Chapter 62 – For the Future
257 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

White ashes circulated the monochrome sky, riding the dry winds across the world. Heated air permeated the surrounding, harvesting countless lives that existed outside of the protection of the Godfall Formation.

The God of Light stabbed his blade onto the charred ground. A bulb of darkness emerged from his shadow and morphed into the God of Darkness, whose chest sank into his body, lacking the heart.

The Goddess of Death's half-torn body twitched. A skeleton arm broke through space and dragged her into the void, stitching her with a murky nylon-like string. She came back through a portal made of a rotten mouth and landed behind the God of Light.

"To indiscriminately kill everything, don't you fear the Originator?" Inemas said.

"We, Heaven, exist for far longer than you could have imagined. Do you think that we have no precaution for the fool who will try to overthrow us?" The God of Light smiled and pointed at the sky. The Originator remained falling.

"Even if we all die today, the world will remember our death. So long as lives continue to exist, the later generation will learn of this very moment. You cannot fight against the tide of history."

The God of Light snickered. "You mortals are the same, no matter how far between your timelines are."

He cut his skin with his blade and raised his hand, letting his blood disperse. They transformed into artificial stars, whose light penetrated the dark sky and brightened the eclipse.

"The difference between us is how far we're willing to go. Global annihilation is a card I'm willing to deal," the God of Light said. "The past should remain in the past. The future doesn't need to concern themselves with what happens today."

"Then why are the relics of the past unwilling to let go?" the First Authority said.

"It is an obligation and a promise."

The artificial stars expanded. Their heat condensed into waves of pulsating Divine Fons. They rapidly collapsed and ejected their mass as the solar flares. Their blazing touch melted all things.

The First Authority willed, and the solar flares slowed. The Godfall Formation spread its power and crashed against the solar flares, diverting their trajectory. They blasted through the sky and left the boundary of the world. Approaching the Originator, they silently vanished from existence.

The First Authority lowered his right hand. Its flesh and skin completely vanished, revealing the pure white bones.

"You sacrifice yourself for the world, and you will die before it ends," the God of Light said and clasped his bloodied hand. Another group of artificial stars emerged from his wound. "Let's see how a miracle will happen without our divine intervention."

The Arachna Queen swung her arm. A flash of light flooded the Holyground and wrapped around the Gods. It clashed against an invisible barrier and nullified them. The second strike hidden behind a layer of blinding light rushed forwards.

A swarm of blizzard assaulted the God of Light. The cold wind of absolute zero stagnated space and time, slowing the world into a grinding halt. Inemas cut his wrist and let the shadow assimilated into his blood. A pentagram emerged above the Holyground and burst into a rift, where a gigantic shadowy hand descended.

It grabbed the space where the Gods stood. Space-time continuum disintegrated as Winter Domain and Light Domain shattered, releasing the Gods from their restrain.

As the dark hand slowly returned into its dimension, a crackling noise seeped out of its grip. The artificial stars detonated and annihilated Shadow Domain, sending its impact above the sky in the form of a mushroom cloud.

The God of Light emerged from the black ashes. His clothes tattered from the intense heat of his stars. His charred left arm held his blade and swung it in front of him, crashing against an invisible forcefield. The mirror-like dimension shattered. Its fragments reflected countless images of the God of Light, sending the same strikes at the real him from different angles.

He swung his hand forwards, splashing his blood to form more stars. They swiftly expanded, but at the moment of implosion, they withered and crumbled like ashes scattered by a gentle wind. The mirrored strikes struck the God of Light and flung him against the Holyground.

A gigantic doll stood at the point of impact and held its needle skywards, stabbing the God of Light through his heart. The air pressure erupted and annihilated the doll, splitting it into an ocean of wool, which absorbed all nearby Fons and Divine Fons.

The Arachna Queen waltzed to the God of Light and thrust her hand at his neck. A scythe intercepted her movement and exploded into a rotten mist. Countless decaying hands stretched towards the Arachna Queen as the Goddess of Death seized her hand.

The darkness descended. The God of Death emerged from the Arachna Queen's shadow and restrained her leg. The Arachna Queen created a field of vines around her, but an artificial star burnt through it and exploded in front of her.

She jumped backwards and landed outside of the parameter. Her scorched carapace ruptured into fragments, revealing her pale skin and green acidic blood.

The God of Light held onto the handle of his blade and supported himself from collapsing. His countless wounds exposed his innards and bones, but the Divinity inside him rapidly rejoined his body. Though his flaming aura dimmed, his face showed no distress.

"If only you could indefinitely use that power, you might be able to force me," the God of Light said before turning to the First Authority. "How many times can you last? It is futile to challenge the foundation backed by millenniums worth of Faith."

The First Authority stood unwavering, but his right arm had disappeared, leaving the arm part of the shirt fluttering with the wind. He stared at his left hand and clasped it.

"My failure will build the foundation for the future," he said before turning to Inemas. "The task of freeing the world from Heaven now rests upon you, good luck."

"What can you do? You haven't improved at all," the God of Light said.

The First Authority looked at the Originator and smiled. He covered the Originator with his palm. As he grabbed its silhouette, his Divinity exploded, tearing his skin apart. The light outshone the eclipsed sun.

"I'll show you my improvement. It is the distillation of my Chaos Domain." Countless timelines resonated under his guidance, forming a cluster of dimensions.

A powerful ripple passed through everything but did no damage, assimilating into reality without any trouble. Chaos Domain encircled the world and pulled everything backwards. Space froze under its influence while time reversed its causality.

The ordinary living beings fell under its power, their memory erased, their body subjected under the reversed flow of time. The Arbiters resisted for a mere moment before they succumbed to the confusion.

Time went backwards for a second, then a minute, and it was getting faster. Only the Authorities could resist the pressure of Chaos Domain.

The God of Light activated his Light Domain to combat the reversal of time. Though he was stronger than the First Authority, the exotic quality of Chaos Domain was something he hadn't anticipated.

"It looks like the gamble works in my favour," the First Authority said, his voice distorted. His body intensely shone, disintegrating into pure Divinity to feed his Chaos Domain. "The Originator indeed is indifferent to the world below."

The Authorities gradually lost control of their memory. The weaker ones knelt against the ground before their bodies faded into the river of time, governed by the law of causality. Only the Gods and the Arachna Queen remained.

"It seems that he trusts me more than his own people," the Arachna Queen said. She didn't need to resist the power of Chaos Domain, for it deliberately ignored her. She took off her masquerade mask and looked at the sky, where Shifting Mist strangely floated. "Peritia, your mother will save you now."

The Goddess of Spring walked to the struggling God of Light. Her eyes glanced at the First Authority, who had become a sphere of pure Divinity.

"Light, looks like you're in trouble," she said. "Remember to take good care of me afterwards."

"Sorry, I've messed up again," the God of Light said. "I'm sorry, but I'll need your help once more."

The Goddess of Spring shook her head. She took out a dagger and slit her throat. Her blood spat out and converted into Spring Domain. She collapsed onto the ground. Her eyes rolled up and disappeared inside her head. Though she sacrificed herself, she could only anchor the Holyground in its place.

The Divinity clashed and nullified the other. The interaction produced waves of time-distorting echoes, which randomly accelerated and decelerated the flow of time.

Chaos Domain reversed the causality of the outer world and undid the heatwaves of the solar flares. The greenery returned to its place as the explosion of the artificial stars flew backwards and condensed at the Holyground, where they deteriorated into oblivion.

The death of countless animals and mythical beasts got undone while the world turned back in time, unaware of any change, except the absence of the ones who remained on the Holyground.

The Authorities suffered the most damage as parts of their memory got lost. Though only some of them died, most of them lost more than half of their power.

The Arachna Queen stared at the death of the Goddess of Spring, her eyes narrowed. She turned to the God of Light, whose face strangely distorted in grief.

"What is the meaning of her words?" the Arachna Queen said.

"Because of my mistake, she dies again," the God of Light said.

The God of Light raised his hand and pointed towards the sun. It vibrated under his command and sent down countless solar flares, aiming at the Holyground with the intensity no weaker than the explosion that wiped the world clean mere minutes ago.

"For her resurrection, I mustn't fail," he said.

9