CHAPTER 10: DREAMING OF HER
433 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reaching the age of 72, Bai Minglan could no longer ignore the results of all the years of abuse he had given to his own body. He had been in and out of the hospital since five years ago.

His adopted son, Bai Liubei, was all ready to take over the company. Despite that, he remained filial and always take the time to accompany Minglan to his checkups. The doctor has already given them the diagnosis. Although Bai Minglan doesn’t have any end-of-life ailments, his body has grown weaker over the years. The fact that he doesn’t have much attachment to life also serves as a slow poison corroding his lifespan.

Although Bai Liubei understands his adopted father’s loneliness, he still patiently coaxed him to eat, drink his medicine, and stay healthy. Shen Tianyi, who was already retired yet still hale and hearty, often accompanies his friend too. Everyone did their best to improve Minglan’s condition and psyche, yet at the back of their mind, they are also preparing for the end that’s to come. Perhaps, it will bring more relief to this lonely man?

Aside from his checkups, the only thing Bai Minglan persevered with is his habit of visiting Liuli’s grave every Saturday. He has never missed a single one of those, as if through his visits, he can lessen Liuli’s ‘hate’ and earn her ‘forgiveness’. He’d often have Liubei or Tianyi accompany him during those visits.

On this day, right after going to the doctor for a checkup, Bai Minglan and Liubei immediately set off towards the cemetery. As the ride was a bit longer, Bai Minglan closed his eyes and rested on the way. Bai Liubei, who was sitting beside him, glanced every now and then at him. In fact, Bai Liubei wanted so much for his father to just go home directly and rest. The older man’s face was already pale from exhaustion. However, he knew he wouldn’t be able to persuade him otherwise. Thus, he only signaled the driver to put on some mellow music to help the older man relax.

Upon reaching the cemetery, Liubei and Minglan’s caregiver worked together to help the older man onto a wheelchair. Once done, Liubei carefully pushed the wheelchair towards where Song Liuli’s grave is. The caregiver followed right behind them while carrying a basket and a bag.

“Dad, I’ll do the cleaning for Mom’s grave today.”, Liubei gently said as they moved forward. “You can just go ahead and talk to Mom.”

Although Song Liuli isn’t Liubei’s biological mother and was neither married to Bai Minglan, he had gotten used to calling her Mom. After all, when he was a child and he’d asked Bai Minglan about his mother, he’d always show him Song Liuli’s pictures. When he came to know the truth, he had already gotten used to calling her that and it would be awkward to change the way he called her too. More than that, he had also treated the deceased Song Liuli as his mother so it was hard to change the habit.

Hearing his words, Bai Minglan only grunted in approval. His gaze was straight ahead and there was a faint excitement in his eyes.

When they reached the grave, Liubei positioned his father’s wheelchair to face the tombstone. He then proceeded to take the stuff from the caregiver and allowed the latter to go back to the car. He wanted to give his father a little bit of privacy with his beloved.

Bai Liubei started cleaning the tomb. There isn’t that much to clean as they had always come here once a week to do so. Yet, he still diligently went on with the task. This, too, had become a habit for him since he has been doing this together with his father ever since he can remember.

Bai Minglan, on the other hand, simply stared at the tombstone. It isn’t that he didn’t want to talk out loud but it is simply because he can’t talk as effortlessly as before. When he talks, he’d be short of breath after a while. Thus, he simply stared ahead and talked in his heart.

He didn’t have much to talk now. It felt as if he had talked to her about all the things he could ever talk about over the past visits. This time, he gradually lost himself in his thoughts as he remembered everything about the Song Liuli of the past - how they met, how she persistently chased after him, how he fell for her. It was good back then.

The whole cemetery was quiet except for the sound of Bai Liubei’s cleaning.

After he was done, he stood up and wiped the sweat off his forehead. He turned around to check on his father, but he saw him with his eyes closed and his head drooping.

Bai Liubei’s suddenly felt his face drained of color. His father’s pale and lifeless face made his heartbeat jump crazily. He didn’t want to think about it but his head was ringing alarm bells.

‘Please, God, not yet!’

He slowly approached his father and called out to him softly.

“Dad?”

Yet the older man didn’t respond. Bai Liubei extended his hand to shake him. He also called out his name much louder this time.

As if startled, the older man woke up and looked at his son confusedly. His glazed eyes seemed to be looking at someone else, thus when his sight cleared up and realized it was his son, a tinge of disappointment momentarily flickered in his eyes.

Bai Liubei felt relieved upon seeing his father waking up. His eyes stung a bit and his nose soured. He felt really afraid back then that this man would be gone just like that. Realizing that he was about to cry, he looked up and stealthily wiped his lashes.

“Are you feeling okay, dad?”, he asked.

His father looked at him momentarily before his gaze landed back into the tombstone in front of him. He then showed a gentle yet lonely smile.

“Son, I dreamt of your mother.”

-------------------------

That night, the entire Bai mansion was filled with flurry. The ambulance was driving into the driveway while close friends and family members of the old tycoon flocked inside. Sobbing was heard all over.

That night, the man of legend in the business world passed away in his sleep.

4