8. Learning The Economy
3.6k 10 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since we showed our VIP cards to the guards earlier, they gave us an enchanted map of Fayhelm. The map worked similarly to a GPS system, as it could not only showcase our current location but give directions as well. On the map, it listed 7 key locations that VIPs would want to visit if they were in Fayhelm. Locations like Main District, Platinum Helm Guild, Clan District, Ironwill, Fay Harbour, Crimson Helm, and the Mayor's Manor were displayed. Since we came from the Northeast entrance, we had a straight shot to the City Guard's office. However, in the 5 minutes since taking our first steps into Fayhelm, we were both bewitched by the City and its culture.

According to Justine, her knowledge of Adrios was mostly derived from her last arrival, which was 25 years ago. The daily information that she received from her angels wasn't enough to keep her updated on the entire continent. While most of the Gods knew the larger events in Adrios, they deemed smaller things like an expanding settlement non-important. We could tell that it was still growing since the population had to be higher than 3,500+, which was written on the sign earlier.

We noticed that Ironwill and Crimson Helm weren't in the City's walls, which meant that both sections had to be newer than the other 5. The city's design wasn't perfect, but that didn't stop it from attracting people to its lands. However, something about the map intrigued me. I brought it up to Justine as we casually walked together.

"Just how fast have they been growing?" I muttered.

"I think we can worry about that stuff later. Do you see that giant building in the city center? That's probably where the Guard's office or City Hall is located. We can check to see if our bounty payment is ready, but we can also sightsee on the way there!" Justine happily said. 

"Yeah, you're probably right. Judging from our current pace, we'll arrive there in 10 minutes. Wouldn't hurt to take our time getting there. Let's hold hands and talk about our profitable future together," I said.

"Wha-? You...you beast! What are you planning to do to me? I mean, you're cute but you're still lewd!" Justine said embarrassed.

"Are you dense, woman? Do you not see all these guys staring at you with pure lust? If you don't want civilians hitting on you, we should act like a couple. It's not like they'll ever have a chance," I said.

"Why's that?" Justine asked.

"You're my Goddess and I'm your Champion. Despite our differences and conflicts, we'll always be together. That's just how it is. Just because I'm a Merchant doesn't mean that I'm indifferent to our bond," I said confidently.

"Wha-? Does...does that mean...," Justine said embarrassed.

"Your personality sucks though!" I teased.

As Justine's face pouted, she kept punching me in the arm. However, I eventually convinced her to hold my hand.

It was warm to the touch.

--------------

While we were making our way towards the Guard's office, Justine and I took in the sights of Fayhelm. Even though we were pretending, it felt like we were actually going on a date. We passed by the various races, cultures, and shops that were in the city, with the shops taking most of my attention. This place was an expanding trading hub with real potential. The faster I can set up shop, the better.

The growth of Fayhelm was most likely due to Fay Harbour, which allowed goods to be traded from distant places with convenience. However, since we were getting close to the City Center, Justine finally gave me a basic explanation of the economy. Using the [Fast Learner] skill, I mentally condensed the information into the following:

Official Adrios Currency
Gold Coins Common The Gold Standard
Platinum Coins Uncommon 1 Plat. = 20 Gold
Adamantite Coins Rare 1 Ada. = 2,000 Gold
Quatinum Coins Legendary 1 Quat. = 200,000 Gold
Appraised Item's Value
C Rank Item Payment: Gold Marketability Score: 2 ROI: Low
C+ Payment: Plat Marketability Score: 4 ROI: Medium Low
B Rank Item Payment: Plat Marketability Score: 6 ROI: Medium
B+  Payment: Ada Marketability Score: 7 ROI: Medium High
A Rank Item Payment: Ada Marketability Score: 8 ROI: High
A+  Payment: Ada Marketability Score: 9 ROI: Very High
S Rank Item Payment: Quat Marketability Score: 10 ROI: Max
S+ Payment: Quat Marketability Score: 10 ROI: Max
SS Rank Item Payment: Quat Marketability Score: 10 ROI: Max
SS+ Payment: Quat Marketability Score: 10 ROI: Max

After I felt confident with the information, I noticed that the City Center had a large, marble statue of what I presumed to be a God. I immediately noticed that the God was the same person who was on the coins, which piqued my interest.

"Oh. They made a statue of Ledos. That's cool. I wonder what he's been up to these days," Justine said candidly.

"Who's Ledos? You sound like you know him personally. I'm guessing he's a friend of yours?" I asked.

"Yup! My mother and I help him in various matters. One of those matters being counterfeit coins. And before you ask, you can't make coins with your 'Creation' ability! All coins made in Adrios have to be given blessings/approved by the Goddess Of Trade and the God Of Wealth. That's part of the reason we have a strong, centralized trading and currency system," Justine said.

"I was wondering how you guys had a central economic system, but I didn't think a God would handle it!" I said surprised.

"Ledos is pretty well-liked amongst mortals and Gods. He is the God Of Wealth. Matter of fact, I'm sure that the two of you would get along immediately. He always prefers to be around people with your type of attributes. I mean, it's no surprise that Luck and Charisma are his favorite stats. He also likes Merchants for...obvious reasons. It may be beneficial to know that his daughter is the Goddess Of Trade. As you can see, she is doing an outstanding job!" Justine said happily.

"Will I ever be able to meet him? It sounds like great minds think alike. Maybe he can give me some tips...," I said curiously.

As we walked into the Guard's Office, we noticed that it had similar queue lines to the Guard Tower. However, the guards here were not only heavily armored but also in greater supply. I ultimately called it a Guard station since it was so similar to a police station. As we cautiously moved into the hero line like before, Justine continued the conversation.

"You'll see him, eventually. It shouldn't be surprising to hear that some of the most wealthy people in Adrios are also corrupt. He'll need our help in the future, but for now, we need to receive our payment from the Head Captain. Looks like her name is Viper," Justine stated.

After waiting in line for a few moments, we could finally talk to the Head Captain. While Viper was an attractive woman, you could tell that she was dangerous. To be the Head Captain of so many muscular soldiers meant that you had to have the strength to back it up. We tried to make the process go smoothly so we could avoid any conflict. We showed our VIP cards before stating our claim to the bounty that Wilhelm brought in.

"Greetings, Captain Viper. We're here to pick up the bounty for Fred and his gang. Wilhelm should have dropped it off for us earlier. Our names are Owen and Justine," I said confidently.

As Captain Viper smiled, she took out her cigar and grabbed the bag of coins under the booth. However, before she handed it over, she spoke to us both.

"Head over to the Mayor's Manor tomorrow. Mr. Wilhelm wants to have a word with you two. I wish you the best of luck," Viper said grinning.

This was more of a foundation chapter. This is all information that we will need to know for later. More information-heavy than usual.

71