Chapter 370- Feeling the Wind
75 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The woman turned around without looking back, heading out of the palace without so much as being dismissed.

"Come on, Indeterminant. Are you going to sit there all day bowing? Or do we have a world to save?"

Ignoring the minefield that she was treading through, Risa was filled with a strange determination.

Oscar rose his head, giving the Sultan and the Pashas an apologetic look.

"It is as the hero says. The fact of the matter is, even as we speak terrible things may be happening all over the world- and it is our duty as heroes to do everything we can to assist as many people as possible. Therefore, we will be taking our leave with the good news. I can assure you that soon enough there will be caravans containing grain and food supplies arriving in this nation. I will personally ensure that the Emperor will follow through on his word."

The Sultan looked at the hero with a nod, smiling with gratitude.

"Thank you, Indeterminant. I will put all my trust in you. You and the hero have saved our nation through your actions, and I will never forget this debt."

"Please do not worry about paying me back. After all, the only thing I have done is carry the message.", Oscar stated with maturity.

"Even if he doesn't want a reward, I expect you to pay me back later.", Risa added while pointing to Oscar. "After all, I'm putting my own body on the line for this."

'The nerve....'

With that final statement, irking further anger in the two men who were especially annoyed, the two took their leave.

Left alone, the men continued their meeting.

Sitting down, the Sultan looked around the table, eyeballing the two who were rude in particular.

"Are you trying to destroy this country?"

"I should be asking the same of you."

The two held their breath, at a standoff with the Sultan.

While it was true that the Sultan held the final say in politics, those who held the rank of Pasha were not so powerless that they could not voice disapproval in the actions of the Sultan.

"Sultan Lakeed, what would you have done if she had refused?"

"And what would you have done if she had refused as a result of forcing her?"

"We would have forced her anyways."

Responding to the Sultan immediately, the Pasha tapped his fingers on the table with impatience as he asserted his opinion.

"Do you believe we hold the power to do so?"

Closing his eyes, the Sultan bolstered himself before speaking to all present.

"The position of hero is not one to be underestimated. I know that there are some among you who may be displeased at the fact that the hero of our nation is a woman, however this would suggest that anyone could be selected as a hero. Do you know what this means?"

The other men were silenced as they listened to the words of the Sultan.

"It means that the hero is nothing more than a regular person who has been granted extraordinary powers. Essentially, without proper training, motivation, and willpower, the hero will not be able to reach their full potential. You heard the words of the Indeterminant. These heroes are not natural born. They are made. And as a result of that, there is the possibility of failing to make a hero."

The eyes of the men around the Sultan went wide as he suggested something so controversial.

The fact that the hero was not necessarily someone who would naturally cling to justice, but rather simply a regular person who had been granted power.

"Which is exactly why we cannot afford to press our hero in the same manner the people of the Kingdom did. We must accommodate to her demands- not the other way around."

"But Sultan!!! It is her duty!!!!"

"If she refuses to take on the duty that has been naturally given to her, then she is nothing less than a complete failure!!!"

The two men protested, insisting that it was the responsibility of the hero to find their own path.

They clung to the thoughts that if someone was chosen as a hero, that they would just magically become a heroic person.

If they failed to do so, they were nothing more than an impostor.

"And so we should simply push our weight around, driving the hero into a corner because 'they should be able to handle it if they're the hero'? And when they are unable to handle it, we make excuses instead of solutions?"

The Sultan slammed his fist on the table, causing a rattling which sent vibrations through the bodies of each man present.

"I will have no such thing happen so long as I remain Sultan of this nation."

Closing his eyes, the Sultan looked around to the men.

"That will be the final word on that topic. Let us move onto the next issue. It may be up to a week before the arrival of said caravans, and even then it is unsure how much grain we will receive. Even with the aid of the Empire, we must continue to hope that the drought will end- and do what we can with what we have. For the meantime, prepare our armies. Send word that all warriors with the exception of basic defenses at each city are to make their way here to the Capital. We will then make an offer to the Emperor that if he is willing to provide food for our armies, that we will lend them to him for use along with the hero."

"Oh, I see...."

"That is a wonderful idea, Sultan. By doing so we can reduce the amount of food domestically consumed, and it will allow us to escape any notion of falling in debt to another nation. Even if our defenses have been weakened, there is no strength in a starving army- therefore this will actually allow those who do stay behind to better defend our cities."

The men nodded in approval, agreeing to this proposal.

"That is true. As much as I hate to send our soldiers off for the sake of another nation's issues, it is the correct move."

"Indeed."

Having all come to an agreement, the meeting was dismissed.

The men left, each of them heading out to where their extravagant camels were parked.

They moved out with their respective guards, each heading back to their own domains.

----

"You walk slow. Are you actually focused?"

"I was just taking a look at the sights. After all, what if something were to happen all of a sudden, and I were to miss it because I left so quickly? Why don't we stay here for another day. You can take your time to prepare yourself, and I will be able to get a better read of the situation here."

Risa thinned her eyes, clearly suspicious.

"You really are suspicious of everyone. I just told you the reason, didn't I?"

"Doubting everything is a good trait to have. One that you should take on for yourself.", Risa replied, heading in the direction of her own home as Oscar walked alongside her.

"I think that's a good thing. However, there is such thing as too suspicious. If you doubt everyone, why would you want to help them?"

The words of Oscar struck Risa with surprise, causing her to stop in her tracks as she thought.

"I....."

"I might have said something that jogged a bad memory. I apologize about that. However, you should give it some thought. After all, if you look at everyone with those eyes, they'll hate you."

"So what if they hate me?"

"You were sad when you saw those two die. Did you trust them when they were alive?"

Oscar continued to prod, despite going past a clear line.

"No. I didn't. I knew them, but I didn't trust them, because I don't trust anyone."

"But you were sad over their deaths. I might be saying too much here, but I think that is because you truly did trust them, even if you didn't admit it. And doesn't that go for everyone else you want to save?"

Oscar looked down as he spoke, with a bitter smile.

"There have been people that I was unable to save, and people that I didn't even notice were in need of saving. And when I think about them..... especially about the hero of the Ruthobold Kingdom, I can't help but think.... it was my fault, wasn't it? I was right there. I was by his side. And yet, I couldn't do anything."

These were not Oscar's true feelings in the least.

Oscar spoke with perfect acting, his facial expressions matching his words flawlessly as he showed a side of him which didn't exist to the woman next to him.

"I made a mistake. And I need to own up to it, and repair it myself. And now I'm dragging you and the hero of the Empire into my own mistake. Right now, I should instead be searching for the hero of the Alliance, uniting the four heroes and heading off on a campaign into the monster realm to face the Queen of Demons and her antiheroes, but instead....."

"I get it. That's enough."

With an annoyed sigh, Risa blew her own bangs as they fluttered.

"I'll help you. Because I want to. But that doesn't mean I trust you. Although, there is no need to stay here any longer. I will pack and we will leave immediately. There isn't a moment to waste."

The woman stepped forward, and Oscar matched her pace.

"Are you sure about that? I understand that this whole hero thing is new to you, and that you might need to mentally prepare-"

"I'm fine. Now stop stalling me."

The woman responded without any hesitation, heading towards her own home.

It was decided.

The two would leave that night, and with all haste head to the Empire.

Oscar kept a calm expression on his face as the two walked, but began to think to himself, glaring at her.

'This woman.... she is really something, isn't she? She blows off my advances, she hasn't fallen head over heels for me at that speech..... what the hell is going on!? Hahaha..... it's..... it's really strange. She really doesn't care at all.... it's almost like she doesn't even see me.... no, rather she doesn't really see me the same way everyone else does. She doesn't see me as the Indeterminant, nor does she see me as myself. It's like I'm just..... another person. Nothing more, nothing less.'

Oscar held back the urge to grin.

He was met with a challenge.

Finally, he had come across a woman who didn't immediately fall to her knees the moment he uttered a phrase about his heroism, or put on a tragic speech about his hardships.

'This..... will be interesting. Haha.... and she's pushy too. I was going to stick around and chase a few more tails tonight, but it looks like I don't even have the time to do so! Haha! She's great... it will be very satisfying once I tame her as well.'

With these horrible thoughts hidden in his mind, Oscar and Risa reached her home.

A small sandstone building, barely the size of a single room.

"Should I wait for you?"

"Yes you should wait for me. What? You expect to come in? In your dreams, hero."

The woman opened the door and closed it quickly, leaving Oscar to wait on his own.

At such a situation, Oscar could only bring himself to laugh.

He laughed quietly to himself, looking around to make sure that nobody saw.

'She..... hahaha..... she really just said that to me, didn't she?'

It was at that moment that an evil grin came across the face of Oscar, as a horrible thought came into his mind.

'Oh..... OHH... heh.....haha..... that..... that's perfect.'

Lightly chuckling to himself, Oscar's face returned to normal as soon as the door opened.

The woman now had two duffel bags on her side, each filled with some sort of luggage.

"Already done?"

"Did you expect me to take forever?"

"Yes, I did."

"Too bad."

The two walked together to the outskirts of the cities, reaching a stable for camels.

"We should rent out a couple of these. I'm not paying for your share though."

"No need."

Oscar quickly responded to the woman who was walking over to the vendor, and at his statement both the woman and the vendor were confused.

"I already have a form of transportation. And it's a lot more comfy than those things."

[/replace clothing]

[/create mustang]

With the snap of his fingers, Oscar was now wearing jeans and a Hawaiian t shirt, with a pair of sunglasses. His hair was styled up like a member of a motorcycle gang, and before him was a yellow mustang with white stripes.

Oscar walked around to open the passenger door, waving for Risa to get in.

"Don't be shy. This is what you call a luxury form of transportation."

The two looked at the vehicle with confusion, unsure from where it came and without the slightest idea as to what it was.

"What the hell is that thing!?", they both shouted.

"It's a vehicle. Just like that camel over there. Pretend it's a carriage, but a million times better. It'll get us from A to B in no time."

"No time?"

"Well, very little time."

The woman walked over, shrugging at the Vendor as he drooped his head, having lost two sales.

"I don't trust this thing, but it's better than paying for a camel."

"Is money your only concern?"

"It's pretty high up on the list."

Oscar closed the door after Risa sat down and he walked over to the drivers seat, entering and placing his hands behind his head, stretching himself with a grin on his face.

"I'm about to show you the reason why I am known as the Indeterminant.", Oscar said as he turned the radio up.

Blasting some classic rock music, Oscar began to rev the engine loudly, smiling as he looked over to the woman beside him.

"Ah, you might want to strap yourself up. You're boutta be in for a wild ride."

Pointing to the seatbelt, Risa looked to it and began to fiddle around with it.

"What is this thing? What are those sounds? Why is everything so loud!?", she questioned. "And why the hell are you so different from before!?!?!"

"Why am I so different? Hahaha! Don't think that. When you're the hero, you gotto put on a nice face for the people, right? They gotto trust in you. But I meant every last word of it. I intend fully to help everyone. So why don't you and me go saving some people?"

Helping Risa click the seatbelt together, Oscar smiled as he shifted gears.

The vehicle took off.

"W...wha!? This.... what's happening!?!? We... we're moving so fast!!! It's too fast!!! STOP!!!!"

"Afraid of driving in an open desert? You'll never become a good hero at that rate. The people of this world don't understand what it means to experience a little thrill."

Rolling down the windows, the air burst into the car, flaying the hair of Risa all over the place.

"AGH!!!! STOP!!!!!"

"Hahaha!!! This is the life, isn't it!? Let's go save us a world!!!! WAHOO!!!!"

Oscar stuck his head out his window, a single hand on the steering wheel as he sped through the desert.

With a sly grin, a single thought came to his mind.

'If she's so suspicious of me, then I suppose I'll just make her fall for the real me. And because she was so rude to me..... I'll show her that there exists no woman who can resist me by toying with her heart.'

----

A man who was dressed in a fine suit of golden armor walked through the green marble palace of the Emperor, a number of men following behind him.

This man had a brown beard which wrapped itself all the way around his face, and he carried a stern expression- that of an experienced veteran.

Even so, this man carried a softness in his eyes- one which would suggest that he was not merely a hardened warrior, but a man with a deep rooted purpose.

His helmet had a dark green mane, representing his status as a legion commander of one of the five legions of the Empire.

This man was Darius, the Commander of the 2nd Legion.

Darius was a man who held loyalty and utmost respect for Percius IV and his own policies and rule.

He truly believed that the late Emperor was the greatest leader to ever rule the Empire.

Yet this man was now dead.

This great man had been slain by the hero of the Ruthobold Kingdom.

As a result of this, Darius had been summoned here to the Capital under the orders of Percius V, the late Emperor's immature son.

Darius had never found himself agreeing on anything with the rebellious son of the Emperor. He viewed the son as the single blemish on the almost perfect record which Percius IV held.

The death of the Emperor greatly disturbed Darius, and even more disturbing was the rein of his son.

Darius was filled with concern at this news, however on receiving a message, it would appear that Percius V and Darius agreed on one thing.

Percius IV must be avenged.

The man who killed him was an evil and corrupted fool who must be destroyed- and the Kingdom who embraced such a man stood as a pillar of injustice.

Agreeing upon this much, Darius was resolved to take such a position in leading his own legion alongside the fourth legion, and the hero of the Empire himself, into battle.

Currently, Darius headed to the palace of the throne room, in order to speak with the young Emperor and be debriefed of his objectives.

It was as he headed to this throne room that a man appeared out of nowhere.

It was a face Darius knew well, and not a welcome one.

The man before him wore a similar suit of armor, and a helmet with a dark green mane.

This man had long black hair that went down his back, and thin snakelike eyes as he met Darius with a sly smile.

"Hello, Darius. It's been.... all too long, hasn't it?", the man said in a slithering tone.

"Larios. It hasn't been long enough."

"Don't say something like that. After all, we are to act together in this upcoming war. Are we not?"

The man spoke like a snake, and Darius felt himself squirming just listening to the man.

"My legion will work under my orders, and yours under yours. We will both be subject to the Indeterminant and the heroes underneath him. There is no need to associate with one another further than that."

"Always so cold to others, Darius. Did someone stick something up your ass when you were young?"

Irked by the words, Darius held in his irritation and turned to the throne room before him.

"We are about to enter the presence of the Emperor. Watch your mouth."

"No answer. So maybe it is true? Hahaha...."

Darius ignored the man. Despite the fact that Darius had many subordinates behind him, all of whom were irritated, and the man before him had nobody by his side, Darius did not dare to strike back at the man for such words.

For Darius was a Legion Commander of the Empire.

He had no intention to cause unnecessary trouble before the beginning of such an important campaign.

1