Chapter 339- The Haunted Tower
104 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the carriage of flesh traveled through the lands, the position of the sun itself moved in a strange way across the sky.

It was still afternoon, yet for some strange reason the sun began to set.

"That is..... extremely strange. How interesting.... the sun in this world rises in the North and sets in the South, however for some strange reason it is merely the afternoon, and yet the sun happens to be setting.... in the West."

Trevor gazed at the reddened horizon out the window as he took note of this.

"It seems that the orbit of this planet is a bit different to that of the earth. However, I suppose this also confirms that this is indeed a planet. It is somewhat.... reassuring to know at least that much."

With the new realization that this world was nothing more than the creation of some sort of AI, it was entirely possible that the earth was just an infinitely generated flat land, as if it were a game.

"It wouldn't really matter even if it were something different. At the end of the day, that doesn't really change what we need to do.", Garett stated while crossing his arms. "But the sun is really just going down like that as we travel. I guess this world must be pretty small for things to change so quickly."

"Indeed...."

As the carriage traveled the land became darker and darker, until finally the sun had completely disappeared from their sight.

"And now we have entered a land of night. If I take the curvature into account, aligning it with the spin of this planet relative to the sun..... hm....."

Trevor ran a number of simulations in his head before coming to a conclusion.

"The light of the sun will reach this place exactly one day of the year. Ah, speaking of which, a year on this planet happens to be the same length as a year on earth, fortunately. If that were not the case, it would be a hassle to recalculate the actual age of people around us."

Putting his hand to his chin, Trevor's brows wrinkled.

"Shit..... how did I not take that into account though? I simply took the word of others when they referred to time, however I didn't bother to inquire as to how long a year actually is in this world! The people we have spoken to could very well have been using a completely different set of units as we were, and we wouldn't even have known!!!"

"Isn't it because this world is some sort of computer?", Ashley asked while dangling her spiritual legs back and forth. "I mean.... if it's some AI, then wouldn't it work based off of something we already know?"

"No, that isn't the case. While it is likely that this AI controls the laws of the world, it's own origins don't necessarily have to be of earth. As a matter of fact...."

A chill was sent down Trevor's spine as he remembered something from what seemed to be an entire lifetime ago.

"I am not sure about the rest of you four..... but there was a certain question that was asked during the time in which I was dead in that abyss..... I was asked if I would like to try a new game."

"Oh, I was too.", Garett said.

The eyes of Trevor went wide upon hearing this.

"Could it be..... that earth itself..... our very lives..... everything..... was nothing more than something created by this AI?"

Taken aback by this speculation, Trevor smiled to himself.

"So that is how is was.... that explains so much, and yet so little....."

Trevor looked up with a grin, his own businesslike expression returning to his face as he ran his hand through his hair, smoothing it back.

"Excellent."

"What's up, Theo? Don't keep us waiting.", Garett stated.

"Hahaha..... it truly is simple. Gary, have you not felt it..... the changes in our own hearts from the moment we came to this world? The differences in our very desires as people? It is because from the moment of our existence, our personalities were Determined by this AI. We were assigned traits.... quirks.... everything about us was given to us from the start, and then molded by our own experiences. However, the starting conditions were slightly altered the moment we came to this world."

"I'm lost here. Explain more simply."

Holding out his hands as if he was prepared to receive the entire world into them, Trevor's smile did not diminish a bit.

"Our precepts..... our beliefs..... our tendencies..... Gary, do you recall that time so long ago when you were able to comprehend the language of the wild goblins?"

"I remember.", Garett replied with a nod.

"Do you remember how you became furious when he insulted us? How you were overcome with a burning rage, to the point where you beat that creature senseless?"

"I remember."

"It is truly simple. Let me ask you- would you have ever done such a thing back on earth? For anyone else? Even for your closest friends? Would you have lost control over yourself at that moment, or would you have kept your cool and tried to find a solution?"

Garett tapped his own demonic claw on the arm of his chair as he thought, but responded with a light chuckle.

"Now that you mention it, I suppose I wouldn't have done something like that."

"My woman, would you have ever accepted our own methods so quickly, allowing your reputation to be soiled and your face to be known as that of a villain, in your previous life on earth?"

Samantha closed her eyes in thought, opening them as her lips curled upwards, beholding her fangs.

"I don't think so."

"And to you, Ally. Would you have ever imagined yourself becoming..... what you are right now?"

"There's nothing wrong with what I am now. I've taken about 14000 lives. I've tortured people to the point where they would rather choose hell itself. And I don't feel a single bit of regret. Cause they were all scum either way."

With a light giggle, the green eyes of the girl seemed to glow as if there was a fire inside of them.

"It doesn't matter if the entire world burns if there isn't anyone decent in it, right?"

"But without a doubt, you would never have imagined yourself taking such a position. Were you not too scared to leave your own home before? Look at you now. The very representative of darkness itself."

"Heh heh....."

"And as for myself, I believe that I have changed a bit as well. Before I entered this world, I never would have even considered relying on another. And now look at me. I consider each of you to be just as worthy as myself, and to each of our slaves I would give the entire world to if it meant their happiness. Just how could I have changed so much as a person?"

Folding his hands with a smile, the lights inside the carriage were the only thing that lit up Trevor's face at this point.

"It is because the very essence of this world decided to change our initial conditions, and we were molded through our time here. However, I suppose that does not effect us. After all, we decided this from the start, no?"

Fixing his own tie and pushing up his glasses, Trevor spoke with confidence.

"Our goal is to mold this world into what we want it to be. The AI which seems to control this world does not appear to have a will of it's own. It does not act with the intelligence of a person, but rather as that which decides the rules. To put things simply, it is in our own hands to use our power for what we wish, and the only ones who can truly stop us..... are those who control pieces of this AI."

----

As they traveled through the land of darkness, the light of the stars and the small fires surrounding the carriage were the only things that dotted the landscape with light.

"Wait, I just thought of something. If the AI also had control over the laws of earth, then why can we all of a sudden see these screens, stats, and abilities? Wouldn't we have been able to see them back on earth?", Samantha asked.

"I'm quite impressed. You seem to put much more thought into things these days, my woman. However, think about this. Can the regular people of this world see screens under normal circumstances?"

Putting her finger to her lip, the teal succubus muttered quietly.

"I guess not...."

"The average person cannot see such things. It is only through our partial access to the system that we can see them and present them to the average person as we have done through calling others. It is perhaps safe to assume that there were some people on earth who also held such partial access, but perhaps they were not as empowered as we are, and so it was kept a secret."

"Oh.... what a bunch of shitheads. Earth fucking sucked. If they had the power that we have and didn't use it to change anything, then they must be a bunch of real pieces of work."

"Which would you say is worse? This world, or earth?"

"Mmm.... I guess this world started off worse. But we're doing what we can to change it. So it will end up better.... but only from our perspective of what it means to be better I suppose.", Samantha said with a grin.

"I see."

Trevor nodded, looking out the window once more to see something in the distance.

It was a tower that rose high into the sky.

It was dark so it was barely visible, however Trevor could tell.

"It seems we're coming up on our destination. Is everyone prepared?"

Garett and Samantha nodded, and Ashley slumped up.

"Sure."

Standing up, Trevor walked over to the door before the carriage came to a stop.

Exiting the carriage with class, Trevor held out his hand toward the open door and assisted Samantha as she jumped down lightly.

"Gary.... carry me....."

"Alright."

Hanging her arms over the shoulders of the crimson demon, Ashley floated behind Garett as he jumped down.

Before the four was the building, and in front of the gates which had bats hanging from the bars were two men.

Guards, as per usual.

These men were completely spiritual in being, and even wore ethereal armor and carried similarly incorporeal weapons. They looked on the four with confusion, brandishing their ghoulish scythes.

"Who are you four? Why have you come to the fortress of our queen?", one asked with suspicion.

"State your names and purpose. We will inform the queen of your arrival and if she is willing to speak with you, then you will be given an audience. If you attempt to speak to her without permission, then we will have to drive you from these lands ourselves."

The men were clearly suspicious of the four, however they did not seem to be wierded out by the appearances of the antiheroes as most people of the world were.

"Good evening, gentlemen. Or rather..... good afternoon?"

Rolling back his own sleeve, Trevor revealed a watch which seemed to have been crafted from bones on the hand that wasn't wearing the bracelet.

"My, this darkness is messing with my perception. Please excuse me slip of the tongue there. Ah, but where were we?"

The men continued to watch the four carefully, their weapons drawn and at the ready. They didn't attack immediately, but were clearly on guard.

"Our names? You will not be obtaining those, however we will tell you who we are.", Trevor said as he stepped forward, beaming with confidence. "We are the antiheroes, joint rulers of the Dictatorship and future demon lords of this world. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The guards were put off at the respectful yet dignified performance of the elven figure before them, however what prodded them the most was the implication of these words.

"The antiheroes, you say?"

The men were now even more on guard than before.

"Then I'll ask, antiheroes. Have you come here as an enemy of our queen, or as an ally?"

"That is to be determined. However, I am a man of negotiation. I do not enjoy making enemies without first speaking with them, and as such I would like to have an audience with your queen."

Closing his eyes, Trevor stepped forward.

"However, information is far more important than good relations. I can already tell by your reverence when you speak the name of your queen that you will not so easily divulge information about her. Am I wrong?"

"You are correct in saying so. We would die before leaking anything about our queen to another party."

Samantha stepped forward.

"How loyal. It is too bad that you have already divulged each and every bit of information through your own thoughts and memories."

With a sly smile, Samantha stepped forward and the two men interlocked their scythes, blocking the path.

"Don't move any further, woman!!! What do you think you're doing!?!?!?"

"I was going to see your queen. Was it not obvious?"

"We told you already that we will inform our queen of your arrival!!!! And if she agrees, then we will allow you through!!"

Looking back, a number of men were walking through the yard over to the gates. They all seemed to be soldiers of this small army of spirits as well.

"You two! Inform our queen that these four people who call themselves the antiheroes have arrived and are requesting an audience. Return with the response once you have received it."

Two men saluted and rushed off, and the rest gathered, continuing to form a blockade around the gate.

"We will not allow you to pass until we have received the order from our queen. Until then, stay put!"

"Do you truly believe you have such authority to order us around like that?", Samantha asked.

"Move yourselves. Now."

Immediately the eyes of the men went lifeless and they moved out of the way, preparing a path for the four to walk through.

"It is fine, is it not my dear? We are in no rush. If negotiations are to go well, there is no reason to aggravate our opponent.", Trevor said

"I suppose that is right.....", Samantha agreed, waving her hand.

The eyes of the men gained their life again, and they began to look around in confusion.

"What..... just happened?"

"Why..... did I just obey her orders like that?"

"I.... did I just betray my queen just now?"

"How.... the orders of the queen should be infallible.... there should be nobody in existence who can resist her orders....."

"How interesting.", Samantha said as she waved her hand, creating four seats made from barriers as she plopped herself down with style in one of them.

The other three sat down as well to wait, smiling before the astonished soldiers.

"It seems that this queen of lust holds a set of abilities very similar to my own. Namely.... to take control of people's minds through fervent obsession."

Holding up her demonic hand, Samantha let out a light laugh.

"But it seems that such obsession is so easily broken. Perhaps her charisma hasn't been maxed out?"

----

At the grand double doors on the top floor of the tower, a man and a woman stood on guard.

Just earlier, their queen had been gravely insulted and had entered her own personal quarters to sulk. The fact that such an insult had even come to her own ears was a failure on the part of each and every last spiritual person within this haunted realm, and as such the faces of these two were ones of self loathing.

"I cannot believe we allowed such an insult to be spoken to the face of the queen....."

"Perhaps we should have better regulated those let before her...."

"Do you believe she will ever recover from this?"

"Without a doubt she will. Even so, it is pathetic that she must endure such pain in the first place. As her loyal servants and as the ones that she has devoted her very life to, should we not also have devoted our every ounce to her? How can such a man live with himself after making such a statement...."

The somber mood was one which clearly represented the situation.

Their queen was one worthy of the respect of all, yet she was also sensitive.

She cared deeply about her people who served her so loyally, and as her loyal servants it was their duty to please her in every manner.

"Do you think we should take any action to lighten her mood?"

"Not right now. She is inside the room, and therefore we must not interfere with her. She will come out eventually, and at that time it is our duty to ensure that she is reminded of the happiness she has given to us."

"Of course."

The two nodded in agreement, however soon enough two men rushed forward with urgency in their expressions.

"Four beings..... pant..... have appeared at the gate. Two demons, a spirit like ourselves.....  pant.... huff.... and an elf..... they are calling themselves the antiheroes, and wish to speak to the queen."

"!!"

Looks of surprise came onto the faces of the two who stood guard, as they reluctantly looked back at the door.

"At this time when she is sulking, the very people who she discussed earlier show up!?"

"The queen said that they were not an issue so long as they did not show up on her doorstep, but now they truly have? Have they come to attack?!"

"I don't believe so, as they were not performing any violence when I saw them, but they didn't seem like they would take no for an answer. I think would be best if the queen were to accept such a meeting, however given her current state....."

Looking to one another, the guards nodded.

The female guard knocked and spoke out in a quiet voice.

"My queen..... there are some guests who have arrived at the fortress here.... they call themselves the antiheroes and are requesting an audience with you. What would you like to do?"

For a moment, nothing was heard from the room, and the expressions of the two became sour with concern.

'Is she perhaps ignoring us?', the woman thought.

"My queen...."

"Enter."

Upon hearing the voice of the queen, the face of the female guard was lightened, and she slowly opened the door peeking her head into the room.

Sitting in a large bed and twiddling her thumbs, the spiritual woman wearing a plaid outfit sat.

Her eyes were lightly red from crying, however she seemed to have wiped them up and was sniffling just a bit.

"The.... antiheroes, you said? They have come here?"

Stepping out of her bed, the woman regained her previous queenly posture and stood up straight.

"I see..... so perhaps Huberos was correct after all? They are indeed making attempts to take over the world itself....."

Closing her eyes, the woman's expression changed.

"That is fine. I will speak with them. Allow them into the throne room. I will let them understand that nobody will interfere with my domain."

3