Requiem Epilogue – Weak.
4.2k 14 120
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trio sat there for a while. On the empty plaza, where nothing but dust, clothes and blood remained, they were unmoving. The Stem, the way out of this Leaf, that they had sought after for so long, was easily within reach now. No one was left to oppose them. Although that wasn’t going to be a permanent state. The people that remained on the Leaf would come back to find this scene eventually.

It wasn’t a stretch to imagine that, in the absence of Apotho, the blame would be put on them. Apexus had killed a guard and was an unknown creature people wouldn’t trust anyway. Aclysia had fled from the Church despite being an angel. Reysha was actually guilty of everything one could accuse her off. She had broken the seal, she had killed a number of people to get there.

Apexus wasn’t sure yet how to handle that, given how everything had ended. If they had managed to stop Apotho, it would have been one thing that she had been played, but by the consequences of her actions, thousands had died. Thousands more might, depending on what Apotho planned to do with his newfound freedom.

What he knew, however, was that he cared too much for her to leave her here – to certain death by the outraged people. The slime looked at the two women. Aclysia was weeping, collapsed on the floor, powerless in the face of desolation.

As was Reysha.

“I didn’t want this,” she whispered, the tears washing blood, sweat and dust of her cheeks. “I didn’t want this. I just wanted you back. I didn’t want this. I didn’t want this.” The effects of the potion had not yet left her, or perhaps she was just too shocked. Either way, she didn’t move, just mumbled those two phrases over and over again.

‘This has to stop,’ Apexus thought, the only clear-thinking person around. Although the loss of sapient life saddened him, there was a certain detachment he gained from being of a different line of creature altogether. Perhaps it was just the survival instincts that let him look at this pragmatically. ‘They hunted us, they succeeded, Reysha wanted to hunt them, she dealt with things she didn’t understand, now they will retaliate.’

Apexus slowly rose. Although he was missing more mass than he liked and was quite thirsty, it was too risky to waste time and give people the chance to return to there. Looking at him quizzically as he slung Reysha’s arm over his shoulder, Aclysia asked. “What do we do now, Apexus?”

“We leave,” the slime stated offering a hand to help his beloved up. “We go somewhere where nobody knows us. We will hide again. With a few more Growths, I could pass as a humanoid. We deal with what we did by moving forwards. I don’t think any of us deserve for today and I don’t care to wait for those who do. Agree, you don’t?”

That stumble in his speaking pattern made Aclysia chuckle involuntarily. Everything was so desolate that this little thing signalled a piece of normalcy that she desperately needed. Taking his hand, she rose, then helped him support Reysha. It was a purely symbolic gesture, the Rogue walked on her own, as long as they moved. Together they walked to the Stem.

Because that was all they could do.

“I just…” Reysha mumbled. “…I just… I just love you… and they took you from me…” It was the worst time for a confession, but her strained mind blurted the words out regardless. “I didn’t… is this real? Are you here, Apexus?”

“I am here.”

“Then why did I… why did I want to kill them? Mehily and Bertholdth and all of the Guards and that Hunter?” her tears grew more numerous, her steps unsteady as convulsions tensed her body in irregular intervals. “I didn’t know, Apeuxs… I was so angry, I was so alone… I didn’t think that… even at the worst of times I didn’t expect this… not this… I didn’t know, I didn’t…”

“I believe you, Reysha,” the slime tried to calm her down. “We’ll talk about this another day, when we had time to think.”

“Let’s just live, for now,” Aclysia agreed, as they put their feet on the path of silver light. “Step for step. We all made a mistake today. The final pages of this tale aren’t written yet. There is redemption for everyone.”

“Even for me?” Reysha wondered, a question she would have never cared about under normal circumstances. What Apotho said was coming true. The suppressed feelings were rebounding, making her regretful beyond her usual capabilities. Emotions that stress had made her discard to survive back in the Clearwater Dungeon were violently brought back. Whether this helped or worsened her insanity was a question that only the long term could answer.

“Everyone,” Aclysia insisted, clinging onto her hopeful worldview. “It’s never too late to make an effort for the better. Perhaps you can never be forgiven for everything you did, but you can be remembered for more than your evil deeds. Just continue walking. I will do my best to support you.” A support she now needed, as Reysha’s feet dragged with every step.

“We’re terribly weak, aren’t we?” Reysha asked. It was unclear on what dimension she was talking about. About them as a group, humanoids in general, or even all beings with sapience. It all seemed accurate and important to ask.

Apexus chose to go with the lowest level. “We three are and Apotho is strong,” he said, an immense oversimplification. “We have been given time,” the sky around them faded as they escaped the borders of the Leaf. It was replaced with a dark blue. “If he is arrogant enough, we’ll have the time to grow strong. We can fix this. At least, we have to try.”

Reysha continued to weep and mumble things. Aclysia continued to cry and walk. Apexus looked at the world before them. It was beautiful. Branches and twigs of incomprehensible size were spreading through a pitch-black world. Many worlds were hanging off the branches, each shaped like a leaf. The veins that ran through those distant Leafs separated the vision of the worlds content into numerous fragments. Worlds of ice sparkled white and blue, endless autumn forests dominated by brown and gold, spring an array of vibrant colours, flower waving in winds worlds away and the green of summer that Apexus already knew. Between those four pillars, endless variations and mixtures existed. Too many to be contained in this singular view of an infinite universe. The Omniverse was sprawled out before them and it was beautiful.

Apexus couldn’t help but look back. Although Ctania’s nature was still beautiful, he could see the scar the initial breaking of the seal had created. More than that, he could see the two minor gods run around the Leaf, emulating sun and moon. They hadn’t slowed, it was unlikely they had even noticed the death underneath them.

The gods didn’t meddle. They were the final stage of life for people that ascended. They kept to themselves. They kept to their tasks. They kept watching and judging. The gods didn’t meddle, they let things happen as they would. They gave aid when someone prayed to them with the right tools. They gave advice in their teachings. But they didn’t meddle.

Apexus didn’t know how to judge that either. ‘Too many questions, too many tragedies for one day,’ he decided, just walking the rest of the Stem up to the Branch it was attached to. They left Ctania behind.

They left the Safe Leaf behind.

120