Chapter 43 – A Game of Chance
698 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Pallear, why did you bring him here?"

Atop the pillars used as the meeting seats, the dragons of various status glared at Pallear and a human beside him. The man walked to the platform in the centre of the room. His expression was indifferent.

"The blood of your race runs through my vein. Is it suffice?"

The dragons whispered in a muffled voice, confused by his statement. Their glowing pupils locked at him as if he was a performer standing in the world-class stage.

"Pallear, you owe me this time," the Red Elder said. "Human, what is your thought? Answer well, or face our wraths."

The Red Elder's words quieted the hall. He swept his gaze across the pillars, his crimson eyes forcing all dragons to submit under his ruling. His shadow enveloped the platform the man stood on.

Pallear lowered his head, his eyes peeking at the man. If not for his exalted position as the Protector of Northern Mistwood, he wouldn't bring the man into the sacred ground of the Dragon Clan.

"The Empire's demand is unnaturally exploitative. I suggest you reject it and propose a better deal."

"They might use this reason to revoke the Northern Treaty and declare war on us. Even the Dragon Clan from the ancient past couldn't match The Empire, let alone us."

"I have my eyes and ears all over The Empire. It couldn't rival your all-inspiring might."

The Elders laughed at the man, their hoarse voice echoing inside the hall. They looked at him with pity, their eyes dimming.

"The Empire you see is but a fraction of the eternal Human Empire. It isn't by luck that The Empire has always stood tall since the beginning." They shuddered under the recollection of the records their ancestors left behind.

The man glanced at Pallear whose face was dumbfounded. He shook his head and sighed.

"Nevermind. My plan doesn't involve fighting The Empire. You'll strike a deal to go to the Root Ceremony with them."

"We don't agree with the Gods, and they don't welcome us."

"You won't be their guests. The Empire wants to meddle with the ceremony. If what you said is true, this is the opportunity you must take."

The dragons discussed at length, leaving the man to wait. He observed the surrounding to kill time. At the ceiling directly above him, a gigantic hole allowed sunlight to illuminate the hall. The gold and treasures displayed on the walls refracted the light into colourful glitters.

The dragons talked about various subjects, though only the selected few took the meeting seriously. They discussed their mundane life, boasting their useless treasures and laughing at the insignificant events they encountered.

Though they were innately strong, the passivity in their nature counteracted their talent. The man lamented at these dragons who mistreated their birth circumstance and lazed away their potential.

"Human, what makes you think your offer can move us? To fight against the Gods is to go against the world. No one would attempt it."

"When the reward is the secret of immortality and Divinity, people are tempted to go against the Gods."

"We've heard of the Vial of Eternity, but legends said there exists only one drop every thousand years."

"Her highness will be there."

The Red Elder flew from his pillar and landed in front of the man. He bent down, his crimson pupils hovering in front of the man. "Are you a prophet? Why are you so sure?"

"The reason doesn't concern you."

The Red Elder exhaled, his scorching breath stung the man, but he remained firm. A silhouette overlapped with him, merging into a vision from the past.

"You resemble her." The Red Elder retreated.

"I want to know the answer. Will you go or not?"

The Elders exchanged their gazes before nodding. They looked at Pallear before shifting their attention to the man. Though he was feeble, his intellect would prove to be useful.

The man smiled before turning to Pallear and went with him. They exited the hall without any regard to the other dragons. The Elders soon left, leaving the naive dragons to turn the place into a social event.

...

"Your decision will change your life forever," Princess said.

"You're a good Arachna, your highness," Ancil said.

"There is no good Arachna, only ruthless and useless Arachna."

Princess looked at Consimia donning in a worn-down cloak, her expression determined. She handed Princess her precious necklace and smiled at Ancil before turning to the gate.

"Your highness, please take care of Ancil for me."

Ancil gazed at Princess, her eyes shifting between her and Consimia. The emotions filled her mouth, but she couldn't convey them.

"Why did you help me?" Princess said.

"You've shown me what it's like to see the world unfiltered. I'm lost since then."

"You should despise me for the massacre."

"I do, but until I find my answer, we're colleagues."

Consimia caressed the ring Princess gave her. The gem embedded in it glowed and dimmed. Inside it was a set of spells Princess created. Consimia took a deep breath and pushed the gate open, revealing the landscape below.

The birds flew across the horizon. Their shadows dropped onto the surface of countless buildings and complexes that towered over the forests.

"As long as you meet them, give them my emblem. They will bring you to the hideout. If anything happens, your safety is the priority."

"Farewell, Princess."

Consimia took a step forward and dropped from the sky. Her silhouette shrank until it became a white dot, merging with the glitters the sun radiated.

Princess closed the gate and sighed. She wore the necklace Consimia gave her before disappearing into the Hall of Rose, leaving Ancil standing alone.

"Please be safe, your highness."

...

Tripeak Mothership moved from the Elemental Labyrinth to the edge of Elementia. The three towers oversaw the landscape below, each peak having a gigantic mechanical eye at the top.

It glided through the clouds and faced a thunderstorm blocking its path. One of the eyes emitted a ray of golden light. It penetrated the storm and dispersed into a burst of Fons, stopping all reactions.

The gloomy atmosphere dissipated. Tripeak Mothership rushed through the clouds and approached the wasteland. It halted as another divine-class vessel appeared on the horizon, spewing the fog that concealed its feature.

Shifting Mist hung above the sky. Its brilliant lustre overshadowed the ruins of wreckages around it. Many artefact-class vessels and military fleets of the Great Races crumbled on the wastelands, forming a danger zone no one dared trespass.

Princess flicked her fingers. The Fons emerged from the collapsed vessels. It lifted a piece of land and modified it into a garden. Princess alighted Shifting Mist. She sat on a marble tea table. Soon a tiny figure descended from Tripeak Mothership. He donned in a scholar robe, holding a thick book.

"Fallen Princess, what is the purpose of your visit?"

"You're the current Grand Scholar? I wish to access the Library of Knowledge."

"The Library isn't a place anyone can enter."

"The Elementals will have my favour."

"We don't lack anything."

"I'll visit the Root Ceremony."

The Grand Scholar looked at his book before turning to Tripeak Mothership. "This matter requires a discussion between the Scholars."

Princess took a sip of her tea and dropped the teacup. It broke into pieces and created a screeching noise. The shards flew everywhere, but they harmed nothing.

"Time claims the hesitated. You should decide the answer by yourself."

"Are you threatening me?"

"My goal doesn't require the destruction of Elementia. As long as we cooperate, I'll help you unravel the truth."

The Grand Scholar opened the book, its pages gleaming blue. His eyes scanned through the text before shifting to Princess.

"I'll place my faith in you, Princess of Resolution."

"Before you go, where is Lord Inemas?"

"The other Authorities are gone. They haven't made any contact with the outside world since your rebirth."

"Tell them that I'll be meeting them very soon."

Princess narrowed her eyes. Her hair fluttered despite the windless scenery. The Divine Fons radiated from her and cracked the platform by its sheer concentration.

The Grand Scholar bounced from the platform and floated to Tripeak Mothership, his gaze studying Princess's power. He gradually shrank into a tiny dot that merged with the divine-class vessel above him.

Princess took a step forward and disappeared. The power of her spell crumbled the platform around her, kicking a sandstorm that shifted the weather. The dust coated the wreckage and concealed Shifting Mist from the outside eyes.

"Gods, you hear me. I'll be joining your festival soon," Princess said, her voice lingering in the sky.

...

A fleet hovered above a complex landscape, casting its shadow over the exotic buildings. The anti-air turrets locked on the fleet before they lowered their barrels. The emblem of the Human Empire revealed the fleet's identity.

It landed on the destinated location. The strong wind generated by its massive engines roared at the hybrid city, sending the echo throughout the landscape. The vines covered metallic structures quivered.

The gate of the vessels opened, revealing a company of generals and commanders. They stepped onto Elementia and greeted the Elementals tasked to welcome them.

The humans attempted to strike up a conversation, but the Elementals didn't have anything in common with them. All subjects they talked were about the scholarly knowledge and the practical war strategies.

After the initial welcome and dealing finished, another group of humans descended from the main vessel. Escorted by the maids, Specria and Medora surveyed the surrounding.

"Lady Specria, we the Elementals welcome you to the hub of knowledge." A pretty Elemental walked to Specria and grasped her hand. "It's our honour to receive your grace."

The Elementals were humanoid beings that glowed in colourful lights. They were the beings composed of Fons with a core in their chest. Their outer appearance resembled humans. As long as their core remained intact, they would never die.

The Elemental's hand was strangely dry despite the slimy texture. Her eyes gleamed with delight as she rambled about Specria's achievement.

"Are there any Scholars here?" Specria said.

The Elemental talking to Specria fell silent and retreated to the line. An Elemental dressed in considerably better quality clothes walked to Specria.

"Lady Specria, Lady Medoria, we welcome you to the Elemental Labyrinth. Please follow us to the guest hall."

"When will the Library of Knowledge open?"

"Please rest assured. The Scholar Council has already approved your visit. Once the Grand Scholar accepts your request, we'll bring you there right away."

Specria glanced at Medoria who nodded. "It's fine for us."

"Before we go to your mansion, please take note that the upper floors of the Library will require an additional mechanism to unseal the gates. When inside, please do not use any Fons. The defensive system will annihilate all who do."

"Could mistress match with the defensive system?" Medoria said.

"If the rumour is true, the Fallen Princess would at least survive against it."

"For someone as strong as her, she should have no problem with it." Specria thought about the recent news she got from the intelligence force. "We should get going. I want to bath before going into a social occasion."

The Scholar guided Medoria and Specria through the maze-like complex. Though they came without any major announcement, the news still circulated inside the upper-echelon of Elementia.

Without any knowledge of the scheme, Specria and Medoria remained relaxed. They went to their mansion and prepared their mind for the upcoming event, not knowing that the power beyond their imagination was watching their every move.

If you like my content, please help me by favouriting, rating, or reviewing the story. If you want to see more, you can unlock a few advanced chapters on Patreon. You can also join my Discord if you want to contact me.

21