CHAPTER 14: NEGOTIATIONS (INTERLUDE)
504 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“As you may already determined by now, Mr. Bai,”, Lieutenant General Hu Feng opened. “Country M’s military is quite interested in the technology that your company is offering. We believe that it will be a waste if it is used for commercial purpose and be delivered to the common people. Your technology will have better use when it is in the hands of the military.”

“I also agree with your thoughts, Lieutenant General Hu.”, Bai Minglan slowly agreed in a neutral voice. “However, I also have my apprehensions about leaving my technology in the military’s hands. I was even having second thoughts of attending this top-secret conference because I know that my technology is not truly suitable for military purposes.”

“What are you saying, Mr. Bai?”, the other party exclaimed. “With a few updates and modifications, your technology can definitely help the military have smoother operations. Your technology will reach the pinnacle when it comes to ensuring the safety of the country.”

“Mr. Bai, I know that you are currently living in Country A.”, Hu Feng continued. “But you should also remember that your forefathers fought for Country M. Moreover, Country A and Country M aren’t in a hostile relationship so there should be no worries if you entrust your technology to our military. Your company is not affiliated with Country A’s government so it should be okay to partner with us instead.”

“I am not worried about Country A’s reaction if I do agree with partnering with Country M.”, Bai Minglan clarified himself. “I am representing a business entity, thus I am only going to deal with a party who has an interest in what I am offering. Country A didn’t show their interest in Infinit’s product so we are not at fault if we are discussing a collaboration with another party in this manner.”

“However, what I am worried about is whether or not you can ensure that my technology will only be put to good use. I do not want my technology to be used to harm another country, entity, or person. It is better to say that my technology should only be used for defense and not offense.”

“Of course, Mr. Bai.”, the military man immediately agreed. “That is what we hope to use the technology for as well. On behalf of Country M, I can promise that your technology will be used for the common good. We can even draft it up in the partnership contract. My superiors will have no qualms agreeing to this request of yours as it is in line with our objective.”

The two sides further discussed the content of the contract, the scope of the partnership, and the responsibilities of each party. Just like in his last life, Bai Minglan did his best to not give an inch to the other side that is detrimental to his company. Although partnering with Country M is beneficial to his company in all sorts of ways, he knows that he has the upper hand in the negotiations. After all, it is Country M that needs his technology. More than that, his partnership prospect isn’t limited to Country M only. He has other options to choose from, in case negotiating with Country M doesn’t go the way he wants it.

“There is another request that I wish to include in our partnership, Lieutenant-General.” Bai Minglan said. “I will not be giving up full control of the technology I’m passing to Country M.”

The military man was startled at his words.

“This…”, his voice trailed off with hesitation.

“Don’t be mistaken about my intentions.”, Bai Minglan added. “What I want is not to interfere with how Country M will use my technology nor be a spy for Country A. I know that these are your major concerns. I also understand that me not giving up full controls will make you feel uneasy as this will risk your country’s security at my hands. However, what I want is the authority to bypass or revoke Country M’s authorization according to certain conditions. We have already drafted these conditions in the contract. We will wait for your side to discuss whether or not to accept these conditions.”

There is a certain finality in Bai Minglan’s voice that makes it difficult for the military man to deny his request. Of course, since there is nothing wrong with Bai Minglan’s request, Hu Feng also didn’t find any reason to reject it.

The lieutenant general can do nothing but sigh internally. After all, the youngster in front of him has such a momentum that only old industry veterans usually have. In fact, Hu Feng thought that the Bai Minglan in front of him has changed overnight. Perhaps, it may be that yesterday was just a social interaction so dealing with Bai Minglan was quite pleasant. However, now that they are laying their cards on the table, Bai MInglan is showing his wolfish nature, the same nature that is innate to top businessmen.

It took them the entire morning to discuss the details of the partnership. Bai Minglan was able to get the most out of the negotiations, so he also conceded a few rational requests to the other side. Since they are unable to sign the contract today, he only considered it half a success. Only when he receives a signed copy of the contract will Infinit Corp be able to breathe a sigh of relief.

“It was nice meeting with you, Mr. Bai.”, Lieutenant General Hu Feng extended his hands to shake Bai Minglan’s hands. The two were now at the parking lot of the restaurant, about to board their respective cars. “Rest assured, the contract will surely be signed by our superiors.”

“We will await the signed copy at our headquarters then, Lieutenant-General.”, Bai Minglan agreed.

The two shook hands and parted ways. Only when the Lieutenant General has boarded his car did Gu Baicheng spoke up. He had tried his best to reduce his presence so as not to be a disturbance during the negotiations, after all. He only did his best in assisting his boss by passing the contract and taking important notes.

“Should I book for a celebration back at home, Mr. Bai?”, Gu Baicheng said with a smile on his face. Since the contract is already considered as half successful, it shouldn’t be too much to book a table to reward those who’ve participated in this project.

“Yes, you should.”, Bai Minglan agreed. He may not have a visible smile on his face but if you look closely, you can see that he has a happy glint in his eyes signifying that the contract is highly likely to become a big success. “But before you do that, book our tickets to Country A first. Let’s go home.”

4