya’s approach to all this. Throughout human history, there had always been mass murderers who had orchestrated inexcusable acts of genocide. Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, the Three Pashas, Adolf Hitler, Samuel Grentha… the correct response to the actions of these evil people was armed and violent resistance, not appeasement or negotiation. Our role as soldiers was simply to put an end to the wicked, and moral judgement of their souls could be left to God. Although I doubted Sarcophage had eternal souls to begin with.

I wanted to say that out loud, but I didn’t feel like it was my place to question my superiors. That's the reason I had raised the subject of negotiation in the first place; because the Captain had already done so. But I was a good little soldier, and I’d follow my orders. I’d even do so enthusiastically if those orders meant killing Sarcophage.

I suppressed my inner turmoil and looked at Lydia. “I apologize if I went too far.” I didn’t have anything more to say than that. I hoped I hadn’t given Lydia the wrong impression, but she seemed to understand what I was thinking well enough. She smiled and silently nodded to me.

Just then, Sveta spoke up. “The Captain has approved the change in the mission plan. She says to take out two or three of the Defiled and then retreat back to Eros to regroup and resurge with a larger force.”

“Right.” Lydia opened up comms to the whole squadron. “Attention, soldiers. We are now changing missions from a reconnaissance-in-force to a disruption-in-force. Kometka and Sveta will be conducting micro-modulations on your gravity drives to enable your Frames to penetrate the Belphegor’s gravity field. Thinning will be handled by Sveta’s Strike Fins. Please refer to the tactical plot on your screens now: our goal will be the destruction of the cruisers located at 045 mark 357 and 045 mark 036. If attrition is low, we may also attempt destruction of the cruiser at 000 mark 302. Stick to your elements under all circumstances. Wings are to stay in outward-diamond formation to cover all incoming spinefire.”

Lydia cut the squadron comms and turned to us. “Sabina, Sveta, are you ready?”

“Yeah!” I responded enthusiastically. The time for philosophy was over; the siren song of battle now filled my ears.

“You bet we are!” Sveta added, spewing a gout of flame from her mouth.

We dove into the Belphegor’s gravity shield, positron rifles and cannons at the ready.

Hello, dear readers! Lyric here!

Today's chapter has philosophical debate on the battlefield, almost like I were writing a Gundam series or something. Actually, Giant Robot Reincarnation is lightly based on old Gundams vs aliens story I dreamed up after seeing A Wakening of the Trailblazer. Maybe someday, Sunrise will put me in charge of my very own Gundam series?

Okay, probably not. But a vampire can dream, yeah?

121