Chapter 15 – The Exile
60 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My entire body filled with Light qi as I poured out everything. I raised Hope's Deflector in the air, pointing it in the middle of the sinners, focusing the strongest attack I could muster!

"Light within my heart, hear my call! Purge the devils that dare stand in my path!"

<Light's Judgment>

I made the battle arena overflow with Light qi as I attacked the devils with all my might! The sinners that dared to stand in my path were burnt to a crisp from such a strong and overbearing attack.

All the sinner's hearts skipped a beat as they felt like they were losing something as the light purged their very souls. It only happened for a split second, but that split second in life and death was enough.

I breathed easy after that. My <Light's Judgment> was still very far from where it was in my previous life. It took all I had to purge these 10 devils with the light. My mastery of the Light Dao was much stronger than my devilry would allow.

I could not even connect with the Goddess I worshiped in my previous life to empower my light. Devils mastered Daos much differently than humans did.

I still did not know if devils had Devil Gods some worshiped to strengthen them. It seemed in the Abyss I could only worry about my mastery of the Light Dao to strengthen myself.

I had extinguished my faith in my Goddess after being reincarnated as a devil. I would find my new path in the Light Dao in the Abyss.

When I was a human, I had never seen a devil practice, Light Dao. Most of them seemed weak to it. After gaining the Light Dao myself, I found it was not all too uncommon.

Devils weren't weak to the light itself, only the god's blessing flowing through the Light Arts made them weak to it.

"Good Good Good," said the burly devil.

"Your insights into the Light Dao are unmatched. I've never been able to see a decedent use their Devil Arts so effectively at the Esquire level. You even self-created these Arts giving this Devil Ancestor face."

"How can your old Devil Ancestor make your path smoother?" said the burly devil.

"I hope to expedition into the Wesser Forest Devil Ancestor. I desire more combat to break into the Devil Knight realm. I also need a good Devil Art for Light Dao to help me gain more understanding."

The burly devil pondered for a bit.

"I recently punished that brat James with having to head to the Wesser Forest. I want you to make sure he is properly reformed in his stay there," said Kogthoz.

"Heres the [Conjuris Luminus Art] it is a Tier 3 Devil Art of the Light Dao. Quickly breakthrough to the Devil Knight realm."

"I will give you an official clan post overseeing operations of the Hazel Canopy, one of the Knight camps in Wesser Forest. We must foster your leadership abilities. I hope you can make me proud, Mikael."

"Thank you Devil Ancestor! I will not let you down!" I said.

~~~

Across town, James finally received his punishment from the Devil Ancestor. He would have to serve faithfully at the Hazel Canopy Knight camp for two years of service.

Only then would he be allowed to return to society. Most Hudson clan members took up these postings by choice as they would come with a stipend of clan contribution points and fel shards.

After given notice of this punishment. I studied the map I had received from the Codex. Since I was heading to the Wesser forest anyway I might as well seek Sybil out.

I couldn't wait to enter the forest and try my luck. Growing I he had been on many children's camp expeditions into Wesser forest.

I understood the general layout of the forest and what the most common demon beasts were capable of. This was general education for the Hudson clan youths as the forest is a valuable natural resource for us.

~~~

The Wesser Forest had many campgrounds managed by the Hudson clan. In these camps adventurers could resupply all their needs while hunting in the Wesser Forest.

They could find lodging, clean water, and a hot meal. They could have the demon beast corpses butchered and appraised and fel herbs they found appraised. Adventures could sell them at the camps or keep them.

These camps were where the chief revenues of the Hudson clan came from. Most people sold whatever they hunted directly at the camps to quickly get fel shards. Hudson clan gave a fair price, but it was under market.

It was more convenient for adventurers to sell their gains immediately and continue hunting than trying to find somewhere to sell them then coming back. Storage was limited. If you were killing a lot of demon beasts every day, you could not hold all the corpses.

All these resources were resold in bulk throughout the Rez'gal Empire by the Hudson clan. Hudson City was considered a staging city. Anyone who wanted to try their luck would spend an extended time at the various camps in the Wesser forest.

The campgrounds were in different areas depending on the strength of the demon beasts that surrounded them. Camps were ranging from the Esquire level to the Marquess level, with the higher areas being unmanaged.

People would only have to purchase a hunting license from the Hudson Clan to try their luck in a campground. The unregulated areas, however, these were dangerous.

Being left unregulated meant there were possibly Duke level or above demon beasts. Hudson clan guaranteed you would not find a demon beast stronger than the designation of the area.

That's where the management of the camps was involved. They ensured no demon beasts stronger than the campgrounds designation were present. Only the strongest members of Hudson clan were bravely forging new campgrounds in the Wesser forest.

People trusted the campgrounds, it was profitable to hunt within them. People could gain valuable battle training and resources. For common people, places like Wesser forest were where they would improve themselves.

~~~

I headed to the slums to find Kyle. I had not seen Kyle in months. After letting Kyle get beat up, I was ashamed. As a young noble, all my lackeys should feel safe and have undying loyalty, knowing nothing could happen to them under my protection.

I had gotten due compensation for Kyle's troubles though. The Knight level Wood Dao Art would be very helpful to Kyle as an Esquire.

I came to a simple farmers shack. This was Kyle's residency.

"Kyle, it's me James! Open up, I have some excellent things for you." I said as I knocked on his door.

Kyle came to the door, surprised to see James.

"I apologize for what happened at the tavern, but I have a Knight level Wood Dao Art for you here and some medium grade fel shards," I said.

"I hope you can quickly break into the Knight realm, this young nobles followers can not be weak."

"Thank you young noble, it's nothing," said Kyle.

Kyle immediately grabbed the presents from James. He had thought James had abandoned him; he wasn't an officially contracted follower. James had no obligation to make things right with him.

"The tavern is now up to you to run. If you need me, you can find me in the Hazel Canopy Knight camp within Wesser forest," I said.

"I am being tasked with residing at the campground for the next two years. I had that Baron that beat you up executed, and the clan punished me for it."

I was quick to invert black to white making it seem like I was being punished for looking out for his follower and not wrecking another clan member's inn. Fostering blindly loyal followers was hard work.

"Young noble being punished on my account? I will serve young noble diligently! Young noble is magnanimous and his future bright!" said Kyle.

Kyle couldn't believe his young noble was being punished for his sake. He had chosen the right devil to follow.

"Yes, please have the profits delivered to me every three months at the Hazel Canopy Knight camp. If you have any other issues go see Azon, the chief butler of my family's house," I said.

"There's no situation too difficult for him to handle, he serves my mother with the same fever that you should serve me!"

"I will learn much from Azon young noble!" said Kyle.

I thought that would be good for the two to meet, Kyle was my first lackey and Azon was the epitome of what a good lackey should be.

After about a week of preparations and getting myself in order, I headed out to the Wesser Forest to begin my long exile. At least I will get paid while working at the camp. I tried to cheer himself up.

As soon as I made it to the camp, I knew my pleasant days were over. My damned nemesis was here! That stupid self-righteous cousin of mine was at the campground!

Hopefully, he's not here for long.

3