Chapter 61 – Return to the City
219 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time that everyone had calmed down from the initial celebration over Adelaide’s success, I noticed a sombre mood pervade the area among the children soon after. I had wondered if this sudden shift in temperament was due to their realisation that the trial was virtually over and the majority of them had little to show for it. As such, I couldn’t help but be hypocritically glad that Otto had directed the class’s attention towards the Zapada Leopard since it meant fewer crystal beasts had been captured overall.

 

With the familiar crystal gong sounding as midnight passed, the Schwarzerberg Air Force swooped down atop their giant crystal beasts from wherever they had been residing after a few minutes. Since there were only eleven people to transport, we were directed towards a single box while the rest of the Clansmen began rigging up the captured crystal beasts for some other mode of transport. It wasn’t until then that I remembered this meant we would be airborne again, which decreased my spirits over not having to capture any more crystal beasts.

 

As such, as soon as Teival had chosen a seat and placed his rear end on it, I promptly jumped onto his lap – despite my larger size – and firmly planted myself there for safety. It seemed that my master didn’t mind me doing this as he simply stroked up and down my back without saying anything – which I deeply appreciated. “Ahh, go lower. To the side a bit. Mmnh. Master is the best!”

 

While I enjoyed the ministrations of my master, my ears couldn’t stop twitching as Armin opened conversation to discuss about the likelihood of Adelaide having the chance to form a contract with the Zapada Leopard. This made me a little uncomfortable, as I recalled the injuries the crystal beast had sustained before being captured. Memories of when Teival formed a contract with me flashed through my mind, causing a small wave of nausea to fill me. “The pain…it hurt. Don’t let the Zapada Leopard experience more agony…”

 

“It won’t happen.” Came the voice of Adelaide a few seats behind us. “The chances are higher that Lord Nikolaus will have it gifted to his son.”

 

I tilted my head in Adelaide’s direction as Teival hesitantly asked: “…Why would it be gifted to someone else, if you caught it…?” I watched as the girl briefly glanced in Otto’s direction, causing me to also observe him. My perfect eyes were met with the sight of the instructor already sleeping with his head leaned back and mouth wide open while snoring. A little bit of drool was sliding out of his mouth as his hands loosely held onto a half-tinkered crystal device he must have been meddling with before setting off.

 

My attention was then brought back to Adelaide who had switched seats so she was beside my master. I observed her lean in close to Teival and Armin before stating in a matter-of-fact way: “It’s how the Schwarzerberg Clan always do things. They give the absolute best things to those at the top. They don’t care if someone else did all the hard work first. The strong trample over the weak, right?”

 

Detecting a bitterness from the girl, I angled myself to examine her better out of curiosity. I was met with two eyes filled with a cold rage: one was dark brown, the other was light blue. “So pretty. Still not as pretty as Victor’s eyes, though.” After making my assessment, I realised how silent Teival had been and so swished my slightly fluffy tail over his arms in case he’d forgotten to respond.

 

“…I’m sorry for asking…I didn’t mean to remind you…”

 

I saw Adelaide shake her head with a wry smile, “Don’t be sorry. It’s just how things are. I caught the Zapada Leopard with the assumption I wouldn’t be able to contract with it…I mean, we’re not even members of the Clan yet.”

 

Rumination over the way the Schwarzerberg Clan did things, I vaguely remembered the dream I had almost a year ago of Lucille going to a market. In my memory, the market seemed to be pretty much the same as the one I ended up in – with a few differences in appearance and layout. However, the overall feel of it being for any person to go in and buy stuff at was exactly the same. With this in mind, I pondered about how Lucille was the daughter of a Clan leader, yet she went to the market herself to choose her crystal beast. “Is it a difference in Clan practices?”

 

Unfortunately, I was brought out of my thoughts as the box we were riding in must have been buffeted by a strong gust of wind. The entire compartment shook violently for a few seconds, causing my already slightly nauseous self to vacate Teival’s lap and vomit on the floor… I have to say, the stares boring into my back were enough to bring me to shame out of embarrassment at what I did. As such, I couldn’t help drooping my ears and tail over showing my master and his peers such a disgraceful sight! “Never again! I swear I’ll never fly in one of these boxes again! This injustice against me shall forever be remembered, I say!”

 

Suffice it to say, my master appeased my despondent self as he chanted a water spell to clean up the evidence of my lack of decorum. Once he was finished, he gathered me up in his arms and sat back in his seat. Hugging me and stroking down my back soothingly, he stopped taking part in Armin and Adelaide’s resumed conversation as he quietly hummed that harmonious tune of his. “Ah, master is so kind and benevolent. Even cleaning up the mess I made and making me feel better.”

 

While enjoying being pandered and pampered by Teival, I nuzzled his neck and rested my head against his chest. Feeling the varied vibrations go through my body as he changed notes and depth, I closed my eyes and snuggled into his arms. After a few minutes of listening, I slipped into a peaceful slumber – having already forgotten about being in a box quite a dangerous distance from the ground.

 

+++

 

Waking up, I discovered myself no longer inside the box but inside the Main Stadium while being carried in Teival’s arms.

 

“Oh, you’re awake, Kia? Want me to put you down?”

 

Hearing Teival’s question, I thought about how I was a lot larger than when we first met and wondered how long he’d been holding me in his arms. I mean, I know he was putting on more muscle than before – due to all the training we kept doing – however, I knew he wouldn’t be able to sustain my weight. With this in mind, I licked his cheek and looked at the ground to show my wish to descend. Following my cue, my master gently placed me on the ground before stroking my head.

 

“I won’t be able to do this much longer, with how fast you’re growing.”

 

“That’s okay! I’ll still snuggle with you in bed!” I responded while wagging my slightly fluffy tail.

 

Since I was free to move around, I observed my surroundings before seeing Otto and the other instructors gathered together while holding their crystal devices and discussing something. After a few minutes of absentmindedly watching them, I heard Armin sidle up to Teival as Felicity sat next to me. Wondering why he had come over, I lay on the ground by my master’s feet so I could eavesdr- ahem, so I could guard my master in case Armin decided to attack him.

 

“They’re probably compiling the data on everyone’s performances in the trial.”

 

“…I hope we did okay…”

 

“You’ll both have done fine!” Adelaide said as I witnessed her confidently walk over with her Wasser Lynx. “You do realise that if I hadn’t caught the Zapada Leopard that I’d have definitely been disqualified, right?”

 

“…What do you mean?” My master asked.

 

My ears twitched as Adelaide gave what I assumed was an exasperated sigh, “I meeean that I only caught one crystal beast before Otto announced about the Zapada Leopard. Since then, I spent the whole time searching for it.”

 

“What?! That’s ridiculous! How did you only manage to catch one in a whole month?!” Armin loudly asked while awkwardly laughing – which resulted in my poor ears suffering from temporary tinnitus due to my close proximity to him. “We managed to catch at least twenty each, right Teival?”

 

“…We didn’t attempt to catch the Zapada Leopard, though…Armin. Everyone else probably did.”

 

Getting bored with the back and forth between a slack-jawed Armin, my quiet Teival, and resolute Adelaide, I changed my position and lay across my master’s feet. I mean, I needed to change vantage points so I could better detect any further dangers to Teival and myself. It’s hard work lazi- looking out! Ahem, shifting my gaze towards the instructors, I noticed they were separating and heading back to their designated class groups.

 

As such, my master and his peers ceased their conversation as Otto approached with a clipboard in hand. Teival’s classmates all gathered around, as the muscled man tugged at his ear piercing while reading whatever was on the clipboard. Once everyone was present, I heard Otto read out six names – none of which belonged to Teival, Armin or Adelaide. After calling those names, he gave his little speech:

“Those who haven’t been called, congratulations on passing the trial! You can head back to your rooms now. You’ll have a week to recuperate before being reassigned to new classes based on your trial ranks. As for those I called out…you’re all disqualified for not catching enough crystal beasts, or for reasons you already know about.” I noticed him blatantly stare at the child who managed to get his contracted crystal beast killed in that scuffle with the others. Turning to observe that child, I saw some tears flow down their cheeks as they hung their head low. “Serves you right for not caring about your partner’s well-being! Humph!”

 

With that, only four remained in our class from the previous ten children. I wondered what future classes would be like if this was to be the average number left from all the classes. As I pondered over such things, Teival and I parted from Armin and Adelaide where we headed back to our room and dumped the items we’d brought with us for the trial. After unloading our baggage, we quickly rushed to the communal washroom where my master gave me a wonderful bath.

 

Feeling fully refreshed after a rather tiring day, Teival and I slunk into bed, snuggled up to one another and fell asleep. I’d love to say that I ruminated over a few things before slipping into slumber, however I must have been far more fatigued than I’d realised. As such, with a blank mind, I went into dreamland.

14