Arc II Chapter 18
2.3k 33 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

II


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc II Chapter 18


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

18th of Anima Lunar 753 AAC

 

The fluffball brigade advanced into the jaws of death, despite their grim prospects of survival.

 

The sprites gulped, while Aurora was rooting for them from behind. They quickly came to regret their decision, and their courage wavered. Their resolve crumbled, but it was too late. It was impossible to retreat.

 

The wolf snapped to attention and his eyes fell on them, his original prey. The wolf snarled. His violent blood boiled. “RRRRawrrwwrrr!!!”

 

This wasn't ... good. The sprites began to panic, as sweat was running down their foreheads. 

 

The dread wolf flashed his razor-sharp fangs. His claws bit into the ground, propelling his massive body forwards. He came closer :

 

The will-o-wisps realised the danger. RUN! RUN!! RUN!!! 

 

The sprites ran as fast as possible, driven by blank and naked fear. They floated like never before, and never again, racing across the ruins with vengeful monstrosity following them. The distance shortened, and their panic increased. What shall they do? They were done for!

 

In the meanwhile, the dust settled and Aurora emerged from safety of the rubble. Her head carefully inspected left and right. “This ... worked .... better than expected. A flawless execution.” Her doll shared her sentiment. The wolf ignored her and took her bait. The sprites served as her sacrificial pawns. May their noble sacrifice never remembered throughout the ages. At least, until tomorrow.

  

Aurora abandoned her cover and advanced, sprinting to the crystal formation. The crystals radiated a powerful aura of lightning aether. Her small steps and short legs carried her forwards. The wolf snarled in the distance; as her expendable allies bought her precious time, time she well advised to use wisely.

 

Closing the distance, Aurora reached the crystal vein. Closing her eyes and channelling her mana, her senses explored the surrounding energy. Massive quantities of lightning aether circulated through the vein below the ground.  

 

Aurora gathered her mana and injected a negligible portion to force a reaction. The crystals resonated and flared up. Their purple glow fascinated her, enthralled her. The vein reacted, pulsating with the crystals unable to contain the increasingly unstable aether within.

 

A smirk crossed her lips. The fuse was set. The firework was prepared. Meanwhile, her friend returned. The fluffballs lured the beast back to her position. The wolf shattered the nearest wall, hunting the sprites. They swirled around in complete disarray. Their battle plan fell apart like a house of cards in the heat of battle. Each sprite fought for their own survival, forsaking any sense of camaraderie. Fleeing was their only option, but their tactical retreat turned into a full-blown rout. Discipline collapsed, and they zigzagged around with the sole goal of escaping his vicious fangs. They didn't want to end up as lunch.

 

The wild beast didn't cease his hunt, but his crimson pupils halted on a known presence. His eyes narrowed and his fangs sharpened. The girl had returned. May it be folly, or insanity, the foolish little girl had returned to his claws.

 

“RRRRawrrwwrrr!!!” The wolf growled, exploding into a frenzied charge. His claws ripped stone apart as his legs catapulted him forwards. A wild beast, a living machine of flesh and tendons. The earth trembled under his momentum.

 

Aurora grinned. Her plan had succeeded. Unbeknownst to the beast, the tables had turned against him. His defenceless prey had turned into a hunter. The hunt commenced, her hunt.

 

Injecting a final pulse of mana, the crystals finally hit a critical state and disintegrated, decomposed, decayed, unable to maintain their structure. The frail equilibrium was collapsed. Now what was left to her was running, trusting in her short legs.

 

Aurora sprinted, a race against time. The fuse wouldn't last forever. The explosion was imminent.

 

Ten ...

 

The clock ticked.

 

Nine ...

 

The sprites raced after her, realising the danger.

 

Eight ...

  

Seven ...

 

The wolf came closer. The distance between them melted like snow in the sun.

 

Six ...

 

Aurora cursed her body. Her short legs ... Her small steps ... Her long fluffy hair ...

 

Five ...

 

“RRRRawrrwwrrr!!!”

 

Four ...

 

Time was running out. She had to take cover.

 

Three ...

 

Cover. Cover. Cover. Her eyes fluctuated before identifying a decapitated pillar. Target acquired. Adequate choice. Sturdy basis. Stone. High blast resistance. Little fragmentation.

 

Two ...

 

Aurora checked on her companions. Her fluffballs followed their mistress, their only possible saviour. “Follow me!”

 

One ...

 

Aurora decelerated and threw herself behind the pillar. Her eyes closed, her ears plugged, her mouth open, Aurora braced herself for the incoming blast.

 

Zero.

 

...

...

...

 

Nothing happened .... The detonation misfired. Her fuse malfunctioned. In her moment of need, the crystals failed her. This wasn't planned. This wasn't supposed to happen.  

 

 

Aurora peeked around the corner, her displeasure openly visible. Two crimson eyes greeted her. The beast flashed his fangs. Her grandiose failure even amused him. He chuckled, ridiculing her efforts. Nice try, lass. Next time, try harder.

 

Little Aurora clenched his fist. Her eyebrow twitched. This rascal. This oversized fur coat had the impertinence to taunt her. Her! “Don't try me, go screw yourself, you fucking arsehole. We will see who laughs last.”

 

“RRRRawrrwwrrr!!!” His amused chuckle subsided, replaced by pure, undiluted rage.

 

Aurora clicked her tongue and lifted her chin. Her hand beckoned him. The puppy didn't scare her. “All bark and no bite, bring it on if you can. I am waiting ...”

 

“Zzzzzzz. Zzzzzzz. Zzzzzzz.Zzzzzzzzzzzz.” The eerie sound of electrical currents discharging interrupted them. The crystals reacted in a cascade of sparks. The orchestra of lightning intensified, as intervals shortened. The enclosed aether expanded and demanded space. “Zzzz. Zzzzzz. Zzzzzzz. ZZZZZZZ.”

 

Bolts of lightning lashed out. The crystals were glowing, and deep purple turned gleaming white. The aether levels escalated, far exceeding her calculations. The aether levels were way too high.

 

“...” Aurora fell silent. This was bad, very bad. The explosion was far more potent than expected.

 

Hugging her doll. Aurora braced herself. This was going to be a rough experience. How right she was. The earth trembled, and her world turned white. Her frail body absorbed the shock wave.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

101