Chapter 28: Battle Lines Drawn
2.4k 11 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So now we have two days to prepare, do you have any more bright ideas to make it an easier job?” Braydon asked Nela on their return trip. The majority of his army in this attack would be mercenaries. Whilst they were good, Fiverian mercenaries were known to retreat if it looks like things were going poorly. And they would do it much sooner than other troops. He hoped to counter this with another strategy instead of risking losing before the battle even truly began.

“Now we send a letter telling Baron Monrow that Baron Abel is about to go all out in an attack against Baron Walker.” Nela said, very sure of herself. It was almost as if she could already see them winning easily.

“The man is not stupid, he will suspect we are trying to pull something.” Braydon countered. If they played their cards poorly in such a strategy, it could just end up making their battle harder.

“That is why we tell him that we have given Baron Abel our assurance to protect his back in return for old lands that were taken by the old Viscounts of Kirton in Walker’s territory. We tell him that we do not intend to hold up the bargain because it risks too much for too little. He does not yet know of our mercenaries, we can use that.” Braydon had almost forgotten that she was the master of reading people, a cold sweat broke out when he thought of ever being on the opposing side of her machinations.

“And he will buy that?”

“He’d be a fool not to at least make a move. Anything that reduces the number of men on his walls makes it that much easier to take Mapjess. Once we have the town in hand, it will not be too late to join the other battles that are happening elsewhere.”

“For now I shall agree, let’s continue this with Rhydian’s input. He might be able to think of things that you may have missed.” Braydon’s approval was enough So long as she got Rhydian to patch up anywhere she may have overlooked her plan would go into effect.


As they came up to the castle, Gerald informed them that the mercenaries had made camp on the low ground a bit away from the gates. It appeared that everything had gone smoothly on Rhydian’s end. They had managed to hire just over 500 men, nearly emptying out the funds Braydon had remaining from the King in the process. But that would not really matter if he managed to pull off Nela’s plan. It was not like he was going to hire them on a permanent basis, so worrying about their long term cost was not an issue.

When they entered the castle, Rhydian was waiting for them. They did not have long before attacking Mapjess, so making sure everyone was on the same page was crucial. Rather than speaking in the middle of the bailey they made their way up to his study, a more convenient and private place for such matters.

“So, I presume Lady Nela made Baron Abel a very uncomfortable man.” Rhydian stated more than questioned, everyone of Braydon’s closest advisors knew how scary she was by now.

“Indeed, he looked like he was about to cry.” Braydon confirmed and Nela just giggled, which was a more convincing answer than any other.

“Well, Nela, I will let you explain your plan. You came up with it after all. And Rhydian, I would like your input on this plan to improve any deficiencies you might see.” Braydon said as he let Nela fill Rhydian in on what he had missed when he was leading his troops through Grolosar. 

“While there is nothing majorly wrong with what Lady Nela has suggested, I would like to point out that a siege battle can take considerably longer than a field battle does. It would be wise to set out for battle much earlier than you have told Baron Abel. Lest you intend for him to turn around after fighting Baron Walker and squash us between an army and the walls of Mapjess.” This was something that Braydon had not considered. While it was true that he knew defenders had an advantage, he thought that would be overcome by the difference in numbers. He had forgotten that they were on a tight time schedule.

“Indeed that would be a problem. How early do you suggest we set out? If we go too early we run the risk of drawing both Abel and Walker’s attention. That would not be a pretty scene.” Braydon agreed, but he was not without reservations of his own about the amendment that Rhydian had proposed.

“Instead of waiting for morning in two days, it would be preferable to travel through the night and set up siege before dawn breaks. It would not give us the opportunity to stage a night attack but we would be ready for an attack much sooner. It should also give Baron Monrow time to move some of his forces against Baron Abel, if we are to send that letter immediately.”

“Then that is what I will start doing. Nela, if you would not mind overseeing the wording of the letter. I am sure that your words are more convincing than mine are.” Braydon asked Nela, remembering the last time she oversaw him writing a letter. ‘I will have to practise my handwriting too, writing important letters is stressful enough without them being rejected for looking sloppy.’ Of course when thinking of writing under her supervision the wording was not the only impression she had left.

“Why, it would be my pleasure.” He was sure her smile became sweeter at the thought of bringing him more pain.

“And Rhydian, the men will have to expedite their preparations, make sure to tell Corban that. I am sure that he wants to know of any logistical changes as soon as possible.”

“Definitely, Sire.” When Braydon saw that Rhydian had not started to leave he knew there was something else.

“Is there something more Rhydian?”

“I know you are planning on fighting, but I will not allow you to be on the walls before we have secured a footing up there. I do not want to see your head parading on a pike.” ‘He caught me, tsk.’ Braydon had been planning to do just that. He couldn't help but be excited at the thought of taking part in a siege. Even though he had warned himself before that he did not want to meet the same end as his father had.

“Of course, why would you ever think I would do that?

“...” Rhydian’s wordless stare said it all.

“Okay, okay. I won’t. You’ll be there to stop me anyway.”

“Good.”

62