Chapter 31: This Is A Little Awkward, But…
4.1k 11 108
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The second district’s portal unleashed a beam of light before materializing into Yan Xiaolong. After arriving, the surrounding atmosphere became heavier and forced him onto his knees. His face was a shade paler than usual and he took out a medicinal pill to chew on. 

 

Although his complexion was sickly, his eyes were steely and sharp. 

 

“Xiao Jianshen is far more sinister than Uncle Tie said he was. That bastard definitely struck with killing intent,” He said to himself. “What’s his deal? It’s almost inconceivable how extreme he acted. He's suppose to be insidious and cruel, always relying on wit before his sword and the type to only win. He's in no way a brash person. Did he go crazy or something? The Plague Devil? What kind legacy would make someone so impatient? He even prepared fifty thousand spirit stones as a bribe. Weird...”  

 

Inwardly, he was seething with anger. He could tolerate people who wanted to fight or beat him, but attempting to murder him crossed his bottom line. As far as he was concerned, Xiao Jianshen was now number one on his hit-list. 

 

He even used the Blood Displacement dao technique, a forbidden dao technique that allowed him to switch places with the person at the other end of the Dragon Soul Chain. The cost was some life force, but it was something that he could easily heal with top quality medicinal pills. 

 

“If I get the opportunity after my mission, I’ll find this Plague Devil’s legacy and take it myself to screw with him. Then, I'll send him to reincarnation with that legacy!” Chuckling coldly, Yan Xiaolong quickly made his way to the portal of the fourth district.

 

The third district was similar to the second district, but the buildings were noticeable more exquisite while the statues had stronger auras, which created a heavier atmosphere to all creations here. There were only Nascent Soul-level statues here. However, most contained sermons or insights on the Great Dao rather than a legacy. At this district, there were probably only legacies from a few dozen early-stage Nascent Soul cultivators or a handful of legacies from mid-stage Nascent Soul cultivators. 

 

They were great for people who were in the Foundation Establishment or early-stage Golden Core stage, but none were particularly useful for the top-tier core disciples like Chosens. Yan Xiaolong was not too interested either since none of these statues could possibly hand him a better reward than the one Tie Wuqing promised him. 

 

The third district was smaller than the second district so it did not take him too long to reach the portal. Unfortunately, the portal was dark and wasted. He muttered, "Someone in the third district already used it?" 

 

He scanned the surrounding. There were sword scars, cracks, blood, and other things that told him a battle took place here. Since a battle took place at the second district, it was reasonably that a battle would take place in the third district as well. Although he curious who won the battle here, there was no time to contemplate as a mighty gust of wind sneaked up on him.

 

Unlike Xiao Jianshen's poison needles, this attack was actually backed with Golden Core cultivation power. It lacked killing intent, but was filled with sealing power, much like Tie Wuqing's Nine Swords Imprisonment Seal. 

 

Yan Xiaolong quickly took out a mid-grade Heaven-tier defensive talisman and fled the scene as quickly as possible. When the mighty gust was blocked, his voice echoed across the many buildings. "Who there!?" 

 

"I suggest you leave, Yan Xiaolong of Iron Sword Peak." A female voice responded. "It's fortunate enough that you are the first person from your group to enter the third district, but do not be greedy. If you want to enter the fourth district, you would have fight against the other core disciples. Cultivating the Immovable King's Scripture is not enough to challenge us. That was your first, and only, warning." 

 

This person did not reveal herself. Yan Xiaolong could feel many pairs of eyes staring at him, despite hiding inside one of the marble houses. He took out a few more mid-grade Heaven-tier defensive talismans for reassurance. "Based on her speech, she seems to be from the Immortal Sage Sect. If I had to guess... she must be Senior Sister Joy-Spark." 

 

He continued asking questions, but no matter how he tried to probe her, or any other core disciple, none of them wanted to talk to him. This silence piled up until he picked up on the tense atmosphere and kept himself quiet. 

 

"Everyone is the predator and the prey." Yan Xiaolong sat down and waited. "Whatever, it won't matter after ten days." 

 

He bit his thumb and began drawing the Blood Displacement diagram again. 

 

......

 

Ten days quickly passed by without any major activity. During this time, Yan Xiaolong quietly waited for the others to react while preparing the Blood Displacement diagram, healing his internal injuries, and trying to break apart the ice hoop around his neck. He had never once forgotten about this hoop, but after some time, he realized that he couldn’t destroy it. 

 

“This hoop is somewhat similar to my Sword of Wrath or Dragon Soul Chain. Unless there’s an overwhelming difference in strength, there’s no way for me to break it. All the more reason to reforge my Golden Core.” The sound of weapons clashing turned his attention elsewhere. “They’re starting!” 

 

Above the portal to the fourth district were two figures, each carrying a sword, who moved at such speed that their very forms were blurry to the eyes. When those two arrived, several more figures shot toward the battle as well. In one breath of time, a vicious battle took place between experts that could crumble mountains and drain seas. 

 

“It’s not everyday you get to see a battle between core disciples. Unfortunately, they’re moving way too quickly for me to derive much insights into anything.” He said to himself. 

 

Battles between higher level cultivators were excellent opportunities for lower level cultivators to learn from. It was as valuable as the sermons inside the Nascent Soul statues. However, unless one was gifted with great comprehension, looking at a battle between experts might actually do more than good since they could be accidentally attacked. 

 

Time passed and only two people were fighting left. Whoever was the winner would be the person he would switch places with. Fortunately, it did not take too long before the victor was determined. That person immediately began charging the portal while setting up talismans around himself. Yan Xiaolong grabbed the Dragon Soul Chain and waited for the right opportunity. 

 

However, it was at this moment when the portal suddenly activated and a person materialized from the portal. The victor stared in shock as sand gathered around to form a large hand. That hand grabbed him before transforming into a giant ball of sand. “Why are you-AAYYYYEEEEEEE!!!” 

 

The sand ball shrank into the densest form it could possible go to and then flew away into the distance. The surrounding core disciples and Yan Xiaolong stared in horror as giant waves of sand emerged from the ground and rolled out. It was as if an ancient desert had risen from below. 

 

The sand drowned everything within a thousand meters, sinking a good portion of the third district. Core disciples from around the outskirt of the third district flew over to check the situation while other core disciples were trying crawl their way out the sand. 

 

At the same time, Yan Xiaolong felt a hand grabbing onto his shoulder. He looked over and saw a silver-haired, green-eyed youth looking at him with kindness. “Junior Brother Yan, I-”

 

“Are you looking to die, Shen Daozi!?” Nineteen beams of light appeared from the distance and headed straight toward Yan Xiaolong. One of these beams was faster than the others and aimed at Shen Daozi’s head. 

 

Shen Daozi did not even bother to look at these attack and erected a giant barrier of sand all around him to protect himself and Yan Xiaolong. “It's a little noisy here. Let’s go, Junior Brother!” 

 

Inside the giant barrier, space and time started to shift and churned, much like when everyone entered the Necropolis Trial. Sensing the space and time fluctuation in the barrier, the other core disciples attacked with greater fury. 

 

"He has a spacetime treasure! Don't let them get away!" 

 

"I can't believe he wasted our portal just to get back! And he wants to make a return trip!?" 

 

"Fuck that! Break it open and take Yan Xiaolong hostage!" 

 

Dozens of core disciples were now attacking the sand barrier. Among them was Senior Sister Joy-Spark. As one of the strongest, and the fastest, core disciple present, her attacks dealt massive damage. Moreover, she repeatedly attacked one spot until a visible crack appeared on the barrier. Seeing it, Senior Sister Joy-Spark took a step back and then kicked out. 

 

Bang! 

 

The sand barrier collapsed under her kick, but it was too late. Shen Daozi had already taken away Yan Xiaolong. The core disciples were furious. Using their collective power, they removed all the sand and rediscovered the murky portal. 

 

Senior Sister Joy-Spark arrived at the portal and examined it. "How did he know..." 

 

She turned around and examined the spacetime fluctuation that Shen Daozi left. An idea clicked in her head. 

 

"Everyone, listen up! Shen Daozi must've left something here to watch over the third district such as a spatial node. Since he had a spacetime treasure, it's possible that he left a spatial node in here and the fourth district to teleport around." 

 

"Then why did he used the portal?"  

 

"He clearly did not want anyone else to follow him." 

 

"What if that 'thing' he left was Yan Xiaolong? They're clearly in cahoot!" 

 

"They have to be! Seriously, did anyone see how many defensive talismans Yan Xiaolong had on him!?" 

 

"A pair of cheaters! The Immortal Sage Sect is shameless!" 

 

"Oi! Who the hell said that!? Step the fuck up!" 

 

Everyone raised their doubts and said their thoughts, but no one could make heads or tails of the situation, other than being very frustrated. In the end, they called for a truce and looked around for a spatial node or anything suspicious. 

 

......

 

"Junior Brother Yan, I hope you don't mind the inconvenience." Shen Daozi said as he materialized a set of chairs and a table out of sand. "Please, take a seat." 

 

"No worries... Senior Brother Shen." Yan Xiaolong sat on the sand chair, musing over how warm and comfortable it felt. "Is there something I could do for you, Senior Brother Shen?" 

 

"There's a lot I want to talk to you about, Junior Brother Yan, but first, I want something from you. I understand that this situation is a little awkward, but..." Shen Daozi paused. 

 

"If I remember correctly, this guy's younger brother is Little Shen," Yan Xiaolong thought. "He doesn't seem to be here for revenge, but I can't be sure yet." 

 

Shen Daozi took out a jade-slip and handed it over to Yan Xiaolong. "Eh? This is..." 

 

"...The truth is, I'm a really, really big fan of your work!" 

 

Yan Xiaolong blanked. "Y-You are? You know who I am?" 

 

"Doujin King Yan Yun! Others might not be able to discover your identity, but I certainly can! In fact, it's an open secret among the high-ranking disciples on your true identity." Shen Daozi bowed his head a little. His eyes sparkled like the stars in the sky; his expression brighter than the sun at noon. His hands were even a little sweaty; his knees shook with excitement.  

 

"I understand that this is a little awkward, but... can I please get your autograph?" 

 

108