CHAPTER 9: A LONELY LIFE (2)
442 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week after Shen Tianyi visited Bai Minglan in his penthouse, the latter recovered his usual vigor. He resumed going to work and picked up all his pending projects. He worked to further improve the company’s performance as well as spread his company’s prestige.

Seeing the rapid rise of the Infinit Corp under the newly reborn Bai Minglan, the industry shuddered at the means and ways of the young business magnate.

However, while most people think that Minglan was back to normal, only a few people close to him knew that he was still taking Song Liuli’s death hard.

A lot of things have changed after that. One of the most important things that changed is Bai Minglan’s dependence on alcohol and work to get his mind off things. He’d take on projects after projects which would require him to go home late and wake up early.

Before he sleeps, he needs a glass of alcohol to be able to sleep. Shen Tianyi had already confronted him on that matter. Only, his response had rendered Tianyi speechless.

“I just wanted to have a deep sleep, Tianyi.”, Bai Minglan seriously replied to his friend who snatched the glass of vodka on the rocks from his hand. “I just wanted to enter a state of sleep where I can dream.”

“But perhaps, Liuli hates me down to her soul? You see, no matter how many times I sleep deeply, she won’t come into my dreams. I can’t even be with her in my dreams?”

After that, Shen Tianyi had allowed Bai Minglan to drink a glass before sleeping and not a glass more. He also monitored his friend’s health even more closely. With how Bai Minglan was going about, Shen Tianyi was sure he’d collapse sooner or later.

Another thing that changed was Xia Lina’s position in the company. As one of the people who caused a misunderstanding between Minglan and Liuli, Xia Lina was on the top of the list of Minglan’s rage. He’d often see red when the woman was in front of him. However, he can’t put the full blame on her because he was partially at fault too.

Instead, he transferred Xia Lina to one of the underperforming branch companies of his empire. He would reject the woman’s request to come back to HQ. And when the woman sends a report of successfully pulling up that company’s performance, he would then transfer that woman to another underperforming company. This happened four times before Xia Lina decided to quit. All that time, he never allowed the woman to come near him again.

He felt that this way of punishment is too lenient; but Shen Tianyi was correct when he said that it will only be an honor to the woman if he spends more thoughts on her.

Bai Minglan also developed a habit of visiting Song Liuli’s grave every Saturday. He’d stay there for two to three hours. He’d personally clean up, pull weeds, pour water - whatever he finds necessary to keep it clean. Once he’s done with cleaning, he’d then talk as if Song Liuli is there to listen to him. He’d talk about his grievances, what happy things happened at work during the week, any worthwhile news from their common friends - he’d tell them all to her. More than that, he’d never forget to tell her he loves her so much and he misses her a lot.

It may be pointless, yes. But that is the only way Bai Minglan felt he can carry on with his life.

Two years after his beloved’s death, his mother had come to him asking him when he would marry. Indeed, he is growing older. Yet, when he was asked when he would marry, he would remember his unspoken marriage vow to Song Liuli.

His mother would come every now and then to introduce high society ladies to him, but Bai Minglan would refuse to even meet them for a first date. Eventually, his mother used being sick as a reason to force Minglan to marry. However, Bai Minglan didn’t relent. In fact, he went and apologized to his mother. He told her the truth that he no longer has any plans to marry.

“I cannot give my heart to anyone else, Mother.”, Bai Minglan had said while holding his mother’s hand as the latter lay on a hospital bed. “I still cannot forget Song Liuli. It will be unfair to her, to me, and to the woman you’d want me to marry when my heart still strongly shouts her name. I’m sorry.”

With his heartfelt words, his mom had cried for him. Those words also made her understand the weight of Song Liuli in her son’s heart. Mother Bai felt her heart ache for the lonely life his son is leading without his beloved woman.

As Bai Minglan didn’t have a wife nor a family to raise, all the income that his now multinational company earns goes to charity. He has an orphanage named after Liuli. He also sponsored scholarships for fashion design students.

His company and his reputation have grown so much. Normally, this is a source of pride and happiness. But, for Bai Minglan, what use are these when he just feels dead inside?

Years passed by monotonously for him.

At the age of 48, the issue of a successor became even more pressing. Although his mother didn’t pressure him all that much, the board members of his company can’t relax. While some good-naturedly elders advised him to settle down, some directly introduced their daughters or relatives to him for a blind date. Of course, he turned them all down.

“You don’t have to worry about these trivial things.”, Bai Minglan warned with an icy tone during a board meeting when the issue was officially raised. “I have my own arrangements.”

At that time, no one was aware of what Bai Minglan’s plans were regarding his successor. However, they didn’t want to delve deeper into it after they’ve been warned. They don’t want to cross this ruthless CEO, after all.

And then, one fine Saturday morning after he had visited Song Liuli’s grave, Bai Minglan returned to the Bai mansion with a baby boy in his arms. He then declared that the child will be his successor.

Later, when this adopted son was asked how the great tycoon decided to appoint him as his heir and successor, the young man would then reply:

“He found me dumped beside his beloved’s grave. He said that when I opened my eyes to look at him, he thought my eyes looked like his beloved’s. From then on, he treated me as his son.”

9