Chapter 27: Treacherous Agreement
2.5k 11 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Braydon really did not want to meet Baron Abel, one meeting was more enough for him, but duty and ambition called him to do otherwise. At least this time he had Nela with him, unlike when he had gone to Wathamalin to negotiate with the carpenters’ guild on his way to Boshil. He was still sure he had been ripped off, or at least Nela was just very good at ripping off others. 

This time they were returning from Wathamalin after hiring mercenaries for their plan. It was a good job that Wathamalin was central to the several baronies that the factions used for proxy wars, there were always mercenary bands for hire in the town. They had made it a base of operations due to its neutrality, just another thing that kept the town free of noble influence. As they were traveling to Abel’s mansion in Kirton, Braydon had a stray thought about the town.

“Nela, why has Wathamalin not become a city yet? It is bigger than some of the smaller ones.” She evidently did not know the answer so tried to think of a reason herself, intriguing him as to what she would come up with.

“Well to become a city a town needs to be granted the status by royal decree. And to my knowledge, being a city also grants some privileges and tax exemptions. So as one of the King’s last holdings in the kingdom, he would probably want to get more revenue out of it.”

“But don’t the guilds effectively run the place? Do they even pay the taxes to the crown?”

“That could be why the King has not granted city status, he’d have no hope of collecting revenue from it if it was one.”

“True, although it is not like the King has to worry for money when he still holds power in the capital. It isn’t like he has much of an army outside of the city garrison and the palace guards.”

“It is nobles like you that mean the King needs all the money he can get.” Nela sighed in exasperation, he had just taken the King’s money and wondered where the same man would even spend his coin.

“I’m glad that you two are having a swell conversation, but we are about to arrive at the Baron’s mansion. So if you would mind focusing on more pressing issues, it would be most welcome.” Gerald’s voice came from outside. He was still annoyed that the two of them had conspired to remove his alcohol for a month. And no matter what he said they found it amusing that he could do nothing about it. Even Rhydian had said that he brought this matter on himself. 

Rhydian himself had been brought with them to Wathamalin, to lead the mercenaries back to Cliforge through Baron Walker’s lands. He had split from the group before they entered Abel’s lands. Braydon first wanted to take Baron Monrow’s lands so he did not want to give anything away. They planned to let Abel attack Walker’s lands, even if Abel lost completely Walker would probably attack him anyway.

Like with any noble meeting, they had sent a message before to inform Baron Abel of their arrival. And for once the man decided to show some sincerity and met them at the entrance. He had, for once, remembered how a lower ranked noble was to act before a higher ranked noble. 

“Welcome to my residence, Viscount Braydon, Lady Burgess.” Baron Abel welcomed them with his big smile. Braydon wondered if the man’s fat or rudeness had stopped him from even attempting to bow, though even he appeared to have the courtesy not to call Nela by name. The same could not be said for the Baron’s insistence on calling him Braydon. He would rather his family name came from the disgusting man’s mouth, the thought of being seen as friends by the Baron disgusted him almost as much as when George called him Bray.

“Thank you for receiving us Baron Abel.” ‘Don’t even ask, I will not call you Louis.’ He did not know if it was just being fortunate, but Baron Abel did not ask. They were led through an entrance and hallway that were grander than what any normal baron could afford. Braydon remembered that this was originally the Viscount’s manor, the reason this barony got the name Kirton instead of Monrow’s Mapjess. His barony was instead named after the town that inhabited it. Once they entered the parlour, they took their seats before Baron Abel asked why Braydon had requested a meeting in the first place.

“So your messenger said that you wanted to discuss military matters, what exactly do you have in mind? As you may tell I am not in the position to offer you much assistance. Monrow and Walker would have my guts for garters.” ‘There would be enough for both of them too, you pig.’ Baron Abel had started the negotiations with a hard stance, Nela would be doing most of the actual negotiations for better terms but he would have to start off as he was technically the one who was negotiating.

“What I propose is not that you come to my aid, if you did not notice there is no grand duke to declare war at the minute. Instead I want to offer an informal alliance, I am sure you know who it would be aimed at.” Braydon’s proposal intrigued the Baron, most outside interference usually just involved money or direct invasion, which they jointly quashed.. No one had been so invested in the cesspit that was their infighting.

“I am sure you know what happened the last time a lord from outside invaded. What makes you think that I will not gang up with those two against you?” Baron Abel thought he had the upper hand with this and could get more benefits from the alliance. But Nela would not allow this.

“Because, Baron Abel, we could just have a note discretely sent to the other two Barons that you entered into negotiations with us to attack them. And who do you think they would try to deal with first, your open land or our castle walls?” It was only when Nela said it that Baron Abel realised why Braydon had never stated his intentions through the messenger he had sent ahead of them. If the Baron had been given time to think, he would not have accepted to even start talks on the subject. By even speaking to Braydon about this, they had already tied him in to taking part. When she said this, Braydon had made an effort not to look at her smile. He did not want to be the one shuddering at the end even though he was getting the better deal.

“Then what do you propose for going through with such an exercise. You should know that I have drawn a stalemate against these two for years. I cannot change that fact now.” Baron Abel tried to find an excuse for why it would not work. He at least needed something on the table to negotiate with.

“That is because you have had to hold some strength back when attacking, lest the other Barons team up and take you out. With us keeping one of them busy, you would be able to attack the other with ease.” And Nela would not let him have it, leaving Baron Abel as weak as he could possibly be in these negotiations. Braydon was happy to sit back and listen to Nela verbally abuse the Baron. The person in question was now sweating more than usual and wore an ugly smile as he also realised that Nela was not leaving him any way out.

“And which one do you propose I attack?” Baron Abel felt like crying, realising that in one afternoon the young woman had been able to do what no other noble had done for the several decades he had been a baron. She had defeated him, not on the battlefield, but defeated all the same. 

“We want you to attack Baron Walker, meanwhile we will lay siege to Mapjess.” He expected her to say Mapjess, as attacking a town with walls would be a much harder feet and cost more men than Grolosar. But she surprised him, leaving him to wonder why Braydon had not said anything to contradict her. It was his troops and land, so why would he want to waste them on such an endeavour. Though Baron Abel would not be so shocked had he known about the mercenaries that Rhydian was leading through Grolosar to Cliforge.

“That is doable...”

“Then, we shall do it.”

Hi Hi.

Another friendly reminder that I have a discord that you should join, here!

64