CHAPTER 4: NOT DREAMING
452 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bai Minglan’s thoughts were undecipherable right now as they were nearing the morgue. He was walking right behind Shen Tianyi who, as one of the high-ranking doctors in the hospital, was currently wearing his white doctor’s coat with a stethoscope wound around his neck.

As soon as Bai Minglan saw the sign on the wall that indicates they should turn left to the morgue, he stopped. He found it difficult to take one more step towards that corner where he knows where Song Liuli’s body is. He can feel his body started shaking, so he clenched his fists to keep himself from falling apart.

Shen Tianyi, who was walking in front, seemed to perceive that his friend had stopped walking, so he turned back and silently stared at Bai Minglan. Gu Baicheng, who hasn’t said a word ever since they entered the hospital, tried to open his mouth to speak but ultimately decided to keep quiet. The two decided to give Bai Minglan a few more seconds to compose himself.

From where they are standing, they can hear the sobbing and punching sounds coming from the corner of the aisle. Knowing that up ahead is just the morgue where Song Liuli’s body is, they knew that these sounds should be from her bereaved family members.

“Bai Minglan, let’s go.”, Shen Tianyi urged him after a while. If Bai Minglan wants to see Song Liuli for the last time, they had to go now.

Bai Minglan took a deep breath and composed himself. There is no backing out. He needs to face the reality no matter how painful it is. He started walking towards where the morgue is.

As soon as he turned around the corner, he saw Song Liuli’s brothers crying. The older one was sitting on the bench with a blank expression on his face while his wife was at his side sobbing. The younger one was crying as well, but more than sadness, you can see that there is anger in his eyes. He, every now and then, punched the wall in frustration. A man and a woman, presumably his friends, were consoling him and were trying to stop him from hurting himself.

Bai Minglan also noticed a few familiar faces. There’s Song Liuli’s friend who was also the co-owner of the woman’s fashion house and her boyfriend.

The three oncoming footsteps garnered the attention of Song Liuli’s older brother’s wife and younger brother. The younger brother’s anger intensified as soon as he saw Bai Minglan. He rushed towards him and grabbed him by the collar.

“What are you doing here?!”, he screamed in between gritted teeth.

“Liuchen!”, the two friends by his side immediately grabbed him back to stop him from running afoul. They tried to pry his hands off Bai Minglan’s collar.

“Boss!/Minglan!”, Gu Baicheng and Shen Tianyi were both alarmed at Song Liuchen’s reaction. They tried to help separate the two men as well.

Caught off guard, Bai Minglan was unable to respond to Song Liuchen’s anger. He didn’t understand why his reaction was like that.

“Why are you here?!”, Song Liuchen was still raging even after his two friends have pulled him apart from Bai Minglan. “Are you here to see whether or not Big Sis is truly dead?!”

Perhaps due to adrenaline, but Song Liuchen was able to break free from his two friends’ grips. He rushed forward again to Bai Minglan and dragged him by the collar inside the morgue. Song Liuchen then pushed him forward towards a cadaver covered in a white sheet.

“Here! Here’s my sister!”, Song Liuchen gritted. “She’s dead! She’s dead now! You, who didn’t cherish her while she’s still alive, should be gloating in relief, right? After all, someone who doesn’t matter to you, who’s always clinging like a leech, finally gone just like that without you having to lift a finger!”

He finally let go of Bai Minglan. He took deep breaths as his anger and grief had stifled him too much.

“She’s gone!”, Song Liuchen’s voice trembled weakly as he repeatedly said those words. He slumped on the wall while sobbing heartbreakingly. “Big Sis is gone…”

Being right in front of Song Liuli’s covered body made Bai Minglan forget everything around him. He didn’t mind Song Liuchen manhandling him anymore. All his focus gathered on the body covered with a white cloth in front of him. With trembling hands, he held the edge of the cloth with the intention of removing it and checking if the body underneath truly belongs to his beloved woman. Despite his inner struggles, he can’t help but slowly uncover the cloth.

A painful explosion seemed to happen inside his head when he laid eyes on the face underneath the covers. He felt everything around him spinning in uncontrolled directions. His hands trembled even more as he confirmed the familiar face in front of him.

This is truly Song Liuli. Her pale, lifeless face with cuts and bruises due to the crash looks tragic yet beautiful at the same time. Bai Minglan’s beloved woman… Song Liuli.

“No….”, he shakily whispered in a sound only he can hear. His eyes darted to and fro, not knowing where to look. He feels that if he continues looking into her face, he won’t be able to deny the reality in front of his eyes. “It can’t be you. You can’t be here.”

Bai Minglan dropped the cloth he was holding on to and took a step back. There’s just no way he can easily accept this. He roughly wiped his palms on his face several times. Not satisfied, Bai Minglan proceeded to run his hands on his hair, clutching the edges, trying to feel the pain. However, no matter how much he denies it, he can feel the pain from all his acts, which further emphasized the fact that he wasn’t dreaming.

His eyes sting, yet he didn’t allow a single tear to fall. Regaining enough courage for himself, he steps forward once again. This time, his hands went under the covers to touch Song Liuli’s hand. His heart sank to the deepest of despair when he can’t feel a single thread of warmth in them. Not only were they cold, but they were also stiff he can’t even entwine his fingers with hers. As if she doesn’t want to hold on to his hands anymore.

“Liuli….”

 


 

Have you ever lost a loved one and have it hurt so much your heart feels the pain every time you remember?

7