Chapter 57 – A Remnant of the Past
268 11 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reaching the clearing after a few minutes of picking up a few more children, the Clansman dropped us off before flying away with his Crystal Eagle that appeared to be uninjured from yesterday’s bout with the Pyro Bear. Seeing the crowd of children increasing in number with every few minutes, I wondered what we were supposed to do as we just stood in the place where we’d been discarded. Eventually, Liesel appeared in a mad rush while staring wide-eyed in the direction of the Clansman who had just departed.

 

“Argh! That was Leopold! The Captain of the Schwarzerberg Air Corps! Argh, I missed my chance to speak with him! How come you were so lucky to get a ride with him, of all people?! Give me that chance!”

 

As Teival’s instructor continued gushing her grievances and admiration towards the Clansman, I recalled his appearance as I wondered whether she was attracted to him, or not. From my memory, he seemed to have a stern expression on a mature – yet still youthful – ochre face. He seemed to have been dressed in what I assumed was the Air Corps’ regulation attire of a tight, black leather suit with some black crystals embedded in the chest, arms and legs. He had short, cropped black hair that increased his stern and rigid impression.

 

All in all, he wasn’t to my tastes due to how strict he seemed, however I could see the appeal for some people. I mean, Anders was slightly nicer on the eyes but I feel that’s more because he always smiled. However, no one could beat how handsome Victor was from my dreams – with that silver hair and sky blue eyes, “Ahhh, so wonderful.” Now, he got the balance of stern and approachable right! I digress, however…

 

After her sycophantic session was over, Liesel began scanning everyone’s wristbands with a crystal-powered device, while also doing the same for the crystals inside the bags. I was actually surprised to find out that Teival could keep the crystals, but – in the standard Liesel fashion – the instructor refused to explain why when asked. As she continued scanning, the woman offhandedly mentioned how there had been more casualties in this trial than anticipated which piqued my interest.

 

I noticed Armin open his mouth to say something before closing it in hesitance. However, another child in our class asked about what had happened which was met with a pragmatic expression from Liesel. It was interesting to note that she gave a wry smile before mentioning how unforeseen complications arose but was soon covered up by her usual teasing one. I wondered if it had anything to do with the Pyro Bear we saw, then caught sight of Armin and Teival sharing a look with one another which showed I wasn’t the only one thinking along those lines.

 

After standing in the clearing for close to two hours, it seemed that everyone who had come for the trial was present at last. As if on cue, the Head Instructor made her appearance before informing us all that we would be vacating the area immediately due to an increase in threat levels within the vicinity. I watched as the instructors of each class busied themselves in guiding groups of children to the Air Corps crystal beasts.

 

I, personally, wasn’t happy about having to go in the air again, however one small consolation – perhaps – was that I didn’t have to enter a Crystal Pelican’s mouth this time. With Teival and me sitting down at the front corner of the box, I detected a familiar presence take the seat beside my master. Peering around Teival’s leg, I saw Armin and his Feuer Salamander occupying the place next to us. “Why are you with us and not your friends?”

 

As if to mirror my inquiry, Teival asked the same thing, resulting in a blank expression from Armin: “Friends don’t abandon each other when the situation is salvageable.” I wondered if this meant he was going to hang around us from now on – instead of his friends – before concluding that his so-called friendship must have been mighty shallow to so easily be able to ditch each other in times of peril.

 

“…Well, as long as you don’t forget you owe me one for helping you.”

 

I saw the wry smile appear on Armin’s face as he briefly glanced behind him, “Yeah, well…I’d rather have such a bond than have to worry about being stabbed in the back.” Peeking through the seats, I noticed several of Armin’s ex-friends shift a bit and avert their gazes from our direction. I then felt the box we were in rise from the ground, causing me to jump onto Teival’s lap for safety. Luckily, my master soothed me with some soft strokes along my back and tail. “Ah, you’re so thoughtful and kind.”

 

A tremendously powerful roar penetrated the box from the forest, resulting in everyone feeling unsettled by the situation – with nervous chatter filling the compartment. Liesel then clapped her hands to gather our attention before stating there was nothing to worry about as the SAC were already dealing with it. She then thought it would be fun to start light-heartedly singing a cheery song which appeared to calm everyone down. “I see what you’re doing, casting a spell on us!”

 

Distracted by the enchantress, my ears twitched as Armin moved closer to Teival and whispered quietly in his ear: “I bet it’s the Wandering Ghost.”

 

“Excuse me! Some of us are trying to enjoy the music so we don’t remember we’re in the air! Although…if it’s about this Wandering Ghost, then I suppose I could let you off.” Not bothering to cause a fuss, I rested my head on Teival’s knees and listened to the conversation.

 

“What exactly is this Wandering Ghost you keep mentioning?”

 

“Well, if my assumption about this place being Vernarbterwald is correct, then the Wandering Ghost is a remnant of the Traitors.” My ears twitched at the word, ‘Traitors,’ but I didn’t know if it was because I was intrigued or something else – so continued to listen while subconsciously swishing my recovering tail from side to side. I did, however, pick up on Teival’s hesitant silence before responding in his own whisper.

 

“…What is it a remnant of?”

 

“Well, according to the legend I heard from my parents, Vernarbterwald wasn’t originally called that. Instead, its name referenced the beautiful area filled with flowers and vibrant green trees. It wasn’t until the time of the Traitors that the landscape became scarred and more hazardous.”

 

“…What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, there was a great battle that took place there! The Five Clans of Neveah rallied together and fought several key figures within the Traitors there. Apparently, many important Traitors fell in that battle – resulting in their crystal beasts taking refuge in the forest.”

 

I felt a little uncomfortable listening to this, emphasised more by the familiar headache I used to experience, throbbing its way back into my life. I tried to rub my head against Teival’s knee in the hopes it could mitigate it, as my master asked about some things.

 

“…If what you say is true, then how come I didn’t see any chasms or scarred land?”

 

“Well, that’s cos the scars didn’t span the entire forest. Do you have any idea how vast Vernarbterwald is? It spans across three Clan territories! Plus, the neighbouring Himawari and Albmunte Clans have been working hard to restore the land since the Traitors were defeated.”

 

“…Then how about that Wandering Ghost?”

 

I cast a sideways glance at Armin, as I lay on my side, wondering what his answer was going to be. I observed the wry smile he revealed as he sighed while staring at his Feuer Salamander, then at me. “Hmm?”

 

“The legend goes that it’s Tamer was one of the more influential of the Traitors and fell in the battle. Do you know how much pain and anguish a Tamer feels when the connection between them and their crystal beast is severed from death is like? Now imagine that amplified for if the crystal beast outlives its master. I’ve heard of how some commit suicide so they can be with their contractors.”

 

There was a brief silence between Teival and Armin as they both looked at myself and the Feuer Salamander. I nuzzled Teival’s leg while trying to find a comfortable position that would numb the throbbing sensation. Armin then continued:

 

“Anyway, apparently the Wandering Ghost was so distraught over losing its master that it took up residence in the forest and refused to die so it could guard its master’s final resting place. We call it the Wandering Ghost because it should – by all rights – be dead by now…but it keeps on showing up in different locations within the forest.”

 

“…I see…that is an interesting legend your town has.”

 

“I’m more surprised you’d never heard of it.”

 

“…Well…I guess Penfallow is too poor a place to know about it…”

 

As my master conversed with Armin, I pondered over how sad the situation for that Pyro Bear was. I started to imagine a life without Teival in it anymore and found myself experiencing an emptiness at the mere prospect of it. We depended on one another; needed each other to survive. I didn’t want to be separated from Teival. “I don’t want to lose my family again…”

 

Awash with sadness and desolation, I began involuntarily crying. Whimpering a little in my despondent mood, I soon felt Teival’s gentle touch as he stroked my head. “What’s wrong, Kia? It’s okay, you’re safe with me.” My master then soothed my soul with his soft singing as his hand ran through my fur and tail in a steady and calming rhythm.

 

Eventually, I fell asleep, thus didn’t hear any more of the conversation Teival and Armin shared during the rest of the journey. As I slipped into slumber, I couldn’t help thinking about how much I hoped we would never be separated like the Wandering Ghost had been. Thus, I promised myself that I would fight tooth and claw against anyone who attempted to split us apart! With my final thoughts before losing consciousness, I determined Anders as my biggest threat and wished he’d go bald as a warning.

13