Chapter 33 – Leap of Faith
973 7 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Venetus, have you gone insane?" Pallear said.

"Desperate time calls for desperate measure." Venetus stared at the gigantic dragon whose head peered through the rift on the wall, its crescent-shaped pupils stabbing the room with absolute authority.

"You used to hold every life to high regard."

"No one was hurt."

"That's because—"

"I know you'll come."

Pallear gawked at Venetus and sighed. Its eyes swept across the other officers and operators before landing on the badge Venetus held. Its feature reminded Pallear of the Princess of Resolution.

"Still as cunning as always," Pallear said.

"She taught me well."

"At this rate, you'll surpass her someday."

Pallear flapped its wings, generating a gale which erupted into a thunderous tempest. It surged into the city and extinguished the flames, disrupting the Arachna tide by throwing the Arachna into the air and dropping them against the ground.

The temperature dropped as the atmosphere turned bluish. Venetus walked to the edge of the rift and stared at the city. The snow and the mist filled his line of sight as the dark clouds thickened above him.

"General, what was that?"

"I thought the school taught about the dragons."

"But they are a myth."

"Consider this a feast for your eyes," Venetus said. "Call back everyone and start repairing the engine room."

"We have to wait until the temperature cools down first."

"It's doing that for us."

Drops of freezing water fell from the sky, some turning into snows, others into hailstones. The mists gathered into an impenetrable wall surrounding the city.

Venetus looked down and focused on a street. Aside from the ruined buildings and thrashed public properties, the Arachna rampaged and fought against the androids. In the middle of the chaos, a mild wind brushed past the battlefield and caressed everything in its way, leaving a gentle touch of blue on them.

The hue tainted the surface and spread outward. The Arachna wailed in pain as their bodies turned stiff and tumbled. The impact shattered them into pieces of frozen meat. The androids turned stagnant from system shutting down and stood motionless as a milestone of human technology.

"Are the engineers ready?" Venetus said to remind the astonished commander.

The commander shook his head and stared at Venetus in awe. "General, how did you know that thing?"

"It's the dragon that lives in Northern Mistwood. If it didn't help, the city would blow up its homeland."

"Won't it be mad and destroy our city?"

"It would have done that long ago."

"What's stopping it then?"

"Someone resolute." Venetus sighed. "Let's go inside. The weather will turn bad soon."

He headed into the building, listening to the raindrops hitting the floor. Its smell drifted inside the meeting room and filled it with chillness. The lightning set the atmosphere gloomier than it should be.

"Report the casualty to me and begin to clean up the mess as soon as possible. It'll finish soon," Venetus said.

As he went inside, the wind caressed his back. From the gap of the door, he glanced at the mist. A pair of mighty eyes met his. They maintained eye contact for a split second before he broke away and shut the door.

The screaming of the Arachna lessened. The battle closed its curtain, but a certain feeling remained inside his mind. Something didn't click.

"Get me to Specria. Say that it's urgent."

"What if she—"

"Tell her it concerns Ferrum Virgo Manus."

The commander saluted and left, leaving Venetus alone, thinking about what had happened. He sighed before making his way toward the study room to prepare for the incoming call.

...

"Why don't you kill me? What happened to that high and mighty look?" the Spirit said.

She clashed with Paleknight and created waves of colourful sparks. Their power shook the room asunder. Paleknight caught the blade with its hand and thrust its spear at her. The wind whistled. She twisted her body to avoid a direct hit and endure a grazing wound.

She retreated, but Paleknight didn't follow.

"Not speaking anymore?" the Spirit said. "Why don't you give up and let me finish my business?"

Paleknight moved closer to Princess and tilted its spear, its eyes locking at the Spirit.

"Paleknight, kill that thing," Princess commanded.

"Her death will put you in danger."

"I can deal with the Northern Treaty."

"Her Majesty—"

"I won't die."

Paleknight glanced at Princess. She met its gaze while holding Angelica in her arms. Her face revealed the unwavering determination, showing nothing which indicated the agony of the getting burnt by the melting circuit.

"As you command," Paleknight said and took a step forwards.

Its foot laid firm on the ground before exerting its force. The metallic floor cracked and sunk. Debris flew from the impact as a sonic boom echoed out. The vibration punched the room as the compressed air.

Princess clenched her head in pain while she groaned. Angelica struggled out of the restraint and pushed Princess away. Princess didn't have time to think before she leapt to Angelica and pinned her down. They crashed rolling on the floor.

"Wait," the Spirit shouted. "You're breaking the Treaty!"

"Her highness has already issued her command."

Paleknight pushed the Spirit with a swing of its spear. Its after-images exploded into an army of white silhouettes. They snapped at the Spirit with absolute precision.

The Spirit clapped her hands. From her back, vines and petals blossomed into a sea of fragrance. They overflowed countless Paleknights and drowned them in an endless tide.

Paleknights struck their spears and cleaved the sea into sections, splitting the metallic floor into a deep rift and cracking the ceiling. The Spirit flipped her broken wings and fled, but one slash caught her and punctured her hand.

"Once the Dragon Clan is here, you're finished!" She took a step back.

"I'll kill you before that."

The pressure from their parries ruptured the floor and shattered the walls. The residue force injured Princess when she rushed to Angelica. Her right arm went limp as debris pierced her shoulder. It wrecked her carapace before crumbling into pieces.

She swept her gaze and located Angelica, who was lying on the ground. Her body struggled to remain in place, her hands trying to hold onto something to no avail.

Blood dripped from Princess's ears to her lips. She wiped it and gritted her teeth. She rose and sprinted to Angelica, but another quake struck the ship. She tripped and avoided a chunk of metal scraps before standing up and running again.

"Just die," the Spirit yelled.

In front of Princess, a sea of petals bloomed. It crawled to her and filled her vision with the fragrance of death.

Paleknight manifested before her and knocked its spear against the ground, crushing the floor into a pile of rubbles. Its stomp sent the dust flying everywhere. Another quick movement broke the sound barrier and cleared the duststorm.

Princess stumbled while her face distorted under the intense pressure. She heard only buzz and boom as everything slowly faded into static noise, her body swaying from the intense power like a puppet attached to strings. She gazed upfront.

Paleknight vanished and entered another struggle with the Spirit. Though the dust irritated Princess's eyes, she forced herself to find Angelica and kept her eyes open for any danger.

Her tears dripped and mixed with her blood. Its crimson hue turned lighter when blended with the tears. They formed a salty yet sweet liquid that intoxicated Princess when it slipped into her mouth. The pain lightened as her vision blurred.

Her left hand grabbing her right shoulder, she forced her way through the hazy scenery while keeping herself awake by biting her tongue. The sweetness from her blood and tears numbed her senses.

Her eyes darted everywhere, but she only saw filtered lights and overlapping images. Her footsteps rang in screeching noise. Everything flipped and turned and she lost her sense of direction.

She stepped forward and swayed to the side. Though she stumbled, she made progress with every step. Her feet connected with the floor and propelled her frontward. She tilted her body and headed straight and found herself within an arm's length away from Angelica.

A blast of air pressure cut through the floor beside her and ejected stones outward. They forced her to retreat and endure the cutting wounds.

"Angelica . . ." Princess tripped and fell on her back. "Wait for me!"

Her body ached all over, but she turned and pushed her body up with her arms. As she exerted herself, blood seeped from her pierced shoulder and dropped to the floor.

"I'm coming," she whispered.

Her vision mixed the scenery and tears. They turned into a spiral of distortion. She saw Angelica gasping for breath and clenching her neck in pain. She struggled to move as her body gradually turned limbed. Her mouth opened and closed with no words audible leaking out.

Princess closed her eyes and shook her head. Dust and ashes rippled and filled her path with uncertainty and danger, but also hope and faith. She moved her feet and disregarded her pain. Her body jointed from the excruciating misery as she made her leap of faith.

Everything permeated her with tranquil before darkness. The burning subsided as the pain in her body numbed. The noise turned quiet. She felt light and free.

Her mind wandered. Something touched her and filled her body with warmth. She licked her lips—sweet and metallic.

Pain stabbed her awake. Princess snapped her eyes opened and found herself in front of Angelica. The world went silent. Her vision was dried blood-red. She touched her abdomen and looked at her fingers. Blood tainted her dark purple carapace and spread its gory hue across her body.

"Mistress . . ." Angelica mumbled.

"I'm here."

Princess neglected everything and placed her hand on Angelica. Fons flowed from her and entered the circuit. She exhausted herself and almost fell into a slumber, though her determination carried her.

Angelica started to move again after she received the additional Fons. She gasped for breath and attempted to stand up, but she froze when she saw Princess resting her hand on her body. Her movement caused pain to Princess.

Blue light leaked from her body as her circuit spewed out smokes. Princess was depleting her Fons, her gem dimming in intensity. She didn't have time to fill her Fons up after the last depletion.

"Better now?" Princess asked.

"What happened?" Angelica trembled. "Why did you—"

"Everything is all right."

Princess placed Angelica to rest and peeked up to see the figure standing in front of her. Her eyes met with the faceless whiteness then moved to a petite body Paleknight held. Blood dripped from the body and formed a red puddle.

"You did this," Princess said.

"The Spirit is dead, per your command." Paleknight tossed the body to Princess. "Please be careful now."

"You're wicked."

"The Arachna is wicked, your highness."

"I've never seen any Arachna betraying their friend before."

Paleknight reached out to Princess. It grabbed her injured shoulder and squished it. The pain shocked her into groaning. A gush of warmth filled her arm.

Princess narrowed her eyes. The gaping hole on her shoulder mended itself and returned to its soft, fleshy skin. Her flesh was surprisingly pale before rapidly turning dark purple, covered by her reflective carapace.

"It's coming," Paleknight said.

"Leave me be."

Princess stared at the sky through the rift. It shifted its hue from bright orange into a more gloomy, pale tone. The monochrome painted everything with a strange sense of nostalgia.

She stared at the grey fog while sitting beside Angelica, caressing her metallic cheek and transferring Fons into her.

The world shook. A gigantic dragon landed on top of Shifting Mist and tore it into pieces. Its withered body cast a shadow over Princess, its eyes staring at her.

Despite the contest has ended, I'll still release at the same rate of a chapter every 3 days. If you like my work, you can support me by favouriting the chapters and commenting. You can also donate through my Patreon and get early access to some advanced chapters.

35