Chapter 361- Theoretically….
98 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'My.... this is an unexpected development indeed..... I never would have expected that Envidia would be.... defeated.'

Avarco stood with a slight look of shock on his face, and a bit of concern could even be made out, though he quickly regained his composure.

'However, a loss is a loss. As a businessman, it would be improper of me to become sentimental about such things. If I am unable to cut my losses and decide with clear mind, then how will I maximize profits? Now then.... the only question remaining is, what to do in this situation?'

Avarco was currently being pressed down by an enormous amount of pressure. His head had been lifted up along with the others to witness as Envidia stood up against the antiheroes- obtaining the power of Ashley through her own skill of Envy, only to be killed shortly afterwards.

'She understood her own abilities far better than Leroy did in the past, and never failed to take their weaknesses into account. It was for this reason that she kept her sister alive at all times, so that her jealousy would never be subsided.'

Looking up, Avarco watched as the four beings of chaos landed before him, gently taking their seats which formed as they sat down from a glassy barrier.

'Yet it seems that they've done something.... to overcome even that lifelong jealousy.'

"What's with that outfit? Kinda strange, don't you think?"

The grating voice of the spiritual being erupted within Avarco's ears, giving him the deep desire to cover them, yet he could not- for he was held into place by a magical force.

"You supposed to be some sort of gentlemanly king or something? Keh heh.... well, I guess that reminds me of a certain elf."

The girl's hair fell over her mad eyes, covering her expression.

However Avarco could still see that horrible smile.

It was a smile filled with a demented desire for destruction and chaos- one which would never be satisfied even if the world itself was destroyed.

"Hehehe.... what to do with you? It's always to fun to decide."

"I'd like to speak with this one. Will you release his vocal chords so that we may converse?", the elven figure asked.

"Alright alright. Always trying to make a deal with everyone. Ah, speaking of which...."

The spiritual girl held out her hand, beckoning the shards which remained of Envidia to float towards her.

The shards, along with a green aura that surrounded them were absorbed into a space which opened up.

"We'll figure out what to do with her later. Keh heh.... as for this one, do what you want."

"Thank you. Now then..... I suppose I will start with an introduction? Perhaps you already know who we are, but I will state it for the purpose of professionalism. We are the antiheroes, and we have come to take over the world."

"My.... such lofty goals. Although, with the position I am in, I would say that I have no right to claim that you are in over your head. Indeed."

Avarco responded curtly.

He felt something resonating within the elven figure before him.

He could feel that they were the same.

"Then.... we should get right to the point, no? We are here to enslave all peoples of this world underneath us. You are.... the Host of Greed, are you not? One of your own has already informed us of the abilities and appearances of each and every one of you, so there is no need to be reserved."

Avarco had a good business sense. When he spoke to people, he could instinctively tell their intentions and whether or not they were bluffing.

The man before him spoke with an absolute confidence.

'This man..... is an extremely skilled negotiator.'

Feeling a pressure that was not magical in nature, Avarco felt something which he had not felt in a long time.

He was cornered.

Not cornered in a battle or in the field of combat, but cornered in a negotiation.

'How many years has it been since I faced an opponent.... who could give me this much of a run for my money?'

With a delighted smile, Avarco responded.

"That is the case. I am Avarco, Host of Greed. A pleasure indeed it is to make your acquaintance."

"Likewise."

The two seemed to hit off immediately, as if they understood each other well.

Without even speaking many words, the elven figure looked to the sky with a slight bit of relief.

"It is certainly a delight to know that there does exist another person in this world who knows how to hold a proper conversation. Now then.... shall we get straight to business?"

"Of course. What is your proposal, antihero?"

Avarco understood well that he was in no spot to take the first proposal, and that the best he could do was fiddle with the fine print.

Even that might be a challenge from this position, but Avarco had no intent to give up so quickly.

"I propose to you a simple deal. Are you not the only remaining leader of the city of Volaciophus?"

"That is the case, now that Envidia has been disposed of. These men and women around me are our warriors, who have decided to fight for their own profit."

There was no need to hide such information from the being before him. Avarco currently stood in a position of power among his people, and allowing the elf to understand such a thing gave him the credibility to stand before him in negotiation.

"I see. Then, my deal is this. Your city will become a part of our dictatorship, and you along with your people will become our minions of chaos. You will obey us with absolute loyalty, and beckon to our every call. The slightest hint of dissidence will be considered a crime worthy of punishment greater than death."

The elven figure grinned in an evil manner as he layed out a completely unreasonable set of terms with such confidence.

As a businessman, Avarco would normally believe this was a use of the technique where one placed an unreasonable set of demands forth in an attempt to make a compromise.

However, Avarco could tell.

This man was not bluffing.

Those eyes stared straight into the eyes of Avarco with greater arrogance than the very Host of Pride himself.

'I.... is he truly this good at bluffing, or is he completely serious about each and every one of those terms? His face.... it tells me that he will not negotiate in the least..... does he really expect me to simply accept such a deal?'

Avarco was stuck at a crossroad.

His own intuition told him that the being before him was not willing to compromise.

However, the logical part of him told him that it had to be a bluff.

There was no chance it wasn't a bluff.

"Now, this is a purely hypothetical statement, so please ensure to take it with less than a singular grain of salt. If, theoretically, I were to not accept such a tempting offer, what exactly would be in store for the city of Volaciophus?"

"From a purely theoretical standpoint?"

"Of course. From a purely theoretical standpoint."

The elven figure before Avarco grinned with such evil that he felt as if he was facing the devil himself.

"Ally. Please give them 5 seconds."

"Roger that."

It was at that moment that an overwhelming amount of pressure overcame each and every person present.

They were already too confined to even so much as speak, however this pressure was far greater than before.

In an instant, the elementals who were spread across the ground shattered into pieces under the terrible pressure.

The flames and magma which enveloped the people began to dissipate, and the life was drained from the eyes of each and every person.

Floating above their heads were gray souls, which only Ashley could see.

"3.....2.....1..... zero."

In another instant, the states were reversed.

Ashley waved a single finger, and Samantha did so as well with a bored expression.

The shards reconnected to themselves, and the souls flew back into the bodies.

Ashley released the pressure on the people so that they were merely held down, and able to speak.

"Agh!!!!!"

"Huff.... huff....huff...."

"Ugh!!!! Agh!!!!!"

Each and every person around the area was hyperventilating or shouting in terror- or both.

"Hehehe..... I gave you all a little tiny taste of death. How did it feel? Was it appetizing? Oh..... it probably wasn't. As a matter of fact, that might have been the worst banquet you've ever attended."

With an ear piercing voice, Ashley's words penetrated the people around her, further terrorizing the people who wanted to desperately grab their throbbing heads in agony.

"Was that good enough? I'm getting kinda tired."

"That was acceptable. Thank you."

Trevor responded with a grin, looking back to Avarco, who also was breathing heavily.

"Urg.... huff.....ugh.... blegh..... ugh....."

"Now then..... theoretically, and this is purely theoretical. If, theoretically you were to reject my offer... then I suppose that could be considered a form of dissidence in of itself."

With a sinister smirk, Trevor stared down at Avarco.

"Did you believe that my words were nothing more than a bluff?"

Looking down at Avarco with complete overwhelming expression, Trevor then spoke with a sarcastic tone.

"Ah, my apologies, Host of Greed. The contract has not yet been formed, and here I am enforcing conditions on you even under the condition that the contract is not formed. How troublesome. What a blunder on my end. I didn't take this into account. How ever could I redeem myself from such a blunder?"

Looking down on Avarco with thinned eyes, Trevor's words held every last bit of sarcasm.

"Ah, I know. If perhaps you were to accept the contract, then it would go into effect, and I would not have to concern myself with the details."

Avarco felt that horrible stare, mocking every piece of his pride as a businessman.

This man was not negotiating.

He was demanding under the pretense of negotiation.

'I.... believed he was a businessman..... that was the feeling I got from him.... was I wrong?'

Looking up at the face of the man, he saw the other three who were also looking down on Avarco.

As if he were nothing more than garbage.

Avarco, one of the seven hosts, was being looked down upon as nothing more than a plaything in the eyes of the antiheroes.

'No..... he is no businessman... a businessman will offer a proposition and two sides will come to mutual agreement.....'

With shivers sent throughout his entire body, Avarco bowed his head.

'This man is not a businessman. He is a dictator.'

"I..... accept your terms."

"Excellent. Work hard for me, slave. Ah.... and it would seem as if your own death has removed your status as a host of sin. How interesting. I will take this into account for future reference."

The pressure on Avarco and all the people around was completely released, and they were free to stand- however many did not.

They shook with fear of death, and didn't dare to move in the presence of their new evil overlords.

'Even Envidia and Avarco were powerless against them..... these antiheroes.... they are not people we can fight.....'

'The seven hosts.... are the most powerful demons in the world..... and they didn't even stand a chance...'

Trembling in terror, tears came to the eyes of the people.

'What.... will become of us?'

"Now then.... I believe there is another loose end to tie up. There are two cities to take over, right?"

The one who said this was Samantha, with a mature smile and elegant tone as she stood up.

Turning around she headed towards Evelyn, who was also laid out on the ground.

Evelyn had not been killed with the rest, and so she did not have the experience of death within her as the others did.

Walking over to the woman, Samantha crouched down with a lovely yet demonic smile.

"Foolish little girl. Don't you see? We've taken care of your enemies. Shouldn't you be grateful to us? Why are you harboring such thoughts?"

----

Evelyn couldn't believe her eyes.

Her sister- the sister who held overwhelming power, who she trained day in and day out only to barely be able to keep up with her attacks, had been defeated.

Not only had she been defeated, but she had been defeated after obtaining a massive amount of power from her own skill.

However this was not all.

Each and every knight had died fighting the flame elementals around her, who had been strengthened by the skill of Avarco- the Host of Greed.

They were not unbeatable by any means, but they were certainly powerful.

It was a fight which Evelyn and her knights stood no chance of winning from the moment it begun, and yet these beings of chaos had jumped in as if it were a fight between two spoiled children, looking down on them with an ultimate authority.

Even moreso than this, each and every member of the army of Volaciophus had been killed.

Slaughtered in mere moments.

And then, brought back to life.

'Just..... who are these people?'

The flame elementals had arrived in the city of Iciclaris to enslave her people.

She had fought to protect them, and her comrades died fighting against these attackers.

Why then, did she feel sympathy for the people before her?

Why then did she feel like the people who attacked this city were the weak who were being bullied by the strong?

'Why..... why would anyone put so many people through such suffering?'

Evelyn was unable to come to terms with this.

She knew well that it was her duty to defeat her sister and to destroy the army before her.

She knew this better than anyone, and yet she felt a great amount of sympathy for them.

She no longer felt the righteous anger which spurred her on before, nor the despair of losing her own comrades.

She merely felt null.

'What.... was the point? If these..... if these beings of evil were just going to hurt everyone, what is the point in fighting for righteousness? What is the point in even trying to protect anyone?'

It was then that the succubus approached Evelyn, crouching down with a beautiful smile.

"Foolish little girl. Don't you see? We've taken care of your enemies. Shouldn't you be grateful to us? Why are you harboring such thoughts?"

Evelyn looked up to that demon.

The words put her at ease, but Evelyn did not know how to respond to them.

"You call this....  taking care of our enemies?"

"Don't mistake us. It just so happens that the people who acted as your enemies were the first ones we targeted. Listen up, little bitch. If you don't comply with us, then you're next. Do you want your people to experience the same thing as those others, because you tried to stand up against us?"

The succubus said these horrible words with the kindest tone before leaning into the ear of Evelyn.

"Is that your form of justice?"

Evelyn's eyes went wide as she heard this statement.

Truly faced with no choice, the facts were laid out before her.

These were beings of chaos who cared not for the lives of those around them in the least.

They were calamities which could not be stopped by any force of this world, and rising against them in a moment of heroism would only lead to the suffering of many others.

Evelyn was a knight.

It was her duty to protect people from harm.

And yet, she was weak.

She lacked the strength to defend her people.

She lacked the capability to stand up against this threat.

What then, would she do?

Would she cling to her ideals, standing up and facing them even if it lead to her death?

Perhaps if it was her death alone, then she would have tried to do so.

But right now, her own life was not the only thing which lay in the balance.

This demon threatened her with the lives of each and every person in the city.

The children she had spoken to just earlier in the Academy.

The parents and hard working citizens.

The innocent people who lived their peaceful lives without issue.

Everything was being dangled before her, and if she were to even so much as let out a sigh the string would be cut, dropping it into a pit of hellish flames.

"I... will do what you wish....."

"That's a good little slave. Now then... I want you to be the one who presents us to your people as their new dictators. You will give us your full support, and present us appropriately."

"Understood...."

Evelyn agreed to the task, with heavy heart.

There was no winning.

She had lost.

Even so, she could not live with the guilt of having caused other people needless harm.

'I will.... choose the path which causes everyone the least amount of grief. That is.... all I can do in my weak state.'

"See? It seems like you do understand. That's all we want."

Samantha stood up, turning back to line up with the antiheroes.

Her dress flared as she took her spot, turning around with a seductive smile, placing a single finger to her lip and thinning her eyes.

The elf next to her slicked back his hair with one hand as he checked the time, looking to his watch before glaring over at the city of ice before them.

The chairs which were made from barriers disappeared, and the crimson demon held out a hand, touching it to the ground as he bent down.

"Look at all this destruction. Pretty messy, isn't it? Let's fix this up."

[Equivalent exchange]

The craters which had been formed from the explosions and the horrors which had been realized across the battlefield were fixed in a moment as the soil filled up the spaces, being replaced with the same green grass as before.

"Ah, I suppose that looks a little too good..... perhaps I should make it die?"

The green grass then turned a pitch black, and this black grass spread itself through the area as if an aura of death and withering had been instilled in the land.

"That's more our style. What do you think, Ally?"

"Heheh..... I think it looks beautiful. Though the snow will cover it up once it starts again."

"Well, good enough for now."

Standing up, the four began to walk towards the city, notioning for Evelyn to stand.

The succubus looked over at her with a condescending glare, walking with grace in each step.

"We're just pulling off the band aid in one swipe. It will hurt a bit at first, but nowhere near as much as if you draw the suffering out over a lifetime."

----

2