Chapter 10 – Leaving the Forest.
4.5k 28 147
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10 - Leaving the Forest.

 

Soon after she had killed the goblin, I stared into Alisha's eyes which had no emotions at all; eyes of one who would not look back at the past and move forward, that was what I saw in her eyes.

 

"Alisha, are you still there?" I asked before she suddenly shook her head as she replied "I am okay", before approaching the goblin corpse and taking the short dagger from its arm; the short dagger was slightly rusty with slight scrapes on its edges... after grabbing the dagger, she then shook it slightly, removing most of the wet blood that was on the blade as she stared at me... creepy, put your dagger down!

 

"How can I tie this here?" She asked as her hand trembled violently which was most likely the aftereffects of killing a humanoid creature... I never killed a humanoid creature before, so I can't feel what she is feeling right now but I truly feel sorry for letting her experience such a thing...

 

"Hmm... how about we use the cloth from the goblin's shirt?" I suggested as she glanced at the goblin which was still bleeding before nodding and walking towards it as she ripped off several parts of the goblin's shirt before walking back to me as she tilted her head for more instructions.

 

"After that, you tie the dagger by holding the grip of the dagger on the edge of the branch before tightly covering it with the cloth", I instructed using vague instructions, nonetheless, she nodded and did as I imagined, she really is smarter than a normal child to be honest.

 

Soon after tying the dagger onto the branch, she then started rehearsing her practices with slight modifications such as a horizontal slash between them which was most likely her attempt to get comfortable with the new blade along with the new weight of her weapon... more and more time passed by as she continued rehearsing her training before she suddenly stopped and asked: "Let's get out of this forest now?" She said while smiling at me; her smile was unlike her usual, her smile right now was the most beautiful I have seen from her. A true smile, one with shiny eyes with no impurity.

 

"It seems like you want to go outside now, let's go then!" I said as I levitated myself up in the air before looking for areas where the airflow is unrestricted; the areas where the airflow is unrestricted are places where there is no object blocking them from moving which is usually a flatland... well this is just my guess though.

 

Soon, time passed quickly as we swiftly moved towards the direction where the air felt free, unlike the other directions which were filled with objects like trees or something... Suddenly as if noticing something Alisha stopped on her tracks before thrusting straight at the ground she was standing on before pushing her foot down as she flew up in the air for a few seconds while doing flips before landing softly... immediately after she landed, a large worm with a gaping maw surrounded by small teeth around it, came out from the ground; the worm had the height of an apple tree while having the width of a car, it had gooey green liquid on its mouth as its stomach shone green.

 

As soon as it came out, the large worm rushed towards us with its mouth directed towards us as its multiple eyes glared with hatred; seeing the attack coming, Alisha immediately swung her weapon horizontally with a force strong enough to cause a tiny cracking sound on her weapon... immediately after she swung her weapon at the worm, the worm flew back before slamming at a nearby tree causing a loud explosion.

 

Not letting the opportunity disappear, Alisha swiftly moved towards the worm with her spear ready to strike; during the split-second moment, I immediately cast simple strengthening spell which I learned from the mysterious knowledge, causing her weapon to have a translucent white barrier around it as she struck straight at the worm's stomach, causing a rain of gooey green liquid; the liquid smelled like poo and had a very disgusting appearance, it was enough to make me, a "book" puke inside.

 

While I was here complaining about the disgusting look, Alisha stared at the worm with an indifferent face; similar to last time, her face was empty, it had no emotions... it was like a mask, one where you won't be able to understand what is inside one's mind.

 

"Why do you always have that indifferent face?" I asked her before she glanced at me for a second before shaking her head as she asked... "If I had this skill, I wouldn't have suffered back then right?"... is that what she was thinking the whole time, power? But... without me, you wouldn't be able to get this strong though. I thought as I replied,  "Of course, but if you already had this ability, you wouldn't have met me as well." I answered before she smiled brightly.

 

"Yes, I am very grateful to you for teaching me." She said as she hugged me tightly as her eyes became wet; her eyes were like a river right now, a serene river that was never found before.

 

"I mean if you weren't there for me, wouldn't I be dead already?" She said with a trembling voice as her hug tightened even more...  "Don't worry, no matter which world we are in, we will forever be together!" I replied as she kneeled on the soil while crying as she hugged me tightly; her cries were loud, it was the cry of someone who had bottled up her emotions, the cry of someone who is scared to ask someone for help, the cry of someone who wants help but is rejected by the people around... someone that deserves more. As if reading my mind, a voice resounded inside my mind, the voice said "No matter which world we are in, forever shall we be together. My child, I will be watching over you forever", a mature voice that I know the most, the voice of someone who had left me behind...

 

"Mother, you knew huh." I muttered in my breath as Alisha kept crying until for some time before she rubbed her eyes as she stood up and said, "Let's get going now?" while reaching out a hand to me despite my identity as a book... "Let's go!" I said as she smiled before we started walking towards our destination... to the land where we can be free, where we can ourselves!

 

During our walk, we encountered several goblins and a single rabbit, since there was a rabbit, we immediately cooked it neatly as Alisha ate it happily before we once again started moving once again until we encountered a large squirrel the same size as a goblin. The squirrel was far weaker than a goblin but it was faster than one but still, with the help of a wind spell along with Alisha's speedy thrusts, we managed to efficiently kill it before dismantling its fur and using it as some kind of coat. After the squirrel came a horde of red ants, these ants were just shorter than a goblin and also weaker than one but had the advantage in numbers. We had a slight problem fighting against it but still managed to get past it with Alisha's horizontal slashes along with her quick reaction, it was as if she was made to fight.

 

After the large horde of ants, we then took a quick break by cooking the ants, which were surprisingly sweet as sugar. It had no side effects as well and was safe to eat, Alisha pretty much rummaged through the ants. Shortly after our break, we continued walking for an unknown amount of time before seeing a bright light which was the end of the forest but there was one more obstacle.

 

A white wolf was standing in front of our exit as if waiting for us, it didn't even wait for our reaction as it ran towards Alisha with its mouth open who thrust with an underarm grip before placing more force onto her foot and causing the wolf to fly up in the air. As soon as the wolf was in the sky, she aimed her weapon as to catch the wolf directly once it fell down which didn't take long with the help of my wind spell; the wolf soon fell straight at Alisha's weapon which instantly penetrated its belly before pulling her spear down to the ground.

 

Confirming that the wolf is dead, she then started dismantling the wolf with its meat being covered with leaves while the fur became her new coat with the old coat becoming some kind of grip for her spear. Soon after dismantling, she immediately ran to the light before spreading her arms wide in the arm.

"Finally free!" She shouted as she rolled on the grass with the brightest smile ever.

I am pretty happy with this rewrite.

147