Arc II Chapter 9
3.1k 40 144
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

II


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc II Chapter 9


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

17th Glacia Solar 747 AAC

 

Once again, Aurora and her dolls were wandering through the empty halls of Schwarzburg. The ancient castle and hereditary seat of the House von Schwarz throned above Freyburg, watching the city below.

 

Once again, Aurora was searching for her mother, but this time she had an actual plan. This time, little Aurora fetched a map to not get lost again. The map proved useful and helped her to orient herself. 

 

Aurora clenched her fists, filled with determination. This time, she would achieve her goal and find her mother. Her endless studies tired her mind, so it was time for some distraction. Clarissa and her endless books overwhelmed her, suffocating her through a veritable flood of paper. Her head was spinning, as her studies never ended. Nothing short of perfection was expected from her, and Clarissa drove her without the slightest hint of compassion. 

 

Grammar. Orthography. Calligraphy. Logic. Rhetoric. Philology. History. Geography. Philosophy. Poetry. Theology. Mythology. Art. Jurisprudence. Arcadian. Alfreikian. Aquitanian. Novrhelian. Far too many languages for her poor little head. Her tutors knew no mercy. They clearly intended to kill her, but Aurora escaped her personal hell, at least for the time being. Sooner or later, her tutors would catch her again, but for now she was free.

 

Motivated and determined, Aurora jumped up the stairs, her faithful dolls accompanying her.  

 

Propelled by impatience, her swift legs approached her destination. Ignoring her better judgement, Aurora was running across the stone floor. Her childish joy proved irresistible. Friedrich prohibited her from running in the castle, but evil Friedrich wasn't present, so she was free to ignored her nagging retainer. Friedrich told her that uneven stone floors were treacherous, that you could easily trip. He was wrong, they weren't dangerous at all ...

 

“Awww.” Aurora hit the floor after tripping over an evil stone.  

 

...

...

...

 

“Ouchies.” Aurora groaned and rubbed her poor butt. The fall hurt. Her legs tripped, but neither treacherous floors, nor evil stones, could stop her. This was nothing but a temporary setback.

 

After recuperating, little Aurora continued her journey. She arrived at her mother's room, but the door was closed, and the door handle was beyond her reach. High door handles ... They were her nemesis ...

 

As such, Aurora knocked.

 

...

 

No reaction. The room remained silent.

 

As such, Aurora knocked again.

 

...

 

No reaction.

 

Aurora knocked stronger. Her tiny fist gave its best.  

 

...

...

...

 

Silence. Still no reaction.

 

Aurora and her dolls pouted in frustration. Mama was probably sleeping, which was annoying, terribly annoying. 

 

The court physicians transferred her mother to this section of the castle, as her health had deteriorated and her condition had worsened in recent weeks. Her chronic illness returned, striking once again. The physicians prescribed her strict rest. Mama would require time to recover, and the northern tower proved ideal. The tower was located in one of the less frequented areas of the castle, far removed from the prying eyes of the public and undesired guests. 

 

Now all that was left was to enter the room, yet the door denied her. The lone wooden door blocked her path. The cursed door stood between her and her mama. The door was a worthy opponent indeed, yet it was an opponent meant to be overcome! Resistance was futile! The door would fall!

 

Aurora was reaching for the handle, but her attempts bore little fruit. Despite standing on her tiptoes, the handle still eluded her. Her efforts failed. The handle was so close, yet so far. The handle was beyond her reach. 

 

Aurora pouted in anger, puffing up her cheeks. The world was unfair. As usual, she was too short. If only she was taller. Yet little Aurora didn't give up. Her indomitable will burned like fire. A Schwarz never gives up. They only surrender.  

 

Clenching her fist, her motivation rose. The door would fall no matter the cost! Even if it was the last she did!

 

Backing off, Aurora attempted a running start and jumped, carried by her momentum and her resolve. She succeeded. Her hands reached the handle and pulled the lever down. The door yielded and opened.

 

Overjoyed, Aurora celebrated her triumph. Her victory restored her diminished confidence. Success! She did it! She did it! Brave little Aurora defeated the evil door!

 

Following her victory, Aurora entered the room. Its interior was the definition of spartan. Furniture was sparse. A table and a few chairs decorated the room, flanked by a number of unused bookshelves. Old rugs covered the blank stone walls. A mixture of crystal lamps and candles illuminated the place. A modest fireplace warmed the room. The burning logs fended off the creeping cold. Winter had paid the land a visit, and the world outside the windows had turned white. Snow and ice covered the castle, and the chilling winds clashed against the walls, but Schwarzburg withstood the elements.

 

Aurora shivered. She hated the freezing cold of winter. Without the comfort of her beloved blankets, she was at risk of turning into an literal ice cube, but such considerations didn't matter. Aurora had finally found her beloved mother.

 

“Mama!” Aurora charged at her mother, ambushing her with a deadly, tight hug.

 

“Aurora ...” Surprise was written all over her mother's face.  

 

  

Her mother patted her. “Aurora, what are you doing here?”

 

“I missed you, mama.” Aurora tightened her hug, strengthening her grip. She didn't intend to release her ever again. Mama wouldn't escape her love any more. “The castle is lonely without you.”

 

“I see.” Her words put a smile on her mother's lips. “Apparently, you also brought your dolls with you. Friedrich mentioned that you appreciate them very much.”

 

Aurora nodded vigorously, armed with a radiant beam. “I love them. Aurora and Felicia are perfect. They are the best birthday present that I have ever received. Aurora, Felicia, say hello to mama~.” Her dolls waved at her mother.

 

Her mother giggle, amused by her playful antics. “I am glad. I feared that you wouldn't like them, but it seems my fears were unfounded.”

 

Aurora pouted. “Of course, they are perfect. After all, they come from mama. ”

 

Her mother beamed, ruffling her hair. “You are such a wonderful daughter, but that's not the reason my little, cuddly Aurora is visiting me, right?” Her mother pinched her cheeks.

 

Aurora blushed in embarrassment. Her cheeks were fluffy, yet she hated being treated like a doll by everyone. Her cheek were not made to be pinched. “Mama, sthop thish!” 

 

Her mother giggled. “You are always so predictable, my little treasure. Tell me, what do you need?”

 

“I want ...” Aurora lowered her eyes. “I want ... I want to ask if you might play dolls with me~. The castle is quite lonely, so I was curious if you have time ...”

 

Her mother poked her nose. “Silly girl, of course, I do. Why wouldn't I have time for my precious daughter?”

 

Aurora's eyes sparkled with joy, followed by another tight hug directed at her mother. “Mama is the best~.”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

13th Terra Solar 747 AAC

 

Heavy, soaking rain shrouded Freyburg in darkness, in a storm of raging elements. It was the time when winter passed and spring arrived, the season of renewal and vitality, but spring brought no joy. Spring brought sadness and bitterness, as pain engulfed Aurora's tender heart.

 

Clad in black, she tried to maintain her composure, but deep inside, her heart cried. Her very soul was shedding tears. Now alone and forever separated, her doll accompanied her through these trying times, ever faithful, ever loyal.

 

Standing inside the crypt, surrounded by the serenity of polished marble and granite, Aurora stared at a grave, her mother's grave. The tombstone carried her name, Felicia von Hohenstaufen, Royal Princess of Arcadia, Duchess of Schwarzwalt.

 

“We thus mourn the death of Felicia von Hohenstaufen, beloved wife, beloved mother. May her soul rest in peace. May the Gods guide her on her path”, The priest ended his liturgy, offering little consolation. When death paid his due to visit, even the holy scriptures fell silent. 

 

“...” A stream of tears caressed Aurora's cheeks. Felicia ... was no more. Death had robbed her of her beloved mother.

 


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

144