Chapter 32: Senior Brother, Take Me All The Way!
4.1k 7 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yan Xiaolong's eyes started to water with joy, as if he had saw the first light in the universe. He hurriedly rubbed his eyes, but could not erase his grin. With great haste, he took out a brush and an inkstick to write his autograph over the jade-slip.

 

"Is this what it feels like to meet your fan for the first time?" He thought to himself, completely forgetting the fact that his first fan meeting was also a kidnapping. As he returned the jade-slip to Shen Daozi, the latter respectfully accepted it with both hands. 

 

"Good! Good! Good!" Shen Daozi repeated. "Junior Brother Yan, please, let me treat you to some fine beverages!" 

 

Two cezves appeared on the sand table. He poured a small cup of water into them, then a spoonful of dark brown powder and sugar into each, and finally mixed all the ingredients. As he pushed the cezves into the sand, Yan Xiaolong could feel the table emitting heat, warming up the concoctions. 

 

The drinks slowly started to bubble and then foamed to the top. Shen Daozi swiftly rearranged the cezves and poured out some of the foam into two small cups. He pushed the cezves into the sand again and repeated the process. After two minutes, the drinks were ready. A familiar aroma made its way up Yan Xiaolong's nose, sending off fireworks of emotions into his head. 

 

"This is called sand coffee," Shen Daozi said. "The Shen Clan specializes in making sand coffee, but very few ever had the chance to drink mine. I hope you'll enjoy it, Junior Brother Yan." 

 

Yan Xiaolong picked up the small cup of coffee and downed it all. The coffee was hot, but not enough to actually harm him. A wave of energy and pleasure broke down any fatigue and stress he had. Caffeine rushed into his blood stream like lightning, the sugar attacking his senses like arrows. When he was finished, the deep, strong flavor of the coffee still lingered in his mouth. It was so good that he slapped his thigh in response to the taste. 

 

Shen Daozi finished his coffee in the same way. They both placed down their cups and gave out a relieving sigh. 

 

"Thanks, Senior Brother Shen! That was my taste of coffee in a while." Over a hundred years of memories flashed through Yan Xiaolong mind and he let out a small cough. 

 

"I'm only glad that you enjoyed it, Junior Brother Yan. Now, let's get down to business." Shen Daozi pulled out a golden amulet and passed it off to Yan Xiaolong. The latter caught it and noticed a violet-eyed dragon was engraved onto the amulet. "That is called the Dragon Vortex Seal, a spacetime treasure that can allow you to travel anywhere as long as you placed a spatial node at that place. I've set up spatial nodes all the way to the eighth district. This will help you on your journey to the ninth district and enter the black castle." 

 

"You know?" Yan Xiaolong did not recall Tie Wuqing saying that anyone would help him.

 

"Yes, I do. As for how, I'm not allowed to say, but please consider me a helping hand." Shen Daozi prepared some more cezves to make cups of sand coffee. "We all want you to enter the black castle and return that cursed treasure." 

 

Looking at the amulet with confusion, Yan Xiaolong said, "Senior Brother Shen, I'm not sure how to use this thing. Moreover, I think my mission is filled with plenty of danger. Ah, how about this? Senior brother, you'll take me all the way!" 

 

"I would, junior brother, but it's too difficult. It uses too much energy to carry more than one person. I'll probably be a skeleton before we even reach the ninth district." 

 

"How about just before the ninth district?" 

 

"Nope." 

 

"Tch! What a shame." Yan Xiaolong clicked his tongue and then changed the topic. "Senior Brother Shen, can I ask you what this pocketwatch is?" 

 

"I don't know much, other than the fact that it's a cursed object. An ancient treasure filled with resentment and hatred. It is something that brings power, but will inflict tragedy to all that use it. Apparently, it was used against the Ancient Ghost Sect and was the deciding factor to our sect's victory." 

 

"So this is rather important. Even if it's cursed, shouldn't the sect be able to exorcise any ill will inside of it?" 

 

"I thought so as well, but clearly, its existence is too costly for the sect. I also believe the sect leader is incapable of exorcising it." Shen Daozi passed another cup of sand coffee to Yan Xiaolong. "In the end, it's the will of the sect. I'm only filled with rudimentary knowledge about this cursed treasure because of my position as the Shen Clan's top Chosen and my mission to help you, but not even I'm allowed to privy too much into this thing." 

 

"That's fine. Senior Brother, I would like to ask a favor from you." 

 

"And that is?" 

 

"Please help me get rid of this ice hoop." Yan Xiaolong pointed at his neck. 

 

"No problem." Without question, Shen Daozi reached out and grabbed the ice hoop. Heat gathered around his hand and he attempted to melt the hoop. However, after some time, he retracted his hand. "Ah, I take that back. This is a problem." 

 

"I-Is it that strong?" Yan Xiaolong thought to himself, "How could that be? Han Xiaoling is a minor stage below me!" 

 

"Very strong, in fact. I could use more heat, but that would burn off your neck." Shen Daozi shook his head and passed a cup of sand coffee to Yan Xiaolong. 

 

The pair continued to talk about the pocketwatch, food, coffee, doujins, and other things. At some point, Shen Daozi gave some coffee powder, sugar, water, and a cezve to Yan Xiaolong as a token of friendship. After two hours of enjoying each other's company, Yan Xiaolong activated the Dragon Vortex Seal and left the fourth district without having to go through the portal. 

 

A long time after Yan Xiaolong left, Shen Daozi let out a sigh and collected all the cezves and cups. The sand table and chairs collapsed and Shen Daozi sat by the portal that served as the entrance to the fifth district. 

 

"It's been a while since I felt so... useless. Well, at least I completed my mission." He looked at the wall behind him, as if his gaze could see through space and time at Yan Xiaolong. "Senior brother helped you along the way. In return, junior brother will take Eldest Brother along the way. I did my part, and now it's your turn." 

......

 

With the Dragon Vortex Seal, Yan Xiaolong could quickly pass through the Necropolis Trial without trouble. Apparently, Shen Daozi was strong enough to pass through these many districts with his own strength. 

 

Along the way, he could not help, but marvel at how increasingly beautiful the buildings became. These higher districts had less smaller buildings and more grand estates with empty land. The lower districts were like regions for the peasant class, while the higher districts were home to the ruling class. That idea became more plausible the more he saw. However, it nothing more than a thought. He figured that he should search through old history books to actually find an answer. 

 

Eventually, he reached the entrance to the ninth district. Unlike the other entrances, there were two stone guards beside the portal. They were thirty meters tall, so bulky and thick that they reminded him of Daoist King-Slayer, but obviously, much larger. When he approached the portal, the guards reacted and tightly gripped onto their spears. 

 

Yan Xiaolong took out the Sword of Wrath and slashed his hand, letting blood drip down onto portal. He recited the exact incantation his uncle had told him during their journey to the Necropolis Trial.

 

"Born of dirt, longing for purity,

A song of conquest is one I sing; 

A sacrifice to reclaim my humanity,

With this, my blood is the Yore King's."  

 

Drip. Drip. Drip. 

 

As his blood dripped onto the portal, it glowed with a brilliant red light and stopped the stone guards from moving. The portal was activated, but it did not teleport him to the next district. Instead, the light of the portal traveled to the black wall ahead. The light split sideways, climbed upward, reconnected at the top, and then fell down, creating two large rectangles. 

 

Soon, those rectangles transformed into gates, depicting scenes of event that were both highly detailed, yet incomprehensible. The two stone guards pushed open the gates and blinding light filled his world. The sounds of singing and various instruments entered his ears, echoing a song of praise and victory through the air.

 

"Woah, cool." Absolutely fascinated by the light show, and doped up on sand coffee, Yan Xiaolong stepped forward, entering the ninth district. 

 

 

85