Arc II Chapter 17
2.4k 39 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

II


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc II Chapter 17


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

18th of Anima Lunar 753 AAC

 

Aurora turned to her newest underlings, her fluffballs. Her eyes narrowed. Her icy gaze froze them solid. Her sprites would be pressed into service, even on an involuntary basis, if necessary. Duty called, and they would obey. Far from innocent, the sprites and their thoughtless behaviour responsible were for this entire disaster. No pardon would be given.

  

“Zzzz.” The will-o-wisps gulped, sensing their approaching misfortune. They wouldn't escape their punishment. Their mistress didn't negotiate.

 

“Listen, my friends, we both know who is responsible for this, don't we? It certainly wasn't me.” Aurora crossed her arms.

 

“Zzzzzz.” Her sprites lowered their heads in shame, confessing to their guilt.

 

Aurora approved of their repentance. “As such, we will fight the beast together. And when I say together, I mean we, and when I say we, I mean you.”

 

“Zzzz?” Her new friends looked puzzled, tilting their heads. They didn't understand. To them, the evil princess made no sense.

 

“Yes, you.” Aurora deployed a benevolent smile. “You caused this, so you will also take responsibility.”

 

Her fluffballs suffered a near heart attack. Their aether froze, and their confidence dropped to an all time low.  

 

“Zzzzzz! Zzzz! Zzzzzz!” her sprites protested in unison. This was madness! This was insanity! They were no cheap cannon fodder!

 

Aurora clicked her tongue. “You are such pessimists. Worry less, ... you won't die. At least, I hope so.”

 

Her last part didn't escape them. Her fluffballs heard their evil princess loud and clear, erupting in open protest. “Zzzz. Zzzz. Zzzz. Zzzz. Zzzz.Zzzz.”  

 

Yet their meek protest went unheard, dismissed by an experienced glare. “Is this what I think it is? Do I sense rebellious discontent among the nether ranks?”

 

...

...

...

 

Her actions proved effective at restoring discipline. Order was maintained. Her sprites whimpered after submitting under the weight of her intimidating glare. They finally realised that they had got themselves into something beyond their control. From here on, there was no way out. 

 

Aurora raised her index finger. “Do not despair, though. You are not alone. I have a plan.”

 

Her sprites blinked. “Zzzz?” She did?

 

“As a matter of fact, I do!” Her chest swelled with pride. “My plan is to use the crystals against our common enemy.”

 

The fuzzballs responded with a blank stare. 

 

“To make things simple, I will inject my mana and destabilise the crystal formation. This will trigger a chain reaction and set off the crystalised aether.”

 

“Zzzz.” Her friends sounded less than convinced. Hopefully, their mistress knew what she was doing.

 

“Unfortunately, preparations take time. That's where you all come in. You will create a diversion and distract the enemy, while I set up the explosion. You will engage the enemy and act as living decoys. After successfully establishing contact, you will disengage and fall back. Capitalising on your numerical superiority, you should split up and disperse. That way, it’s less likely that all of you will get caught.”

 

“...” Her sprites looked at her with a healthy amount of scepticism.

 

“Afterwards, you will lead him back to my position to be finished off by our little present.” Aurora beamed. “In short, nothing complicated. Nothing too elaborate. You might end up getting eaten, but life is a dangerous affair in general.”

 

“...” The sprites declined to comment. Their blank stares told her everything she needed to know.

 

Aurora clapped her hands together. “Do you have any questions?”

 

...

...

...

 

“None? Excellent. Now off with you. The enemy is waiting for you.” Aurora and her accompanying doll took cover behind her lovely wall and clenched her fists to demonstrate her resolve. “Have courage! Show no fear! Never forget, I believe in you. I am behind you, right behind this wall.” Her hollow declaration offered her comrades little consolation.

 

“Even my doll supports you. Aurora, wave at them.” Her doll waved at the sprites. Her wave carried the bitter aftertaste of a parting gift of dubious benevolence.  

 

...

...

...

 

“Zzzzzzz. The sprites gulped, yet they followed her command without so much as a complaint, and thus faced the beast. It was time to confront the enemy. It was time to die.


━━━━━━┛༻❁༺┗━━━━━━


Peeking over the wall, Aurora watched her comrades floating directly towards the enemy. They were such brave little sprites, yet their chances of survival ranged from minimal to non existent, information that was not meant to be divulged. Her heart pitied them, but the realities of combat were tragic. Casualties were to be expected.

 

Aurora consulted her doll. “Do you think they will make it?”

 

“...” Her doll remained silent.

 

“I agree. Poor creatures. I hope they are faster than they look.” Aurora returned into hiding, biding her time. It was now on the fluffball brigade to prove their worth.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

110