Chapter 35 – Resonant Aftermath
1k 1 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Venetus stared into the hologram and tapped his fingers on the desk in a constant rhythm. His eyes stared through the screen at Specria, who sat upright with her hands resting on her laps.

"Where are the others?" he said.

"They haven't seen it yet."

"So only we're here."

Specria nodded and waved her hand, filling her surrounding with Fons. It coated the walls, its touch painting the rosy decoration blue with a hint of golden radiance.

"You've improved," Venetus said.

"I've been practising."

"If you're any slower, she'll surpass you."

"She's insane."

"You have the talent. She doesn't."

"Why don't you attempt her feat?"

"I mustn't die."

Venetus clasped his fist. Though he wished to avenge his teacher, he couldn't put his selfishness above what she treasured. The Empire needed his assistance.

"As the brain of The Empire, you mustn't take unnecessary risk." Specria sighed and shook her head. "I understand."

Venetus wearily shook his head. "How's the response?"

"The Board of Science expresses its interest while the Noble Parliament remains silent."

"What about the Imperial Court?"

"They didn't say anything."

"Ironic." Venetus snickered. "They try to silence her. Now she comes back as their enemy."

"It isn't certain yet."

Venetus sharpened his gaze and stared at Specria, unblinking. "I saw her in the broadcast."

"She might not be herself anymore."

"No, her voice is still the same."

"I'll trust—" Specria abruptly stood up. "An emergency, I have to go."

An explosion rocked the building. Venetus gripped the armchair and kept track of the shelves and the piles of documents in the surrounding. The room turned pitch-black before emergency light kicked in with the distress signal echoing from the outside.

The hologram faded into static and filled the room with its monotonous interference. The earthquake laid destruction upon the city, but Venetus remained calm, his eyes staring at the locked door in front of him.

A series of footstep resounded. It crawled to him and stopped in front of the door. From the gap under it, he saw a shadow blocking the light. Its dark silhouette extended beyond the floor and wrapped around the room.

Venetus reached under his desk, his fingers probing for a hidden button before pressing it. Feeling the lifeless atmosphere, he inhaled dense air which froze his lungs.

The door creaked unlock. A gush of wind permeated the room and suffocated him. The frame shifted to reveal a pale silhouette, its faceless mask gazing at him.

Venetus aimed his pistol and pulled the triggered. A bang exploded and choked the room with dust. Behind him, the wall sank and separated, revealing a pair of tesla coils. Venetus kicked the desk and squatted. The coils shot at Paleknight with the electricity of high voltage.

Venetus saw the table split in half as a strong wind grazed his hair. He closed his eyes. The screeching noise of tesla coils rang by his ears. A clang resounded, and the electrocuting cry faded. Darkness greeted Venetus as he opened his eyes.

The light flickered back. Paleknight stood in front of Venetus with its spear raised. It flicked its overheated spear and knocked it against the floor, cracking the metallic material into fragments.

"What are you?"

Paleknight looked at him. "Be honoured."

"You're one of the ancient-graded Arachna? An assassin type, too."

"Any last words?" Paleknight tossed a heated bullet back to Venetus. It landed on his feet and warmed his skin. He sighed and leant against the floor.

"Please tell me," Venetus said. "Is that her?"

Paleknight nodded. "I'm here for her."

"Did she order this?"

"No."

He smiled and closed his eyes. "Make it quick."

The spear pierced through Venetus and sent him into the depth of darkness. The pain assaulted his mind, though serenity numbed his nerves. Despite gradually losing his consciousness, he remained smiling.

The room descended into silence as Paleknight disappeared into nothingness, leaving Venetus to die alone.

...

The God of Light dropped Angelica's headless body and held its blazing sword above her. He positioned the tip above her chest and stabbed down.

"Kill him!" Princess shouted, her throat hollowed.

The golden-edged Fons formed the chains which bound the God of Light, restricting his movement and cracking the sword. Gradually its speed stagnated and declined. Its tip reached Angelica and grazed her chest. Its momentum halted, though the heat melted her battery depository.

"It's over," he said and smiled. "The consequence is served."

Countless meteoric shards pierced the God of Light. He peered through the metallic exterior and smirked at Princess. His violent laughter echoed as his body burst into a firework and razed the surrounding into a sea of flame.

The remaining chains moved to envelop Angelica and lifted her. She floated into Shifting Mist and came to rest in front of Princess.

Princess knelt before Angelica and examined her body. Her hands brushed across her broken arms to her melted chest. The liquid metal caused pain, but it couldn't overcome her intense numbness that denoted a subliminal emptiness in her heart.

"Angelica, can you hear me?" Princess said. "You're broken again. Didn't I tell you to be careful?"

The room was silent. The cold wind caressed Princess, though it was warmer than her.

"You always bring me problems. Because of you, I couldn't leave this vessel. I almost died to the mercenaries thanks to you, too."

Princess rubbed her eyes, tainting her hand with the liquified sorrow.

"You forced me to betray my race, to betray those who saved me, and to betray my friends." Princess cried. Her weep permeated the room. The long, winding corridor echoed her grief throughout Shifting Mist.

"Are you crying?" Princess looked at Angelica's empty, lifeless face. "Don't be. I forgive you."

She raised her hand and punched through Angelica's chest. Her hand sunk into the metal surface and snapped.

"It's all right. I'll bring you back." Her hand trembling, Princess tore the memory panel from Angelica's body. Her blood soaked the motherboard.

"System, connect her to you," Princess said, her voice hoarse.

"Are you sure? She'll be trapped here forever if we succeed."

"Grant her the highest permission I can and share your information with her."

"If she betrayed you, she could freeze me and leave you to die."

"She would never."

"It's your choice. Where would you like to go next? We must leave soon."

"Let's visit my grave, the Field of Desolation."

Princess caressed the motherboard before tossing it into the air. Her gaze remained on it until Shifting Mist took it away from her sight. She continued to stand there. Her thought wandered.

"Do you want to visit City D-34?" Shifting Mist said.

Princess shook her head. "If he knows, he knows. There is no need for further complication."

"To the Field of Desolation we go."

Shifting Mist floated up into the sky. The milky clouds embraced it. Princess stared at the sea of fire. Her eyes swept the scenery of destruction, from the overturned forestry to the crumbled landscape, then to the ruined city.

As for Angelica, Princess wiped tears from her eyes and picked the lifeless body. She didn't choose to pray, for the devils and gods would eventually betray her.

"The God of Light, I'll be back." She held Angelica in her arm.

Her lonely figure, embracing her last friend, disappeared into the darkness. The fortress trapped them together but also protected them from the world outside.

...

"Mistress?" Medoria opened her eyes. She glanced around and found herself sleeping on a medical bed with a field doctor monitoring her condition.

"You're awake," the doctor said.

Medoria sat up, her vision dizzy. "Tell me what happened when I was out."

"After you destroy—" The door of the room swung open. A figure entered the room and gestured at the doctor.

"Doctor, I would like you to leave us some alone time," Specria said, her expression intimidating. He bowed to her before excusing himself away.

"Miss Specria, why are you here?"

"You've reached your limit." Specria grabbed Medoria's hand. "Soon, you'll surpass her."

Medoria averted her gaze. "If only she were still here."

"Listen." Specria clasped the hand. "I have good news and bad news for you."

"Please do tell."

"Before that, promise me you won't do anything rash anymore."

Medoria considered for a second before nodding.

"The good news is that she is still alive," Specria said.

Medoria stared at Specria, her hand trembling. "What?"

"She might still be alive."

"Where is she? How is she? Why didn't she contact us?" Medoria narrowed her eyes and attempted to figure out the truth through eye contact. "What is the bad news?"

"Take a look." Specria handed Medoria a tablet and played a video.

Medoria watched Princess speaking. She tapped the screen, touching the exotic yet familiar face. The manner was so convincing, but her appearance had turned into what she mustn't be. It was like Fate was toying with her.

Fons erupted from Medoria and filled the room with blackness. Everything faded as she suffocated her surrounding with greyness.

"Where is she?" Medoria said through her gritted teeth.

"You're hyperventilating. Are you trying to break your promise?" Specria remained unfazed. "What will happen if she finds out?"

A faint silhouette woke up from her mind. Medoria retrieved her power and took a deep breath. She collapsed in her bed and started crying, rubbing her face on her blanket.

"I'm sorry," Medoria pleaded. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Specria hugged her. "It's fine. Her whereabouts are unknown. Her last known location was in Sector D."

"She's alive. That's all that matter." Medoria tried to hold back her tears.

"I'll organize a meeting in a month. Rest here and don't do anything reckless." Specria patted her. "I promise you: we'll take her back, no matter what."

"I can't wait for a month. What if something bad happens?" Medoria looked at Specria, her eyes teary.

"Nothing bad will happen." Specria giggled.

Medoria didn't have any counter-argument, so she sank into her bed and daydreamed about the future. Little by little, her Fons refined itself as her mental state stabilized.

...

The broadcast ended for the fifteenth time. The man clicked replay and watched it again.

"Wonderful." He paused and zoomed the video.

His hand touched the screen and brushed across Princess's dark purple facial expression. He stared at her azure pupils and smiled.

"They all died, but everything works out in the end." He looked at his broken desk and laughed.

"Send a request to mobilize the myth-class unit. Use my authority as a founding member of the Board to get it done."

"Request sent and approved," the childish A.I. said.

"Good. Tell the team to pinpoint her location. Do not, under any circumstance,  attempt to kill her or her android. She might be the solution to our problem."

The solution to immortality, the solution to world domination—to transcend divinity and to break the cycle—it was destructive yet tempting.

A soft noise rang and pulled the man back to reality, he stared at the announcement and sighed.

"Master, an urgent meeting is at hand. His majesty wishes for all members of the Board and the Parliament to attend."

"The old man is getting impatient." He smiled and stood. "Prepare my formal attire. I'll go wash first."

...

"So you're still alive." Inside the underground network of the Great Races, a dark figure stared at the display.

"Is that her?" another voice said. "As expected of your greatest disciple."

"I'll clean the mess myself." He turned around and met his gaze with others. "No one is allowed to meddle in this. The plan won't be affected."

"How does it feel to kill a potential Authority?"

"I don't regret it. She thoughtlessly played with the taboo."

"Now you pushed her to their camp."

He hung his head low. "We all decide on killing her."

"You're the one—"

"Worry about your business, humans," another voice interjected.

"At least we humans don't kill our disciples."

"We Elementals don't value any intimate relationship. They are problematic and will reach to our downfall."

The Authorities from both camps spread their aura and filled the room with dense Fons, their power slowly rising, each packing power stronger than the force of nature.

"Let's stop the bickering." The Elven Authorities stepped in, their Fons filled the room with tranquillity, though it didn't affect other Authorities in the slightest.

"As I say. I'll finish what I started."

"What will you do with two other potential Authorities? They are her friends."

"No one will know that we move."

"Despicable as always."

"For the Great Races, we're willing to slave away our life."

"Don't we all?" Everyone chuckled.

"If you don't have anything of significance to say, leave." He turned back to stare at the display.

"The last thing," an Elven Authority said. "The Gods and their churches have begun to move."

Everyone fell silent as their thought accelerated.

"It's faster than we anticipated."

"Her revival is a factor we miscalculated."

The human Authority stepped forth. "We humans can accelerate our plan."

"Then we'll push the preparation forward."

All agreed. They bid farewell and disappeared into nothingness, leaving only the Elemental Authority alone.

"Peritia," he said. "You poor soul." His voice echoed throughout the empty underground domain. He gazed into her pair of determined eyes, his eyes icy cold. Still, a hint of profound emotion surged beneath it.

Thanks for the read! If you like my content, please help me by favouriting, rating, or reviewing the story. If you want to see more, you can unlock a few advanced chapters on Patreon. You can also join my Discord if you want to contact me.

25