1: The Awakening
4.3k 26 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You look at the ash-filled sky and see a bolt of lightning flash through the poisonous clouds. How long has the sky been like this? You don’t remember the sky being like this. Sure, your plane was caught in a storm, but the pilot said there’s no cause for concern. You don’t remember the clouds being that dark. Now that you think about it, you don’t remember landing. Wait, when did you land? Where the hell are you? You observe your surroundings. The ground is as dark as the sky. Rocks covered with dirt and ash. Wilting trees, twisted and malevolent. You’d think those are Halloween decorations. In the distance, you see mountains, high and steep, a perfect un-assailable obstacle. This isn’t Bora Bora!

You get up and walk toward— … You get up and walk! Get up! What the hell is this!? Why can’t you get up? And you feel flat, pressed strangely close to the ash-covered wasteland. You try to move your arms at least… You have no arms. Is this a dream? You try to pinch yourself but, again, no arms. You do feel a little hungry. Do you usually feel hungry in your dreams?

The wind blows ashes over your eyes, but nothing got in luckily. Into what? You realize that you’ve never blinked once while staring at the dark sky. Do you even have eyes? You try to move your sight. It was easier when you didn’t think about it. Another gust of wind sends ashes flying over your smooth, curved surface. … Huh?

You’re a sword!? You inspect yourself. You’re not just any plain old sword. Both the blade and the hilt are curved and with sharp edges. You look like the weapon of some anime villain or an edgy anti-hero. You inspect yourself more thoroughly.

[Name: Unknown
Race: Sword
Battle Power: 15
Satiation: 66/100
Durability 95/100
Skills:
Life-leech
Power Overwhelming
Telepathy
Devour
Reconstruction]

[Life-leech – Ability to leech the life of others. It can be used for healing yourself or your wielder, as well as satiating your hunger and increasing your power. Always active.]

[Power Overwhelming – surge your power through your wielder, granting them immense power at the cost of their health/sanity/life]

[Telepathy – Allows communication with others through their minds. Requires close proximity. The level of communication depends on the target’s magical capabilities, awareness, and susceptibility. Most effective for communication with wielder]

[Devour – Instantly consume all life and magic essence from the target. Maximizes power growth and satiates hunger. The eventual fate of all your wielders.]

[Reconstruction – repair yourself. Harder to do on an empty stomach]

It doesn’t look like you’re a very nice sword. Though that could just be a welcome additional challenge to be nice regardless of all your side-effects. However, it appears that you require a wielder, otherwise you might just starve to death lying around here.

“Uwaaa~~!” you hear a scream not far from your position. You look in that direction and see a pale-green skinned goblin, no more than four feet tall, running in your direction. Hot on his trails are two more goblins, armed to the teeth, riding atop gray wolves.

"Come back here, we just want to talk!" shouts one of the goblins who has a rusty machete in his left arm.

The wolves bark and foam at the mouth as they chase the barely-armed goblin. He has little more than a dagger in his hands, and old rags for clothing. His feet are probably long used to running on this unforgiving terrain, as he is barefoot, but doesn’t even wince when he steps on the sharp rocks. Then again, he has no time to wince, when he’s about to become wolf-meat.

Seeing how he can’t outrun the wolves, he has to make his last stand.

“Ah!?” The goblin spots you, runs to you and picks you up from the ground with both hands. He turns around and presses his back against a nearby rock, to avoid an attack from both sides.

What do you do?
  • Help the goblin fight off the assailants (without killing them) Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Massacre the attacking goblins and wolves (whether he wants that or not) Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Massacre everyone, including the goblin that picked you up (he never even asked permission!) Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Betray the goblin that holds you and kill him instead, leaving the attackers unharmed. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 47 · This poll was closed on May 20, 2020 11:30 AM.
82