Chapter 26: Are You Okay, Boo?
4.5k 10 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The statue of the sect leader had a handsome face and gentle aura, much like a wise sage or an imperial scholar, but everyone was fully aware that this was the strongest cultivator on Moon Flower Continent. He led the war against the Ancient Ghost Sect and slain the previous top cultivator. Many of the Nascent Soul daoist masters here remembered that war and instinctively shivered when the sect leader arrived. At the same time, they looked at Tie Wuqing, who also forged his fame in blood and flesh. 

 

Twenty years ago, these two slaughtered their way to the top and led the Immortal Sage Sect to supremacy! 

 

“All of you must have received details regarding the Necropolis Trial already so I will not explain much else. Remember that the time limit is six months. Now, as per tradition, I will recite the three rules that must be followed,” The sect leader said. “No more than one legacy, no stealing from others, and no killing.” 

 

Three gates emerged from the ground and opened up to reveal blue portals. Each gate had a different symbol plastered on top of it. 

 

“The wind symbol is for outer court disciples. The fire symbol is for inner court disciples. The lightning symbol is for core disciples. Step into your portal when you are ready.” 

 

The core disciple group was small so it did not take too long before they all entered their gate. The outer court disciple group was very large so it took a while before they could enter. As for the inner court disciple, it was a gradually process as well. Everyone stood in a single-filed line. Yan Xiaolong was about to join the line as well, but was held back by Tie Wuqing. 

 

“Listen, Xiaolong, you have to remember to return that pocketwatch. No matter what, you have to return it! Do you understand? Don’t look for any legacies. Don’t look to join any groups. Don’t help anyone. Don’t ask for help. Moreover, if you feel something calling for you, or familiar, avoid it at all cost.” Tie Wuqing’s eyes were slightly bloodshot. “Remember, find the room that has a red alter in it. Return the pocketwatch to that alter and get out of the castle as quickly as possible. Then, hole up for the remainder of the time.”  

 

“Yeah, this doesn’t seem very safe. Maybe you should cultivate faster, Uncle.” 

 

“Look, it’s manageable danger. You have that crate so don’t worry too much. Once six months has passed, I can guarantee you any legacy you want. The Immortal Sage Sect will hand over any cultivation art, dao techniques, and spirit stones that you want. This is something that I already discussed with the sect leader. You absolutely, positively must return that pocketwatch. Only bring it out when necessary to guide you.” 

 

“The sect leader is in on this too?” Yan Xiaolong took a sidelong glance at the statue. “Uncle Tie, what is this pocketwatch? What is that black castle?” 

 

“The less you know, the longer you’ll live.” Tie Wuqing’s eyes were stern, unwilling to answer anymore questions. “I can only trust you to complete this task for me.” 

 

Moments later, Yan Xiaolong turned around and entered the gate to the second district. After the disciples from the three groups entered the Necropolis Trial, the Nascent Soul elders set up their own residences in the grassy alternative space. Some chose to recreate their large estates or grand mansions, while others were more humble and transformed the land into small dirt huts or makeshift caves. 

 

Elder Ice-Jade spread her hands out and created a palace of ice on the vast field. It looked very much like the chief palace of Ice Jade Peak. She took quick steps toward the palace, occasionally glancing behind her while nudging her chin. 

 

Tie Wuqing was about to shift the direction of his sword before a voice echoed in his ears. 

 

“Did you give it to him?” It was the sect leader’s voice in the form of a stream of spiritual sense that came from the statue. 

 

Outwardly, Tie Wuqing appeared indifferent, but he replied back with utmost reverence. “Yes, Teacher.” 

 

“Good... That’s good...” The sect leader’s voice trailed off. 

 

“Teacher, are you okay? Should I go out and bring back more ingredients for your medicine?” 

 

“Don’t worry about that. I have more than enough to fully recover. It’s just some minor fatigue from divination. Fate... has been twisting and turning more recently than ever. Three years ago was the last great shift. Before that, it was the war twenty years ago. And before that, it was the incident a hundred years ago...” 

 

“Are we in danger?” 

 

“No, but the world is becoming more chaotic. Fate experience a great shift every now and then, but for so many to happen within the recent years... is very suspicious.” 

 

“Perhaps it will change when the pocketwatch is returned? Maybe when it returns, peace will return as well? He carries the blood of Yan, after all.” 

 

“Perhaps... perhaps...” 

 

......

 

When Yan Xiaolong entered the gate of the fire symbol, he could feel his body traveling great distances at an unprecedented speed. The space around him was pitch black and the wind softly caressed his skin. A light appeared in the distance, and then a new world appeared before his eyes. 

 

He was now in the second district of the Necropolis Trial where the buildings radiated antiquity and majesty. The buildings were made of dark wood with clay-tiled roofs or limestone with sculpted images on the walls. The roads were either layered with stone tiles or concrete. There was no sky above, only earth and spiky rocks that pointed downward. The only light source in this world were the lamp posts. Most of the lamp posts were lit, but either made with spherical, paper lamps or rectangular, glass lamps. 

 

It was a strange combination of styles, as if this ancient city was the fusion between many civilizations. The Necropolis Trial turned out to be an ancient city that was deep, deep underground. 

 

These buildings were not too tall, only five meters high at most. Yan Xiaolong jumped up and landed on a house with clay tiles. In the distance was a giant, metallic wall. Compare to the beautiful architecture of the ancient city, this wall seemed out of place. It was outrageous big, reaching all the way to the ceiling, with dark colors that brought a sense of doom and gloom. 

 

Yan Xiaolong took out a jade-slip that contained a map of the entire ancient city. Each district only had one entrance to the adjacent district. He quickly located his position and then ran across the buildings toward that entrance. His peak-stage Foundation Establishment cultivation base pushed his running speed to the limit. 

 

Generally, being a Foundation Establishment cultivator allowed him to control objects and used them to fly. Sword cultivators would use flying sword techniques to soar through the sky. However, his berserk-type spiritual qi was too overbearing to actually use flying sword techniques at his level. The sword would fly too quickly and he would never be able to control it well unless he was in the Golden Core stage. 

 

It was a minor inconvenience from cultivating the Immovable King's Scripture, however, his running speed was as quick as normal flying swords. Along the way, he saw many terracotta statues that radiated the aura of a Golden Core, or a Nascent Soul, cultivator. Each statue was sculpted differently. 

 

"So many statues, so many daos," He said to himself. "Clearly these cultivators existed eons ago. Some were probably part of the Ancient Ghost Sect, or a dominant sect before that. There are a few here that seem older than the city itself, waiting for a successor. Beautiful, but mortifying as well-" 

 

He slipped and fell face first onto a clay tile. He turned around and saw a thin sheet of ice from where he stepped on. “That’s...” 

 

Suddenly, the surrounding dropped by a few dozen degrees as if winter had arrived. Icicle shards manifested in the air and pointed at him from stabbing distance. A cold blade pressed on his neck while a warm voice rang in his ears. “Are you okay, boo? 

 

111