7. Captain Padlock
3.9k 3 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the queue shortened, I noticed that we didn't have an Identification Card. Most of the heroes in front of us were given Identification Cards by their guild so they wouldn't be hindered in their travels. Justine most likely knew about it, but I wondered why she said nothing. Since we were almost next in line, I got nervous.

"Oi! What do we do if we don't have a card? How do we prove that we are heroes without one?" I whispered.

"What do you mean? You already have a card. It's in your void storage. Just hold out your hand and say 'Identification'. Didn't I already tell you this?" Justine whispered.

"Uh...no. Maybe it would be best to fully discuss our situation over lunch. This place is too crowded to discuss our uh... 'sensitive information' if you catch my drift," I whispered.

As Justine and I nodded our heads, I was surprised to see that we agreed on something. However, Captain Padlock was growing impatient.

"What the hell are you guys doing! Bring your IDs or get the fuck out of here!" Padlock said annoyed.

As we walked up to the Captain's booth, we noticed that Captain padlock was drinking from his mug while resting his boots on the table. He seemed to be a rather serious guard, as his face was neutral and his body was chiseled. I could tell from his face that he wasn't someone you wanted to mess with, but this was the same person who was demanding our IDs. I placed my hand in my pocket and muttered 'Identification', which allowed me to discreetly pull the card from my pocket.

As Justine happily handed me her own card, I felt uneasy at her easygoing nature. I could tell Justine was planning something, but I wasn't sure what it was. But as I handed Padlock the Matte-black cards, I noticed that I made a fatal mistake. As padlock casually looked over the cards, he suddenly dropped his mug, as his face became overcome with shock. He quickly stood up from his chair and slammed his hands on the booth's table. He was confused, but he wanted answers.

"Oi! What the hell is this! Are these really your cards?! Don't mess with me!" Padlock shouted.

As the room became dead silent, Padlock noticed that everyone was looking at us. As he grabbed both cards and his cigar, he left the booth. While smoking the fresh cigar, he directed us to follow him. As we walked upstairs, I could tell that the guard's demeanor had changed.

Before I could probe the confused guard for answers, Justine took over.

"Have you never seen a black card before, Padlock? I guess today is your lucky day, isn't it?" Justine said smugly.

"I believe so. I haven't seen one of these cards in a long time. It has to be at least 20 years since I've last seen one. Judging from the Gold insignia, I'm guessing you guys are serving under Goddess Themy? The Goddess Of Justice?" Padlock asked.

"How..how did you know that?" I asked.

"I'm wise, boy. These are magic dense cards that only a God can make. Unlike regular ID cards, these cards have nothing on them except the large insignia of the God who made it. While most civilians are unaware of its existence, there are always enemies in the shadows who will take advantage of this information. We can't have you flashing this card around town, so I'm getting you some special VIP cards you can use in its place. I would suggest visiting the guild master when you are ready. We could always use the help of a Champion, but you can take your time. It's not my place to boss around our legendary savior, right? Anyway, we've made it to my office so give me a moment to retrieve your new cards," Padlock stated.

As the guard handed back our matte-black cards, he entered his office. In the meantime, I had a private chat with Justine.

"What the hell, Justine! Why didn't you tell me these were special cards! You're just getting his hopes up!" I whispered.

"Trust me on this! This is the best course of action! Have I ever led you astray?" Justine whispered.

"Yes! Numerous times! What kind of question is that?" I whispered.

"Think about it! This is a win for us both! We'll need this VIP card once we begin your heroic deeds. But if you really want to be a Merchant, having a VIP card can help you get closer to the wholesale price. Honestly, give your Goddess some praise! Even if you're dead set on being a Merchant, you're still my Champion Of Justice!" Justine whispered.

"Seriously? That's kind of nice, actually. I take back what I said. Maybe you're not so useless...," I whispered.

"Oi! What's that supposed to mean?" Justine said annoyed.

Before I could answer her, Captain Padlock returned with a pair of VIP cards in his hands. With a slight smile on his face, he happily handed us the cards and escorted us down the stairs. Before we could head into town, Padlock had a few parting words.

"If you guys need anything, be sure to ask for Captain Padlock. It's obvious that you guys want to be undercover so I'll respect your wishes. What were your names? Justine and Owen? I'll add you to our security whitelist so we won't get in your way next time. I'll be visiting The Dusty Palm later tonight, so I'll see you guys later. I'm still on duty, unfortunately!" Padlock said sighing.

"Hey! When are you going to approve our entry, old man! We've been waiting down here the whole time!" one of the young heroes said.

"Tch! This 'Old Man' can still kick your ass at the ripe age of 42! Now shut your God damn mouth and be patient! You're embarrassing yourself in front of the ladies!" Padlock shouted.

As we finally exited the guard tower, we walked towards Fayhelm's gate. After we had shown our VIP cards to the gatekeepers, the wood-iron gates swung open, as if they were the doors to opportunity. After taking our first few steps into Fayhelm, I felt my jaw hit the ground.

Justine's information was outdated, as Fayhelm looked more like a city.

Judging from her shocked expression, my assumption was correct.

On a sign that greeted new visitors was the following information:

Welcome To The City Of Fayhelm!

Population: 3,500+

Surprise! There's nothing else like it!

I think people will like Captain Padlock, and the Head captain in charge of him. In the next chapter, Justine and Owen will head over to the Guard office to collect Fred's bounty, and spend it on the things they need most. We also learn that some information that Justine possesses is outdated. We will also be introduced to the rival clans present in Fayhelm.

78