Chapter 7 – Nanaha vs Urihara
29 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome, you two. It’s nice that you could join us” said Furihara.

The two of them pulled a wheelchair from the corners of the room and dragged them to the round table and sat on it.

“Oh, would you look at that. Number 5, not bad” said Heinessen with a smile.

Nanaha looked at the screen which displayed the names of the candidates. Reading her name and the description of the statistics her jaws droppped.  She was at number five. It was unbelievable.   

She only had conversations with her father about being a ruler when she was just a child.  Ever since middle school however her father would not talk to her about it. It looked to her as if he had already decided upon Aluha and Raaja as his heirs.       

But regardless of all that she was there as a possible candidate and well-liked by the people at that. Of course, if her father was alive he would have chosen one of his three children. But now…

“So, shouldn’t it be obvious that Nanaha is the queen of this country now? Seeing as how she is the only blood heir” said Heinessen with a smug face.

“Do not act so rashly. Even if the king was alive and even if Nanaha is his only flesh and blood, things wouldn’t be so easily decided upon like that. As you have seen from the statistics I now have the favor of the majority. Not to mention I have given my all to serve this country while Nanaha had time to play around.

Her cop duty is respectable but it's just that. Following orders and taking down criminals by brute force thanks to her mage blood. So, would it not make sense for me to be the next heir?” said Yamada Urihara with an elegant tone.

“Nanaha. Got any comeback?” asked Heinessen sarcastically.

“I-I, no. I” stuttered Nanaha and soon quieted into silence.

“And regardless of you pushing her to be the queen, Heinessen. It’s useless if she does not want to be ruler herself” said Urihara with a cold look.

This time Heinessen had to take a fat L. He leaned back onto the chair and waited for her to answer.

“I…I just wanted to help. I’m sorry if I’m being rude and I definitely don’t want to have this power struggle against you. I didn’t mean to-“

“We understand. You do not need to panic and apologize” said Urihara softly.

Nanaha gulped a saliva ball down her throat, nodded then spoke: 

“Mister Urihara. I respect you. Ever since I was a kid I respected and looked up to you. It’s just. I don’t want to let my father down. His legacy, his will. My father always cared for the people. He would work day and night to manage the city and the people’s needs. I can’t sit doing nothing when my sister and my brother took his life and disrespected all his hard work. She said my father was like a tyrant…but I never saw him that way” said Nanaha.

“Nanaha, my dear sister. I understand your pain. But do not burden yourself with this useless duty. I remember my talk with your father well. Your father did not let you mingle with politics because you have the right to be who you are. You do not owe anything to your father, to this state, to this family. You are your own person. A free individual. 

And even if your father influenced you to become a cop. You still enjoyed being one right?”

Nanaha nodded.

“He saw a great passion for goodness and justice within you. And since you’re a mage your powers would naturally be a great help to them. So, Nanaha. Do what you’ve always been doing. Leave the political shenanigans to us. You just be a good policewoman who follows the law and order.

And trust me, your family’s legacy will remain unharmed. We will do everything within our powers not to reveal that your sister and brother were responsible for the murder of your parents and little brother. Even if they have done horrible deeds, their names will not be tarnished. Which means you will not be suspected and shunned for anything too.

You will simply be a lucky survivor from a terrorist attack. And you should continue to live with your free life. The creation of this council is meaningful. Your father did not want to burden their children with the responsibility of ruling a nation if they did not want to. And it’s also for protection. So you and your family wouldn’t be targeted because now the people held the power. Someone would not unjustly rise to power because the council is chosen through the elections.  

So, do not burden yourself, my sister. It may not look like it. But the power struggle between rulers and nations is a hard and dangerous thing.”

Urihara’s voice was soft and soothing. Heinessen still looked at him with contempt within the corner of his eyes. Nanaha looked absently at her chair till she finally nodded.

“Okay, I didn’t want to become the queen anyway. And if you truly did put the work into making others happy, then I would happily support you as our new king” said Nanaha.

Urihara smiled elegantly. They were soon led out of the meeting room. Nanaha walked with a worn-down expression.

“I’m sorry if I let you down mister Heinessen” said Nanaha.

“It’s fine. If anything it was my fault for thinking that you’re willing to go up against them” mumbled Heinessen as he pulled out a cigarette.

Nanaha looked down at the floor but soon spoke up:

“But it’s for the better right? The Majority of people have chosen him to be the leader. And besides, I have no prior training to rule a country. And becoming queen just because of my blood is unfair”.

Heinessen laughed.

“I understand. But don’t be fooled by these politicians and their gentlemanly behavior. There is always something fake about those bastards and how they act. And don’t think experience is such a big problem because it can be easily gained. What can’t be easily gained is the boldness to not get consumed by one’s desires.”   

Saying that Heinessen looked at his cigarette and sighed.                                                                                                      

1