Chapter 11 – The DMV
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After three months of hard work, I finally became an Esquire Smith! It was a laborious journey for me. I had to memorize basic metal properties and common Tier-1 and Tier-0 metals.

My first few forgings were a disaster. With no understanding of Metal Dao, it was hard to interact with the metals. My control of Fire qi left much to be desired.

When I finally could melt a metal properly by controlling my Fire qi in the forge, I found that reforging metals without metal qi was difficult. I haphazardly forged my first Esquire Dagger with a Tier-0 metal.

To work with Tier-1 metals required Esquire Metal Dao. Higher-level metals didn't always have this requirement for the Metal Dao to match them.

However, without breaking into the Metal Dao you could not work with Tier-1 and above metals at all. James understood better why Esquire Devils were the minimum requirement to be part of noble devil society. If you were not at least at this level, you could not even practice a profession.

I figured Kyle must be proficient in Wood Dao to grow Tier-1 fel weed. I eventually gave up trying to work with Tier-1 metals and sought the counsel of my Devil Ancestor.

"Ha ha, little brat, I think you might have learned an important lesson today. Every profession practiced in the Abyss requires an understanding of Daos to be proficient in them. Therefore devils are not experts in many fields," said Kogthoz.

"To become a Devil Duke smith I had to gain a high-level understanding of Fire and Metal Dao. If you split your focus trying to learn all fields you will never reach a top-level in any of them. It also would affect your personal improvement of your own devilry realm."

"Just sitting here attempting to study and learn a third Dao such as Metal Dao would be detrimental to you right now. Metal Dao is a difficult Dao to master, and you already have two Daos. Your devilry would suffer if you spent months studying just to step into the Metal Dao."

"I honestly did not even suspect you would step into the Fire Dao so quickly. Soulflame qi was all you need to do Esquire level forging of Soul items. Understanding the Soul Dao makes handling metals with soul properties as easy to handle as if you understood the corresponding Metal Dao."

"Here is the inheritance you worked so hard for, study it well, and forge a place for yourself in the Hudson clan. Our time must end now. I've given you all the attention I can."

"You have regained a normal life. Through practicing forging as an Esquire smith you have gained precision and depth to the usage of your hands. Your vision does not handicap you, you have even forgotten how much of your vision you have lost as you interact with the world, I believe."

"When you first lost your vision, you bemoaned not being able to see a thing. Barely able to navigate the halls of my mansion. Brat, I didn't forget all the things you broke in my halls sneaking out. Now you hardly bring up your vision as a problem and are focusing tirelessly on improving yourself."

"Study this book well and master your Soul Dao. That is your best path, blacksmithing can only be complimentary to you. The Soul Dao is what's most important for your devilry to progress. The Devil Dao and the Soul Dao seem similar on the surface, but there are many differences that true masters can use to tell them apart."

Devil Ancestor took me to the front door, handed me the tattered book, and walked away slowly. He was making another one of his eccentric 'Devil Ancestor' scenes!

~~~

Such an amazing exit. From the look on his face, I could tell my speech filled him with so much hope. I definitely have mastered being a knowledgeable and refined Devil Ancestor.

~~~

"Wait Devil Ancestor, this young noble wants to start his own organization. I still know nothing of devil contracts." I said.

The only reason he came here in the first place was to learn about contracts. I got so caught up in trying to get this Soul Inheritance I almost forgot!

~~~

I just ignored him and continued to walk away slowly and dramatically. I looked back with my head over my shoulder and said, "Study the Soul Dao well, then you will understand." Then I disappeared on the spot with a transportation talisman.

~~~

"Damn old fogey, always making this young noble work for things. Where is your [Kogthoz Devil Count Scripture - Volume 1, Contracts]? Whatever this young noble will always come out on top," I said to his disappearing figure.

Since I am now free again, I should go to the DMV to get an official Devil Mark!

Devil Mark Validating Association was the regulatory authority of titles within the Abyss. It was where devils officially registered their titles. Other races could also get professional badges at the DMV Association.

Not even Empires would cross the DMV as it spanned the Endless Abyss. The Xertzul Abyss was only a single Abyss in the Endless Abyss. The offices in Xertzul Abyss were only branches of the monolithic regulatory authority.

Without a Devil Mark from the Devil Association, you were practicing without a license. Everyone would have peace of mind when dealing with an accredited professional. Devils believed in a lawful society.

The Hudson City branch of the DMV could handle accreditation of most common professions. For rarer professions, people would have to head to larger branches.

The Hudson City DMV branch was orderly. No snacks, food, drinks, or entertainment of any kind could be brought in. It was a hall filled to the brim with people. Long rows of tables and chairs of people miserably waiting.

You were to remain silent while waiting and it allowed no communication talismans of any kind. There were also no bathrooms for customers. You give up your spot in line if you left the building. I thought there was a top-level devil practicing the Misery Dao behind this terrifying organization.

"How may I assist you today?" said the attendant I met after waiting in line for hours.

"I would like to get the Devil Marks for Devil Esquire and Devil Esquire smith."

"Here are forms 1N and form 1BS. After you have finished filling them out return them at the receiving counter and wait patiently until we call you."

I checked out the two long forms I received. The Esquire form was the longer of the two. It asked me the names of my parents, my level in devilry, my devil clan, the Daos I had pursued, my level of those Daos, and many other random information.

I slowly but surely filled out both forms after an agonizing hour of torture. The form even asked me what he had eaten for the last week. It was a grueling process.

After turning in my forms, I waited 6 more hours until they finally called me for my devilry test. I was lead to a smithing room. A fat old devil lady greeted me. The devil looked over the forms as she sized me up.

"A member of the local Hudson devils. I see you are looking to be getting a Devil Mark for both Esquire and Devil Smith Esquire. All you need to do is to forge a basic Esquire sword and you will receive your Devil Marks."

I quickly forged an Esquire sword in the forge in front of me, passing the test.

I had to pee, and I was ready to go home. I did not understand why this organization was so backward. I dared not complain to them, however. That was the face the DMV had!

With my Devil Marks, I could strut around proudly and open a blacksmithing shop if I wanted to. Blacksmithing was over-saturated in Hudson City, however. With the Devil Ancestor being a renowned blacksmith, many Hudson descendants who had a connection with Fire or Metal Dao took up the profession.

I headed back to my parent's home and rested after the exhausting day. I practiced the [Flint & Steel Art], as always, before heading to bed. Only through continual practice would someone's devilry level rise. Checking out the artifact would have to wait. I didn't have the patience for learning now.

Waking up, I slowly thought to myself how far I had come. I was an Esquire Devil and even an Esquire Smith. I even had Devil Marks to back my claims. Who dare look down on this young noble?

It was time for me to begin what I had been waiting all day yesterday to do. The Soul Dao was a complex mistress. Sadly, she wasn't getting any love today. It is time for this arrogant young noble to strut his stuff!

I was finally free! No ancestor imposed tasks or mother imposed training. No longer would I be a common devil, working hard to improve himself every day. I took a deep breath and dressed up in my best suit.

I now looked the part. I didn't have any personal lackeys yet, so I dragged my loyal butler Azon as my lackey for the day.

~~~

Azon was a changeling and follower of James' mother, the chief butler of James' family house. Changelings were beings with the ability to shape-shift into other humanoids. His natural form was pale, slender, with pupilless eyes, and metallic silver hair. James had never seen his true form.

He took on the mantel of an old devil sporting a monocle while fulfilling the duties of a butler. He dressed impeccably with white gloves, black pants, black shoes, and a black vest.

He only amounted to being the princesses butler. It was a lowly position for a cultivator to have, but Diana apparently treated him well considering he had been the house butler since James was a youth. He was used to playing the role of a loyal lackey, and he rather enjoyed Jame's antics.

Azon's care and protection contributed to fostering James' overbearing personality. James had never met a situation where Azon didn't swiftly take care of it. James wasn't sure of Azon's cultivation realm, but somehow Azon never let him down.

No matter who it was Azon quickly dispatched them making it look effortless. He was the perfect loyal lackey to foster an arrogant young noble. Azon had trampled Esquires, Knights, and Barons. James had seen no one defeat his loyal butler.

"Come Azon, we haven't toured Hudson City in months. We must check out my new tavern, this young noble finally has his own business."

"Yes, young lord. This old butler will follow in your steed. I will prepare a grand carriage, several guards, and several maids to attend to the young lord. Your reentry into devil society must be a grand occasion."

Azon knew just what they needed to make his young noble happy.

2