Chapter 12 – The Inn
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They prepared my grand carriage. I was finally back to where I belonged. Working hard was not the job of a young noble.

I sat in the middle of the carriage, with two beautiful maids by my side. I had 5 guards attending to my carriage and while Azon lead the way. His young noble entourage was complete.

This life is what I live for. Luxury, prestige, and acknowledgment by the masses were paramount to a young noble. I now could flout my status around Hudson city.

We made their way in the grand carriage to the slums. It was a beautiful ride; the scenery was spectacular.

There we came to my tavern. Ah, the 'Young Noble Lounge' it seemed my business and was doing well! It was packed to the brim with tavern goers. I even saw a line outside, with other noble carriages in the area. Kyle sure has turned this place around. This young noble was right to put my trust in him.

My entourage and I entourage came to the entrance to speak to the person manning the door.

"Where's Kyle at? It seems he is doing an excellent job managing my 'Young Noble Lounge.'" I said.

"'Young Noble Lounge?' What's that, this is 'Ye Olde Devils Pub'. Can't you read the sign, young devil? Is something wrong with your head?" said the door attendant as he pointed to the sign.

"Are you questioning the words of this young noble? This is my tavern, I demand to see Kyle the manager immediately."

"The manager of this establishment is Samuck. I don't know where you are getting your information from noble devil but you best move along!"

"I'll let you know this place is backed by the Yazeesa clan's young master, Jaffil. Even the local Hudson clan has to give the Yazzesa clan face."

"Well, I think I've heard enough. Azon shut this place down and kill anyone who doesn't cooperate. I want to know just who this Jaffil fellow is to have the gall to steal my business."

"Yes, young lord," said Azon.

~~~

Azon didn't care about a mere Yazzesa clan, he was one of Diana's followers. His way of doing things was just as tyrannical as hers.

Azon understood what had happened after roughing up the people in the bar. Apparently, Jaffil had visited the establishment during his trip to Wesser Forest. He gave the Hudson clan no face, sending Kyle back to his farm battered and bruised.

Obviously Jaffil wouldn't kill another devil's follower he had no information on. Taking control of the tavern and leaving whoever owned it a bit of face was standard procedure.

As long as a devil didn't kill another devil's dogs it didn't create life or death enmity. At worse, he would have to pay a bit of compensation if he had offended the wrong person.

Every arrogant young noble had their own way of doing things that wouldn't leave them out in the rain. What he did was overbearing but at worse he would pay compensation and if he was lucky, he would keep a nice little tavern he found. This was exactly how Jaffil viewed it.

Too bad he was dealing with James. He got his overbearing, arrogant personality from his mother. Even her servants obliged this behavior.

All Jaffil's minions were tied up like pigs squealing. They said their master was staying at a high-class inn in the middle of the city.

Jaffil wouldn't stay in the slums. It was above a young master's dignity.

~~~

I could not believe someone would have the gall to offend this young noble. I am the offender, not the offended. I headed with my entourage to the inn where Jaffil was staying.

I knocked down the door as soon as I arrived, making a loud commotion. I soon garnering the attention of all passerby ers. This was a high-class inn in the middle of Hudson City. I would definitely offend someone in Hudson clan with my actions.

Who dare complain to me about me getting my rightful compensation? They are the villains here, housing someone who offended this young noble. I am righteously trashing this inn!

~~~

"Isn't that James? He sure has been ghost after being marked as trash at the fel awakening ceremony."

"Why's he making such a racket at Baron Duking's inn? Even his father wouldn't be so bold!"

"This will definitely be some sweet tea, go get the boys. I will get a front seat to this drama."

~~~

"Jaffil Yazzesa come out now! You have offended this young noble and I desire an explanation."

Jaffil heard the racket, but he didn't come out. If he hopped, skipped, and jumped for every person he ever offended he would get nothing done.

"Mefino, go handle the situation. Figure out what they want and give them compensation if they can't be offended," said Jaffil.

"However, if they are overstepping their bounds swiftly execute the yeller and leave his corpse up in front of the inn as an example. It might be the perfect opportunity to kill the chicken, to scare the monkeys."

Mefino walked out with an air of superiority. He was Jaffil's chief lackey. A Devil Baron that always stayed close by his young master's side.

Mefino did not believe his young master had offended anyone recently of note. His voice reverberated as he exited the hotel room.

"Baron Mefino here, I am a follower of Jaffil heir to the Yazzesa Marquess clan. My master is at a key moment practicing his devilry so he sent me to handle this situation."

"How has my young master offended you?"

~~~

I took out a plank that said 'Ye Olde Devils Pub' and threw it at Mefino's feet, giving him no face at all.

"Your trash master took over this young masters 'Young Noble Lounge' and even put a stupid unfamiliar name on the door. I demand compensation for this. "

"It's above this young noble's dignity to talk to a lackey. Quickly bring your master out to speak with me. If he's not out here in five minutes, heads start rolling," I said.

~~~

Mefino was at a loss for words. He was sure that tavern belonged to someone from the Hudson Count clan. They learned that the owner was trash. That's why he owned a tavern in the slums. Why was this trash parading in front of him, Mefino thought?

No one from the clan spoke up or stopped them when they took it over. The only reason his young master took it was he wanted a base of operations to explore Wesser Forest.

"You wouldn't be that trash James Hudson who practices Soul Dao?" said Mefino.

~~~

"This young noble is James Hudson, you would be quick to hold your tongue if you value it. Calling this young noble trash? I'll let it slide once because you are but a dog." I said.

"Dog, quickly go fetch your master!"

~~~

Now that he had confirmed the target's clan and status, Mefino's arrogance exploded.

"You guys from the Hudson clan who manage this inn are really letting clan trash cause a ruckus here? Do you really want my young master upset at this inn for sullying his dignity?" said Mefino.

"He should never have to deal with such lowly trash, it's below even my eyes. I'm returning to my master's suite, drag this trash out."

Baron Mefino put on an arrogant front and turned around and walked away. Better to let the Hudson Clan beat up its own members, Mefino thought.

Sadly, that was the last thing he ever thought. His head was now rolling on the floor. Azon waved his hand and Mefino lost his head. It sure is difficult for weaklings in the Abyss.

"Sorry I let him talk for so long, young lord. He could have lived, but he had the nerve to turn his back on my young lord. Should I drag out the scum that's keeping you waiting?"

"Wonderful job, Azon! No, he must walk out himself. We have to leave the Yezzesa clan a bit of face for their heir."

I was ecstatic! Azon was the perfect lackey. My mother sure knew how to train her followers well. I would definitely have to get the [Lackey Training Scripture] from my mother when I got the chance.

~~~

James will get in so much trouble with the Hudson Clan for this. But Diana will definitely reward me for maintaining her son's dignity.

She's already upset at the Hudson Clan anyway, so I can disregard their face. Who in either clan would dare come complain to my princess? That's grounds for clan extermination!

Thought Azon.

~~~

"Wow, it's getting juicy!"

"Who's that servant? He really killed a Devil Baron with no effort at all?"

"The patriarch really gave him such a top-class servant? The elder council will be furious, they told him to cut off all clan resources to James!"

~~~

I destroyed the front desk of the inn since they didn't even speak up for me when Mefino was making such a long-winded speech.

"This inn's under new management! Go inform Jaffil he has 5 minutes to come and give me an explanation or he joins his lackey."

I boldly staked my claim to this inn. I'm already this deep in. I might as well be as overbearing as possible to grab an additional source of fel shards.

The inn workers were quick to follow my orders as they just saw a Baron's head roll.

None of them had the stupidity to voice any dissent. Commoners are so predictable, they follow whoever has the biggest fist. And the biggest fist around this inn is my lackey, Azon. Who dare question this young noble?

"You killed my servant? Are your eyes blind? This young devil is the heir to the Yazzesa clan, I'll have your Hudson clan exterminated over this!" said Jaffil.

Jaffil was furious. Mefino was his favorite follower, it was hard to get blindly loyal devil followers as a devil. They contracted most from other races.

"You can take his corpse as you see fit. I have no use of such trash. You still have not told me what compensation you will give me," I said.

"You you you."

Jaffil was lost for words, he quickly came to an understanding, his chief bodyguard was dead. He himself was only a Devil Esquire. If he did not pay compensation, this madman might be crazy enough to kill him too.

"Fine, what do you want?"

"1000 medium grade fel shards, seeds of a Tier-2 strain of felweed, and a Baron level Wood Dao Art."

I started high, expecting him to make a counteroffer. I needed something to go back to Kyle with sincerity for letting him get beat up. A master who lets their followers get beat up wasn't a good master.

"I can give you 500 medium grade fel shards and a Knight level Wood Dao Art, that's all I have on me now," said Jaffil.

I could tell Jaffil was livid. Knights used medium grade fel shards. They were worth 10 times more than low-grade fel shards. 500 medium fel shards were equivalent to 5000 low-grade fel shards. My father only gave me around 1000 low-grade fel shards when I hustled him out of the tavern.

Those 1000 low-grade fel shards were enough for me to become a Devil Knight. Gaining the equivalent of 5000 low-grade fel shards, I would now have the finances to hire a band of lackeys.

I could not touch Baron Mafino's resources. Azon killed him, so Azon kept the resources. Azon was my mother's follower. I had no right to things gotten by his efforts. The fact he was fighting my battles for me was worth much more than the items on a Devil Baron.

Jaffil quickly fled the scene with his tail between his legs. I bet he was vowing to get revenge one day. Haha, good come back again.

I was happy to find a rival young master. If I can get Jaffil to bring me a sturdy stream of fel shards, my coffers will overflow.

~~~

Young devils rarely killed heirs of other devil clans. It was better to beat them up and get compensation.

Devils were long-lived, so fighting and gaining resources for your devilry was much more reasonable and economic than having life and death enmities between two devil clans. If they were similar in strength a war between two clans could last for centuries, draining the resources of both clans.

Devils weren't that foolish, so they had a common etiquette that enmities were squashed with compensation.

This rule of etiquette was ignored if there was a large disparity in the status of the two clans. The law of the jungle was the highest law in the Abyss.

Azon was the servant of a princess of a King clan. Obviously he was overbearing in the way he handled things if not dealing with members of a King or Emperor clan. If he wasn't his Princess would look down on him.

"Little cousin, you've made a mess!"

"Has me not beating you up for a few months made you think you can do anything you wish around Hudson city with no recourse?" A loud, arrogant voice proclaimed.

2