9. Fay Harbour [Part 1]
2.9k 6 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After we walked out of the Guard Station, we were unsure of where to go next. Despite our possession of an enchanted map, it could only give directions to the locations listed. Since we were momentarily lost, we sat on one of the benches near Ledos' statue. As I took out the moderately sized leather pouch, I wanted to count how many coins we had to spend. As I told Justine to cup her hands, I emptied the pouch of its currency. A variety of coins in various sizes spilled out.

As I picked up the largest coin, I noticed that it had a purple hue. "Hm. I'm guessing the biggest coin in this bag is the Adamantite coin, right? Looks like we have some platinum and gold coins too," I remarked.

Justine slowly floated her hand over the different coins before talking to me. "Since Fred was only a C+ rank, I'm guessing they added the Adamantite as thanks for saving Sophia. I counted the coins, and it looks like we have 76 at the moment. 1 Adamantite, 25 Platinum, and 50 Gold. With enough Adamantite, you can get most of the things that you need," Justine stated.

"I thought so. Since there are only 4 official coins, Platinum and Adamantite would be used the most, right?" I said.

"Not exactly. Gold, Platinum, Adamantite, and Quatinum coins have sub-categories. These sub-categories contain different types of the main coin. For example, we base all currency in Adrios on the Gold Standard. But if 1 Adamantite coin is equal to 2,000 gold, it would be hard for most adventurers to get their change, right? That's where the sub-categories come in. These sub-categories are called 'Lesser' and 'Greater' coins. Lesser coins have lower value while Greater coins have higher value. While the 4 main coins are controlled by Ledos, the sub-categories are usually distributed by the nations in Adrios. You could think of it as their own national currency," Justine said.

"I think I get it. The national currency has to be approved by Ledos, but they can customize the coins?" I asked.

"Yes. However, since some Merchants don't take certain coins, using Ledos' coin is the safest choice. For example, the elves might have a 'Greater Gold coin' that's worth 10 Gold coins. With Ledos' blessing, they can place whoever they want on the coin and distribute it. However, since it's a national currency, some Merchants may decline it. There's also a limited value range that we allow these coins to be in. Since Ledos' coin dominates, they offer the amounts in-between the 4 main coins," Justine said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"To have a national gold coin approved, it has to be in-between 1-19 gold. Since 1 platinum coin is equal to 20 gold, a gold coin can never go above that value. We can apply the same concept when we go from Platinum to Adamantite, since national Plat can be between 20-1,999 gold. Do you understand it so far?" Justine asked.

"It's a ton of numbers, but I think I understand it. I can't call myself a Merchant if I didn't," I joked.

As Justine eagerly nodded, we got up from the Fountain and walked toward Fay Harbour. Since the Guard's office wasn't too far from the location, the pleasing aroma of food was rather notable. Judging from the cluster of eating locations, I guessed that Fay Harbour was predominantly a Food district. This made sense since it was not only close to the food shipments from the sea, but it was also the first place that ship passengers would enter.

The only buildings that we saw in the district were things like Warehouses, Eating Places, Maritime traders, and even Inns. Since we initially had no idea where we would sleep, the Inns were a significant find. However, Justine and I subconsciously wanted to see the Ocean, as the smell of the sea became increasingly apparent. We inadvertently became familiar with the district's layout as we walked towards the coast.

They impressed Justine with the district, as a group of Demi-human children ran past our feet. "This is a nice district! Despite the Demon threat that's plaguing the continent, morale is rather high around here," she remarked.

I breathed in the maritime air, which was filled with the scent of money, food, and the sea. Personally, I felt that these scents were the indicators of opportunity. "It makes sense. Seems like people are just having a good time and enjoying the sights. I doubt anything bad will-," I said.

"Merchant! A moment of your time, please! We have some business to discuss!" a man shouted.

As we turned around, we saw a group of 10 thugs walking from the shadows of an alley. Since the insignia for Alter Q was prominently displayed on their attire, they were most likely allies of Fred. Justine warned about poking the bear earlier, but I didn't expect the word to travel so quickly. Did they have spies everywhere? Or did we take too long while we were sightseeing? As I dragged out my Desert Eagle, a familiar face placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Do you guys have room for one more? I'm on break so Isabelle would like to play," Isabelle said confidently.

73